Moderator: HMFFL

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,613

Braves facing managerial changes 

Post#1 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:54 pm

Why Brian Snitker isn’t the right manager for the Braves’ future

Last fall’s decision to remove the “interim” part of Brian Snitker’s title wasn’t easy. The Braves came close to hiring Bud Black, who will receive a lot of manager-of-the-year votes for his work with Colorado. In the cold light of hindsight, they would have done better with Black.

The Braves made two mistakes in October: They allowed sentiment – upper management felt indebted to Snitker for putting a smiley face on a season that was headed toward 110 losses – to override down-the-road planning, and then they hedged that bet. They gave Snitker a one-year contract, which was the equivalent of again rendering him an interim manager.

That the one-year deal did Snitker no favor is no reason to compound an error. Next year’s Braves will be much different from that of opening day in 2017. Year 2 in SunTrust Park will feature the full-blown fruits of this massive rebuild. The Braves will need a manager to match. As it happens, there’s one on staff.

With Texas, Ron Washington steered a youngish team – much of that youth coming from the Braves in the 2007 trade for Mark Teixeira – from sub-.500 to the 2010 and 2011 World Series. Remember that bit about hedging bets? The Braves did this part rather deftly, interviewing Washington for their managerial job and hiring him as a coach but essentially as manager-in-waiting. He shouldn’t have to wait much longer.
myAJC
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Re: Braves facing managerial changes 

Post#2 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:57 pm

This has been talked about recently. Big mistake, big mistake to hire Snit over Black. As Bradley said, they allowed sentiment and feelings to cloud their decision.

Ron Washington and Bo Porter, both internal options, are at the top of the list to replace Snit.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#3 » by ATL Boy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:12 am

I don't see how we can bring back Snitker after not progressing much this season. I've made my stance known about this situation - to make the playoffs next year we need our manager to manage the pitchers very well, Snit is awful at that.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#4 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:15 pm

ATL Boy wrote:...to make the playoffs next year we need our manager to manage the pitchers very well, Snit is awful at that.

I'd settle for just a winning record at this point...
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#5 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:39 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:...to make the playoffs next year we need our manager to manage the pitchers very well, Snit is awful at that.

I'd settle for just a winning record at this point...

This, we might have been closer to the playoffs for 2018, had Black been hired. This year was kind of a waste, and we'll start over next season with a new manager.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#6 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:19 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:I'd settle for just a winning record at this point...

This, we might have been closer to the playoffs for 2018, had Black been hired. This year was kind of a waste, and we'll start over next season with a new manager.

Starting over?

Nah. The timeline is...1 year behind? I wouldn't go so far as to say it's starting over from scratch.

I definitely get your frustration. But I appreciate that a number of young guys got to play for Snit in AAA and in the majors. It helps with the adjustment. And if Washington gets the promotion to manager...it should be a rather easy transition.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#7 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:44 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:
Jamaaliver wrote:I'd settle for just a winning record at this point...

Starting over?

Nah. The timeline is...1 year behind? I wouldn't go so far as to say it's starting over from scratch.

I definitely get your frustration. But I appreciate that a number of young guys got to play for Snit in AAA and in the majors. It helps with the adjustment. And if Washington gets the promotion to manager...it should be a rather easy transition.

I didn't mean start over completely, this should have been year two of the rebuild. It was a waste for the most part, I believe we still would have seen the Swansons and Albies of the world play.

We won 68 games last season, this season should have been an improvement with wins in the 70s, near 80s. We are currently at 68 wins, with 11 games to play. We should have seen more than a 2-5 game improvement. But we didn't, next season should have been closer to the playoffs, but instead it will be another 60-70 win season.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#8 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:24 pm

Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#9 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:30 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:This has been talked about recently. Big mistake, big mistake to hire Snit over Black. As Bradley said, they allowed sentiment and feelings to cloud their decision.

Ron Washington and Bo Porter, both internal options, are at the top of the list to replace Snit.

Read on Twitter

Spoiler:
-
Read on Twitter

_

This is a surprising development.

You can only decide to go this route if you are unimpressed with the alternatives.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#10 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:42 pm

I could care less how many players go to the front office and say they want Snit back. The front office made the mistake of worrying about players feelings last winter when they hired Snit over Bud Black. This winter the front office should not worry about that. Washington and Porter are both better options than Snit. The front office needs to do what's best for the team, not worry about a player crying if Snit is not retained.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#11 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:39 pm

I'll be keeping my eye on the Kansas City Royals the next few weeks, if the part ways with Ned Yost, he'd immediately be my top choice to manage next season. Back when he was with the Braves, I always wanted him to take over after Bobby.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#12 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Oct 2, 2017 2:46 pm

Read on Twitter
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#13 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Oct 2, 2017 3:37 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:
Read on Twitter

I don't see a need for Perez and Pendleton to go, unless a new manager cleans house. I would like to see Snit replaced and a new pitching coach. Chuck Hernandez has been awful.

I'm still keeping my eye on the Royals, they may go into rebuild and might be tough for them to bring back Hosmer and Moustakas.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#14 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Oct 3, 2017 6:58 pm

Read on Twitter

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Read on Twitter

____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Read on Twitter

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have to think the uncertainty at GM played at least a small role in keeping the manager in place for one more year.

The new GM will get a chance to pick his own coaching staff next fall.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#15 » by Jamaaliver » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:05 pm

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#16 » by Jamaaliver » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:30 pm

Interesting:

\
Read on Twitter
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#17 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:21 pm

Jamaaliver wrote:Interesting:

\
Read on Twitter

WTF?! Chuck Hernandez absolutely should not stay!
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#18 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:42 pm

Terry Pendleton, Eddie Perez out as Braves coaches, Walt Weiss likely in

Prepare for more Braves upheaval: Bench coach Terry Pendleton and first-base coach Eddie Perez will be dropped from the coaching staff and former Rockies manager – and ex-Braves shortstop — Walt Weiss is the likely replacement for Pendleton as bench coach, from what I’ve been told by more than one person familiar with the situation.

Pendleton and Perez might be retained in front-office or other organizational roles, but will not be back as coaches, thereby cutting the last connection to the coaching staffs of Hall of Fame manager Bobby Cox and two of the few remaining ties to the Braves’ unprecedented run of 14 consecutive division titles. Both were extremely popular with fans and respected by past and current players.

extremely popular with fans and respected by past and current players.

Weiss, 53, served four years as Rockies manager before stepping down after the 2016 season. The Rockies were 283-365 in his four losing seasons as manager, but he was praised by players for his managerial skills and especially his ability to communicate.

The Braves aren’t expected to announce the coaching staff until an off day in the postseason schedule – that could be as soon as Saturday – and possibly not until after the World Series, if they wait until after Major League Baseball announces the findings of its much-chronicled investigation into major infractions by the Braves on multiple fronts but primarily the signing of international free agents.
AJC
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks

Post#19 » by Jamaaliver » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:47 pm

FINALLY BEEN MADE OFFICIAL:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks