ImageImageImageImageImage

Carmelo is 'sure' the Knicks are a playoff squad

Moderators: Jeff Van Gully, dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, mpharris36, GONYK, HerSports85

mrtease
Sophomore
And1: 220

Re: Carmelo is 'sure' the Knicks are a playoff squad 

Post#41 » by mrtease » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:02 pm

Zooropa wrote:
Carmelo Anthony already has claimed Knicks fans should not expect a championship this season.
But the playoffs are another matter. In fact, Anthony on Monday asserted his belief the Knicks “absolutely” will be back in the playoffs after missing out last season.

“Yeah, I think so for sure. Absolutely,” an impressively slimmed-down Anthony said of the Knicks’ playoff chances before entering the a Midtown gym for a late morning-to-early afternoon workout with a group of NBA players.
Anthony snuffed an attempt to establish any goals for the revamped Knicks, who will enter their first full season under team president Phil Jackson and new coach Derek Fisher.

“I can’t wait to get started,” said Anthony, who missed the playoffs for the first time in his career when the Knicks stumbled to a 37-45 record last season. “No goals. Not setting any goals, but I just can’t wait to get it back on.”

http://nypost.com/2014/08/18/carmelo-is ... off-squad/

For what its worth (not much), from Daniel Artest earlier today:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/DMArtestQB/status/501531675327598592[/tweet]

Later on in the article:

The Knicks, of course, will have a decidedly new look. Among the departed are Tyson Chandler, Raymond Felton and Jeremy Tyler. New faces include Samuel Dalembert, Jose Calderon, Travis Outlaw, Quincy Acy, Jason Smith, Shane Larkin and Cleanthony Early.

Of the moves, Anthony said, “I’m cool, I’m happy, but I don’t really want to get into details about that.”

:roll:

And Anthony hasn’t quite had Boss Jackson on speed dial since signing his five-year, $124 million deal that kept him away from Chicago.

“I haven’t really talked to him since we took care of everything,” Anthony said.

Its the offseason so theres far too much time to analyze, but those two quotes are a bit of a bummer (although the former is more of a head scratcher than anything).

No surprise about the playoff comments.

God damn I can't wait for the season to start.

Why did you cut out this part of the article:

And Anthony showed some of that desire Monday in the closed, high-caliber workout with assorted NBA players. One of the participants, who asked not to be named, said Anthony “clearly was the best player on the court. He didn’t take a lot of shots but he was very efficient. He looked like Melo. He looked like he had something to prove.”

and replace it with the negative tweet?
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,583

Post#42 » by Capn'O » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:26 pm

mrtease wrote:
And Anthony showed some of that desire Monday in the closed, high-caliber workout with assorted NBA players. One of the participants, who asked not to be named, said Anthony “clearly was the best player on the court. He didn’t take a lot of shots but he was very efficient. He looked like Melo. He looked like he had something to prove.”

Yo - I am jazzed. He seems to have taken PMFJB's challenges quite well. He's doing it right. He seems genuinely excited to be playing.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
Zooropa
Veteran
And1: 1,881

Post#43 » by Zooropa » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:26 pm

mrtease wrote:
Zooropa wrote:
Carmelo Anthony already has claimed Knicks fans should not expect a championship this season.
But the playoffs are another matter. In fact, Anthony on Monday asserted his belief the Knicks “absolutely” will be back in the playoffs after missing out last season.

“Yeah, I think so for sure. Absolutely,” an impressively slimmed-down Anthony said of the Knicks’ playoff chances before entering the a Midtown gym for a late morning-to-early afternoon workout with a group of NBA players.
Anthony snuffed an attempt to establish any goals for the revamped Knicks, who will enter their first full season under team president Phil Jackson and new coach Derek Fisher.

“I can’t wait to get started,” said Anthony, who missed the playoffs for the first time in his career when the Knicks stumbled to a 37-45 record last season. “No goals. Not setting any goals, but I just can’t wait to get it back on.”

Later on in the article:

The Knicks, of course, will have a decidedly new look. Among the departed are Tyson Chandler, Raymond Felton and Jeremy Tyler. New faces include Samuel Dalembert, Jose Calderon, Travis Outlaw, Quincy Acy, Jason Smith, Shane Larkin and Cleanthony Early.

Of the moves, Anthony said, “I’m cool, I’m happy, but I don’t really want to get into details about that.”

And Anthony hasn’t quite had Boss Jackson on speed dial since signing his five-year, $124 million deal that kept him away from Chicago.

“I haven’t really talked to him since we took care of everything,” Anthony said.

Its the offseason so theres far too much time to analyze, but those two quotes are a bit of a bummer (although the former is more of a head scratcher than anything).

Because I hate Melo and the Knicks.

Kidding. I honestly missed that quote when I first read the article last night. Seeing Lance's name mentioned reminded me of Artest's tweet, which I had seen earlier in the day. My mistake.
"The Jeff Hornacek Experience"
mrtease
Sophomore
And1: 220

Post#44 » by mrtease » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:35 pm

Zooropa wrote:
mrtease wrote:
Zooropa wrote:

Later on in the article:

Kidding. I honestly missed that quote when I first read the article last night. Seeing Lance's name mentioned reminded me of Artest's tweet, which I had seen earlier in the day. My mistake.

Ha- you missed the best bit, man!
Zooropa
Veteran

Post#45 » by Zooropa » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:44 pm

mrtease wrote:
Zooropa wrote:
mrtease wrote:

Fair play––edited the original post :)
Zooropa
Veteran

Post#46 » by Zooropa » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:49 pm

mrtease wrote:
Zooropa wrote:
mrtease wrote:

Just realized that the article title has been updated; the quote in question definitely wasn't in the initial version of the story posted last night. I thought I was going crazy because I wasn't sure how I missed it.
JSmooth93
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,844

Post#47 » by JSmooth93 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:28 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTh4Y-qP8KM[/youtube]
Short footage from the game.
yb90
Senior
And1: 233

Post#48 » by yb90 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:45 pm

Is it me or is Carmelo keeping JR really close this off-season. I mean Jr said him and Melo have been going 3-a-days since May on Sportsnation a while ago and they seem to be together a lot this off-season.
Zooropa
Veteran

Post#49 » by Zooropa » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:51 pm

yb90 wrote:Is it me or is Carmelo keeping JR really close this off-season. I mean Jr said him and Melo have been going 3-a-days since May on Sportsnation a while ago and they seem to be together a lot this off-season.

They've always been best friends, at least on the team.
Brooklyn_Yards
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,322

Post#50 » by Brooklyn_Yards » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:07 pm

yb90 wrote:Is it me or is Carmelo keeping JR really close this off-season. I mean Jr said him and Melo have been going 3-a-days since May on Sportsnation a while ago and they seem to be together a lot this off-season.

This has been every summer since JR and Melo have been teammates.
BAT 14.0 Utah Jazz
PG: Toney Parker
SG: Jimmy Butler
SF:
PF:
C: Nikola Vucevic
yb90
Senior

Post#51 » by yb90 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:15 pm

Zooropa wrote:

I get that I just never remember them training together in the off-season so much. They very well could have been but it was not discuss as much or I didn't notice it.
MrProb
Analyst
And1: 1,419

Post#52 » by MrProb » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:16 pm

Brooklyn_Yards wrote:

This has been every summer since JR and Melo have been teammates.

Then JR drifted apart during the season when only Melo stay focus, the man weathered the storm (of NBA schedule)
but by the time the perfect storm(playoffs) is approaching, Melo is in no condition to carry the team&sail himself to the shore.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#53 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:36 pm

Melo is right. #6 or #7 seed.
Thugger HBC
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,760
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?

Post#54 » by Thugger HBC » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:36 pm

yb90 wrote:
Zooropa wrote:

I get that I just never remember them training together in the off-season so much. They very well could have been but it was not discuss as much or I didn't notice it.

JR Smith shares the same trainer on a full time basis as Melo and Chris Paul.....Idan Ravin

It may seem they are doing more together, but they have for years now.
R. I. P. Mamba 8/23/78 - 1/26/20

Gone, but will never be forgotten
yb90
Senior

Post#55 » by yb90 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:54 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:
yb90 wrote:
Zooropa wrote:

JR Smith shares the same trainer on a full time basis as Melo and Chris Paul.....Idan Ravin

It may seem they are doing more together, but they have for years now.

Just looked up this article. I see I just never notice it before.

http://nypost.com/2014/06/22/trainer-uses-brains-brawn-to-help-groom-melo-amare-j-r/

Ravin started working with Smith in 2011. But when he carved out a few days in Miami to start workouts, Smith never showed.

Ravin writes, “That’s Swish,’’ other players said when I told them J.R. had vanished. “Great on some days, and not so great on others.’’

Hopefully, JR is taking his workouts more seriously this year and is dedicated.
duetta
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,536

Post#56 » by duetta » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:28 am

Knicks are probably a playoff team this season, barring a catastrophic injury to Anthony. The East is likely that weak - with the former best teams (Miami, Indiana) much weaker.
AlphakirA
Senior
And1: 308

Post#57 » by AlphakirA » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:52 am

2010 wrote:

This just means he is happy with the moves but he doesn't want to come off like he's blaming last season's failures on Tyson and Ray. JR Smith already put that out there though.

What did JR say? I haven't heard anything from anyone outside of Phil, Melo and Felton speak since the trade.
nykballa2k4
RealGM
And1: 5,909

Post#58 » by nykballa2k4 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:32 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:Melo is right. #6 or #7 seed.

I am done with all this negativity. We are going to get the 3rd seed this season. No reason not to.
Numbers don't lie, people who use them do
Stand up to all hate
Stand up to Jewish hate
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 14,328

Post#59 » by KnicksGadfly » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:42 am

nykballa2k4 wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:Melo is right. #6 or #7 seed.

I am done with all this negativity. We are going to get the 3rd seed this season. No reason not to.

Negativity? I honestly think that's realistic. If we get a 3rd seed, I'll be really happy. Of course, we don't aim for a 6 or 7th seed, but it's not a bad place to be, considering where we were last season.
Thorn
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,162

Post#60 » by Thorn » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:35 pm

To be fair, this is exactly what I would expect a leader to say. There is no story here, and those who try to twist this into anything that IS story worthy are lost souls.

If you ask me right now how my company is doing, as a leader I have to support my company to help motivate my team, and I have to try to draw in quality talent.

It doesn't get better if you sabotage it from inside at the highest levels.

If he said anything else he would be an idiot, and say what you want about Melo he is not an idiot.

MORE OVER under Phil I think he will thrive, and develop into an even better player.

Good for Melo for saying the right thing, but to me not news worthy at all.

Return to New York Knicks