ImageImageImageImage

Kevin Youkilis and future at 3B

Dirty Water
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Kevin Youkilis and future at 3B 

Post#1 » by Dirty Water » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:11 pm

Can we trust this guy down the stretch? He has broke down the last two years and had his worst year as a pro last year. Any chance he turns it around? I don't see any immense talent coming up through the system at 3B. We traded Lowrie away and who do we have left? Aviles? Any chance Middlebrooks gets a call-up this year?

I love Youk - he has been more than serviceable and has played leaps and bounds over his projected ceiling. But I think his career could be wrapping up. He's only in his early thirties but he puts his body through so much it could be the beginning of the end, especially for the demanding tolls it takes to play third everyday. Do you think we can trade him and get something for him? What are our future prospects at 3B? This organization or outside....
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Re: Kevin Youkilis and future at 3B 

Post#2 » by Celtics_Champs » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:03 am

I hope he turns it around.

I was more than ready to ship him off to oakland in a Gio/Bailey blockbuster deal. But that didn't happen.

It's possible he can be trade bait for pitching around the deadline if he's under-performing or they have someone emerging.
GreenDreamer
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#3 » by GreenDreamer » Thu May 10, 2012 2:47 am

The new kid seems like a hitter.

My dream scenario is us moving Youk to Miami, and finding a way to get Hanley Ramirez back in the deal. It doubt it happens, though.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#4 » by TNBT » Mon May 14, 2012 3:34 pm

Middlebrooks has looked REALLY good so far in my opinion. I think Youk's days as the everyday 3rd were wrapping up already, but the way Middlebrooks has played so far, I can't see him being sent back to AAA, at least not for much longer. If I recall correctly, Ortiz' contract is short-term (only this season I think?) and I can't see him sticking around much longer.

I can see Middlebrooks becoming the starter at 3rd next season with Youk at DH and being capable of filling in at 1st or 3rd if needed.
Dirty Water
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by Dirty Water » Mon May 21, 2012 5:14 pm

Yah but Ortiz has raked the last 2 years and has taken care of himself shown no signs of slowing down. There is no way they bring Youk back next year they might as well trade him this year if they can.

Middlebrooks had a bit of a rut after the hot start but I think he could be settling in. I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world to send him down to AAA while Youk get a chance to get his spot back. By All-star break if he hasn't come around it may be time to either just bench him or trade him and go with Middlebrooks.
Dirty Water
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by Dirty Water » Thu May 31, 2012 4:55 pm

Youk with a bomb last night. If you take away his 0 for 12 to start the season I think he's right around his career averages. Funny thing is Middlebrooks is murdering the ball as well. Gonzalez and Ortiz with big hits last night too. It's a fun dilemma to have with 4 guys for 3 positions. What do we do after all-star break when Crawford, Ellsbury and Ross are all back playing OF. Someone has to sit.

Ultimately I do see them trading Youk. But for who? I heard Joe Blanton's name tossed around but I really don't like that scenario. Blanton would be eaten alive in the AL East.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#7 » by sunshinekids99 » Fri Jun 1, 2012 11:56 am

I'm not sure you can expect too much back for Youk. I think your looking at prospects or a middle of the road (Blanton like you mentioned).

If Youk is hitting, you might just see Middlebrooks back in the minors.
Dirty Water
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by Dirty Water » Fri Jun 1, 2012 4:39 pm

sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by sunshinekids99 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:45 am

Well it's official I got a man crush on Middlebrooks. Get Youk out the door as soon as possible, Middlebrooks can't keep losing ab to this clown.
Dirty Water
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by Dirty Water » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:28 pm

Was at the game last night, my girlfriend was gushing about how much she loves Middlebrooks all game. His homerun landed about 3 rows in front of us. Total bomb. We were not expecting any balls hit in our direction. Great game last night. Him and Nava are almost carrying the team. Didn't expect to say that at the beginning of the year. Could be a turning point with this team.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by sunshinekids99 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:56 pm

Dirty Water wrote:Was at the game last night, my girlfriend was gushing about how much she loves Middlebrooks all game. His homerun landed about 3 rows in front of us. Total bomb. We were not expecting any balls hit in our direction. Great game last night. Him and Nava are almost carrying the team. Didn't expect to say that at the beginning of the year. Could be a turning point with this team.

I was actually at the game too along the first base line. There was an older guy infront of me that called his shot. Sure was a great game last night.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Post#12 » by thesack12 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:49 pm

Everything I'm hearing is saying that a Youk trade is all but imminent. Rumors are exactly that, mere rumors, but Bobby V has already told him that he will not be playing regularly anymore.

I also heard that the White Sox were the lead dog in the Youk Sweepstakes right now. However, I havent really heard too much on whats being discussed that would be headed to Boston. We'll see.

Return to Boston Red Sox