Markakis - the science of his improvement

Moderator: HMFFL

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Markakis - the science of his improvement 

Post#1 » by Ruzious » Thu May 3, 2018 2:15 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.talkingchop.com/platform/amp/2018/5/1/17305972/atlanta-braves-nick-markakis-launch-angle-april-2018-plate-discipline
This is a long analysis of ol' Nick's dramatic offensive improvement so far this season. Honestly, I thought he was almost done last season, and I'm real happy to see him proving me wrong. Hopefully, it keeps up. But his W/K rate of 19/12 is amazing. He's truly a professional hitter (not to mention a technician in RF).
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Markakis - the science of his improvement 

Post#2 » by Ruzious » Thu May 3, 2018 8:57 pm

Geebus, he had a walk, single, double and homer today. And he has better stats on the road than at Atlanta, so it's not the new stadium. With him being so durable, is it crazy to think he could get 200 hits this season?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#3 » by ATL Boy » Sat May 5, 2018 4:56 pm

Nick has proven me wrong this season as well. I was clamoring to move him ASAP to make some room for Acuna and to keep Preston Tucker with how hot his bat was through spring and into the early portion of the season. Nick has quietly been one of the team's three most important players this year along with Albies and Freeman. I doubt that he's here after his contract expires in the winter but he can sure help us win now.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Ruzious » Mon May 7, 2018 2:11 pm

ATL Boy wrote:Nick has proven me wrong this season as well. I was clamoring to move him ASAP to make some room for Acuna and to keep Preston Tucker with how hot his bat was through spring and into the early portion of the season. Nick has quietly been one of the team's three most important players this year along with Albies and Freeman. I doubt that he's here after his contract expires in the winter but he can sure help us win now.

Thing is, who's going to replace him if he leaves? I don't expect they'll have any OFer ready from the minors, and Tucker's more like a 4th OFer than a starter at this point. So, if Kakes doesn't stay, do they go after Harper? Seems like they have the money. The lineup would be sick - especially if Riley is ready to take over 3B next year.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#5 » by ATL Boy » Mon May 7, 2018 9:58 pm

Ruzious wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:Nick has proven me wrong this season as well. I was clamoring to move him ASAP to make some room for Acuna and to keep Preston Tucker with how hot his bat was through spring and into the early portion of the season. Nick has quietly been one of the team's three most important players this year along with Albies and Freeman. I doubt that he's here after his contract expires in the winter but he can sure help us win now.

Thing is, who's going to replace him if he leaves? I don't expect they'll have any OFer ready from the minors, and Tucker's more like a 4th OFer than a starter at this point. So, if Kakes doesn't stay, do they go after Harper? Seems like they have the money. The lineup would be sick - especially if Riley is ready to take over 3B next year.

Free Agency. I'd definitely go after Harper but even if he signs somewhere else you still have big names like Blackmon, AJ Pollack and even Marwin Gonzalez. I think Markakis' arrow will be pointing down following this season, and getting a proven big-time bat for the OF will be one of the final pieces of the puzzle along with Riley at 3rd and the advancement of our pitchers.

As for the future, Christian Pache seems destined to take over one of the corner OF spots in the coming years.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Ruzious » Mon May 7, 2018 10:10 pm

ATL Boy wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Free Agency. I'd definitely go after Harper but even if he signs somewhere else you still have big names like Blackmon, AJ Pollack and even Marwin Gonzalez. I think Markakis' arrow will be pointing down following this season, and getting a proven big-time bat for the OF will be one of the final pieces of the puzzle along with Riley at 3rd and the advancement of our pitchers.

As for the future, Christian Pache seems destined to take over one of the corner OF spots in the coming years.

Pollack would be a fun get. And once Pache starts showing some power, it's all uphill with him. We can wait.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#7 » by Nemesis21 » Wed May 9, 2018 12:37 pm

Pollack would be nice, if he can stay healthy. In 2014, 2016 and 2017 he missed significant time due to injuries. 75 games played in 2014, 16 games in 2016 and 112 games in 2017.

It would be funny if we got him, seeing as how we asked for him first in the Shelby Miller trade. Arizona didn't want to part with him, so we got Inciarte. Who has been great and won back to back GG's. It would be hilarious if we had both he and Inciarte on our team. Lol poor Arizona.

Return to Atlanta Braves