ImageImageImage

Around The League News And Rumors (Non-Braves)

Moderator: HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,013

Re: Around The League News And Rumors (Non-Braves) 

Post#841 » by HMFFL » Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:38 am

Ruzious wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/01/cubs-sign-joc-pederson.html

No Duvall/Pederson platoon in LF for the Braves.

And Duvall goes to the Marlins - $5 mil guaranteed. It makes sense. The Braves non-tendered him, and after the Braves signed Ozuna - and no DH rule in the NL - there was no room for Duvall. He did well the last 2 years, but at 32 - Braves know what they're doing.
I will miss Duvall.
He won many games for us with his bat. I hate to see him go but I wish him the best.

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#842 » by HMFFL » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:17 am

Albert Pujols' wife, Deidre Pujols, wrote on Instagram Monday that "today is the first day of the last season of one of the most remarkable careers in sports!"

The obvious indication here would be that Pujols is planning to retire at the conclusion of the 2021 campaign. This is indeed the final year of the 10-year, $240 million free agent contract that he signed with the Angels back in December 2011, following a ridiculous 11-year run in St. Louis that included two World Series championships. Pujols, 41, is currently sitting on 3,236 hits, 662 home runs, and 2,100 RBI, to go along with a lifetime .299/.377/.546 batting line. He'll be a first-ballot Hall of Famer when the time comes.

SOURCE: Deidre Pujols on Instagam

Feb 22, 2021, 6:55 PM ET

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#843 » by HMFFL » Thu Apr 1, 2021 4:13 am

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that the Mets and Francisco Lindor have agreed to terms on a contract extension.

Anthony DiComo of MLB.com was first to report that the deal is for 10 years and $341 million. There are no opt outs in the deal and it contains about $50 million in deferrals, per Joel Sherman of the New York Post. Just after it seemed like negotiations had hit a wall, cooler heads prevail and a deal that always made sense to get done does, in fact, get done. Lindor's contract is for $1 million more than the deal Fernando Tatis Jr. signed last month, which certainly is no accident. It's the third-largest contract in baseball history behind Mike Trout and Mookie Betts.

SOURCE: Jon Heyman on Tw

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#844 » by Ruzious » Thu Apr 1, 2021 10:08 am

HMFFL wrote:Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that the Mets and Francisco Lindor have agreed to terms on a contract extension.

Anthony DiComo of MLB.com was first to report that the deal is for 10 years and $341 million. There are no opt outs in the deal and it contains about $50 million in deferrals, per Joel Sherman of the New York Post. Just after it seemed like negotiations had hit a wall, cooler heads prevail and a deal that always made sense to get done does, in fact, get done. Lindor's contract is for $1 million more than the deal Fernando Tatis Jr. signed last month, which certainly is no accident. It's the third-largest contract in baseball history behind Mike Trout and Mookie Betts.

SOURCE: Jon Heyman on Tw

I know he's a great player and last year was only 60 games or so, but he is coming off - by far - his worst season. Still - can't blame them - it costs to keep the best.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#845 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:20 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/06/15/tyler-glasnow-sticky-stuff-injury/

I'm sorry the guy's injured, but... I think it's hilarious he's basically saying he can't play without cheating.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#846 » by HMFFL » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:09 pm

Ruzious wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/06/15/tyler-glasnow-sticky-stuff-injury/

I'm sorry the guy's injured, but... I think it's hilarious he's basically saying he can't play without cheating.
I heard him say it this morning on ESPN and I was blown away.

Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#847 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Aug 1, 2021 4:35 pm

Mets won't sign draft pick Rocker,

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31934790/new-york-mets-plan-sign-top-pick-kumar-rocker-concerns-physical-exam-sources-say

Is he available for other teams, or would have to reenter draft in 2022? If the Braves could jump all over this, I would!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#848 » by Ruzious » Wed Aug 4, 2021 5:22 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:Mets won't sign draft pick Rocker,

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31934790/new-york-mets-plan-sign-top-pick-kumar-rocker-concerns-physical-exam-sources-say

Is he available for other teams, or would have to reenter draft in 2022? If the Braves could jump all over this, I would!

It's similar to the Carter Stewart situation we had. Rocker will be eligible for next year's draft, and the Mets will get an extra pick. Stewart actually ended up signing a 6 year deal in Japan for a total of $7 million. I guess he figured he wasn't going to be a first round pick. Gotta feel bad for Rocker. He's been rated so highly for so long. Hopefully he has a full recovery.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#849 » by HMFFL » Wed Aug 4, 2021 6:08 pm

Ruzious wrote:

It's similar to the Carter Stewart situation we had. Rocker will be eligible for next year's draft, and the Mets will get an extra pick. Stewart actually ended up signing a 6 year deal in Japan for a total of $7 million. I guess he figured he wasn't going to be a first round pick. Gotta feel bad for Rocker. He's been rated so highly for so long. Hopefully he has a full recovery.
I wish him well.
First thought is I wish we could sign him.

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#850 » by Ruzious » Wed Aug 4, 2021 6:14 pm

HMFFL wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

I wish him well.
First thought is I wish we could sign him.

Nope, he can't sign with another team, and he'll be eligible for next year's draft. In the meantime, he can go back to school, sign with an independent league, or go to Japan.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#851 » by HMFFL » Wed Sep 1, 2021 3:52 pm

John Smoltz, Al Leiter won't appear at MLB Network studios due to vaccine refusal

Hall of Fame pitcher John Smoltz and two-time All-Star Al Leiter will no longer appear in-studio at MLB Network due to their refusal to take a COVID-19 vaccine, according to Andrew Marchand of the New York Post. MLB Network reportedly made it mandatory for all its employees to be vaccinated, with the policy going into effect on Sept. 1.

Both pitchers will reportedly now work remotely on their shows with the network. Smoltz is also still set to call MLB Network's ALDS games.

https://www.aol.com/sports/report-john-smoltz-al-leiter-023024792.html?soc_src=aolapp

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#852 » by Ruzious » Wed Sep 1, 2021 6:48 pm

Well, I respect what Smoltz did as a pitcher for the Braves. Outside of that... not so much.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#853 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Sep 1, 2021 9:08 pm

Ruzious wrote:Well, I respect what Smoltz did as a pitcher for the Braves. Outside of that... not so much.

Agree. He needs to pull his head out of his arse and get vaccinated!
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#854 » by HMFFL » Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:28 am

MLB Insider Expects Max Scherzer to Re-Sign in LA on a Massive Deal

https://www.dodgersnation.com/dodgers-mlb-insider-expects-max-scherzer-to-re-sign-in-la-on-a-massive-deal/2021/11/12/amp/

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#855 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:18 pm

HMFFL wrote:MLB Insider Expects Max Scherzer to Re-Sign in LA on a Massive Deal

https://www.dodgersnation.com/dodgers-mlb-insider-expects-max-scherzer-to-re-sign-in-la-on-a-massive-deal/2021/11/12/amp/

35 mil a year for 3 years on a 37/38 year old. And with Bauer opting in on his 32 mil for 2022, they're going to have to let some of their free agents go.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#856 » by HMFFL » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:38 pm

www.rotoworld.com

Angels signed RHP Noah Syndergaard to a one-year, $21 million contract.

News of the agreement was first reported on Tuesday morning by ESPN's Jeff Passan, and now it has been made official after Syndergaard passed the necessary physical exam. There was some minor intrigue about how that physical might go given that the 29-year-old right-hander has logged only two innings at the MLB level over the last two seasons due to Tommy John surgery and a few subsequent setbacks. He had a one-year, $18.4 million qualifying offer from the Mets, which means the Angels will have to forfeit their second-highest pick in the 2022 MLB Draft along with $500,000 in international spending money.

Nov 16, 2021, 9:53 PM ET

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#857 » by HMFFL » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:09 pm

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that the Yankees and Blue Jays are in on Justin Verlander.

There's also known to be interest from the Braves and Tigers, among other clubs, and Heyman hears that the future Hall of Fame right-hander could sign "fairly soon, perhaps even this week." Verlander is said to have both one-year and multi-year options on the table. Look for him to officially decline the one-year, $18.4 million qualifying from the Astros ahead of the 5 p.m. ET deadline on Wednesday.

RELATED: 

New York Yankees

, Toronto Blue Jays

SOURCE: Jon Heyman on Twitter

Nov 17, 2021, 1:59 PM ET

https://www.nbcsportsedge.com/baseball/mlb/player-news/headlines/10436421

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#858 » by HMFFL » Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:27 pm

Bryce Harper was elected 2021 National League Most Valuable Player by the Baseball Writers Association of America. 

Harper received 17 first place votes. Juan Soto finished second with 11 votes, while Fernando Tatis Jr. was a distant third with two votes. Brandon Crawford and Trea Turner round out the top five. Harper was sensational in 2021 -- particularly in the second half -- and finished the 2021 season with a .309 average, 35 homers and 42 doubles. He joins Alex Rodriguez as players who have been drafted first overall to win multiple Most Valuable Player awards. 

RELATED: 

Juan Soto

, Fernando Tatis Jr.

SOURCE: Baseball Writers Association of America

Nov 18, 2021, 6:21 PM ET

Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#859 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:43 pm

Scherzer to Mets on an insane deal.

Seager to Rangers.

Gausman to Blue Jays.

Ray to Mariners.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#860 » by Ruzious » Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:41 am

Nemesis21 wrote:Scherzer to Mets on an insane deal.

Seager to Rangers.

Gausman to Blue Jays.

Ray to Mariners.

Mets are really spending a ton of money. They had already signed Marte and 2 other fairly highly priced free agents. Scherzer gets 43.33 mil per year - easily the highest per year contract ever signed by a pitcher. Scherzer can opt out after the 2nd year of the deal - but I doubt he will at his age - especially after he had that dead arm situation in the playoffs. Gotta wonder if this is a big mistake by NYM.

Return to Atlanta Braves