ImageImageImageImageImage

Jimmy Butler Showed Interest in Clippers; Traded To Philadelphia

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Should the Clippers pursue Jimmy Butler? (Check all that you agree with)

Poll ended at Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:47 am

Wait until the offseason and sign as a FA ($139.3M / 4yrs)
11%
Trade for him now and re-sign in offseason ($187.9M / 5yrs)
4%
Avoid him at all costs (Age, Injury and Chemistry concerns)
7%
Are you willing to part willing to part with Harris?
11%
Are you willing to part with Robinson?
14%
Are you willing to part with Gilgeous-Alexander?
7%
Are you willing to part with Williams?
21%
Are you willing to take on Dieng in a package deal with Butler?
4%
Jimmy Butler is worth the max
4%
Jimmy Butler is worth 90% of the max ($169.1M / 5yrs or $125.4 / 4yrs)
18%

Total votes: 28

illastrate
Starter
And1: 629

Jimmy Butler Showed Interest in Clippers; Traded To Philadelphia 

Post#1 » by illastrate » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:46 pm

Read on Twitter

Looking at tradeable pieces, Clips may have the most to offer, no? We know Knicks aren't trading Porzingis and Nets have no stars.
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,640

Jimmy Butler 

Post#2 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:47 pm

I hope we don’t.

Final year of his deal. Gonna want a big pay day with his run into the ground body.

#KeepOurPick

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Re: Jimmy Butler 

Post#3 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:54 pm

- 29 years old, turning 30 soon
- Injury-prone
- Doesn't show up in the playoffs
- Horrible attitude, has started drama with teammates in both Chicago and Minnesota
- We'll still have to overpay him next summer even if we trade for him now

I genuinely don't see any upside to trading for Butler at all. Hopefully our front office is smart enough to not get involved.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#4 » by esqtvd » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:59 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:- Horrible attitude, has started drama with teammates in both Chicago and Minnesota

ask Lee Jenkins
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Refreshing Yet Not Entirely Exciting 

Post#5 » by Ranma » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:12 pm

Read on Twitter

TrueLAfan wrote:With Butler, I start with the basics. We'd have to resign him and he wants the max. He doesn’t deserve the max. When he’s on the court, he’s probably a borderline max player. But he’s averaged missing over 15 games a year for the last four years and he'll be 30 when his next contract starts. He’s played over 67 games as a starter once in his career. Is Butler better when he’s on the court than, say DeMar DeRozan? Maybe. Probably. Does it hurt his value that he misses a lot more games. Oh, hell yeah.

I’m okay with a player who has an anomaly injured year. But I’m leery of guys who always seem to miss 15 to 20 games—and when that can extend into the playoffs.

Ranma wrote:Agreed. This is why I said I wasn't necessarily arguing in favor of pursuing Butler in the Around the NBA thread given the current speculation to his possible availability this off-season.

If we could deal Gallo for him straight up, it may be worth it just to get out of the commitment to pay Gallinari for future years. Butler is not a max player as I mentioned previously that I only consider the following players to currently be worth pursuing for a full max commitment:

1. LeBron James
  2. Kevin Durant
  3. Anthony Davis
  4. Giannis Antetokounmpo
  5. Kawhi Leonard

Kawhi is borderline due to question marks about his health and mental state, but given the scarcity of such players and the Clippers' unwillingness to go full rebuild in terms of "tanking", he'd be a worthy pursuit given our more limited options.

With talk of the Lakers' possibly preferring to pursue Klay Thompson over Leonard, it may provide us with an opportunity to pair Leonard with another star player in Butler to contend or even possibly convince another star player like Durant to jump onto our bandwagon.

I still don't think Butler is worthy of a maximum commitment but as a short-term acquisition, he may be worth pursuing in trade depending on the price.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,302

Post#6 » by Dynamix » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:13 pm

Not desperate to have him for the same reasons stated above, but I'd be fine with any reasonable trade that doesn't involve either of our rookies, Tobias, or Trez.
Akklaim1
Rookie
And1: 821

Post#7 » by Akklaim1 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:51 pm

]Tobias and Boban cannot be separated
Ranma
RealGM

Thibs Playing Hardball 

Post#8 » by Ranma » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:42 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Lining Up Dominos 

Post#9 » by Ranma » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:59 pm

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I'm not giving much weight at all to wannabe insider Brandon "Scoop B" Robinson's so-called reporting no matter how many random appearances he may or may not have made on major media outlets given the current state of deterioration in our news outlets, but his speculation lines up with my thinking of Durant jumping on another bandwagon. The problem is that if Durant jumps ship at the same time, Klay will likely stay in Golden State since the Warriors would then be more inclined to offer Mychal's son a max contract.

In any case, being competitive and positioning the Clippers as the team of the future while having the Lakers hopefully be the team of the past celebrating their history with LeBron on a retirement tour would be crucial to giving the Clips the advantage with premier free agents worthy of a max contract whether it's Durant, the Brow, Giannis, or the Klaw. However, if we fail to be competitive and the Lakers start contending again, it would prove to be a challenging endeavor.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,187

Re: Jimmy Butler requests trade to Clippers, Knicks or Nets! 

Post#10 » by MartinToVaught » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:18 pm

I agree that positioning ourselves as the team of the future is the best bet. But Jimmy Butler isn't the player of the future. He's pushing 30, injury-prone and not a franchise guy to begin with.
Ranma
RealGM

Dealing with Butler 

Post#11 » by Ranma » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:02 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:I agree that positioning ourselves as the team of the future is the best bet. But Jimmy Butler isn't the player of the future. He's pushing 30, injury-prone and not a franchise guy to begin with.

As you can see from my previous posts, I agree with you on that. I've always been a fan of Butler's since his draft year, but I didn't list him among my worthy full-max pursuits for reasons, which included those outlined by TrueLAfan.

I think the general consensus on this forum is that Butler is not a max player even if he may be viewed as such by the NBA populace. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that he wouldn't be a worthwhile trade target, especially if we can acquire his expiring deal for Gallinari's multi-year commitment straight up. Personally, I doubt a team like New York won't be able to beat that offer, however, the Knicks have gone on record as to not being inclined to give up valuable assets in order to trade for a player whom they can sign outright in the near future a la the Lakers with Paul George.

Even if we can't pull off such a deal, there's a decent argument to be made in favor of acquiring Butler either through signing or trade and giving him a max deal in order to attract other premier free agents and then possibly trading him later on for assets via another Blake Griffin special. I'm not as comfortable with that approach but I can see the benefit of rolling the dice in that direction.

However, as I've stated previously, my end game is to acquire at least 2 of the 5 players who are undoubtedly worth a full max commitment. Even Bill Simmons sees another one of those becoming available sooner rather than later. Who knows? Maybe Butler could be part of a package that brought back an Anthony Davis or Giannis Antetokounmpo.

Read on Twitter
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#12 » by Galloisdaman » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:10 pm

Strange 3 team selection. Why would a guy pick 3 teams that were not in the playoffs? Does he only care about $$$?

Usually guys his age want a good chance at winning.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
Ranma
RealGM

The Ringer Chimes In 

Post#13 » by Ranma » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:11 pm

Read on Twitter
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#14 » by TheNewEra » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:12 pm

I’m all for it if Gallonari is sent out and it helps draw another max guy.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#15 » by TheNewEra » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:14 pm

Thankfully this should be resolved soon
Ranma
RealGM

Bontemps Apparently Disagrees with Simmons 

Post#16 » by Ranma » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:24 pm

Ranma wrote:Even Bill Simmons sees another one of those becoming available sooner rather than later.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#17 » by mkwest » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:48 pm

Galloisdaman wrote:Strange 3 team selection. Why would a guy pick 3 teams that were not in the playoffs? Does he only care about $$$?

Usually guys his age want a good chance at winning.

Big markets and the possibility of teaming up with Irving in NY/BK or Leonard here next season.
JayClips92
Junior
And1: 147

Post#18 » by JayClips92 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:49 pm

I'd trade Gallo, Evans and a future 2nd round pick.
Clippers first pre season game vs the twolves on 10/3... interested to see if he's traded by then
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#19 » by bondom34 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:18 am

Read on Twitter
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
mttwlsn16
Head Coach
And1: 1,983

Post#20 » by mttwlsn16 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:25 am

Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
Minnesota's Jimmy Butler is most determined to find a way to the Los Angeles Clippers, league sources tell ESPN. The appeal of partnering with a second star - the Clippers have two max contract slots available in summer free agency - is an intriguing scenario for him.
8:16 PM · Sep 19, 2018

Make. It. Happen!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Return to Los Angeles Clippers