ImageImageImageImage

Spring training thread

thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,233

Spring training thread 

Post#1 » by thesack12 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:09 am

Its that time of year again. Pitchers and catchers have already reported, full squad is expected Friday the 15th.

Early notes and quick hits:

1) Clay Bucholz already has gotten dinged up. Tweaked his hamstring on his way to cover first in a fielding drill. Seems like its always something with that guy and seems to have lingering effects.
2) Papi arrived early, and said his achilles still isnt 100%. So thats definitely not good news, and obviously a concern.
3) This is the first big league camp for Bogaerts and Bradley. Will be interesting to see how they respond to their first taste of big league action. Both are very exciting high upside prospects.
4) Deven Marerro got a big league camp invite as well. He is the first Sox position player since Scott Hatteberg in 1992 to get a big league invite the spring after being drafted. He joins Drew, Iglesias, Bogaerts, and Brock Holt at SS. His future is very bright right now.
5) Lackey reportedly showed up to camp in great shape. So thats somewhat encouraging. Hopefully he can start giving Boston a little return on that massive free agent contract.
6) Napoli is reportedly limited to cage duty only right now.
7) Bryce Brentz will miss most of camp after accidentally shooting himself in the leg while cleaning a gun.
8) Ryan Kalish wont be in camp and will miss several more months after undergoing shoulder surgery. That guy seems to be the epitome of injury prone.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Re: Spring training thread 

Post#2 » by sunshinekids99 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:57 pm

I'm really looking foward to seeing who is going to make this pitching staff.

You have 12 spots and what 17 guys?

Lester
Buchholz
Lackey
Dempster
Doubront
Hanrahan
Bailey
Tazawa
Bard
Uehara
Morales
Miller
Breslow
Mortensen
Wilson
Wright
Aceves

I guess Breslow is having some shoulder problems, but it doesn't look too serious. I'm sure injuries will effect one or two of the spots. But if all are healthy it's going to be a tough choice for the Ben and John. Also don't sleep on Ruby De La Rosa, that guy has some filthy stuff.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#3 » by Celtics_Champs » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:47 pm

Pedro said Ruby had better tool than himself. But took a we'll see approach. Good to see him mentoring this kid like that. I think Aceves gets sh*tcanned after what he did the other day.

Sox trade for Carp from Seattle.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by sunshinekids99 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:58 pm

I'm pretty shocked that Ace is still on the Red Sox. I know he's talented but there has to come a point.

As for Carp I think he's a great backup for the Sox. He's a guy that can play first and corners and showed power in the minors. He's worth a shot, I wonder who the PTBNL will be.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#5 » by thesack12 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:34 pm

Unless it just gets downright rdiculous, or he does something horrible, I don't think the Sox will get rid of Aceves. Yes his antics are growing old and tiresome. But the fact of the matter is he is too valuable and versatile to the pitching staff. Plus he is dirt cheap labor (relatively speaking). Unless my memory is failing me, he hasn't really caused anything major its just been several irritatant type things with him.

As for Carp, it was a quality pickup... for now. Carp is out of options, so if he doesn't make the Sox, he will be gone. Nava is also out of options, and the Sox had been dabbling using him at 1st as well. So it may very well come down to a keep either or situation. On one hand Nava could be considered the favorite due to familiarity. On the other hand Carp could have the upper hand due to having real experience at both 1st and in the OF. IMO Carp has the better upside as well. Unless Overbay just kills it this spring, I think Carp makes the roster. Having Napoli as your only real option at 1B is a very scary scenario. No, I'm not a Gomez fan. If Carp doesn't make the roster, I'm guessing Sox will send Seattle cash considerations. If Carp does make the roster it will prolly be somebody among the caliber of Dan Butler going to Seattle. I.E a fringe 40 man roster guy with lower upside.

As for the staff. I think the favorites are:

Lester, Bucholz, Lackey, Dempster, Doubront, Morales, Aceves, Miller, Uehara, Bard, Bailey, Hanrahan

Not a stretch thought at all. But there is a lot of spring left, and never know when injuries will surface.

One very intriguing guy is Rubby De La Rosa. As mentioned Pedro has been very impressed with his stuff, Farrell has also taken notice. Supposedly he clocked 100+ a couple times in his 2 innings yesterday. I'll admit I other than knowing he is coming off tommy John surgery Idon't know much about him, like what pitches are in his arsenal/how good the movement on his fastball is/his stamina etc. I know the plan is hoping he becomes a top end starter, but if that doesn't work out at the very least if he can consistently hitt 100+ he might be closer material.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by sunshinekids99 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:26 am

You wouldn't have Tazawa on your staff? He was one of the few bright spots from last season. I still expect a trade of one of the lefties and perhaps either Ace or Mortensen for the righties.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#7 » by thesack12 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:53 am

^ Yeah, Tazawa definitely deserves a spot on the staff. But other than Miller (who was very good last season) Boston is pretty much married to those other guys.

Its just makes me question the Uehara signing all the more. A pen arm was far from a priority concern for this team, especially a right handed arm. Uehara can turn out to be a good value signing, but as things stand right now it just doesn't make much sense. Especially considering he is coming of an injury plagued year and is 38 years old. That guy doesn't have a long future with this team, and Boston isn't contending.

But yeah I agree with you that there almost has to be a trade coming soon involving a guy out of the pen. Probably just before spring training concludes and team's have to trim the rosters.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by sunshinekids99 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:39 pm

I'm with you Uehara certainly was not a need going into the offseason. I think it came down to hey he's a really good pitcher that we can get at a good price why not sign him? This risk is very low with this guy. Even if the Sox have another terrible season he can be traded at the deadline.

As for the Sox this season I see the ceiling of this team being an 81 to 85 win team. That would put them in the race for the wildcard but in the end most likely falling short. Seeing they just won 69 games, I'd be happy to be above .500 this season.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#9 » by thesack12 » Mon Mar 4, 2013 2:41 am

Yeah, solid relievers are always in demand. Especially around the deadline.

IMO, I see Boston being a 75 win caliber team. I think that finds them in the AL East cellar again. Toronto clealy got much better. Baltimore is a solid group, and internal growth can be expected from them. Yankees lost a little bit, and Granderson goign down hurts a lot, but as much as I hate to say it they are ALWAYS in the playoff race. I don't see why this year would be much different with them.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#10 » by thesack12 » Mon Mar 4, 2013 2:48 am

Jackie Bradley has been straight up sparkling thus far. I believe he is hitting .600+ at the moment. He has also drawn praise with his glove. It remains unlikley, but Farrell has said that there is an outside chance he makes the squad out of camp. Either way, its great to see the kid thrive with his first taste of the big leagues.

I havent really heard a whole lot on Bogaerts. He is now with the Netherlands in the WBC. I know they already have already played, but havent caught anything about what he did, if anything. Any info would be appreciated.

On the negative side, Hanrahan hasn't been too good. Obviously theres no need for panic at this time. But I always worry about career national league pitchers, making the jump to the AL. Its an entirely different style of play and more potent offenses overall. I can only hope that this guy isn't another Melancon in the making.

Ortiz still hasnt really done anything. He ran the bases the other day, and reported having stiffness and soreness. He has said himself, that he is concerned he isn't going to start the season on time. Thats obviously worrisome, and a big blow to this team if he remains out. The lineup was already somewhat offensively challenged, without Papi the lineup beomes pretty pedestrian.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by sunshinekids99 » Mon Mar 4, 2013 12:47 pm

Yeah the drop off from Ortiz to (I'm assuming) Carp is huge. With a 3/4 hitters of Middlebrooks and Napoli this team will struggle to score runs.
Dirty Water
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Post#12 » by Dirty Water » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:26 pm

We don't have big bats in the 3/4 for sure, but I think you're underestimating the depth of the rest of the lineup. There is 20-25 HR potential at almost every position.

Middlebrooks
Gomes
Ellsbury
Pedroia
Saltalamachhia
Napoli

Victorino and Drew maybe 15

Ortiz pending on health we know can mash

They all get on base better than average too besides maybe salty
Dirty Water
Lead Assistant

Post#13 » by Dirty Water » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:28 pm

the question is going to come down to pitching. and as of now I think they will struggle to be be average in that regard even if one or two guys bounce back a little. I still think this team will get about 85 wins and be a fringe second wild card team.
Dirty Water
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by Dirty Water » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:29 pm

thesack12 wrote:Yeah, solid relievers are always in demand. Especially around the deadline.

IMO, I see Boston being a 75 win caliber team. I think that finds them in the AL East cellar again. Toronto clealy got much better. Baltimore is a solid group, and internal growth can be expected from them. Yankees lost a little bit, and Granderson going down hurts a lot, but as much as I hate to say it they are ALWAYS in the playoff race. I don't see why this year would be much different with them.

Disagree. Toronto won the offseason and should be much better, but don't pen them in to win the East. Overall I think the division got much worse and is pretty much up for grabs for any team. I think Yankees, Orioles, Rays will all regress.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#15 » by thesack12 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:47 am

Dirty Water wrote:Disagree. Toronto won the offseason and should be much better, but don't pen them in to win the East. Overall I think the division got much worse and is pretty much up for grabs for any team. I think Yankees, Orioles, Rays will all regress.

IMO, Toronto is gonna run away with the AL east. NY has now lost Tex for awhile, in additon to Granderson. Still though, they are the Yankees and every time you think they are going to struggle they rattle off yet another postseason berth. Tampa lost both Upton and Shields, but they lose key guys about every year and always stay competitive. Baltimore may fade a bit, but are still a pretty solid group overall and now know that they can win.

As for Boston, I don't see them as having any improvements going into this season over last season. In fact, they have actually digressed.

Ells/Crawford/Ross > Ells/Victorino/Gomes
Aviles = Drew
Gonzalez > Napoli

Beckett > Dempster

Bailey ??? Hanrahan

Other than the pen, I honestly can't think of a single part of the team that is better going into this season. The pen was the strongest most reliable part of this team last season anyways. Of course injuries played a factor, but every team every year deals with injuries. Already Ortiz is out indefinitely and will miss the start of the season, and Drew is currently out indefinitely with concussion issues.

Due to the more than average number of games lost to injury last year and Bobby V being out of the equation, at most I would say Boston might be 5 games better this season. That would put them at 74 wins. That won't sniff the postseason.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#16 » by thesack12 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:49 am

Dirty Water wrote:We don't have big bats in the 3/4 for sure, but I think you're underestimating the depth of the rest of the lineup. There is 20-25 HR potential at almost every position.

Middlebrooks
Gomes
Ellsbury
Pedroia
Saltalamachhia
Napoli

Victorino and Drew maybe 15

Ortiz pending on health we know can mash

They all get on base better than average too besides maybe salty

Boston is currently last in the american league for HR's. Sure its just spring training, but this team is going to be lacking for power. Plus, who the hell knows when Ortiz is gonna return.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by sunshinekids99 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:53 am

This team really needs Ellsbury to be the player he was two years ago. Then get 20 hr's from the likes of Middlebrooks, Napoli, Salty. Of course a healthy Ortiz greatly improves the lineup. Also if Drew can get back to his preinjury stats this team will have a solid offense.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#18 » by Celtics_Champs » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:35 pm

Looks like with Ortiz injury Bradley may be in line for a spot right away.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by sunshinekids99 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:42 pm

Celtics_Champs wrote:Looks like with Ortiz injury Bradley may be in line for a spot right away.

I would wait on him just to not have his clock start. Let him join the team in May. For now use the likes of Carp and Gomez.
Dirty Water
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by Dirty Water » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:09 pm

sunshinekids99 wrote:
Celtics_Champs wrote:Looks like with Ortiz injury Bradley may be in line for a spot right away.

I would wait on him just to not have his clock start. Let him join the team in May. For now use the likes of Carp and Gomez.

Agreed. If it wer eup to me give Daniel Nava a shot in LF and Gomes DH. If Ortiz still isn't healthy by late April/May (or if victorino or ellsbury gets hurt, then call up Bradley. There's no pressure on this team they have all year to weigh options.

Say you give Bradley a spot right now, if he slumps it could ruin his confidence. You would always rather a prospect works through that slump in AAA than the majors.

Return to Boston Red Sox