ImageImageImageImage

Prospect and Minor League Discussion

Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#241 » by Bleeding Green » Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:00 am

Apparently that was Dent's first homer since 2006. Pretty crazy that a supplemental draft pick wouldn't have a homer in his senior year of high school.

Aaron Bates has ridiculous secondary skills. He couples an 832 OPS with a .190 batting average.

Tejeda had the walk-off hit in the Spinners' win. He's going to be in Greenville next year as an 18 year old. He's been ridiculous.

Jed Lowrie played third base.

Lars Anderson went 1-3 with a K and a SF.

Dustin Richardson balled all over people today: 6 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 1 BB, 11 K. That's some dominant stuff for any park, but he did it in Lancaster.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
NH_soxfan14
Junior
And1: 1

Post#242 » by NH_soxfan14 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:53 pm

I will be at the Portland Sea Dogs game today in New Hampshire. I will bring back a scouting report on Justin Masterson and Aaron Bates if he is in the lineup

RSN
NH_soxfan14
Junior

Post#243 » by NH_soxfan14 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:57 pm

kobeSTOPkobeDONT wrote:According to BA, Masterson is going on the DL. That could explain his struggles a bit.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=542

He got put on the DL because he needed a little rest, not because of his calf. My friend is a bat boy for the NH Fisher Cats and Masterson told him that he thinks his bad outings is because of his catcher Dusty Brown. He usually throws with John Otness.

RSN
NH_soxfan14
Junior

Post#244 » by NH_soxfan14 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:50 pm

Just got back from the game and this is what i think about Masterson and Bates.

Justin Masterson, #3 prospect in our system
5 IP, 4 Hits, 2 ER, 2 walks, 5 strike outs, 1 HR, 6-4 GO-FO
Masterson has a Jake Peavy like side armed windup. He has a very good sinker, an above average slider and a change up that he rarely throws. He didnt look as sharp today after about a 2 week layoff, he gave up about a 430 foot home run to the lead off batter. After the first inning he looked very good. He hit 94 MPH on the radar gun once and stayed around high 80's with his sinker. So i would say an alright performance by Justin Masterson.

Aaron Bates #10 prospect in our system
0-4, 1 lineout, 2 fly outs, and 1 ground out
Bates is absolutley MASSIVE he goes 6"4, 232 pounds. He always swings up on the ball and likes to work the count except on his one ground out when he swung at the first pitch. He is an alright defensive player at first base while getting a good workout with Masterson pitching. IMO i dont think he'll ever make it to Fenway Park with youkilis and chris carter blocking his way.

RSN
The Rondo Show
Analyst
And1: 327

Post#245 » by The Rondo Show » Sun Aug 26, 2007 10:02 pm

Lowell prospects are kicking some serious ass.
Oscar Tejeda: 2-2, 2B, 2 RBI's.
Nick Hagadone: 3 IP, 2 hits, 0 walks, 4 K's. Lights out since that debut.

Tejeda adds a triple. Now 3-4, 2B, 3B, 2 RBI's and hitting .400 in Lowell. He definitely seems like he is becoming a very good prospect. I remember Goldstein ranked him as in honorable mention for the best shortstop prospects (listed 5 before him, I believe) and that was when he was just all tools and not much production in the GCL.
The Rondo Show
Analyst
And1: 327

Post#246 » by The Rondo Show » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:25 am

Lars Anderson is going to be putting up some huge numbers at Lancaster. 1-2 with a 3-run bomb and a walk so far tonight (after walking 3 times last night).

There's also a Nick Hagadone pitch by pitch chart over at soxprospects by a couple people at the Lowell game. Either Hagadone throws harder than I thought or the guns were very rigged at the park. He hit 95 MPH pretty damn frequently. It sounds like he was pretty dominant tonight.

Lars update: 2-3, 4 runs scored, HR, 2B, 5 RBI's, 3 BB's, 0 K's (now has 6 walks to 2 strikeouts in a small sample size at Lancaster). Lancaster has put 20 runs on the board.
NH_soxfan14
Junior

Post#247 » by NH_soxfan14 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:17 pm

Tony Granadillo has been promoted to AA Portland.
Its a pretty good move because Portland's offense looked pretty weak on sunday against a guy who was consistently throwing 85 MPH for his fastball and they still couldnt score any runs.

http://soxprospects.blogspot.com/2007/0 ... tland.html

RSN
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#248 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:55 pm

Nice. I really like Tony Granadillo. It'll be interesting to see how much he was aided by Lancaster.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
NH_soxfan14
Junior

Post#249 » by NH_soxfan14 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:53 pm

There has been A LOT of promotions in August and here they are:

Che-Hsuan Lin promoted to Lowell Spinners (low A)

Ryan Dent promoted to Lowell Spinners (low A)

Oscar Tejeda promoted to Lowell Spinners (low A)

Jered Stanley promoted to Lowell Spinners (low A)

Lars Anderson promoted to Lancaster Jethawks (High A)

Jon Still promoted to Lancaster Jethawks (High A)

Dustin Richardson promoted to Lancaster Jethawks (High A)

Tony Granadillo promoted to Portland Sea Dogs (AA)

Dusty Brown promoted to Pawtucket Red Sox (AAA)

Chad Spann promoted to Pawtucket Red Sox (AAA)

Charlie Zink promoted to Pawtucket Red Sox (AAA)

Those are just the good players. There is more players but they arent anything special.

RSN
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#250 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:18 am

Craig Hansen doesn't look so awful. Since he last gave up a run on July 18:

8 G, 13.1 IP, 8 H, 4 BB, 17 K.

Small sample size, but it's something at least. He missed a bunch of time due to injury so he's only tossed 49.1 IP this year (85 IP last year), so maybe he'll get some burn in Boston, even if it's only low leverage stuff at first. I wouldn't say it's out of the realm of possibilities that he's on the playoff roster.
Markos
Starter
And1: 0

Post#251 » by Markos » Sat Sep 1, 2007 2:01 am

.....assuming we are in the playoffs. I would love to see Ellsbury and Lowrie called up Saturday to give us something. Stick Ellsbury in left and put Jed in with Lugo to platoon at SS. It really cant be worse than what we have there at the time. Clay should also be up to take Tavarez's spot.
cmaff051
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 2

Post#252 » by cmaff051 » Sat Sep 1, 2007 2:43 am

Masterson - 4.0 IP, 7 H, 5 ER, 3 BB, 3 K

His era is now 4.34
NH_soxfan14
Junior

Post#253 » by NH_soxfan14 » Sat Sep 1, 2007 2:44 am

Markos wrote:.....assuming we are in the playoffs. I would love to see Ellsbury and Lowrie called up Saturday to give us something. Stick Ellsbury in left and put Jed in with Lugo to platoon at SS. It really cant be worse than what we have there at the time. Clay should also be up to take Tavarez's spot.

I dont know if Lowrie is going to get called up.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/team/roste ... p?c_id=bos

RSN
Markos
Starter

Post#254 » by Markos » Sat Sep 1, 2007 2:44 am

looks like clay will get the start tomorrow :)
Boston's Future
Pro Prospect

Post#255 » by Boston's Future » Wed Oct 24, 2007 6:51 pm

I heard somewhere that Lowrie could move to third base? It would take a year in the minors for him to get adjusted... what are you thoughts on Lowrie as a prospect? Keeper or trade bait?
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#256 » by sunshinekids99 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:21 pm

I'm not sure he's enough of a power guy to play third. He does have some nice slugging numbers, but not much homerun power. I'd still like to see this guy at short at some point in Boston. But I do expect him to be moved this offseason.
Chach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#257 » by Chach » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:30 pm

Lowrie is definitely the real deal. He can stick at short, almost everyone has come around this year. He injured his ankle last season so I think that might be where some of the concerns came from. His arm could probably play at third and his lack of range actually could fit there if only he hit for more power. Right now, I like his as an average defensive SS who will hit for a lot of pop relative to position. He can hit for average, get on base, and hits for good power for a middle infielder.

I think that Lugo's improved play the second half of the season makes him potential trade bait. We would have to eat his deal like Renteria's and we would get a lesser prospect back but I could see him getting moved. I would like Lowrie to get another year's worth of seasoning at Pawtucket but I think he could survive in the bigs and I would not be overly surprised if he opens as our SS spliting time with Cora and perhaps Pedroia. mahalo
~Chach~
Chach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#258 » by Chach » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:11 pm

From Keith Law's chat wrap yesterday:
Keith Law: I like Lowrie - he's cleaned up his swing (or the Red Sox have) since college, keeping him back a lot better. Might end up just hitting from the left side, that's my one caveat. I could see him peaking at .300/.380/.440, although I guess that's a little optimistic. I don't see power. Anyway, he doesn't have huge range at short but he can play the position; I could see Boston starting the year with him in AAA and waiting to see if Lugo plays better or if there's an injury that opens a spot for Lowrie.

mahalo
~Chach~
Boston's Future
Pro Prospect

Post#259 » by Boston's Future » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:54 pm

So pretty much trade Lugo in the winter, find a rental SS for a year, then call up Lowrie for 09?
Markos
Starter

Post#260 » by Markos » Tue Nov 6, 2007 7:41 am

Why not keep Lugo this year, try to get his value back up and trade him either midseason or after the year

Return to Boston Red Sox