ImageImageImageImage

Prospect and Minor League Discussion

greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#321 » by greenbeans » Mon Jun 2, 2008 11:06 pm

and i retract my Arroyo love. he was "freestyle" singin on best damn a couple weeks ago, BOOOOOOOOO
greenbeans
RealGM

Post#322 » by greenbeans » Thu Jun 5, 2008 11:38 pm

Cahhtahhh battin a grand
Flaming Mo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 225

Post#323 » by Flaming Mo » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:51 am

To anyone who's following the Sox minor league teams on a regular basis, any news on 1B Mike Jones?!? Read an interview with him on redsoxnation.net and I would like to know how he's doing and how the future looks for him. Thanks in advance...
Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies...
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Re: Prospect and Minor League Discussion 

Post#324 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:07 pm

So Lars Anderson, Argenis Diaz and Josh Reddick have recently been promoted to AA. Corsaletti to AAA. Mike Almanzar to Greenville (17 years old!!). Sox are reportedly very close to signing Meyer, Westmoreland, Hissey. They just signed Casey Kelly. Che-Hsuan Lin was the MVP of the Futures game, he and Chih-Hsien Chiang are playing in the Olympics. Richie Lentz and Dan Bard are in the Portland bullpen, Masterson is in the Pawtucket bullpen, Bowden is in AAA. Very exciting times.

A dynasty lurks.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
NH_soxfan14
Junior
And1: 1

Post#325 » by NH_soxfan14 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:19 am

Argenis Diaz is such a good defensive shortstop. He is a real nice kid, very young looking for a 23 year old. He makes plays in the field look very easy even though he has below average speed.

Lars Anderson looks like such a friggen goof ball in street clothes. When the sea dogs arrived to NH and i was helping out everybody with their bags and stuff Lars came up to me and asked a question, i'm looking at him saying to myself what a friggin dork. Lars is a real nice guy, the ball jumps off his bat and you can tell that he isn't as much of a power threat now. But when he grows older i think he could be a 20-25 homer guy. I can see why baseball america rated him as the best hitter for average in the system, when he makes contact, its a frozen rope. He puts on a pretty good show at batting practice and is a massive target at first base.

RSN
alwayslovetheceltics
Analyst
And1: 6

Post#326 » by alwayslovetheceltics » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:43 pm

let me get this straight... we just traded one of our only power hittng prospects for kotsay?

i realize sumoza is a long way from the big leagues, but damn. power is the last tool to develop, but this cat is showing it at 20 (11 pops and counting this year....)
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#327 » by Bleeding Green » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:12 am

I really wouldn't classify Sumoza as a premier prospect so it's not big deal. There are so many, many outfielders ahead of him at this point. You've easily got Reddick, Kalish, Lin, Westmoreland and Hissey ahead of him.

Sumoza has really great power, but he's also got a really long swing. Guy is at least 4-5 years away from contributing at this point. I really find it hard to get choked up about trading away guys who are so far away from even potentially contributing.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but there is the potential for the Red Sox to get a supplemental draft pick if Kotsay signs elsewhere next year. I'd take a supplemental pick over Luis Sumoza in all likelihood.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
alwayslovetheceltics
Analyst
And1: 6

Post#328 » by alwayslovetheceltics » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:30 pm

BG,

out of the prospects you named, only reddick is actually pretty close to contributing... I bet he is late season call up in 09)

none of those prospects, including reddick, has sumoza's power potential

while sumoza has mechanical flaws, i think

i believe kotsay will not be eligible for a compenstatory pick

couldn't we have called up JVE or Carter or someone else as an extra bat?

we really could have used david muprhy right now..... die slow gagne....
      Bleeding Green
      Retired Mod
      Retired Mod

Post#329 » by Bleeding Green » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:25 am

Sumoza is so far away from contributing that it's pointless to even worry about it. Kotsay is likely better than Van Every and Carter, if only marginally.

It sucks to see the dude go because I've been following him for like 3 years and he was finally having his first good season, but damn he's so far away from even being considered for a callup.
      NES 247
      Freshman
      And1: 0

Post#330 » by NES 247 » Mon Apr 6, 2009 3:34 pm

Daniel Bard (fourth, 19th). Bard is an easy choice, given his comeback performance last year and his impressive spring training (9 1/3 innings, 0.00 ERA, 12 strikeouts, three walks, .152 opponents batting average). Once thought to be destined for a return trip to Portland, Bard will go to Pawtucket and await a call to Boston.

• Josh Reddick (fifth, 10th). Because of Reddick's ability to make contact, he has been compared to Dustin Pedroia. Boston wanted to temper his free-swinging ways, which messed with Reddick's confidence. He batted .214 in Portland last year.

Look for a compromise in philosophies, with Reddick showing more discipline but also getting back his swagger. He showed that in major league camp with a .500 average (11 for 22). He will come back to Portland.

• Junichi Tazawa (seventh, Not Rated). With a three-year contract for $3.3 million, Tazawa is considered the equivalent of a first-round draft pick. There are question marks because he has only pitched in a Japanese amateur league, but Tazawa seemed poised and had good control in major league spring training games (1.00 ERA in nine innings with 10 strikeouts and one walk).

His professional debut will take place at Hadlock Field.

• Michael Almanzar (ninth, 16th). High-priced free agent players can be a gamble, but they can also be worth it (such as Hanley Ramirez). Almanzar, who has moved from shortstop to third base, got a $1.5 million signing bonus and shows the potential of being a power hitter with a smooth glove.

Almanzar was tearing up the rookie Gulf Coast League as a 17-year-old (.348), and Boston surprisingly promoted him to low Class A Greenville (.207 in 35 games). He will go back to Greenville and could reach Portland in 2010.

• Luis Exposito (15th, NR). Mark Wagner used to be considered the top Red Sox catching prospect, but Exposito has passed him. He is not as advanced as Wagner but shows potential defensively and at the plate. He hit .283 in Greenville, then .301 in Lancaster.

Exposito will return to high Class A (now in Salem, Va.) and should get a midyear promotion to Portland. Wagner, who dropped from 20th to 30th on the BA list, will be back at Hadlock.

• Derrick Gibson (21st, NR). First-round draft pick Casey Kelly got all the publicity last year, but Gibson, a second-rounder, looked solid in the Gulf Coast League (.308). Gibson, 19, is an excellent infielder and could make it up to Greenville by the end of the year.

• Anthony Rizzo (22nd, NR). Rizzo, a 19-year-old first baseman, is this year's feel-good story, having come back from a battle with Hodgkin's lymphoma. He was batting .373 in 21 games at Greenville before being diagnosed.

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/story ... 7&ac=PHspt

Very good list that looks past such big name prospects as Michael Bowden and Lars Anderson. With Almanzar moving to third base he could be the future and the guy to replace Lowell. I like to see that we actually have a pretty good prospect at 3rd base because a couple of years ago finding a replacement for Lowell was looking pretty bleak. I'm more worried about Expo's bat then I am about his glove. Everything thing I've read on him has him as a good catcher. He blocks balls well, calls a good game, and has a cannon arm, he just needs to work on his throwing accuracy a bit. While he has 20+HR power, what concerns me is hes to aggressive at the plate just trying to crush everything, often giving away at bats. Because of his aggressive approach he never walks and will have a crappy OBP.
      Celtics_Champs
      Retired Mod
      Retired Mod
      And1: 7,971

Post#331 » by Celtics_Champs » Thu Jun 11, 2009 3:16 am

Um, do the red sox have a fascination with drafting the younger siblings of former draft picks. First Josh Papelbon now this younger bard.

Maybe it's just a family thing, as they drafted Beltrans' cousin.

And here's to Seth Schwindenhammer making it to the big leauges, longest name in baseball if he does.
      greenbeans
      RealGM

Post#332 » by greenbeans » Wed Jul 8, 2009 11:23 pm

So what's the deal with Fernando Cabrera?
      He used to be a the closer of the future for Cleveland, but that was like 5 years ago. Now he's closing games in Pawtucket(37.1ip 21h 5er 36k 16bb 17sv) and doing a pretty good job. So is he the next pitcher coming up? Or ya think they view him as strictly triple-a guy, with no real chance other than roster filler if the need arises?
      Furrski
      Sophomore

Post#333 » by Furrski » Sat Aug 1, 2009 1:27 pm

greenbeans wrote:So what's the deal with Fernando Cabrera?
      He used to be a the closer of the future for Cleveland, but that was like 5 years ago. Now he's closing games in Pawtucket(37.1ip 21h 5er 36k 16bb 17sv) and doing a pretty good job. So is he the next pitcher coming up? Or ya think they view him as strictly triple-a guy, with no real chance other than roster filler if the need arises?

He came up with us showing incredible stuff, including devestating splitter, but also had completely inconsistent control, and the frustrating inability to hold runners. Once a runner reached base, he completely ignored them like they'd just go away. And they did. To second base. Anyway, if you can get him to throw strikes and at least look at a baserunner, he can help you.

Dont mind me, just came to look for perspective on the Martinez/Masterson trade. Wanted Buch or Bard, but will have to give it time, you'll LOVE Victor right away.
      Furrski
      Sophomore

Post#334 » by Furrski » Sat Aug 1, 2009 1:33 pm

Well, instead of searching more, I'll just ask. In as much of an un-biased opinion as you can give, do you expect Masterson to evolve into a servicable middle starter? The pessimists here see a matchup bullpen guy, and say he cant get lefties out. I've seen mixed reports. Sox fans, though, have seen him pitch for a while, so, what da ya say?
      greenbeans
      RealGM

Post#335 » by greenbeans » Sat Aug 1, 2009 11:10 pm

Thanks for the write-up on Cabrera, though I think he may be stuck down in Pawtucket for the rest of this year unfortunately. It looks like we may end up moving one of our starters to the 'pen to replace Masterson and keep Clay in the rotation, hopefully we'll get to see him a little after Sept. 1st though, I hope.

And I was a big Masterson fan, a very likable guy who got the shaft this year due to being in a great relief corp(and not being able to get lh batters out). I feel with a guaranteed turn every 5 days his confidence will jump right back to where it was last year and he'll be back to his groundball inducing ways quick. He'll definitely be a solid middle of the rotation guy with the opportunity there to have him jump into late inning relief situations if the need arises.

And you're right, I already do love Victahh. Seeing the way he was yesterday and the quotes that have come out of Cleveland about him make him hard not to like, well unless you're a big Varitek and Lowell fan.
      superli
      Banned User

Post#336 » by superli » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:52 am

spam

HMFFL
      Dirty Water
      Lead Assistant
      And1: 9

Post#337 » by Dirty Water » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:54 pm

Anyone know if Iglesias may be ready for a major league call up this season?
      TSC25
      Veteran

Post#338 » by TSC25 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:02 pm

^^^ I would say with Marco and Lowrie ahead of him no,but they could trade Lowrie and use Marco as a utility IF.

Jose Iglesias, ss Born: Jan. 5, 1990 • B-T: R-R • Ht: 5-11 • Wt: 180
      Signed: Cuba, 2009 • Signed by: Craig Shipley/Johnny DiPuglia
      Background: Iglesias defected from Cuba at the World Junior Championships in Edmonton in July 2008. Fourteen months later, he signed a four-year, $8.25 million major league contract that included a franchise-record $6.25 million bonus. In his 2010 pro debut, he was hitting .306 as the youngest regular in the Eastern League before an errant pitch broke his right middle finger in late May, sidelining him for two months.

Scouting Report: Iglesias is an exceptional defender who's ready to play shortstop in the big leagues right now. He plays low to the ground, using his quick feet, lightning-fast hands and strong arm to make all the plays. His instincts and body control also stand out, and he made just seven errors in 57 games at short last season. With good bat speed and hand-eye coordination to go with a line-drive stroke, Iglesias should hit for average with some gap power once he adds some strength. He attacks pitches early in the count, an aggressive approach that won't lead to many walks. He's an average runner.

The Future: After going through six shortstops in seven seasons since trading Nomar Garciaparra, the Red Sox believe Iglesias can bring some stability to the position. He could be ready after spending 2011 in Triple-A.

2010 Club (Class) AVG OBP SLG AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB
      Portland (AA) .285 .315 .357 221 29 63 10 3 0 13 8 49 5
      Lowell (SS) .350 .458 .500 40 8 14 2 2 0 7 7 8 2
      Jacob007
      Ballboy

Post#339 » by Jacob007 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:54 am

Hey.....this isn't a post on the red sox farm system, STOP SPAMMING!
      TNBT
      Forum Mod
      Forum Mod
      And1: 208

Post#340 » by TNBT » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:48 pm

I don't know a huge amount about the Sox prospects, but there are a few young guys that I am really excited about and would love to get your opinion on.

The first of these is Ryan Kalish. I think he has some really nice potential, is versatile and has some nice offensive ability. If he can add some more power to his swing, I could see him taking over from Sweeney in RF.

I'm also pretty excited about Jose Iglesias. We know that he's amazing defensively, but there have been questions about him offensively. Marco Scutaro is the better option offensively and has more experience, but I'd love to see Iglesias get the gig. His offensive game will come along with experience, and besides, with the lineup that the Sox have, I think we can afford to play a defensively-minded guy like Iglesias and still be a potent offensive team.

I don't know much about Ryan Lavarnway, other than that he's a big guy with some power. From talking about him over on TalkSox.com a lot of people seem to see him as the DH/backup C of the future. His main weakness seems to be defensively, so it's good that he looks like spending the year playing AAA ball, where he can learn the game from a defensive/game-calling standpoint. When he is good enough in that area to be the backup C, and with Ortiz getting older, I think he can be very handy for us in the DH/backup C role that I mentioned earlier. This would also enable us to carry another IF or OF.

Anyway, I'd love to get some more info on these guys and see what your opinions are.

Return to Boston Red Sox