ImageImageImageImage

2009 RealGM Red Sox Summit

APerna
Editor
And1: 1

2009 RealGM Red Sox Summit 

Post#1 » by APerna » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:08 pm

Similar to the way I conducted “Summits” on the NBA and NFL boards last year, I’d like to do the same on RealGM’s MLB boards as we prepare to for the beginning of Spring Training and the 2009 season.

The process, for those of you who may have taken part in the NBA or NFL versions, will be exactly the same. I’ll post questions on each of the individual team message boards, and ask that posters, and specifically fans of each team, answer each question.

Ideally, I’d like each answer to be roughly one or two sentences, but I realize that it is very hard to convey your opinions and feelings in just a few words. All I ask is that you try not to reply with more than a paragraph.

With that I wish you and your team of choice the best of luck in the coming season.

Please reply within this thread.

1. How would you rate the team’s offseason thus far?

2. What move do you wish the team made? (i.e. signing, trade)

3. Who do you feel will have a breakout season?

4. Who do you see regressing after a strong 2008?

5. What is the best case scenario for the club in 2009?

6. What is the worst case scenario for the club in 2009?
+ PF
"If Jack makes that shot, the game is over." - Tommy Heinsohn after Jarrett Jack missed a shot at the buzzer of a 105-105 game between the Celtics and Pacers.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Re: 2009 RealGM Red Sox Summit 

Post#2 » by greenbeans » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:40 pm

-Hinged on Teixera signing now it's all about payroll flexibility. Wanna ditch your overpriced in these bad economis times? Give Theo a ring.

-Teixera, though it would have almost been impossible. If we offered 190 the Yankees would have done 200, and so on.

-It will be JBay for everyone not in Pitt.

-Jon Lester, can he really do that again?

-Every pitcher stays healthy and is productive, which would give us a simply DOMINANT staff.

-Ortiz and Lowell don't improve, forcing our hand to make a move for a prominent offensive player.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#3 » by sunshinekids99 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:18 pm

This offseason has been a huge risk/reward offseason. The signings of Smoltz, Penny, Rocco, and Saito have really showed that. I'm a huge fan of this offseason tho. I think the Red Sox took the gamble on the right players.

I heard rumors of Prince Fielder earlier in the offseason, so I don't know the likely hood that he would of been dealt tho. If there was a chance, I would have liked to see them make a better push.

Jacoby Ellsbury will have a breakout season. He had his moments last year, but at the end of the season he lost his job basically to Coco Crisp. Ellsbury really has a chance to step up this season. He's still very young and has great speed. I hope the Sox staff has gotten into his head that he has to use his speed more, hit the ball on the ground more. Ellsbury does have some pop in his bat, but he needs to let it come to him more.

Ramon Ramirez is my pick. I know he wasn't with the team last year, but I'm not sure he can provide what he gave the Royals last season. He was pretty dominate last year, but he's not pitching in front of nobody anymore. Some guys just can't handle the pressure in Boston.

If the Sox can keep their pitching healthy they will be there in the end. They really have a chance to have a dominate pitching staff. Best case this team wins the World Series.

As I mentioned in question 1, it was a risk-reward offseason. While I think it will prove to be a reward, it also could be a disaster. Smoltz, Saito, and Penny may prove to not be able to stay healthy. Who knows with Rocco how much he can play. And with Lowell and Ortiz come off injuries who knows how they will return. Worst case this team finishes third place in a very tough AL East.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#4 » by Celtics_Champs » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:26 pm

Might as well fill this out while waiting in the red sox ticket virtual waiting room. What a bleeping joke that is, I would rather just wait overnight in the cold.

The re-signings of Pedroia and Youkillis were huge. I give them an A-.

Out of all the juicy names, I was sold on Fielder. I would have loved to see Theo make a deal for him.

I like Jason Bay here. I believe he can get over 35 Home Runs if he stays healthy this year. And will make the crowd chant Manny Who? Runner-Up: Justin Masterson

Hmmm. Tough one. I am going to say Papelbon. Maybe he will look ahead to his big contract, and might struggle.

World Series win.

Injuries, clubhouse fights, 3rd place.
Dirty Water
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Post#5 » by Dirty Water » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:18 am

B-. Pretty good considering the circumstances with the economy. Made some smart one year deals than are just low risk high reward. ie penny, baldelli etc. Although Texiera may have been nice I'm glad we didn't break the bank for a guy like Sabathia who obviously has something against pitching in October.

Trading lugo. He's had his chance. Texiera would have been nice to sign, but I understand it's hard to lock a guy up for a contract like that in this economy.

Jacoby Ellsbury. He has too many tools not to. .297 10 HRs, 55 RBIs 60 steals

Wouldn't say he had a strong 08, but I really am not expecting a damn thing out of Mike Lowell this season. I have a feeling he'll be on the DL by July. Just about that time in his career.

Winning the world series would definitely be within the reason. This team is designed to be there in the end every year.

Third place. Lowell and Drew battle injuries. None of Penny/Smoltz/Baldelli show anything. Papi regresses and it becomes obvious this team needs a young power bat at some point.
NES 247
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#6 » by NES 247 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:12 am

Besides the whole Teixeria situation, I'm pretty happy with the offseason. I can live with Tek for another offseason. We failed to get a big bat but we bolstered our bullpen significantly, and added depth to the rotation. We have guys who have low risk and are high reward, but we won't rely on them heavily, which is good. Even if they fail we have organizational depth to help out.
Its got to be Teixeria, but in the end he didnt want to come here anyway, so its all water under the bridge.
I really don't know, we don't have too many young guys that can breakout. I'll say Ellsbury
Kevin Youkilis, there is no way he puts up those numbers again. He reached his peak power numbers last year
World Series Champions
3rd place in AL East, missed playoffs
APerna
Editor
And1: 1

Post#7 » by APerna » Wed Apr 1, 2009 6:56 pm

Posting this shortly...
+ PF
"If Jack makes that shot, the game is over." - Tommy Heinsohn after Jarrett Jack missed a shot at the buzzer of a 105-105 game between the Celtics and Pacers.

Return to Boston Red Sox