Image ImageImage Image

Poll: Is Jason Kidd out-coaching Thibs?

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

Is Jason Kidd out-coaching Thibs?

Yes
65%
No
28%
Fred Auerbach
6%

Total votes: 219

kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Re: Re: Poll: Is Jason Kidd out-coaching Thibs? 

Post#141 » by kyrv » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:23 am

Shill wrote:
Rerisen wrote:Joakim doesn't understand, or won't listen about guarding shooters. Is that on him or Thibs? You know darn well that Tom isn't telling him to stand halfway between the shooter and the rim, where he actually can't do jack to affect either most of the time, but yet that is what he mostly does.

After a whole year of playing 4s, he should have improved by now. I think that's a personnel issue.

When the Bulls big lineup gets a cross match in the jumbo with Niko being guarded by Middleton or some shorter player and he's right there in the post calling for the ball to create a mismatch and double, and the team spends 24 seconds and still can't get him the ball (a problem all year, we don't go to mismatches) to me that is on the players and not on the coach to be yelling mid play, where the ball should obviously be passed.

It could just as easily be argued that those are coaching issues.

Well, history suggests that it will fall on the coach.

Thibs is telling Noah to start. That's something we don't have to guess about. :banghead:
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Re: Re: Poll: Is Jason Kidd out-coaching Thibs? 

Post#142 » by kyrv » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:24 am

Indomitable wrote:
Rerisen wrote:
Shill wrote:

It could just as easily be argued that those are coaching issues.

So you think either Thibs isn't telling Jo to get out on stretch 4s, or he is but that Jo isn't listening - and maybe Hoiberg, or someone else, saying the exact same words - would get him to do it?

I guess it could be argued, but sounds like zero player responsibility, sounds like a narrative where every fault in the road lies to the same end, firing the coach.

Then Thibs should bench Noah's ass

Well can't argue that.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Re: Poll: Is Jason Kidd out-coaching Thibs? 

Post#143 » by Rerisen » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:26 am

If our coach is a bum though, who hired him?

Buck stops further up.
Shill
RealGM
And1: 5,928

Post#144 » by Shill » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:30 am

Rerisen wrote:If our coach is a bum though, who hired him?

The same person that will likely fire him.

I think Thibs is a great coach, but lemme axe you a question: do you trust him to make quick adjustments to the oddball lineups Cleveland will undoubtedly use?

I bet Gasol/Noah will start and play the most big-man minutes irrespective of what Cleveland is doing.
Scottie Pippen's response to whom he would pick for his running mate, Michael or LeBron: "That's a dumbass question. I've never done anything with LeBron. I wouldn't take LeBron to the movies."
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#145 » by Rerisen » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:32 am

Shill wrote:

That makes sense. Maybe they'll get the next one right.

People should get extra chances definitely, just not Thibs or Noah.
jl342323
General Manager
And1: 531

Post#146 » by jl342323 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:36 am

Buck stops further up.

arne duncan made recommendation to JR.

from my knowledge, gar never liked/wanted thibs.

And thibs negotiated directly with JR when it was time for him to extend his contract.

So you cant blame FO on this one.
“He don’t care (about offense). He just cares about defense. When we come down or shoot a bad shot or whatever, he don’t really care about that. -Rose talking about Thibs
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,414

Post#147 » by Indomitable » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:37 am

UI
Rerisen wrote:
Shill wrote:

That makes sense. Maybe they'll get the next one right.

People should get extra chances definitely, just not Thibs or Noah.

Tell thibs to show the willingness to not kiss a vets ass.
:banghead:
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#148 » by Rerisen » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:38 am

jl342323 wrote:

Buck stops further up.

arne duncan made recommendation to JR.

from my knowledge, gar never liked/wanted thibs.

And thibs negotiated directly with JR when it was time for him to extend his contract.

So you cant blame FO on this one.

Over meddling owner then? Back to that buck thing.

Or just maybe JR got it right, picked a coach better than Gar would have, and Gar needs to swallow his pride and let him do his job.

Last time Pax wanted D'antoni, before JR offended him about coaching defense. The very same coach that is routinely considered a laughingstock and clown on this board now.
Shill
RealGM

Post#149 » by Shill » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:43 am

Rerisen wrote:People should get extra chances definitely, just not Thibs or Noah.

Yet you've argued against Noah starting all year, no?
Scottie Pippen's response to whom he would pick for his running mate, Michael or LeBron: "That's a dumbass question. I've never done anything with LeBron. I wouldn't take LeBron to the movies."
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#150 » by Rerisen » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:46 am

Shill wrote:
Rerisen wrote:People should get extra chances definitely, just not Thibs or Noah.

My position is Jo should come off the bench, but still be expected to play 25-30 minutes unless he is straight garbage. Like he was last game. Because I think the very act of putting him back at center will help him play a lot better.

That's different than some, that just want to give up on him, and are building rotations where he is down to like 16 or 18 minutes and just left on the side of the road as we try to contend here in the playoffs. I guess they think Niko is now going to replace the impact of Jo's DPOY last season, so we don't need him.

That's a big reach. I don't see that strategy working to a good end.

The Bucks series is really masking some stuff because they are such a weird one-sided team. But I think it will come out that we need to find our defense more than offense.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,273

Post#151 » by kodo » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:48 am

Buck stops further up.

You can't fire the owner :lol:

Gar never wanted Thibs. This friction has been long in the making.

I'm not sure where Paxson stands on this, but probably with the Reinsdorfs.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#152 » by Rerisen » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:51 am

kodo wrote:You can't fire the owner :lol:

Well that's a problem! :P

Gar never wanted Thibs. This friction has been long in the making.

Gar never wanted him, ah yes, historically GMs want their own 'hand-picked' coach and often aren't happy till they dump the incumbent.

Is that what is really at play here, maybe a little, maybe more than just can this man coach better than most? Hmm.
Shill
RealGM

Post#153 » by Shill » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:54 am

Rerisen wrote:
Shill wrote:

My position is Jo should come off the bench, but still be expected to play 25-30 minutes unless he is straight garbage. Like he was last game. Because I think the very act of putting him back at center will help him play a lot better.

That's different than some, that just want to give up on him, and are building rotations where he is down to like 16 or 18 minutes and just left on the side of the road as we try to contend here in the playoffs. I guess they think Niko is now going to replace the impact of Jo's DPOY last season, so we don't need him.

That's a big reach. I don't see that strategy working to a good end.

Maybe I've missed it, but I feel like you've concocted this narrative that Noah shouldn't play at all. Who's arguing that?

My issue is Thibs's rigidity. I'm afraid he's incapable of change. Not a good quality to have in the playoffs.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#154 » by Rerisen » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:56 am

Shill wrote:My issue is Thibs's rigidity. I'm afraid he's incapable of change. Not a good quality to have in the playoffs.

I think Kidd could be out coaching him tbh (spoiler: that's what I voted with the first vote!). But we are still going to win the series handily most likely.

The next one is the one to get right.

We should clarify our stands sometimes I think.

Mine: Thibs is not perfect =/= (doesn't equal) we can easily find someone better.
jl342323
General Manager
And1: 531

Post#155 » by jl342323 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:57 am

Shill wrote:
My issue is Thibs's rigidity. I'm afraid he's incapable of change. Not a good quality to have in the playoffs.

Good news, i have seen him make gameplan changes in the playoffs.

Bad news, it only happens when he is desperate.
“He don’t care (about offense). He just cares about defense. When we come down or shoot a bad shot or whatever, he don’t really care about that. -Rose talking about Thibs
Shill
RealGM

Post#156 » by Shill » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:03 am

Rerisen wrote:
Shill wrote:My issue is Thibs's rigidity. I'm afraid he's incapable of change. Not a good quality to have in the playoffs.

I think Kidd could be out coaching him tbh. But we are still going to win the series handily most likely.

The next one is the one to get right.

We should clarify our stands sometimes I think.

Mine: Thibs is not perfect =/= (doesn't equal) we can easily find someone better.

I want to keep Thibs with one caveat: he shows flexibility.

The true litmus test is the Cleveland series (and Lord willing, beyond).
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#157 » by Rerisen » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:05 am

I kind of want Blatt to start LeBron at the 4.

Holy crap, that would be judgment day for Thibs's lineup.

Ultimate test of stubborness!

kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,273

Post#158 » by kodo » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:06 am

Rerisen wrote:Is that what is really at play here, maybe a little, maybe more than just can this man coach better than most? Hmm.

IMO it's definitely a factor.

I finally found an old Woj article about how this all went down. Woj is damn accurate so I'd tend to believe this over other reports.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=Aq_wCnL0GVqAr6nNMrWp_3S8vLYF?slug=aw-lebroninfluence060510

Something pushed Bulls officials to get on a plane, fly to Los Angeles on the eve of the NBA Finals and meet with the Boston Celtics assistant coach. Within 48 hours, the Bulls had a deal for Thibodeau to become their head coach. For several weeks, the Bulls had chances to interview him. They never did. Just a year ago, Thibodeau couldn’t get offers from the Sacramento Kings, Detroit Pistons, Philadelphia Sixers and Minnesota Timberwolves. The Celtics see him as a career assistant and wouldn’t even consider him as a candidate to replace Doc Rivers.

Only now, Tom Thibodeau has a three-year contract to coach the Chicago Bulls.

Some league executives don’t even believe Bulls general manager Gar Forman was sold on Thibodeau, but it doesn’t matter. Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf was. Everything is happening on the ownership level now
Shill
RealGM

Post#159 » by Shill » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:14 am

Rerisen wrote:I kind of want Blatt to start LeBron at the 4.

Holy crap, that would be judgment day for Thibs's lineup.

Ultimate test of stubborness!

fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,451

Post#160 » by fleet » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:06 am

Sam Smith says Thibs "tightens up" in the playoffs. Under pressure he reaches for familiar lineups. I hope Randy Whittman hasn't become more imaginative.

Thins has tried a few different things though I think. With mixed/unimpressive results. This issue isn't very clear.

I wonder if the Bulls still practice defense mostly. They arent getting enough offense off their defensive play. This sort of crushed their mojo, the Bulls havent held the Bucks any better than the Bucks normal performance usually is.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.

Return to Chicago Bulls