Lakers/Celtics Rivalry

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Wilford Brimley
Banned User
And1: 81

Lakers/Celtics Rivalry 

Post#1 » by Wilford Brimley » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:34 pm

Am I the only one who has a problem with this Lakers/Celtics "Rivalry" the NBA tries to shove down our throats? WTF is this a rivalry? Oooh so they met a few times in the NBA Finals back in the 80s and once in 2008, who the **** cares? They only play twice a year, and with so many games on the schedule, the outcome of the game doesn't really effect the grand scheme of things. Furthermore, home court advantage only effects them if they meet in the Finals (which I don't think they will).

The Steelers and Cowboys have met in the SB 3 times, and no one considers them "rivals," for instance.

This Lakers/Celtics "rivalry" thing is (Please Use More Appropriate Word). Am I the only one?

EDIT: Alos, **** Mark Jackson
96 Til Infiniti
Sixth Man
And1: 4

Re: Lakers/Celtics Rivalry 

Post#2 » by 96 Til Infiniti » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:37 pm

the fact they only play twice a year is what makes these games so hyped and its obviously going to be considered more of a rivalry when both sides are contenders. get over it.
Thank you, Phil.
Zin5
Starter
And1: 328

Post#3 » by Zin5 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:46 pm

It's definitely the biggest rivalry in the NBA. As a Celtic fan, the few games every year I remember most are the games against LA, even when neither team is contending. It's probably difficult to understand viewing it from the outside, but it is easily the biggest rivalry in the sport. Of course ESPN's going to hype it to hell. Two teams in major markets with a rich history against each other that are both currently contending teams. It doesn't take much thought to realize that.
#loveboston
illiance
RealGM
And1: 507

Post#4 » by illiance » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:04 pm

Well they are the best teams in their conferences, which makes it the most likely NBA Finals match-up. So of course there's going to be some hype. With the lack of real rivalries in the NBA right now, this is the best they got.
irie
RealGM
And1: 4,502

Post#5 » by irie » Mon Feb 1, 2010 4:07 am

What's a better rivalry?
♣|☸
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#6 » by Blame Rasho » Mon Feb 1, 2010 4:09 am

UoI19 wrote:Well they are the best teams in their conferences, which makes it the most likely NBA Finals match-up. So of course there's going to be some hype. With the lack of real rivalries in the NBA right now, this is the best they got.

Exactly...

It isn't a surprise that ESPN, ABC, NBATV all pimp the match up hard...
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,446

Post#7 » by SichtingLives » Mon Feb 1, 2010 4:35 am

:-?

Celtics/Lakers
Red Sox/Yankees
Duke/UNC
Ohio State/Michigan

^^^rivalries

your team/that team?

Not so much.

You could always rewrite the dictionary if that's not good enough.

btw, we have more rings combined than every other team in the NBA put together. Percolate on that for second.
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
kobesmyhomie
Senior
And1: 5

Post#8 » by kobesmyhomie » Mon Feb 1, 2010 5:13 am

Ok these 2 teams have met 11 times in the NBA finals. On top of that they have won 32 of the 63 Championships.

And did you notice how chippy the game was in the beginning?
pross
Veteran
And1: 174

Post#9 » by pross » Mon Feb 1, 2010 5:51 am

kobesmyhomie wrote:Ok these 2 teams have met 11 times in the NBA finals. On top of that they have won 32 of the 63 Championships.

And did you notice how chippy the game was in the beginning?

This. Finally I agree with a Lakers fan :D
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#10 » by JellosJigglin » Mon Feb 1, 2010 5:52 am

Unless you're a fan of either team, you simply won't get it. Its a rivalry that spans across generations. The players don't like each other, the fan bases don't like each other, and the cities couldn't be more opposite.

L.A. is warm, glitzy and laid back. Boston is cold, bland and smelly. L.A. has beaches, in-n-out burgers, and bentleys. Boston has dank urine-puddled pubs, fish markets, and rusty buicks.

Its not hard to see how this rivalry stemmed from Boston's general insecurity and jealousy of Los Angeles.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
Mapelgleaf
Assistant Coach
And1: 280

Post#11 » by Mapelgleaf » Mon Feb 1, 2010 5:59 am

No offense to the OP, but you must not be very old bro.

If you can erase this thread so no one holds it against you in the future I would look into it.

As a fan of the NBA (and not of either team) even I get pumped watching the two teams play.

Now I just hope history repeats itself and my Bulls start a new dynasty afterwards :)
Websites • SEO • Graphic Design
http://www.AstuteWebGroup.com
SichtingLives
RealGM
And1: 25,446

Post#12 » by SichtingLives » Mon Feb 1, 2010 6:09 am

JellosJigglin wrote:Unless you're a fan of either team, you simply won't get it. Its a rivalry that spans across generations. The players don't like each other, the fan bases don't like each other, and the cities couldn't be more opposite.

L.A. is warm, glitzy and laid back. Boston is cold, bland and smelly. L.A. has beaches, in-n-out burgers, and bentleys. Boston has dank urine-puddled pubs, fish markets, and rusty buicks.

Its not hard to see how this rivalry stemmed from Boston's general insecurity and jealousy of Los Angeles.

nice bait :lol:

from someone who has lived in LA and Boston I have to say LA gets the edge in scenery and weather, but you guys are as airheaded is it gets. Once conversation ventures beyond the cover of Us weekly, get ready for some blank stares. Maybe we shouldn't generalize so much :wink:
10 miles through the snow uphill both ways
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#13 » by DEEP3CL » Mon Feb 1, 2010 6:56 am

Chevelle2 wrote:Am I the only one who has a problem with this Lakers/Celtics "Rivalry" the NBA tries to shove down our throats? WTF is this a rivalry?
No one is shoving this down your throat, this rivalry existed before you were probably born.Hell it existed before I was born.

Chevelle2 wrote: Oooh so they met a few times in the NBA Finals back in the 80s and once in 2008, who the **** cares?
This right here proves you know NOTHING about the rivalry and want to come off like no one else cares by downing what has been built up over 50 years. If you had did any research you'd know this rivalry started in the 60's, and bad blood built up over countless of playoff defeats to the Celtics. Some even after the Lakers were leading the series 3-1 or 3-2 only to lose.

Chevelle2 wrote: They only play twice a year,
That's exactly what keeps it alive for the true Laker and Celtic fans........it's tradition with both cities, and you clearly have no clue of the magnitude of it.

Chevelle2 wrote: and with so many games on the schedule, the outcome of the game doesn't really effect the grand scheme of things.
Oh how wrong you are........with these two teams it works into the mental psyche of how a series would be played out.

Chevelle2 wrote: This Lakers/Celtics "rivalry" thing is (Please Use More Appropriate Word). Am I the only one?
In essence you're probably not, but the bottom line is you have no clue how this became a rivalry so you hate it because you don't know about it because you're too young. Only Laker and Celtic fans understand this
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.

Return to The General Board