Road to a Championship start here, 2022 Draft.

Moderator: bwgood77

Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,687

Re: Road to a Championship start here, 2022 Draft. 

Post#1501 » by Whole Truth » Thu Apr 4, 2024 11:52 am

Pipp33 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:1st Q Suns 46 - 28, down 24, Daniels was subbed in, Pels cut the lead to 18 to close the Q.

Rest of game due to the decision to play Daniels

2nd Q Suns 28 - 26
3rd Q Pels 36 - 29
4th Q Pels 21 - 21

Pels + 5 in the following 3Q's.

Daniels only Pel +10.

If after this game where you watch 3 players sit in the key with CJ's spacing on court & don't realize the difference in this game was Daniels ball pressure, IDK what else to say.

Couldn't agree more.

Pels biggest issue is what to do with CJ, as IMO, he does not fit how they should be playing (need to also address the C spot)

Unfortunately Green doesn't see it the same way. He's riding CJ's inefficiency to losses with BI out. Last 4-5 games CJ is making 8-10 shots on 24 FGA's' at 35% efficiency & this team is looking like it's lottery bound.

Last night vs Orlando. Daniels was 4 of 5 from 3 punishing Orlando for leaving him open but was a team high -18. Not shockingly, Nance was also -15 in an all defensive lineup around CJ throwing up bricks for 3 Q's. Worst thing that could have happened was CJ got hot 4th Q & the team made a run. When the game got close it was a CJ brick or TO that shorted the comeback.

Mentioned it at the point of trade & several time after. This team & a volume efficient Zion was going to play down to CJ's 35% efficiency because he's a streaky volume shooter, scorer not PG facilitator playing an off ball spacing role to more efficient options.

With BI out over the last 4 games, losses, CJ has taken 100 FGA's at 35% efficiency. IMO can't blame either centre for that kind of inefficiency but apparently Green does but favors Nance's defense despite matchups. Which kind of makes sense to want a defensive C with your guard coming up empty on 75 possessions in 4 games span. Equivalent to a player x shooting 0-18 every game on average. At some point I'm hoping Green will realize its better to play through a more efficient front court with the defensive compensation (Daniels/Herb) at guard not Nance at C to compensate for CJ's inefficiency..

Jonas - Zion - BI - Herb - Daniels +20 (100 mins) 5-5 vs top of the West
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#1502 » by Whole Truth » Thu Apr 4, 2024 12:18 pm

Pipp 33, can you expand your thoughts on the Centre rotation ? because I think it's not great but adequate, more affected by the decisions being made. Considering the max money Pels have tied up in ZIon, BI & CJ cap wise it would be hard pressed to do better than Vucevic at half the price (Jonas( & a small ball option in Nance. Jonas is 15 10 2 on 60% efficiency, in 25 mins at 15m not 30. Nance can switch defensively & occasionally hit the 3 ball at a 40% clip if open. Jonas is matchup dominant & doesn't complain fuss when benched. IMO, problem with matchup dominant players is in game recognition.

I think the biggest issue is Green not matching up his 2 options ideally. For instance vs Boston. Green had Nance on Progs size & got badly outrebounded, where Prog didn't have to work defensively either with Nance being a non threat & Boston wanted Tillman's speed on Jonas. It should have been the other way around.

Last night with Herb & Daniels on court. The defensive compensation I'd like to see with Jonas & ZIon's offensive efficiency,. Green went all defense with Nance, so with 2 players the team plays 4 on 5 with generally, he had the team playing 3 on 5 with that decision & let CJ chuck the game away as the only real offensive threat. Reason Daniels & Nance were team high's +/- negatives despite Daniels going 4-5 from 3 & punishing Orlando for leaving him open, which is usually how teams run his defense off court.

Down this home stretch, less Jonas & more CJ is racking up the L's.

Earlier in the season when it was Jonas, Zion, BI, Herb, Daniels they went 5-5 against the top of the West with Nance, CJ, Murphy, Jose all injured for a short bench that got outplayed. During this run it was mainly BI until Jose recently got hurt & they're looking like a lottery team with CJ averaging 24 FGA's a game despite Zion individually playing better now than the start of the season.

I don't think any centre will makeup for a player taking a 100 FGA's in 4 games at 35% efficiency. JMO. It's one thing if you shoot a low efficiency & can play defense. CJ gets hunted on top the low efficiency & people wonder why Portland never got anywhere.

Need to upgrade Nurkic was also the cry. He's doing well in Phoenix.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#1503 » by Whole Truth » Thu Apr 4, 2024 1:36 pm

It's one thing to demand effort from your players but effort needs proper guidance or it leads to frustration. 3 hard working players with a calm demeanor got ejected after last nights loss.

I'm just glad Jonas is not playing 2nd halves or the blame would be falling at his slow feet, lol

Gotta play harder & faster to cleanup CJ coming up empty on roughly 15 possessions a game. Jonas you're 3-3 with 7 points & 6 boards in 19 mins take a seat. we need Nance for cleanup duty. I want to play a highly inefficient guard who also gets hunted defensively, why oh why does the offensive big man who's worth is in offensive efficiency & rebounding get run off court ... = lack of efficiency & defensive compensation. This team is losing literally because they're trying to make CJ work.

Casey 2.0. Great defensive assistant on a Championship Mavs team, poor in game & player recognition as head coach.

To make matters worse, CJ is taking up 30 mil of the cap for non defensive high volume inefficiency.
Pipp33
Rookie
And1: 651

Post#1504 » by Pipp33 » Thu Apr 4, 2024 11:17 pm

Whole Truth wrote:Pipp 33, can you expand your thoughts on the Centre rotation ? because I think it's not great but adequate, more affected by the decisions being made. Considering the max money Pels have tied up in ZIon, BI & CJ cap wise it would be hard pressed to do better than Vucevic at half the price (Jonas( & a small ball option in Nance. Jonas is 15 10 2 on 60% efficiency, in 25 mins at 15m not 30. Nance can switch defensively & occasionally hit the 3 ball at a 40% clip if open. Jonas is matchup dominant & doesn't complain fuss when benched. IMO, problem with matchup dominant players is in game recognition.

I think the biggest issue is Green not matching up his 2 options ideally. For instance vs Boston. Green had Nance on Progs size & got badly outrebounded, where Prog didn't have to work defensively either with Nance being a non threat & Boston wanted Tillman's speed on Jonas. It should have been the other way around.

Last night with Herb & Daniels on court. The defensive compensation I'd like to see with Jonas & ZIon's offensive efficiency,. Green went all defense with Nance, so with 2 players the team plays 4 on 5 with generally, he had the team playing 3 on 5 with that decision & let CJ chuck the game away as the only real offensive threat. Reason Daniels & Nance were team high's +/- negatives despite Daniels going 4-5 from 3 & punishing Orlando for leaving him open, which is usually how teams run his defense off court.

Down this home stretch, less Jonas & more CJ is racking up the L's.

Earlier in the season when it was Jonas, Zion, BI, Herb, Daniels they went 5-5 against the top of the West with Nance, CJ, Murphy, Jose all injured for a short bench that got outplayed. During this run it was mainly BI until Jose recently got hurt & they're looking like a lottery team with CJ averaging 24 FGA's a game despite Zion individually playing better now than the start of the season.

I don't think any centre will makeup for a player taking a 100 FGA's in 4 games at 35% efficiency. JMO. It's one thing if you shoot a low efficiency & can play defense. CJ gets hunted on top the low efficiency & people wonder why Portland never got anywhere.

Need to upgrade Nurkic was also the cry. He's doing well in Phoenix.

I'm not going to profess to be super knowledgeable on the Pels rotations, as whilst I watch a lot of basketball, that's across many teams, so don't see Pels play every game. I'm an Aussie, so always watch an extended highlight packages of teams with Aussie players, Pels and OKC are the ones I watch most). Gives me something to enjoy, as being a Bulls fan is a miserable experience :banghead:

Val is certainly not a bad option, but if Pels want to become a better team, that rotation needs to be upgraded IMO.

Vucevic is an option, but he's not very efficient now and his defence is average on the good night. WCJ would be a solid fit IMO, but can't see Magic giving him up easily, as he's on a great contract.

So do Pels just look for some spot minute bigs? Can't see any key bigs that will be available and will suit playing with Zion without the other team wanting BI or other key players in return.

Some cheap options could be a guy like Jock Landale. Can hit the O boards and is a fighter. Can knock down the 3 if open (although % is not great, that is partly due to up and down court time) and will be a cheaper option for 10-12 minutes a night. Duop Reath would be another cheap option, he's not a great rebounder..but certainly a willing shooter and long arms. (Not intentionally suggesting Aussies, they are just guys that will be cheap and I've seen a lot of throughout their careers). Nick Richards may also be an option for back up/spot minutes

Zion is not an easy player to fit a GOOD C alongside, as the depth of quality defensive bigs, who can also stretch the floor is limited and highly sought after. With the Pels cap, there's very little chance they are spending solid money at the 5.

If they commit to playing Herb and Dyson together for extended minutes next season, the quality of the defense from the C spot may not be as important.

Personally, I'd be trying to get rid of CJ for expirings and hope they don't have to add much value to that. Free up some cap, and with Val off contract, they may be able to package the expirings/picks for something . The problem with that is CJ's contract is hard to match with any teams that may be willing to eat it for a few years. One option is CJ to the Nets for Ben Simmons, who is an expiring deal and then move Simmons to a 3rd team, but I just can't see any team eating CJ's deal without some major pick incentives or quality young guys attached to the deal.

Tough team to sort out.......as I really hate watching them with CJ having a green light
Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#1505 » by Whole Truth » Fri Apr 5, 2024 12:51 am

Pipp33 wrote:I'm not going to profess to be super knowledgeable on the Pels rotations, as whilst I watch a lot of basketball, that's across many teams, so don't see Pels play every game. I'm an Aussie, so always watch an extended highlight packages of teams with Aussie players, Pels and OKC are the ones I watch most). Gives me something to enjoy, as being a Bulls fan is a miserable experience :banghead:

Val is certainly not a bad option, but if Pels want to become a better team, that rotation needs to be upgraded IMO.

Vucevic is an option, but he's not very efficient now and his defence is average on the good night. WCJ would be a solid fit IMO, but can't see Magic giving him up easily, as he's on a great contract.

So do Pels just look for some spot minute bigs? Can't see any key bigs that will be available and will suit playing with Zion without the other team wanting BI or other key players in return.

Some cheap options could be a guy like Jock Landale. Can hit the O boards and is a fighter. Can knock down the 3 if open (although % is not great, that is partly due to up and down court time) and will be a cheaper option for 10-12 minutes a night. Duop Reath would be another cheap option, he's not a great rebounder..but certainly a willing shooter and long arms. (Not intentionally suggesting Aussies, they are just guys that will be cheap and I've seen a lot of throughout their careers). Nick Richards may also be an option for back up/spot minutes

Zion is not an easy player to fit a GOOD C alongside, as the depth of quality defensive bigs, who can also stretch the floor is limited and highly sought after. With the Pels cap, there's very little chance they are spending solid money at the 5.

If they commit to playing Herb and Dyson together for extended minutes next season, the quality of the defense from the C spot may not be as important.

Personally, I'd be trying to get rid of CJ for expirings and hope they don't have to add much value to that. Free up some cap, and with Val off contract, they may be able to package the expirings/picks for something . The problem with that is CJ's contract is hard to match with any teams that may be willing to eat it for a few years. One option is CJ to the Nets for Ben Simmons, who is an expiring deal and then move Simmons to a 3rd team, but I just can't see any team eating CJ's deal without some major pick incentives or quality young guys attached to the deal.

Tough team to sort out.......as I really hate watching them with CJ having a green light

Of the starters Jonas & Zion have the highest 2 man pairing at +5, Nance is -2 & so is CJ. The only player with a higher 2 man pairing with Zion, is Daniels & I think maybe Murphy.

The reason people think center is an issue with Jonas is in part due to CJ's inefficiency & perimeter defense. Jonas worth is in his efficiency & rebounding (Closing defensive possessions) With CJ on court he's lucky to get more than 4 FGA's while having to run around like a chicken on defense in CJ's volume inefficiency.. Apposed to when Daniels started. Daniels in relation is low usage & elite man defense which compliments both Jonas & Zion's efficiency.

There's proof of Zion - BI - Herbs success with Jonas, Daniels

With CJ, Murphy, Nance & Jose out. Borrego standing in for Green after losing 4 straight decided to start Daniels with Herb against the Mavs. Over the following 9 game span, that starting lineup posted a +20 rating in a 100 minutes, short 4 rotation players & with a non productive bench went 6-3. The team was 6-7 without CJ because the first 4 losses they were starting the rookie Hawkins.

They beat Denver, Mavs, Clippers. Kings 2x, Wolves. Lost in Utah on the back end of 3 games in 4 nights mile high, short handed with Zion resting. Utah again & your Bulls. The bench struggling & fatigue was a big reason they didn't go 9-0 with that starting rotation. No loss greater than 1-2 possessions. With CJ, Murphy, Jose & Ryan out, which is basically all the teams shooters minus the rookie Hawkins. Utah was able to successfully zone with a lengthy shot blocker the Pels efficient post threats. They effectively played off of Daniels who couldn't drive against their shot blocker & that was it, CJ returned & they never went back to that success.

Now with BI, Jose out & Green reducing Jonas minutes significantly to play Nance with CJ. This team is getting man handled. 1-4 in their last 5 games in an equivalent SOS stretch Pels found early success with Jonas & Daniels as mentioned above.

Summary

(Missing CJ, Nance, Murphy, Jose)
Jonas - Zion - Bi - Herb - Daniels = (Mavs W, Danver W, Kings 2x W, Clippers W, Utah 2x L, Bulls L, Wolves W)

(Missing BI, Jose)
Nance & CJ with Jonas minutes significantly reduced = (Portland W, OKC L, Bucks W, Boston L, Suns L, Magic L)
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#1506 » by Whole Truth » Fri Apr 5, 2024 1:18 am

There's no way this team doesn't know CJ & Jonas combined defense is like oil & water. I'm starting to think more Nance & less Jonas (who's expiring) has more to do with you handing CJ 30m for the next 2yrs than what's actually taking place on court. Maybe trying to save face on a poor max signing ...

100 minutes in a strong part of the early schedule, suggests Daniels should be starting but he's not making 30m.
Pipp33
Rookie
And1: 651

Post#1507 » by Pipp33 » Fri Apr 5, 2024 2:30 am

Whole Truth wrote:There's no way this team doesn't know CJ & Jonas combined defense is like oil & water. I'm starting to think more Nance & less Jonas (who's expiring) has more to do with you handing CJ 30m for the next 2yrs than what's actually taking place on court. Maybe trying to save face on a poor max signing ...

100 minutes in a strong part of the early schedule, suggests Daniels should be starting but he's not making 30m.

Thanks for the breakdown of their rotations and can see what's going on.

Yes, CJ's signing is/was a horrible decision.

1 thing that always amazes me is when teams keep sticking with players that they know deep down can't give them the results they're hoping for, but the GM was the one who signed them, so they want to ride it out in the hope that something changes (without changing anything)

Chicago is the perfect example of this. Should have blown it up 18-24 months ago and got good returns on Demar and Lavine, but were resistant for whatever reason (some hope that Lonzo may come back would have been a factor). And even this past year, they've refused to do anything...our last trade was Markkanen to the Cavs :banghead:

Some owners/GM's are just happy to be competing for the play-in.
Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#1508 » by Whole Truth » Fri Apr 5, 2024 12:27 pm

Pipp33 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:There's no way this team doesn't know CJ & Jonas combined defense is like oil & water. I'm starting to think more Nance & less Jonas (who's expiring) has more to do with you handing CJ 30m for the next 2yrs than what's actually taking place on court. Maybe trying to save face on a poor max signing ...

Thanks for the breakdown of their rotations and can see what's going on.

Yes, CJ's signing is/was a horrible decision.

1 thing that always amazes me is when teams keep sticking with players that they know deep down can't give them the results they're hoping for, but the GM was the one who signed them, so they want to ride it out in the hope that something changes (without changing anything)

Chicago is the perfect example of this. Should have blown it up 18-24 months ago and got good returns on Demar and Lavine, but were resistant for whatever reason (some hope that Lonzo may come back would have been a factor). And even this past year, they've refused to do anything...our last trade was Markkanen to the Cavs :banghead:

Some owners/GM's are just happy to be competing for the play-in.

It's funny you bring up your Bulls & Derozan. I've followed Jonas from his time in Toronto to Memphis to NO's where he played with Derozan in Toronto. Jonas & Derozan is what Vucevic & Derozan are now except Derozan is a much better player now after his stint with the Spurs & Pop. The issues I'm describing now with Jonas & CJ is your Bulls same core issue. Except Jonas is a better option than Vucevic on many fronts. The main being production cost. Jonas is (15/10/2) on 60% efficiency, 15m.

Unlike Vucevic, he's not a full time starter at 25minutes, he's matchup dominant & his salary allows him to be without impacting the cap. His rebounding rate is higher. His efficiency rate is higher, He's an elite screener & roller if Pels actually had a PG who could run an effective PNR. He & Lowry were the 50 win Raptors bread & butter offense in the PNR & some NO's fans are saying Jonas can't roll or rebound, lol. Mainly because of how he's being used with Zion. What's funny is Jonas is more diversified today than then but it comes down to his utilization & Green. He's basically spacing the floor for Zion without getting touches because of CJ's high usage. CJ is a scorer who takes 15 shots a game on top of Zion & BI, not a PNR guard, off ball compliment & facilitator.

The issue you are seeing & Jonas problem is Green wants him to be Tyson Chandler like Casey used to for the purpose of cleaning up after Derozan/CJ's inefficiency. Derozan was like a son to Casey. Blinders on. Jonas career could have been much different but he's a no fuss professional who doesn't complain (everything has it's pro's & cons) & he did what was asked & got booted from a contender that won the Chip for it same yr... reason I've followed him through 3 teams. Without Jonas, better believe, NO's are not in the PO's at this point. CJ has missed 10+ games, Zion 10+ & now BI. He's been reliable consistency playing all but maybe 1 game & in those games missed by the 3 "stars" he's in the top 2 performers in those wins out of necessity not purpose, lol.

Jonas went from the Raptors to a 22 win Memphis team as an expiring filler in trade for their franchise player Gasol. Memphis wanted Delon Wright as their Conley replacement to rebuild before they lucked into the #2 pick & drafted JA. They let Delon go & signed Jonas to a team friendly 15m & with the rookie JA, Memphis made the PO's in yr 2 without 3J playing the entire yr. Same thing happened in NO''s. Traded for Adams to a non PO NO's team for Memphis future SF Zaire at the #10 pick & in his first yr in NO's with Zion out all yr, they too made the PO's with him & BI. Though everyone gaves credit to the CJ trade, despite how the team was already trending. Current NO's were just 4th seed & sunk to 7th as Green is starting to play more Nance, CJ & less Jonas. People see his individual defensive issues but a lot of what he provides is team oriented. NO's have a team high 121 offensive rating with Jonas on & a team low 109 drtg. He's neither the best offensive option nor defensive option but both ends flow better with him on court with the right balance of players like the Daniels lineup I showed with CJ out. Theat lineup has the 60% efficiency of Jonas/Zion, BI as the creator/facilitator & Herb/Daniels the complimentary defensive ball pressure & this is before Herb became a real threat from 3. So the spacing would be better now than then also.

Derozan went to a 40+ win PO Spurs team for Kawhi who missed the entire yr. He was supposed to be pure addition to that 40 win team. They missed the PO's for the first time in yrs & ended up having to rebuild before Spurs traded him to the Bulls. Bright side for the Spurs, they ended up with Wemby.

With CJ, young teams like OKC & Magic have surpassed the Pels. as this team rides the CJ inefficiency roller coaster. All I see is a player blocking a better option in Daniels who needs the PT to fully develop & Pels have already wasted 2yrs.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#1509 » by Whole Truth » Sat Apr 6, 2024 1:02 pm

We out here making Devonte Graham look like Booker when he only usually plays in garbage time. Spurs 6-8 from 3 2nd Q, who's decision was it to go zone?. Doesn't matter what the stats say in other games, Spurs were hot from 3 in this game, adjust accordingly. It's one thing to be mindful of stats, still have to use them accordingly.

Player efficiency X showed up again with an 0-16 night, with 3 TO for 19 empty possessions with the Spurs starting guard rotation out.

You would think if Pels lost this game it would be on the back of Wemby out performing Jonas/Nance. Not Graham out performing CJ. The garbage time player for the Spurs put up a team leading 20pts in 25mins on 15 shots. Take away the late CJ 3 none guarded with the game out of reach, he was 12-28 for 28 pts when the game mattered. Which is 2 more points than Jonas 26, on an additional 16 FGA's. Have to love that inefficiency to utilize him the way you do. Are you starting to see how teams with strong guard play make easy work of this team ? Empty possessions are empty possessions. Might as well be 19 TO's. Spurs generated their offense off his missed shots with the defense not set. That's how Graham got his game off.

Can't make the excuse of not having BI either. Spurs were relying on Graham who only plays in garbage time for them & he led them in scoring.

Nah, if you get rid of Jonas for Allen who requires spacing & being set up offensively, it would rectify CJ's inefficiency & teams zoning Zion. lol.

Jonas finally utilized offensively, out of necessity, put up 27/7/7 on 12 shots, effectively outplaying Wemby which should have won the game but it's hard to overcome 19 empty possessions from 1 player & this with Spurs playing their 3rd stringers.

Second half was CJ's time to shine & it was costly.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#1510 » by Whole Truth » Sat Apr 6, 2024 1:14 pm

Having said that. Seeing the Pels as 12 point favorites with ZIon/BI out & Wemby playing. This was JA's return game all over again. Someone bet heavy on the dog.

Jonas was the Pels top performer last night. His first foul was Wemby climbing his back on a defensive rebound for 2 FT's, which should have been over the back & foul on Wemby. His 2nd foul was a 50/50 ball a Spurs player tipped in his own basket called offensive. His 3rd foul was a legal move in the post that Wenby leaned into his shoulder as he made his move which should have been another foul on Wemby but ended up a 5 point swing with Spurs making a 3 next possession. Green should have challenged but didn't. With 4 fouls & a the game tied going into the 4th, Pels score the first basket with Jonas on court to go up 2 & then he's, you guessed it, fouled out & it's in this span that Spurs manage to take a lead they never relinquish. When Jonas returns at the 5 min mark Pels are down 5 from up 2. That along with several traveling violation & soft moving screens called. As bad as CJ played 2nd half, this game was manipulated.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#1511 » by Whole Truth » Sat Apr 6, 2024 10:41 pm

I got around to reading some comments on last nights game & see CJ fans blaming Jonas defense for the Spurs 3rd Q comeback LMAO.

Were talking about the same Q CJ went 2-9 with 7 empty possessions. Even if Jonas was an elite defender, that inefficiency is 42 potential points the defense has to account for from 1 player.

CJ subbed out 3rd Q after his 2-7 shooting helped Spurs cut the first 10pt lead to 2.

Daniels makes jumper (84-80)
Nance steals
Murphy dunk (86-80)
Murphy steals

Green decides to go back to CJ & takes Daniels out 2:25 up 6 with possession.
Hawkins 3 point miss
Nance bad pass, Graham 3 (86-83)
CJ misses jump shot
Naji defensive rebound
CJ misses 3 point shot, Graham 3 (86-86) with Pels having possession to start the 4th.

Jonas on court Pels make first basket of the 4th to go up 2 when Jonas is fouled out.

CJ fans saying CJ has to over compensate because none else was doing anything but with both Jonas & CJ off court, Nance, Daniels & Murphy built the lead backup to 6 & had possession of the ball when Green decides he needed CJ's 2-7 shooting. Who collapses his 2nd 8pt lead of the Q with his 2-9 shooting. Graham scored a quick 6 points to tie the game. Pels having possession to start the 4th.

They try to explain away his inefficiency as needed. Explain to me the difference between halves, lol.

CJ is a streaky volume player. He's a bad fit with this roster because both Jonas & Zion are poor defenders who are effective in efficiency. CJ has the worse 2 man pairing with Zion because ..... he's volume inefficiency whch offsets Zion's volume efficiency & neither play defense.

Reason Daniels elite defense with the starters is +20 during a tough stretch of games. Jonas & ZIon volume efficiency, BI creation, Herb & Daniels elite perimeter defense compensation. Balancing offense & defense. Reason Daniels has the best 2 man pairing with Zion ... low usage where ZIon gets more touches & elite defensive compensation because with CJ on court there's still 3-4 player waiting for Zion in the paint. Difference being if Daniels misses his open shot the team stands a chance at getting a stops. Playing 4 on 5 with Daniels is a better option than CJ coming up empty on 16 possessions a game with no defensive compensation, again the difference between +20 with Jonas/Daniels & -1 with Nance/CJ
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#1512 » by Whole Truth » Sat Apr 6, 2024 10:44 pm

Greens problem is CJ is the highest paid player on roster & has to start as a result of that fact. When his best role for this team is 6th man. A hot & cold player like CJ. If he's hot off the bench ride him, if he's not ...

Green taking blows to save face on a poor trade & signing.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#1513 » by Whole Truth » Mon Apr 8, 2024 12:32 am

Zion 5 blocks playing great help defense, hitting mid range shots & looking every bit a franchise player in a must win.

CJ - 31 points on 12 of 22 shooting, picked a great night to have an efficient game. Give him his flowers.

Booker finally held to under 50, credit Herb, Daniels, Jose, Nance & Green.

Most importantly. Nobody was forcing shots tonight. AD gets it. None played the hero & the ball didn't stick. Hmmm I wonder why CJ was more efficient in this one... He took a lot of shots but nothing was forced.

Nice win.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#1514 » by Whole Truth » Mon Apr 8, 2024 10:51 am

After last night, man say if Green has the guts to play small with Nance & smaller with Zion at the 5 this team has a chance, putting blame square on Jonas shoulders though he's been riding bench. Green has literally been going small without Jonas for this losing home stretch, lol. The lone Bucks win during it, Jonas was on court 4th Q opening a small lead where the starters didn't have to return. he was also the reason Pels had any chance of beating the Spurs short Zion, BI & Jose outplaying Wemby. Spurs are now 6 of their last 7. If CJ could have hit 2-3 of 16 misses, Pels probably win.

Goung small. like they have been is not ultimately why they won last night. CJ shoots his usual 30-35% forcing things, they don't win this game. CJ at 55%, wins the Spurs game & probably other games lost in this stretch..

What I have been saying concerning starting Daniels over CJ, is defensive compensation to Jonas & Zion's 60% efficiency. Jonas is consistently 15pts on 60% efficiency low volume usage, Zion is volime at 57% efficiency. CJ is consistently 19pts on 45% efficiency, high volume usage. Last night CJ was at 55% efficiency high usage, so I had no issue with Green taking Jonas out for an additional defender, same recipe. CJ playing more efficient in this one, is why the small ball lineup that Green HAS been going to, finally worked.

Problem is, as my last post stated. CJ is a streaky player who runs hot & cold. When he's cold, I can actually say because Green hasn't done it to this point, with CJ healthy. Would he have the guts to go big with Jonas & a perimeter defender in CJ is off & Jonas has a favorable matchup ,.. Better EFFICIENCY & defensive compensation, the reason they won last night. Jonas consistent efficiency with a healthy CJ doesn't get the same defensive compensation or usage with him on court, which is why the matchup efficient offensive big is run off the court, in inefficiency & lack of defensive compensation.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#1515 » by Whole Truth » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:18 am

CJ playing efficient again, is good to see. 7-13 for 17 points.

For the Pels fan that said small with Nance & smaller with Zion is it. Against Portland & the 28th ranked offense

Jonas 9 mins - +5
Nance 11 mins -13
Zion 18 mins -1

This, with Jonas having an inefficient game 2-7. He shoots his normal 60% Pels have the lead going into the half

Why are Pels down. They shooting 30% from 3 to 36% for Portland who are not a good 3pt shooting team.

One word - efficiency.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#1516 » by Whole Truth » Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:29 am

Zion getting fouled like crazy..
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#1517 » by Whole Truth » Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:26 am

Murphy 31 points on 17 shots, CJ 29 points on 19 shots. Efficiency. Both played great games.

Turning point.. Jonas enters the game 2nd Q Pels down 7 & is subbed out Pels up 9. Small ball stretched the lead. I can't wait to hear how this team can do without Jonas, lol.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#1518 » by Whole Truth » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:07 am

Pels 1 point favorites against a team they've beaten 4 times this year. Expect a bad whistle tonight.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#1519 » by Whole Truth » Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:11 am

What's the obsession with CJ ?

5 pt game, Jose replaces CJ. Pels go on 18-0 run. 23 pt game CJ is subbed back in, Kings go on 12-0 run

Zion +18
Herb +19
Jonas +12
Murphy +8
CJ -11
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#1520 » by Whole Truth » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:27 am

I want to know what people are watching lol. Jose changed the game.

Jonas +16
Zion +16
Murphy +15
Jones +12

CJ -11

Jose +17

Return to New Orleans Pelicans