Did Wilt Chamberlain use PEDs?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Did Wilt Chamberlain use PEDs @ any point during his NBA, High jumping or Volleyball career?

Of course
28%
No
72%

Total votes: 18

MassDaIllest
Junior
And1: 17

Did Wilt Chamberlain use PEDs? 

Post#1 » by MassDaIllest » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:13 pm

Lebron James: Averaged 17ppg on 35% shooting w/ Home Court Advantage in the Finals...And Lost.

Not on the same PLANET as MJ.
dan_atko97
Lead Assistant
And1: 287

Re: Did Wilt Chamberlain use PEDs? 

Post#2 » by dan_atko97 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:18 pm

though i am too young to know, or have even seen him play live, no. from what i have seen, read and heard he was an absolute athletic beast growing up as a kid and when he came into the league.
Beard
Sixth Man
And1: 28

Post#3 » by Beard » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:22 pm

like dan says, he was a physical anomaly from a very young age. of course we could never know for sure with any player, but i really don't think so in wilt's case.
MassDaIllest
Junior

Post#4 » by MassDaIllest » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:30 pm

My uncle Flip Walker (RIP) was good buddies growing up w/ him.. he also hung out w/ him a lot while he was playing for philly...

He said wilt was being modest about sleeping w/ 10,000 women... It was more like 60,000 my uncle said..

he also said he used to dope up a lot w/ a lot of stuff growing up before the NBA, and while he was in the league when he was around but he always passed if off as drugs to get you high even though he never used to have a typical high reaction to it..

but Im sure he was on some type of PED's.. to have sex w/ that many women...
Lebron James: Averaged 17ppg on 35% shooting w/ Home Court Advantage in the Finals...And Lost.

Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#5 » by Johnlac1 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:31 pm

I've read three bios of Wilt, and I doubt he took any drugs. Not much for drinking either. Just a physical phenomenon. He probably took medicine for his pancreas that caused him to miss most of the 1964-65 season, but that's about it for drugs.
Masigond
Sixth Man
And1: 574

Post#6 » by Masigond » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:33 pm

MassDaIllest wrote:He said wilt was being modest about sleeping w/ 10,000... It was more like 60,000 my uncle said..

Sure... 60,000 means at least three women per day. Every day from the age of 18 till his death at the age of 55...
MassDaIllest
Junior

Post#7 » by MassDaIllest » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:34 pm

Johnlac1 wrote:I've read three bios of Wilt, and I doubt he took any drugs. Not much for drinking either. Just a physical phenomenon. He probably took medicine for his pancreas that caused him to miss most of the 1964-65 season, but that's about it for drugs.

Ive read bios of many athletes, including guys who have doped up, but the bios never mentioned them....

MassDaIllest
Junior

Post#8 » by MassDaIllest » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:37 pm

Masigond wrote:
MassDaIllest wrote:He said wilt was being modest about sleeping w/ 10,000... It was more like 60,000 my uncle said..

Sure... 60,000 means at least three women per day. Every day from the age of 18 till his death at the age of 55...

lol he was definitely "the stilt".

tdotrep2
RealGM
And1: 25,470

Post#9 » by tdotrep2 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:39 pm

I would like to ask how any of us would know if mr.cham took anything. Your best guess would be d wade and even then no one could be more than 50 percent sure.
D.Brasco
General Manager
And1: 9,472

Post#10 » by D.Brasco » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:42 pm

This threads a joke and you know it OP. You're a jordan fan who got butthurt about the jordan ped thread. Using your own arguments from the jordan thread it's obvious you only started this out of spite.

MassDaIllest wrote:This is probably the weirdest poll question w/tthe weirdest results.....

It asks if michael jordan used PEDS in his basketball and baseball career...

without any proof, 53?% of the people that voted said yes....

1 of the most notable excuse I have seen in here many time is:

"Of COURSE he used PED's.. He's the greatest basketball player ever, head and shoulders above the rest... theres no doubt he used them."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
MassDaIllest
Junior

Post#11 » by MassDaIllest » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:48 pm

D.Brasco wrote:This threads a joke and you know it OP. You're a jordan fan who got butthurt about the jordan ped thread. Using your own arguments from the jordan thread it's obvious you only started this out of spite.

MassDaIllest wrote:This is probably the weirdest poll question w/tthe weirdest results.....

"Of COURSE he used PED's.. He's the greatest basketball player ever, head and shoulders above the rest... theres no doubt he used them."

I knew someone was going to state this.

the motivation of this thread was my uncle (RIP) witnessing it. so I wanted to know if anyone else has heard stories.

Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,773

Post#12 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:49 pm

All they had back in Wilt's day where horse steroids, you would be able to see it, it's not like today.
druggas
Head Coach
And1: 5,177

Post#13 » by druggas » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:53 pm

D.Brasco wrote:This threads a joke and you know it OP. You're a jordan fan who got butthurt about the jordan ped thread. Using your own arguments from the jordan thread it's obvious you only started this out of spite.

Troll thread.
Quinarvy
Bench Warmer
And1: 134

Post#14 » by Quinarvy » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:56 pm

He wasn't legit enough to use PEDs before Father Time claimed him.
D-ROSE. BIGGER. STRONGER. FASTER THAN YOU CHRIS PAUL.

- Stacey King
90sAllDecade
Starter
And1: 795

Post#15 » by 90sAllDecade » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:13 pm

Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:All they had back in Wilt's day where horse steroids, you would be able to see it, it's not like today.

This is an obvious joke thread, but you do make an interesting comment.

I always wondered if Wilt took steroids. How could an incredible natural athlete who ran marathons after retiring, die early at age 63 from heart problems?

He also was said (you always doubt word of mouth claims about Wilt though) to still bench 400 lbs in his very late years (I think you naturally start losing muscle in your forties) and was one of the first NBA weight lifters. World class athletes had access to steroids back then and I don't remember how early in his career he lifted with bodybuilders, who were known to use steroids.

IRCC I don't think the NBA formally drug tested until 83' at all.

I was curious what were the signs back then that helped you tell which guys used steroids (long term or briefly)?
NBA TV Clutch City Documentary Trailer:
https://vimeo.com/134215151
Ozark
Pro Prospect
And1: 219

Post#16 » by Ozark » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:16 pm

90sAllDecade wrote:
Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:All they had back in Wilt's day where horse steroids, you would be able to see it, it's not like today.

This is an obvious joke thread, but you do make an interesting comment.

I always wondered if Wilt took steroids. How could an incredible natural athlete who ran marathons after retiring, die early at age 63 from heart problems?

He also was said (you always doubt word of mouth claims about Wilt though) to still bench 400 lbs in his very late years (I think you naturally start losing muscle in your forties) and was one of the first NBA weight lifters. World class athletes had access to steroids back then and I don't remember how early in his career he lifted with bodybuilders, who were known to use steroids.

IRCC I don't think the NBA formally drug tested until 83' at all.

I was curious what were the signs back then that helped you tell which guys used steroids (long term or briefly)?

I tend to get the impression that very tall guys don't tend to live very long, with a few rare exceptions. Besides, some guys drop dead of a heart attack at 40 despite being distance runners, don't think it had to do with PEDs.

Anabolic PEDs came on the scene in the mid 50's so it is theoretically possible, but unlikely, they were mostly limited to weightlifting and body building at that point. Most b-ball players were skinny stick men until some time in the mid-80's so that's probably when it hit.

Wilt was most likely a freak.

Regarding MJ, his physique looked like a pretty natural progression for an adult male to me, but of course that doesn't rule out non-anabolic performance enhancers, don't think we'll ever know really.
revvolutions
Starter
And1: 1,270

Post#17 » by revvolutions » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:20 pm

he knew schwarzenegger right?
[img]http://i57.tinypic.com/bfj4f4.png[/im2g]
Ozark
Pro Prospect

Post#18 » by Ozark » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:35 pm

Wilt wouldn't have known Arnie until very late in his playing career anyway.

Also, if you look at life expectancy of African American males of Wilt's generation, 63 isn't really abnormal at all.
Noodle Arm
Rookie
And1: 1,072

Post#19 » by Noodle Arm » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:41 pm

Did James Naismith use PED's?
Ozark
Pro Prospect

Post#20 » by Ozark » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:43 pm

Noodle Arm wrote:Did James Naismith use PED's?

If he drank coca-cola during that era, then yes, yes he did.

Return to The General Board