Are the Finals the GOAT test for LeBron?

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

I think . . .

LeBron is the GOAT, even if he loses Finals.
17%
LeBron becomes GOAT by winning Finals.
45%
LeBron isn't GOAT, even if he wins Finals.
38%

Total votes: 195

HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 18,562

Re: Are the Finals the GOAT test for LeBron? 

Post#56 » by HotRocks34 » Fri May 26, 2017 3:58 am

JordansBulls wrote:
HotRocks34 wrote:
JordansBulls wrote:No it didn't because CAvs lost game 4

Yes it did. Trust me, I know the data way better than you do.

I actually got into it last year with the guy who runs NBA Wowy because he said something to me like what you just said.

How you figure you know data way better than I do when I am a Data Analyst. :lol:

That is essentially what the NBA Wowy guy said to me. "How do you think you know the data better than I do when I run NBA Wowy?"

I answered him something to effect of this -- If I read all the books in the library, I know the books better than the librarians do even though they work there.

Nothing against you, my friend, but I worked my rear end off putting together and analyzing that data. Fast Break Points, Points In The Paint, everything. And then comparing it from game to game.

The turnaround started in Game 3 and there may have even been signs in Game 2.
** Luka made The Finals without Brunson
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,328

Post#57 » by JordansBulls » Fri May 26, 2017 3:58 am

dynamic duo wrote:Image

Jordan won 2 titles without a star player.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
Hindenburg
Head Coach
And1: 13,854

Post#58 » by Hindenburg » Fri May 26, 2017 3:59 am

My God, what's with this influx of LeBron = GOAT people on here? It's nauseating seeing 5 new threads on LeBron every hour.

Cool it. Quit trying so hard with this GOAT ****
GlenRiceARoni
Sixth Man
And1: 793

Re: RE: Re: Are the Finals the GOAT test for LeBron? 

Post#59 » by GlenRiceARoni » Fri May 26, 2017 4:00 am

JordansBulls wrote:
GlenRiceARoni wrote:I mean i think hes pretty clearly already surpassed jordan. Theres no way hes going to beat golden state so that's a pretty unfair comparison.

Theyd run jordan off the floor. It would destroy his entire facade

"Get Out the Way, Let the Real F. Ballas thru" - Juvenile

No he is not, get real otherwise why hasn't he 3 peated or why has he been down every single year of his career in a series at least 3-2 meaning never a postseason run where he is up pretty much the entire series in every round.

I dont know, what other silly hypotheticals can you come up with?

I just want to make sure you list all of them up front so i dont spend valuable time answering these only to have you rearrange the question later!

GlenRiceARoni
Sixth Man

Post#60 » by GlenRiceARoni » Fri May 26, 2017 4:03 am

Face it. If lebron played during the illegal defense era he'd likely be going for his TENTH CONSECUTIVE TITLE this season.

Thats incredible. Ten straight titles. Jordan only had 6 and they were not consecutive.

RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,996

Post#61 » by RCM88x » Fri May 26, 2017 4:03 am

I think winning this series puts him in a lock for #2 or possibly #1b depending on how well he plays and how the series unfolds.

He doesn't surpass Jordan though by just winning this series, unless he plays better than anyone ever has in the history of the game in a 4 game beat down of epic proportions, which has a 0.00001% chance of happening.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,017

Post#62 » by RaptorsLife » Fri May 26, 2017 4:03 am

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:The bulls without Jordan. Still made the playoffs and went to the ecf in 1 year.

You take lebron off any of his team they are dirt. Lebron effects every facent of the game.

No they didn't. They lost to the Knicks in the East semis.

The year prior, they were NBA champs.

I don't know why people keep talking as if the Bulls were basically the same team that season post Jordan.

Who cares what they did in the RS? They were nowhere near NBA contenders.

My bad they went to east semi twice.

55-27
47-35.

In 1994 they went 7 games against the Knicks . The same Knicks who went 7 games against the champions. They were close to finals contenders
Raptors til death
Bruh Man
Analyst
And1: 743

Post#63 » by Bruh Man » Fri May 26, 2017 4:04 am

HotRocks34 wrote:
Bruh Man wrote:
HotRocks34 wrote:
It's a positive because it ended up being a part of NBA history.

Its helps with narratives, but if Cavs would have won 4-2 without being behind in the series then it's not as historic because it's happened before but obviously it would be a better result.

But it's not a narrative. It's the only time it has occurred in NBA history. And it occurred against the team with the best regular season record in NBA history.

Regardless of anyone's agenda, those two things are facts (only time 3-1 down team won Finals; GSW best regular season record in history).

It was the crowning achievement in LeBron's career. It was the clincher.

It was great for his career but just for the fact he won and played well, not for coming back from being down 3-1. It doesn't make sense to prop him up even more for going down 3-1 in the first place. the less games you win a series in the more impressive, that is why the 01 Lakers are considered the greatest playoff team of all-time.

If Lebron wins this year he will move up but still wouldn't be GOAT.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#64 » by NyCeEvO » Fri May 26, 2017 4:05 am

Hindenburg wrote:My God, what's with this influx of LeBron = GOAT people on here? It's nauseating seeing 5 new threads on LeBron every hour.

I'm not saying that he isn't but the overwhelming majority of people are prisoners of the moment.

There's too much mudslinging back and forth for any true real critical analysis to take place.

It's sad but funny how so many people say that are for or against LBJ being the GOAT, only really consider a few variables, and then claim to have the "objective" point of view on the subject matter.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,574

Post#65 » by Pharaoh » Fri May 26, 2017 4:09 am

GlenRiceARoni wrote:Face it. If lebron played during the illegal defense era he'd likely be going for his TENTH CONSECUTIVE TITLE this season.

Thats incredible. Ten straight titles. Jordan only had 6 and they were not consecutive.

Sorry, I laughed at this!

IF your Mum had balls she'd be your Dad!

If Jordan played today!

If Jordan had Wade & Bosh

If LeBron had Pippen & Rodman

Jordan is the blueprint Lebron followed. Can't claim the follower is #1 - he's at best #2

Sent from my SM-J110F using RealGM mobile app
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,737

Post#66 » by TheGOATRises007 » Fri May 26, 2017 4:09 am

RaptorsLife wrote:
Eddy_JukeZ wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:The bulls without Jordan. Still made the playoffs and went to the ecf in 1 year.

You take lebron off any of his team they are dirt. Lebron effects every facent of the game.

I don't know why people keep talking as if the Bulls were basically the same team that season post Jordan.

55-27
47-35.

In 1994 they went 7 games against the Knicks . The same Knicks who went 7 games against the champions. They were close to finals contenders

No one thought they were and I doubt Bulls fans at the time though so as well.

And the 47-35 season was actually with Jordan returning for the stretch run.

I believe they were 31-31 at 1 point.
dreamshake
Starter
And1: 2,465

Post#67 » by dreamshake » Fri May 26, 2017 4:11 am

Pharaoh wrote:Then we assume if Jordan didn't retire to play baseball he'd lose to the Rockets at least once?

What evidence supports Jordan losing a Finals series to anyone?

Imagine LeBron retired to play football in 2014 & 2015. The champions those 2 years are the Spurs team that he just beat the year before he retired and the Warriors team he beat the year he returned. You think anyone would believe he wouldn't have won those 2 championships in between? You don't get credit for wins that might have happened.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#68 » by Pharaoh » Fri May 26, 2017 4:13 am

Hindenburg wrote:My God, what's with this influx of LeBron = GOAT people on here? It's nauseating seeing 5 new threads on LeBron every hour.

The fact that there's multiple threads all pushing for it shows he's not really worthy of it.

No one pushed for Jordan to bevthe GOAT - he made it happen on his own.

Different media now though - no one can appreciate what they're watching now without tearing down the past.

If memory serves fans back in the 80s and 90s didn't crap on the past legends to build new ones - but I guess we didn't have to

RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,996

Post#69 » by RCM88x » Fri May 26, 2017 4:15 am

Pharaoh wrote:

The fact that there's multiple threads all pushing for it shows he's not really worthy of it.

No one pushed for Jordan to bevthe GOAT - he made it happen on his own.

Different media now though - no one can appreciate what they're watching now without tearing down the past.

If memory serves fans back in the 80s and 90s didn't crap on the past legends to build new ones - but I guess we didn't have to

Did you watch the broadcast today? All they talked about was how many fewer games it took Jordan to hit his career scoring mark than Lebron, and how much better the Celtics were in his time than they were this season. They couldn't get over the past, Miller and Webber called Jordan the GOAT like 25 times in the broadcast.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 18,562

Post#70 » by HotRocks34 » Fri May 26, 2017 4:18 am

JordansBulls wrote:
HotRocks34 wrote:
JordansBulls wrote:Was there starting center there? Not to mention wasn't Iggy playing with back spasms as well? Imagine a starter on the 2013 Heat out in game 7 do they beat the Spurs at home in game 7?

The turnaround for the Cavs against the Warriors started before Bogut got hurt and before Green got suspended. I know this because I analyzed all the data and posted about it last year after The FInals.

Also, Bogut got hurt early in Game 5, did he not? So if Bogut getting hurt was a key factor, then I guess Green being suspended or not doesn't affect the outcome of Game 5 no matter what.

The contortions people go through on this subject are amazing.

No it didn't because CAvs lost game 4. Draymond got suspended for game 5. Not to mention that one thing triggers another. With Draymond there, Bogut probably doesn't get injured. Not to mention we are talking about a tied game at the half in game 5 with no Draymond and then Bogut goes down, so now Warriors have absolutely no inside presence at all.

Ok, here's the thread I made on the subject. Pretty sure this is it but I need to look it over a bit more to make sure. If it is not "the" thread I made on the subject, it is certainly related to that thread.

"Golden State's Secret Weakness -- High Pace In The Playoffs"
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1471360

Part of what showed up in the research/analysis I did had to do with pace/points in the paint/fastbreak points. And the Cavs started to exploit the Warriors in that zone of things (Pace/FBP/PIP) before Bogut got hurt or Green was suspended. This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. Additionally, Ty Lue mentioned this (pace in particular, and FBP) at the time. As in, he knew that in order for the Cavs to beat the Warriors they had to pick up the pace and get more FBP. Lue and his staff understood, at the time, what I was picking up when looking at the data in hindsight.

The Cavs did those things, and they were huge parts of why they won the series. I believe the turnaround started in Game 3.

Game 4 was the "aberration" game of the last 5 games of the series and my guess is that it was because the Cavs only had one day of rest and gameplanning as compared with every other game in the series (two days off). But even in that game (Game 4), the stats trends I found still held up, I'm pretty sure.

You know as a data analyst that if you do enough data analysis, it's like forensically 'solving' a crime. I also do a lot of data analysis and there comes a time in a project where you know you have figured out what happened or is going to happen.

I reached that point after going through the data for the 2016 Finals. The Cavs were the better team, and would have won under any circumstances. At least based upon the coaching of both teams at the time and based upon whatever level Curry was at coming into the series.
** Luka made The Finals without Brunson
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs with Klay
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,017

Post#71 » by RaptorsLife » Fri May 26, 2017 4:20 am

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:
Eddy_JukeZ wrote:

55-27
47-35.

No one thought they were and I doubt Bulls fans at the time though so as well.

And the 47-35 season was actually with Jordan returning for the stretch run.

I believe they were 31-31 at 1 point.

If they beat the Knicks in game 7. You don't think they beat the pacers in ecf? Scottie would have locked Reggie miller ass down

Bulls were 34-32 before returned and went 13-3 to finish the season

Mj was the difference between bulls being the 5th instead of 6th seed

6th seed cavs were 43-39
Raptors til death
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#72 » by Pharaoh » Fri May 26, 2017 4:21 am

dreamshake wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:Then we assume if Jordan didn't retire to play baseball he'd lose to the Rockets at least once?

What evidence supports Jordan losing a Finals series to anyone?

Imagine LeBron retired to play football in 2014 & 2015. The champions those 2 years are the Spurs team that he just beat the year before he retired and the Warriors team he beat the year he returned. You think anyone would believe he wouldn't have won those 2 championships in between? You don't get credit for wins that might have happened.

If Lebron did that there would be 10 threads on here right now talking about how he would have both those series in the Finals dude!

You got 5-10 threads now calling him the GOAT!

Lebron fans trying to make a case means he's not #1 - if he was #1 then you wouldn't have 5-10 threads on it - it would be generally accepted as fact and people would move on

Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 16,121

Post#73 » by Patches Perry » Fri May 26, 2017 4:23 am

I'd also point out that if LeBron were to somehow pull this out, and Cavs/Warriors met again in the finals next year, people would then call that the true GOAT test. LeBron will probably be up against 70 win caliber teams until he retires. There's no end to that cycle.

Truth is, LeBron is 32 and is building slowly. I know everyone is excited for the finals, but 1-2 weeks doesn't shake the needle that much in the grand scheme barring monumental collapse or monumental triumph. Body of work is what matters.
Wonderllama
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,401

Post#74 » by Wonderllama » Fri May 26, 2017 4:25 am

If Lebron beats this Warriors team, not only would it be semi-miraculous but it would also mean he's not done winning titles. He's definitely the greatest if that happens.
GlenRiceARoni
Sixth Man

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Are the Finals the GOAT test for LeBron? 

Post#75 » by GlenRiceARoni » Fri May 26, 2017 4:30 am

Pharaoh wrote:
GlenRiceARoni wrote:Face it. If lebron played during the illegal defense era he'd likely be going for his TENTH CONSECUTIVE TITLE this season.

Sorry, I laughed at this!

IF your Mum had balls she'd be your Dad!

If Jordan played today!

If Jordan had Wade & Bosh

If LeBron had Pippen & Rodman

Jordan is the blueprint Lebron followed. Can't claim the follower is #1 - he's at best #2

Its worth noting though. If lebron got the benefit of man to man defense he probably wins ten straight titles since hes so unguardable.

Likewise, jordan struggles to win a title in this era since he struggles to shoot against the zone and teams are able to defend him relatively easily.

I just think its important to consider all the critical elements at play before you say things like "Jordan won 6 titles therefore hes the best" without context.

Return to The General Board