ImageImageImageImage

Gortat will not play this year

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,060

Post#21 » by Optimus_Steel » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:30 pm

Why wont they send him to an extended stay in the D-league?
aka: prorl
magicmamma
Assistant Coach
And1: 30

Post#22 » by magicmamma » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:05 pm

prorl wrote:Why wont they send him to an extended stay in the D-league?

Because they think he will learn more practicing with the team than playing against weaker players in D-League. After all, he played in Europe, and that didn't prepare him adequately for the NBA. As he said, he gets to practice with the best center in the NBA every day. We also have a pretty good big man coach. The rapid improvement of Brian Cook shows that one can learn a lot not playing for the Magic.
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,430

Post#23 » by DiplomaticMagic » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:06 pm

I don't know why..Gortat always outplayed Auggie in summer league. I guess it's that 1 year of playing the bench.
Stop playing Fultz
Play AB and Goga
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#24 » by drsd » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:08 pm

prorl wrote:Why wont they send him to an extended stay in the D-league?

Because if so then the Magic would just have left Gortat in K
Gerhalt11
Assistant Coach
And1: 827

Post#25 » by Gerhalt11 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:17 pm

magicmamma wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Because they think he will learn more practicing with the team than playing against weaker players in D-League. After all, he played in Europe, and that didn't prepare him adequately for the NBA. As he said, he gets to practice with the best center in the NBA every day. We also have a pretty good big man coach. The rapid improvement of Brian Cook shows that one can learn a lot not playing for the Magic.

You have to wonder how much time Ewing is spending with Magic big men not named Dwight, though.
magicmamma
Assistant Coach
And1: 30

Post#26 » by magicmamma » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:30 pm

Gerhalt11 wrote: You have to wonder how much time Ewing is spending with Magic big men not named Dwight, though.

Even if he worked exclusively with Dwight, Dwight's got to be playing against somebody, and he has to tell those somebodies what to do. I've not been to practice, but I assume that his primary duty is Dwight, but that is less than a full-time job.
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,528

Post#27 » by Furinkazan » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:31 pm

magicmamma wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Well Gortat started his journey with basketbal a lil late Id say >> 17-18 year old so everywhere he played he was kinda raw and he was still learning basics....
This few years in europe coudnt prepare him for the NBA..thats why I never belived he will make it to the roster.
Toyman7777
Junior
And1: 1

Post#28 » by Toyman7777 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:32 pm

sorry, I disagree with some of you. I like Foyle as much as anyone, but if you played gortat the same minutes adonal got he could get the same rebounds and stats. I feel certain of it. Now he would probably get into foul trouble quicker, but that can only be corrected from learning from actual playing time. and Auggie is a scrub, SO if Gortat is more of a scrub than that, he should not be on the roster.

and to the one poster, I say scrub in the everything is relative way. I am not comparing me to him. I am comparing him to everyone else in the NBA.

Just my two cents
Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#29 » by mhectorgato » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:52 pm

Toyman7777 wrote:sorry, I disagree with some of you. I like Foyle as much as anyone, but if you played gortat the same minutes adonal got he could get the same rebounds and stats. I feel certain of it. Now he would probably get into foul trouble quicker, but that can only be corrected from learning from actual playing time. and Auggie is a scrub, SO if Gortat is more of a scrub than that, he should not be on the roster.

and to the one poster, I say scrub in the everything is relative way. I am not comparing me to him. I am comparing him to everyone else in the NBA.

Just my two cents

What have you seen of Gortat to make you "certain" that he could provide the production of what a tested, crafty and respected vet does?
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
And1: 2,430

Post#30 » by DiplomaticMagic » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:54 pm

I saw Ewing work with Gortat duing warm-ups vs. Houston.
Stop playing Fultz
Play AB and Goga
drsd
RealGM

Post#31 » by drsd » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:56 pm

Toyman7777 wrote:sorry, I disagree with some of you. I like Foyle as much as anyone, but if you played gortat the same minutes adonal got he could get the same rebounds and stats. I feel certain of it. Now he would probably get into foul trouble quicker, but that can only be corrected from learning from actual playing time. and Auggie is a scrub, SO if Gortat is more of a scrub than that, he should not be on the roster.

Just my two cents

Gortat might have similar rebounding stats; but his guarded opponent would shoot 65%+ and average 10+ more. That's a losing formula.
Toyman7777
Junior

Post#32 » by Toyman7777 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:34 pm

drsd wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Gortat might have similar rebounding stats; but his guarded opponent would shoot 65%+ and average 10+ more. That's a losing formula.

thats ridiculous, you have no support for that claim
mhectorgato
RealGM

Post#33 » by mhectorgato » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:36 pm

Toyman7777 wrote:thats ridiculous, you have no support for that claim

What support do you have Gortat to make you "certain" that he could provide the production of what a tested, crafty and respected vet does?
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
Toyman7777
Junior

Post#34 » by Toyman7777 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:39 pm

mhectorgato wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

What have you seen of Gortat to make you "certain" that he could provide the production of what a tested, crafty and respected vet does?

foyle had 0 points 3 rebs, in 7 minutes. If the 6'11" gortat could not duplicate that in 7 minutes than he should not be in the league, I am sorry it's just the way I feel.
Toyman7777
Junior

Post#35 » by Toyman7777 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:42 pm

Look, I am not saying the guy is great or even good, hell I dont even know. All I am saying is why have a healthy guy on the roster that is told for sure he wont play this year, thats all.
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 559

Post#36 » by TheGlyde » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:45 pm

Toyman7777 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

foyle had 0 points 3 rebs, in 7 minutes. If the 6'11" gortat could not duplicate that in 7 minutes than he should not be in the league, I am sorry it's just the way I feel.

Hence, he isn't going to play this year because he wouldn't be able to match that, and as drsd said, in the 7mins even if he could grab 3rebs, he would not have played D anywhere close to Foyle, if he's in foul trouble in D-League he might foul out in 7mins but thats about it.

He's on our roster because a) we don't have more than the min to grab anyone else, b) not much better out there for the min so may as well keep him around and c) he is very raw and hasn't been playing long and one day may be able to contribute.
Orlando Magic Historian

Magic Player History on Instagram

Also on Twitter & Youtube
mhectorgato
RealGM

Post#37 » by mhectorgato » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:45 pm

Toyman7777 wrote:foyle had 0 points 3 rebs, in 7 minutes. If the 6'11" gortat could not duplicate that in 7 minutes than he should not be in the league, I am sorry it's just the way I feel.

Foyle is a role player for us. He provides energy and defense when Dwight is resting. To view him with just stats in mind is just plain ridiculous with no support.

Why are you "certain" that Gortat could do better against one of the best East Conf. team for several seasons running?
drsd
RealGM

Post#38 » by drsd » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:21 pm

(Foyle is one of the 100 best bigs in the world; Gortat should not be compared here)

Let's go back to positives. Gortat is extremely active. He has a nose for the offensive boards. And he has an OK 5-10 foot jumper. Add some fundamentals for team defense, and the kid has a real shot!

Most importantly, Marcin Gortat is very coach friendly. He is a listener who does what he can to do what he's told. That's an emotional value many in the NBA seem to lack. Gortat can get better, and he will get better.

Long term, my hope is that Marcin Gortat brings what Bo Outlaw brought. Energy, heart, rug burns, and a tough match against Howard in the practice squad.

Return to Orlando Magic