Keeper League Question (Bryce Harper)

Moderator: TyCobb

mini
Bench Warmer
And1: 115

Keeper League Question (Bryce Harper) 

Post#1 » by mini » Sun May 1, 2011 3:07 pm

Hey everyone. I am in a pretty standard Yahoo Keeper league (R, HR, RBI, SB, XBH, AVG, BB) with 14 managers. We are allowed to keep 8 guys for the next following years. I'm basically wondering what people think the value of Harper will be going forward?

It appears to me that he will be losing his C availability. Does he have more value for me in a trade this year, or is he worth my patience?

Currently the guys who I will most likely be keeping are (Mauer, Fielder, Cano, Castro, Jose Bautista, Mike Stanton/Chris Young, Grienke, Pineda, Harper). I would have to pick 8 from that list.

Should I try to consolidate Harper and a Young/Grienke for a stud starter/closer?

Thanks for your help guys!

C: Mauer/Arencibia/Bryce Harper
mini
Bench Warmer

Re: Keeper League Question (Bryce Harper) 

Post#2 » by mini » Sun May 1, 2011 3:10 pm

Sorry, part was cut...

C: Mauer/Arencibia/Bryce Harper
1B: Fielder
2B: Cano/Cuddyer/Figgins
3B: Bautista/Cuddyer/Figgins/Alvarez
SS: Castro
OF: Bautista, Stanton, BJ Upton, Chris Young, Snider, Harper

SP: Grienke, Pineda, De la Rosa, Matusz, Lowe, Ervin Santana
RP: Broxton, Valverde, Bard, Madson, Lidge, Farnsworth
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,799

Post#3 » by Rafael122 » Fri Jun 3, 2011 8:24 pm

He's not expected to be in the majors until 2013, if that. Why are you drafting him so early?
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
mini
Bench Warmer

Post#4 » by mini » Sat Jun 4, 2011 9:11 pm

Rafael122 wrote:He's not expected to be in the majors until 2013, if that. Why are you drafting him so early?

Drafted him late rounds, figured he'd have some trade value at the end of the year or next year. But, given the fact that I now have a pretty deep keeper squad (traded for Bautista, Cano, and Mauer after the draft) I may deal Harper earlier. Don't think he has value?
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,799

Post#5 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jun 7, 2011 6:08 pm

I don't think so but that's just me. He's 2 years away, what are you going to trade him for?
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
mini
Bench Warmer

Post#6 » by mini » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:00 pm

Rafael122 wrote:I don't think so but that's just me. He's 2 years away, what are you going to trade him for?

I don't know, but with 8 keepers I think that there will be a market. I may just hang on to him. My team is pretty stacked and I'm sitting in 2nd right now without Mauer and after losing De la Rosa/Broxton. I could use a starter. I will probably wait till later in the season and offer a keeper package to a team that's out of it.

Maybe I could get an Oswalt-type at the deadline.
OldNo7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 60

Post#7 » by OldNo7 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:46 am

Harper was taken in my keeper league this year, he definitely has keeper value, albeit less as an outfielder than as a catcher.

From your list I would definitely keep Mauer, Fielder, Cano, Castro, Bautista, Stanton, Pineda, Greinke though, with Harper only coming into play if you don't feel Mauer will return to form after his injuries.
Twitter: @NickObergan
mini
Bench Warmer

Post#8 » by mini » Mon Aug 8, 2011 2:47 pm

OldNo7 wrote:Harper was taken in my keeper league this year, he definitely has keeper value, albeit less as an outfielder than as a catcher.

From your list I would definitely keep Mauer, Fielder, Cano, Castro, Bautista, Stanton, Pineda, Greinke though, with Harper only coming into play if you don't feel Mauer will return to form after his injuries.

Hmmm. I was thinking of for-sure keeping Fielder, Cano, Bautista, Pineda, Greinke, Mauer.

I am still undecided between Castro (I think that he is keeper worthy, but I also think I could get a fair replacement if I have to at SS... an Escobar-type etc at the draft). I also don't know between Stanton and Stubbs. I was thinking of keeping Stubbs because he will provide more R, SB and likely more AVG. It would seem that he balances the power that I have throughout my lineup. I'm sort-of shopping Stanton right now hoping to get some huge pitching depth for the playoffs.
I am also concerned about Mauer. I think I keep him this year.

Also, I have Brett Lawrie. I would like to keep him, but think I can get him in the draft. Keep him instead of Castro?

I love all my keepers and I'm torn on the issue.

So I keep Mauer, Fielder, Cano, Bautista, Stubbs, Grienke, Pineda.

I then need to decide on Castro/Lawrie/Harper/Stanton. Is Harper worth the wait? Do I risk exposing him and hope to re-draft? Hmmmm.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#9 » by bigboy1234 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:01 am

You realize Stanton may actually be your best keeper, right?
mini
Bench Warmer

Post#10 » by mini » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:17 pm

Too late, I dealt Stanton. I loved him and wanted to keep him, but with the power I have at other positions I felt I could deal him... plus, OF is easy enough to replace. I also felt like the Marlins roster would hold Stanton back a bit. I dealt him for Gio Gonzalez, Beachy, and a first rounder next year (top 3 likely). I needed K's, K/IP, W's, and the first rounder will basically be a 9th keeper for me in essence. I'm in first currently and should be set-up nicely for next year. The trade market was better for Stanton obviously than my other guys (plus, I didn't have another C,1B,2B,3B or SS to back-up if I were to deal one).

So, assuming I keep Mauer, Fielder, Cano, Bautista, Grienke, and Pineda... who should be my last 2 keepers out of Stubbs/Castro/Lawrie/Harper? I'm thinking of keeping Lawrie and Stubbs... sort of torn on the issue though. I'm a Jays fan too, so I'm being biased toward Lawrie.
mini
Bench Warmer

Post#11 » by mini » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:14 pm

Just to update, I dealt Castro and Gio Gonzalez for Jose Reyes.

So now my keepers are...
Mauer
Fielder
Cano
Bautista
Reyes

Pineda
Grienke

Still need to decide on a last keeper out of Lawrie/Harper/Stubbs. I think I'll keep Lawrie for position purposes.

Return to Fantasy Baseball