ImageImage

New Arena Thread - Plans Announced Tomorrow? pg 58

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

0BobLobLaw0
Starter
And1: 2,018

Re: New Arena Thread - Tribes offer $200+ million - State Says No Thanks 

Post#381 » by 0BobLobLaw0 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:33 pm

I went from 99.9% sure this stadium was getting done a few weeks ago, to about 60% sure now.

Just have a bad feeling since the Indian Tribes stepped in and muddied the whole thing up.
Why should you go to jail for a crime someone else noticed? You don't need double talk... You need Bob Loblaw.
TripGs
Ballboy
And1: 22

Post#382 » by TripGs » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:39 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:The city and county do have to wait until there is a specific proposal put out by the Bucks. It would be very helpful if Barrett and Abele would get in front of the cameras and say "the city and county are very excited that a project is this magnitude will be built in Milwaukee. The benefits will be tremendous. Once the specifics are outlined we will work together with the state to get the development done". But they haven't done that.

You mean, like this? http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/292073851.html
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,650

Post#383 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Feb 17, 2015 4:59 pm

Yes Barrett finally spoke up last week when he was asked about it. We discussed it here. He waited until his trolley got approved. Now he needs to get out and be the #1 cheerleader to get this done. Does he think a TIFF would work? Or is that off the table? Is it out lobbying Milwaukee legislators to have them support the jock tax in Madison? Some Dem support in committee would offset some GOP opposition. I want Barrett to earn the right to be all smiles at the ribbon cutting ceromony later this year
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#384 » by EastSideBucksFan » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:55 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JayWeber3/status/567685090163974145[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JayWeber3/status/567685308922077186[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JayWeber3/status/567685596752396289[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JayWeber3/status/567686436040613889[/tweet]
HaroldinGMinor
RealGM
And1: 14,799

Post#385 » by HaroldinGMinor » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:20 pm

Badgerlander wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
Badgerlander wrote:
To who? There's no referendum. Don't the Republicans control the State Senate, etc?

Yep, but they also have to convince their districts on this. They need to be re-elected as well.

oh, I thought they could start drawing a pension after 5 whole years of service or something like that

It's that way in the private sector too (for companies that still pay out pensions)
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,126

Post#386 » by humanrefutation » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:21 pm

HaroldinGMinor wrote:
Badgerlander wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:
Yep, but they also have to convince their districts on this. They need to be re-elected as well.

oh, I thought they could start drawing a pension after 5 whole years of service or something like that

It's that way in the private sector too (for companies that still pay out pensions)

It's not that simple even if they pay out pensions. Many politicians are not in the game solely for a pension, and even if they were to retire and take one, the party is going to want to hold on to that seat.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,165

Post#387 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:37 pm

Whenever I head Chris Abele's voice, it reminds me of the teacher character Driessen from Beavis and Butthead.

That said, I do feel like Abele actually gets this stuff and is a guy I could sit down and have a beer with and negotiate a win-win type deal in Milwaukee. I'm not worried about Abele delivering something here or helping it get done. I sort of wish Abele would run for Mayor next year.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,337

Post#388 » by crkone » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:40 pm

The lobbyists and some donations by LED with get this through. But WTF? When is the plan actually gonna come out? Is someone on vacation? :lol:

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#389 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:05 pm

Having the plan released would defintely break the log jam.

I agree with PP in that I have more confidence in Abele than in Barrett.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#391 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:16 pm

Stepping away from financing and location here's an article on the design

http://www.jsonline.com/entertainment/a ... 34551.html
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#392 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:21 pm

Here's another instance of a TIFF being used to spur business development. We are (correctly) not seeing a bunch of "outrage" over this.

Where is Common Ground? Why haven't they given their lists of demands that need to be met for this project to continue?

http://fox6now.com/2015/02/19/spring-20 ... -von-maur/
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
MadBlueEdwards
Analyst
And1: 1,317

Post#393 » by MadBlueEdwards » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:45 pm

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:Here's another instance of a TIFF being used to spur business development. We are (correctly) not seeing a bunch of "outrage" over this.

Where is Common Ground? Why haven't they given their lists of demands that need to be met for this project to continue?

http://fox6now.com/2015/02/19/spring-20 ... -von-maur/

Speaking of Common Ground....the pastor at my church mentioned that they contacted him very recently. Apparently they're going around to a lot of churches in the area trying to gain support for their cause.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#394 » by humanrefutation » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:03 pm

All the hate for Common Ground here is misguided. They're not some rich corporation owned by billionaires looking for a public handout to line their pockets. They're a community organization of 40,000 parents, teachers, community partners, and other individuals. They work on many community issues, but this current issue their membership has identified as a need is for is a financial investment in the dilapidated recreational facilities and athletic fields throughout the city.

I know a few people who work with Common Ground. They're good, hardworking, sincere people who want to see the best for their kids and the students throughout MPS and other public districts in SE Wisconsin.

You can certainly disagree with their tactics, but unlike LED, they're looking for public investment in public infrastructure, not public investment in private enterprise.
MadBlueEdwards
Analyst

Post#395 » by MadBlueEdwards » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:57 pm

humanrefutation wrote:All the hate for Common Ground here is misguided. They're not some rich corporation owned by billionaires looking for a public handout to line their pockets. They're a community organization of 40,000 parents, teachers, community partners, and other individuals. They work on many community issues, but this current issue their membership has identified as a need is for is a financial investment in the dilapidated recreational facilities and athletic fields throughout the city.

I know a few people who work with Common Ground. They're good, hardworking, sincere people who want to see the best for their kids and the students throughout MPS and other public districts in SE Wisconsin.

You can certainly disagree with their tactics, but unlike LED, they're looking for public investment in public infrastructure, not public investment in private enterprise.

I definitely applaud and respect their goal, but like you said (kind of), their tactics are a little questionable.

From what I remember, they basically said: "We support the arena as long as some of the arena money goes to parks. If not, we're going to raise hell and do what we can to keep the arena from ever happening." Seems a little juvenile. Am I misinformed?
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#396 » by humanrefutation » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:06 pm

MadBlueEdwards wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:All the hate for Common Ground here is misguided. They're not some rich corporation owned by billionaires looking for a public handout to line their pockets. They're a community organization of 40,000 parents, teachers, community partners, and other individuals. They work on many community issues, but this current issue their membership has identified as a need is for is a financial investment in the dilapidated recreational facilities and athletic fields throughout the city.

I definitely applaud and respect their goal, but like you said (kind of), their tactics are a little questionable.

From what I remember, they basically said: "We support the arena as long as some of the arena money goes to parks. If not, we're going to raise hell and do what we can to keep the arena from ever happening." Seems a little juvenile. Am I misinformed?

I don't know if they're taking a stance that's either pro-arena or anti-arena. Their message is basically "we need to renovate the crumbling athletic fields and recreational facilities in this city for the hundreds of thousands of kids in SE Wisconsin who could benefit from that updated infrastructure. If we're giving hundreds of millions of dollars to the exorbitantly wealthy owners of the Bucks to help build an arena, we should fund these projects, too."

It's undoubtedly true that they have been critical of the owners of the Bucks for seeking public funding for this arena. They're not alone in that view, though. There are many people (including some posters here) who are opposed to public financing being used for this arena.

So, you can disagree with their view on that. You may not think the issue of the arena and the fields/parks/rec center are tied together. We can discuss that without disparaging Common Ground. Their cause is noble and important in my view, even if you don't like the way they're approaching it.
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#397 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:02 pm

I don't have any issue with their cause. Let them go about it in a different way than they've been doing if they don't want to be disparaged.

The means do matter to a degree, not just the ends.
97-98

Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,

I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
MadBlueEdwards
Analyst

Post#398 » by MadBlueEdwards » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:02 pm

humanrefutation wrote:I don't know if they're taking a stance that's either pro-arena or anti-arena. Their message is basically "we need to renovate the crumbling athletic fields and recreational facilities in this city for the hundreds of thousands of kids in SE Wisconsin who could benefit from that updated infrastructure. If we're giving hundreds of millions of dollars to the exorbitantly wealthy owners of the Bucks to help build an arena, we should fund these projects, too."

It's undoubtedly true that they have been critical of the owners of the Bucks for seeking public funding for this arena. They're not alone in that view, though. There are many people (including some posters here) who are opposed to public financing being used for this arena.

So, you can disagree with their view on that. You may not think the issue of the arena and the fields/parks/rec center are tied together. We can discuss that without disparaging Common Ground. Their cause is noble and important in my view, even if you don't like the way they're approaching it.

I'm with you mostly. I do think their cause is noble and important and I don't mean to disparage them.

I do not think the issues should be tied together at all though. The crumbling parks and fields should absolutely be updated, but that shouldn't have anything to do with the arena.
WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,274

Post#399 » by WiscoKing13 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:25 pm

Abele is on up front. Says basically the city will give them the park east site and implement a tiff. Said no Republican wants to see a sales tax. Also talks about the 250 mil the owners and kohl have put up in comparison to the zero dollars the slum lord put up for miller park. Lastly talks about there nothing government can do at this point until the bucks release a plan.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#400 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:24 pm

I'm so curious what's going on behind the scenes. They had wanted to announce this last year and now we're going on March.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks