Moderator: HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,011

Re: Atlanta Braves Offseason 

Post#41 » by HMFFL » Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:48 am

Ruzious wrote:
HMFFL wrote:Jeff Passan of ESPN reports that the Braves are acquiring first baseman Matt Olson from the Athletics.

Wow. Just an absolute stunner, which seemingly signals the end of the Freddie Freeman era in Atlanta. Passan adds that the Athletics will receive outfielder Cristian Pache, catcher Shea Langeliers and right-handers Ryan Cusick and Joey Estes. It's a massive prospect haul for Oakland as they transition into a full-scale teardown. Olson is poised to take over as the reigning World Series champions everyday first baseman after posted a robust .271/.371/.540 triple-slash line with a career-high 39 homers and four stolen bases in 673 plate appearances last year.

SOURCE: Jeff Passan on Twitter

Mar 14, 2022, 2:12 PM ET

Sent from my SM-N975U using RealGM mobile app

Wow, that's an awful lot to give up, and it obviously means we have to say bye to probably the best guy in baseball and the face of the franchise.

Money matters, so I can understand it - even though I wouldn't have done it. Olson's a star and will be Much cheaper this year and next.

Pache - best defensive CFer in the minors, but will he hit? I actually don't mind trading him.
Langeliers - losing him stings bad. But when we signed D'Arnaud to an extension, that showed where we were going. And having Contreras eases the sting.
Estes - another sting, because he already dominated high A ball and is still just 20 - a terrific prospect.
Cusick - first rounder who routinely throws 100 MPH. Another terrific prospect.
I think.we had to do this. Olson had been rumored for a couple of months and the deal was on the table while Freddie was playing the waiting game. I look forward to next season and I wish Freddie the best.
Our front office will have more difficult decisions to make regarding our young talent but they're prepared to win and keep the success going.
Freddie may eventually regret this but I don't believe we will.

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#42 » by HMFFL » Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:52 am

Freddie is supposedly signing a 6 year deal for $236 million with Los Angeles.

DirtybirdGA
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,864

Post#43 » by DirtybirdGA » Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:42 pm

That is going to hurt so bad, one thing for him to leave Atlanta, but I'd rather see him in the AL, the Braves should hope he goes 2-15 in the series when they face him. I can see him driving in key runs.
Where the offseason has more buzz happens.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#44 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:06 pm

HMFFL wrote:Freddie is supposedly signing a 6 year deal for $236 million with Los Angeles.

Just under 40 mil a year. My guess is - this gives the Braves the flexibility they had last season - to rent players at the trade deadline. All 4 of those OFers we got contributed to winning the World Series. And with Pache gone, it's more likely we re-sign either Soler or Rosario. And it's a big opportunity for Drew Waters to step up with a comeback year.

I'd hate to see Freddie on the Dodgers, but it's a business, and I can't blame him for securing that kind of money for his family. I have no idea how the new CBA affects things like the luxury tax, but with all those veteran stars - gotta wonder how that effects things like the Dodgers being able to keep all their players. Then again, they didn't keep Seager and Scherzer, so maybe they're ok with money.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
DirtybirdGA
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,864

Post#45 » by DirtybirdGA » Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:15 pm

Olson is locked up, already
Where the offseason has more buzz happens.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#46 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:16 pm

Braves trade for Matt Olson. Re-sign him to 8/$168 deal. From Jeff Passan.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#47 » by HMFFL » Tue Mar 15, 2022 5:51 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:Braves trade for Matt Olson. Re-sign him to 8/$168 deal. From Jeff Passan.
I love it.
I'm thrilled and excited

Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#48 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:10 pm

Ruzious wrote:
HMFFL wrote:Freddie is supposedly signing a 6 year deal for $236 million with Los Angeles.

Just under 40 mil a year. My guess is - this gives the Braves the flexibility they had last season - to rent players at the trade deadline. All 4 of those OFers we got contributed to winning the World Series. And with Pache gone, it's more likely we re-sign either Soler or Rosario. And it's a big opportunity for Drew Waters to step up with a comeback year.

I'd hate to see Freddie on the Dodgers, but it's a business, and I can't blame him for securing that kind of money for his family. I have no idea how the new CBA affects things like the luxury tax, but with all those veteran stars - gotta wonder how that effects things like the Dodgers being able to keep all their players. Then again, they didn't keep Seager and Scherzer, so maybe they're ok with money.

I hope it's Soler. Also read on Twitter that Joc is working on a 1yr deal with Braves.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#49 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:20 pm

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:34 pm

HMFFL wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:Braves trade for Matt Olson. Re-sign him to 8/$168 deal. From Jeff Passan.
I love it.
I'm thrilled and excited

Plus a team option for a 9th year at $20 mil with no buyout.

Wow, the Braves front office had a plan, and they executed it - I'm impressed. So, basically they're paying 21 mil a year rather than 40 mil a year - for a guy who's presumably just started his prime years. It's hard to argue with that. Olson's 27, so he'll be 35/36 when the deal's done. That works out nicely. And he's a hometown guy - this is his dream to play for Atlanta - seems like the perfect player to replace Freddie.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:49 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

I hope it's Soler. Also read on Twitter that Joc is working on a 1yr deal with Braves.

Yeah, I prefer Soler. I want to see all these Braves battling for the homerun lead - Duvall, Soler, Olson, Acuna, Ozuna, and Riley. 6 guys who could legitimately hit 40 plus homers... and Albies could lead the team in extra base hits, Swanson just hit 27 homers, our catchers can hit, and Joc as the 4th OFer...

I'd still "settle" for Rosario if we can't keep Soler. 8-)
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#52 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:02 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=4mYCzhSGhZpTMBQCBc8ERw
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:10 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=4mYCzhSGhZpTMBQCBc8ERw

So the Braves have added 2 real good 34 year olds to their pen this offseason in Collin McHugh and Kirby Yates. If Yates is back to his old form (due back in August), the pen should be outstanding.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#54 » by HMFFL » Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:53 pm

Braves re-signed OF Eddie Rosario to a two-year, $18 million contract with a $9 million club option for 2024.

Rosario had been drawing heavy interest from other teams -- his market surely helped by the implementation of the universal DH -- but he has ultimately opted to return to Atlanta, where he was a postseason hero in 2021. The 30-year-old slugger figures to operate between both corner outfield spots. He could also see semi-regular appearances at designated hitter, though Marcell Ozuna will probably hold down that role.

SOURCE: Atlanta Braves on Twitter

Mar 16, 2022, 12:06 PM ET

Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#55 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:01 pm

Braves re-sign Eddie Rosario to a 2 yr deal.

RF Acuna
LF Rosario
DH Ozuna
1b Olson
3b Riley
CF Duvall
2b Albies
C d'Arnaud
SS Swanson
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:40 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:Braves re-sign Eddie Rosario to a 2 yr deal.

RF Acuna
LF Rosario
DH Ozuna
1b Olson
3b Riley
CF Duvall
2b Albies
C d'Arnaud
SS Swanson

A heckuva lineup - better than last year's even, though I already miss not seeing Freddie's name.

Rosario might be a better fit in the lineup, because he's more of a contact hitter than Soler. And even though he has a rep for being a poor defensive OFer, he made some really good plays in LF for the Braves - everything he did with the Braves was better - including his power - he's actually got more power than I thought. Seems like he found a home. It'll be interesting to see what kind of money Soler gets.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#57 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:50 pm

I wanted to add Grienke to the rotation, but he signed a 1 yr deal to return to KC.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#58 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:16 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:I wanted to add Grienke to the rotation, but he signed a 1 yr deal to return to KC.

He could be a trade deadline target for the Braves.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#59 » by HMFFL » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:54 am

Nemesis21 wrote:I wanted to add Grienke to the rotation, but he signed a 1 yr deal to return to KC.
Fair price too.

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:06 pm

Turns out, it was only $162 mil - a difference of $74 mil. :o I'm guessing the 236 was around what Freddie's agent's final offer to the Braves, and he was over-playing his hand - there just wasn't a huge demand for him - not a whole lot of teams had a need for an older 1st baseman wanting a 6 year contract.

Return to Atlanta Braves