Atlanta Braves Offseason

Moderator: HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,010

Re: Atlanta Braves Offseason  

Post#21 » by HMFFL » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:13 pm

Bruce Levine of 670 The Score reports that "there remains mutual interest" between the Cubs and free agent shortstop Carlos Correa.

Any such pursuit is on hold for now amid the ongoing MLB/MLBPA lockout, but Levine is not the first reporter to connect the Cubs and Correa this winter. He does add, however, that "they'd rather not go 10 years in length" to secure the 27-year-old two-time American League All-Star, which could be an impediment toward getting a deal done once baseball is back in business. Correa has also been linked to the Astros, Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, and Braves.

RELATED: 

Chicago Cubs

SOURCE: 670 The Score

Dec 21, 2021, 4:39 PM ET

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#22 » by HMFFL » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:41 am

Diego Benitez, Douglas Glod among Braves international signings

The international signing period is underway

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.talkingchop.com/platform/amp/2022/1/15/22885091/atlanta-braves-international-signing-period-list-diego-benitez

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#23 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:34 am

HMFFL wrote:Diego Benitez, Douglas Glod among Braves international signings

The international signing period is underway

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.talkingchop.com/platform/amp/2022/1/15/22885091/atlanta-braves-international-signing-period-list-diego-benitez

Benitez cost almost half of the Braves international allotment, so obviously they think a lot of him. It helps a LOT that people are comparing him to a young Manny Machado - who was a phenom from day 1.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#24 » by HMFFL » Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:14 am

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by Ruzious » Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:45 pm

HMFFL wrote:DH Officially Coming to the National League

https://tomahawktake.com/2022/02/10/atlanta-braves-dh-officially-coming-national-league/?a_aid=40179

That's good news for Ozuna. Gotta figure he's the Braves DH - assuming they keep him.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#26 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:57 pm

Ruzious wrote:
HMFFL wrote:DH Officially Coming to the National League

https://tomahawktake.com/2022/02/10/atlanta-braves-dh-officially-coming-national-league/?a_aid=40179

That's good news for Ozuna. Gotta figure he's the Braves DH - assuming they keep him.

CF Acuna
RF Soler
1b Freeman
3b Riley
DH Dirt bag
LF Rosario
C TDA
2b Albies
SS Swanson

Morton
Fried
Anderson
Greinke
Soroka

Repeat WS Champs b**ches!!!
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#27 » by HMFFL » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:26 pm

'Growing belief' Freddie Freeman will not re-sign with Braves after lockout

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-rumors-growing-belief-freddie-freeman-will-not-re-sign-with-braves-after-lockout/

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#28 » by HMFFL » Tue Feb 22, 2022 5:28 pm

I have my concerns about Freddie returning. While some fans believe he will sign for $200-$250 million, I believe the writing is on the wall that he will receive much money, and I believe that to be over $300 million.

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by Ruzious » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:25 pm

HMFFL wrote:'Growing belief' Freddie Freeman will not re-sign with Braves after lockout

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-rumors-growing-belief-freddie-freeman-will-not-re-sign-with-braves-after-lockout/

If we go for Hosmer, SD will have to pay for a good chunk of his salary and/or give up one of their top prospects. He's a big contract that they'd love to get rid of.

Mancini makes some sense if they want to go cheap. He'll be making less than 10 mil a year, and the O's likely won't ask for much in compensation.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#30 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:29 pm

F*** that! Give Freeman his 6/200!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Ruzious » Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:38 pm

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#32 » by HMFFL » Tue Mar 1, 2022 12:24 pm

Major League Baseball extended its deadline to avoid cancelling games to 5 p.m. on Tuesday.

The original deadline was set for some point before February 28, but enough progress was made between the two sides for the deadline to be pushed back until Tuesday. As Jeff Passan of ESPN reports, the two sides made progress toward a potential agreement, "but remained very far apart on key issues." Evan Drellich of The Athletic reports that the MLBPA doesn't feel like "any major area (is) done, and that MLB is not ok increasing the Competitive Balance Tax rates. This is a deadline that was initiated by owners -- as was the lockout -- so it's possible if there's more progress made on Tuesday without a deal, this deadline could be moved back again. The season is scheduled to start on March 31. 

SOURCE: ESPN

Mar 1, 2022, 2:51 AM ET

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#33 » by HMFFL » Tue Mar 1, 2022 4:41 pm

Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that MLB and the MLBPA have agreed to expand the number of playoff teams to 12 and to have similar luxury tax penalties as there were in the previous CBA.

Nightengale adds that the penalty tiers would be 20 percent, 32 percent (up from 30) and 62.5 percent (up from 50). It's not clear what the first threshold will be, but Andy Martino of SNY.tv reported previously that it's likely to be beyond $225-230 million. If the two sides have indeed come together on the CBT and expanded postseason, it would appear a new CBA is imminent. Stay tuned.

SOURCE: Bob Nightengale on 

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 1, 2022 11:12 pm

HMFFL wrote:Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that MLB and the MLBPA have agreed to expand the number of playoff teams to 12 and to have similar luxury tax penalties as there were in the previous CBA.

Nightengale adds that the penalty tiers would be 20 percent, 32 percent (up from 30) and 62.5 percent (up from 50). It's not clear what the first threshold will be, but Andy Martino of SNY.tv reported previously that it's likely to be beyond $225-230 million. If the two sides have indeed come together on the CBT and expanded postseason, it would appear a new CBA is imminent. Stay tuned.

SOURCE: Bob Nightengale on 

At the end of the day, cha ching cha ching rules. Of course they were going to agree on things like increasing playoff revenue. I wish they'd agree on decreasing the regular season to 154 games, but they won't.
DirtybirdGA
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,864

Post#35 » by DirtybirdGA » Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:00 pm

Welcome back baseball fans, I'm not the diehard but props.
Where the offseason has more buzz happens.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:14 pm

DirtybirdGA wrote:Welcome back baseball fans, I'm not the diehard but props.

Tbh, while I'm glad they came to an agreement, the process put a damper on my enthusiasm - which should never happen after winning the WS. One thing that bugs me is how poorly minor leaguers are treated - and will continue to be treated. I'm going to go to more minor league games than major league games this year.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#37 » by HMFFL » Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:31 am

Ruzious wrote:
DirtybirdGA wrote:Welcome back baseball fans, I'm not the diehard but props.

Tbh, while I'm glad they came to an agreement, the process put a damper on my enthusiasm - which should never happen after winning the WS. One thing that bugs me is how poorly minor leaguers are treated - and will continue to be treated. I'm going to go to more minor league games than major league games this year.
I need to find time to attend more minor league games too.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#38 » by HMFFL » Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:32 am

Ronald Acuña Jr. targeting May for return from ACL injury

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/braves-star-ronald-acuna-jr-targeting-may-for-return-from-acl-injury/

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#39 » by HMFFL » Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:07 pm

Jeff Passan of ESPN reports that the Braves are acquiring first baseman Matt Olson from the Athletics.

Wow. Just an absolute stunner, which seemingly signals the end of the Freddie Freeman era in Atlanta. Passan adds that the Athletics will receive outfielder Cristian Pache, catcher Shea Langeliers and right-handers Ryan Cusick and Joey Estes. It's a massive prospect haul for Oakland as they transition into a full-scale teardown. Olson is poised to take over as the reigning World Series champions everyday first baseman after posted a robust .271/.371/.540 triple-slash line with a career-high 39 homers and four stolen bases in 673 plate appearances last year.

SOURCE: Jeff Passan on Twitter

Mar 14, 2022, 2:12 PM ET

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by Ruzious » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:40 pm

HMFFL wrote:Jeff Passan of ESPN reports that the Braves are acquiring first baseman Matt Olson from the Athletics.

Wow. Just an absolute stunner, which seemingly signals the end of the Freddie Freeman era in Atlanta. Passan adds that the Athletics will receive outfielder Cristian Pache, catcher Shea Langeliers and right-handers Ryan Cusick and Joey Estes. It's a massive prospect haul for Oakland as they transition into a full-scale teardown. Olson is poised to take over as the reigning World Series champions everyday first baseman after posted a robust .271/.371/.540 triple-slash line with a career-high 39 homers and four stolen bases in 673 plate appearances last year.

SOURCE: Jeff Passan on Twitter

Mar 14, 2022, 2:12 PM ET

Wow, that's an awful lot to give up, and it obviously means we have to say bye to probably the best guy in baseball and the face of the franchise.

Money matters, so I can understand it - even though I wouldn't have done it. Olson's a star and will be Much cheaper this year and next.

Pache - best defensive CFer in the minors, but will he hit? I actually don't mind trading him.
Langeliers - losing him stings bad. But when we signed D'Arnaud to an extension, that showed where we were going. And having Contreras eases the sting.
Estes - another sting, because he already dominated high A ball and is still just 20 - a terrific prospect.
Cusick - first rounder who routinely throws 100 MPH. Another terrific prospect.

Return to Atlanta Braves