Bard in, Lopez out

greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Bard in, Lopez out 

Post#1 » by greenbeans » Sun May 10, 2009 10:52 pm

There just may be a god after all..
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/r ... n:twit:sox
Daniel Bard blew away batters throughout spring training, rarely letting a single baserunner on. He did just as well in his brief stint with Triple A Pawtucket this season, a stint which has reached a conclusion for now.

Bard, the fire-balling right handed reliever, has been called up today, the first call-up of his professional career. With Javier Lopez designated for assignment after last night's game, that opens up the spot for the pitcher taken in the first round of the 2006 draft out of North Carolina.

This season, Bard has a 1.13 ERA in 11 appearances, spanning 16 innings. He has allowed two runs on six hits and five walks, while striking out 29 batters. Hitters are batting .115 off of him.

"What would be ideal is to get him in a game where he has a little bit of leeway," manager Terry Francona said. "That may not happen. I think I said the same thing with Cla Meredith. We'll see. Is he here to stay? We really don't know. I don't think that is the most urgent thing on everybody's mind now."

Bard, who will be 24 in June, last pitched on May 6, so he would be available whenever the Sox need him.

I am genuinely excited about this kid. Especially with him having that crappy 07 and completely turning it around and becoming a dominant reliever last year and in his short time at Pawtucket this year. 29k/5bb in 16innings? Let's roll Danny boy.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Re: Bard in, Lopez out 

Post#2 » by sunshinekids99 » Mon May 11, 2009 10:08 am

Nice to hear. I'm not sure if I'm more excitied that Bard is in or if Lopez is gone? Either way this is great news.
JCizzle
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#3 » by JCizzle » Tue May 12, 2009 5:35 pm

sunshinekids99 wrote:Nice to hear. I'm not sure if I'm more excitied that Bard is in or if Lopez is gone? Either way this is great news.

haha same here. Bard has been filthy this year in AAA, well deserved call up. Just need to be patient with the young guy.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#4 » by greenbeans » Thu May 14, 2009 7:32 pm

I ended up missing it due to the Lost finale, but it looks like Bard had a good first outing:
2ip 1k 1bb 1h.
How'd his stuff look?

Return to Boston Red Sox