ImageImageImageImage

Loyal to a fault

jumanji
Sixth Man
And1: 4

Loyal to a fault 

Post#1 » by jumanji » Sat May 30, 2009 9:16 pm

At what point do they stop sidestepping the David Ortiz issue and just put him on the bench (or more)? This whole thing about being loyal might work when you're 10 games up in the division but not when you're in danger of being overtaken for good.

While on the subject, Clay Bucholz needs to be brought up. This staff is not 5 deep that he cant break into the rotation.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,515

Re: Loyal to a fault 

Post#2 » by canman1971 » Sat May 30, 2009 9:52 pm

Ortiz needs to be benched. It is that simple. Put him on the DL and move on. He had a terrible year last year and it has continued. This team isn't good enough to wait to find out what they already know.
jumanji
Sixth Man

Post#3 » by jumanji » Sun May 31, 2009 1:03 am

canman1971 wrote:Ortiz needs to be benched. It is that simple. Put him on the DL and move on. He had a terrible year last year and it has continued. This team isn't good enough to wait to find out what they already know.

That's my feeling. Sad thing is there isnt anyone wasting away on the bench to replace him. I guess you could DH Lowell and play Youkilis at 3rd. They need to trade for a bat.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#4 » by greenbeans » Sun May 31, 2009 1:15 am

How sad this all is, I personally would like to see them stick it out w/ him until the as break. Maybe I'm being a foolish ballwasher, but I think he has another solid run in him of 2/3 months, hopefully that ends up being here in 2009 and not somewhere else.
Another thing that sucks is the one guy we have in the pipeline who figures to be a legit power bat is hitting .233 in Portland.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#5 » by Celtics_Champs » Sun May 31, 2009 7:08 am

Trade for Hanley. It's gonna take a lot but who cares. It's always going to take a lot.

You get Hanley, A. He fills your shortstop hole. B. He fills your offense hole.

Maybe he can cheer up his dominican buddy too.
greenbeans
RealGM

Post#6 » by greenbeans » Sun May 31, 2009 7:57 am

He certainly would be quite the pickup if Florida does budge.
jumanji
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by jumanji » Sun May 31, 2009 5:17 pm

Celtics_Champs wrote:Trade for Hanley. It's gonna take a lot but who cares. It's always going to take a lot.

You get Hanley, A. He fills your shortstop hole. B. He fills your offense hole.

Maybe he can cheer up his dominican buddy too.

Have the Marlins indicated any willingness to part with players? He certainly would fill a major need in the field and at the plate.
JCizzle
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#8 » by JCizzle » Sun May 31, 2009 8:30 pm

It would take Clay, Bowden, Ellsbury and maybe even another piece like Bard. Ouch.

I don't agree with benching Papi, but do agree that Clay needs to be up here somehow. I think (and hope) Theo is just waiting till June 15 to move Penny.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#9 » by sunshinekids99 » Sun May 31, 2009 11:40 pm

The key date for the Sox is the 15th of June. This is when Penny can be traded as well as when John Smoltz needs to be added to the roster. So I fully expect Penny to get traded somewhere.

As for Clay, he sure has proved he deserves a shot again. But I think Smoltz gets the first call for the Sox. I'm assuming they will be using the baby gloves on Clay.

Now to the big question on David Ortiz. I fully believe that David Ortiz has 15 days to break out it. Otherwise you will see Brad Penny getting move and a bat will be coming in to fill his spot.

Possible players I could see being available:
Nick Johnson
Adam Dunn (Washington only has him for 1 year anyways, should be able to bring in some prospects)
Josh Willingham
Todd Helton
Travis Hafner
Jose Guillen
Russell Branyan
Jack Cust
Jason Giambi
Matt Holliday
Carlos Lee

Now I'm sure I'm missing a ton of guys, but I think there will be a lot out there if the Sox are willing to pay the price.

The next 15 days will be huge for the Boston Red Sox 2009 season.
greenbeans
RealGM

Post#10 » by greenbeans » Mon Jun 1, 2009 4:17 am

New pipedream: I'd love to see the brothers Drew starting for us, anyone have a clue how much they value that kid out there? He's not exactly Hanley, but he's someone you can plan on being a starting ss for the next decade.
jumanji
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by jumanji » Mon Jun 1, 2009 7:14 pm

JCizzle wrote:It would take Clay, Bowden, Ellsbury and maybe even another piece like Bard. Ouch.

I don't agree with benching Papi, but do agree that Clay needs to be up here somehow. I think (and hope) Theo is just waiting till June 15 to move Penny.

If they think they're rebuilding there in Florida (again) then the price probably would be Clay and Lowrie and maybe Bard. Your list is way too much.

As for Papi i think he's done, he shows nothing to me that there is anything left in the tank but i hope to heck i'm wrong. I'd check his birth certificate because he looks to be about 40.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by sunshinekids99 » Mon Jun 1, 2009 8:37 pm

If it would take Clay, Lowrie, and Bard to get Ramirez I would think he would be a Boston Red Sox. It would cost more than that. I don't think he's far off from what would need to happen to get Hanley back in a Sox uniform.
jumanji
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by jumanji » Mon Jun 1, 2009 9:35 pm

sunshinekids99 wrote:If it would take Clay, Lowrie, and Bard to get Ramirez I would think he would be a Boston Red Sox. It would cost more than that. I don't think he's far off from what would need to happen to get Hanley back in a Sox uniform.

You might be right about the price but Florida probably hasnt gotten to the point yet where they would think of making moves. At 23-28 it may be getting close.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#14 » by Celtics_Champs » Mon Jun 1, 2009 11:46 pm

They're coming to Fenway in a couple weeks, let's sweep em, show them they're out of it, and chant "We want Hanley" when him or Lugo are at the bat.
JCizzle
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#15 » by JCizzle » Tue Jun 2, 2009 1:09 pm

jumanji wrote:
JCizzle wrote:It would take Clay, Bowden, Ellsbury and maybe even another piece like Bard. Ouch.

If they think they're rebuilding there in Florida (again) then the price probably would be Clay and Lowrie and maybe Bard. Your list is way too much.

As for Papi i think he's done, he shows nothing to me that there is anything left in the tank but i hope to heck i'm wrong. I'd check his birth certificate because he looks to be about 40.

Well - what you suggested would be a 'fair' price if we weren't bidding against anyone, but we certainly would be and teams would be throwing tons of players at them. He's the best player in the game, and the Marlins will definitely demand a huge package for him. It's also worth noting that the Marlins almost never end up on the wrong side of a deal involving prospects.

I personally have a feeling that the Sox are happy where they are and will be minor players at the deadline (maybe a 2nd tier trade). I think Theo is really happy with the farm and the depth it provides us down the stretch - particularly the gems of the farm. However, I guess anything is possible and maybe he does pull off some monster deal. :wink:
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by sunshinekids99 » Tue Jun 2, 2009 8:50 pm

I think the Sox have to make a big move at the deadline if Ortiz hasn't got it going by then. I'd love to see someone like Adam Dunn come in from Washington.
Dirty Water
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Post#17 » by Dirty Water » Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:25 am

This just in: Ortiz 3 HRs in last 5 games...

...turned the corner?
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by sunshinekids99 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:28 pm

Ortiz is starting to look a lot better.

Return to Boston Red Sox