ImageImageImageImage

Gortat will not play this year

Moderators: Knightro, SOUL, Def Swami, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, UCF, ChosenSavior

Optimus_Steel
RealGM
Posts: 31,541
And1: 7,463
Joined: Sep 16, 2003
Location: Winter Garden, FL
   

 

Post#21 » by Optimus_Steel » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:30 pm

Why wont they send him to an extended stay in the D-league?
aka: prorl
User avatar
magicmamma
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,250
And1: 30
Joined: Feb 01, 2006
 

 

Post#22 » by magicmamma » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:05 pm

prorl wrote:Why wont they send him to an extended stay in the D-league?


Because they think he will learn more practicing with the team than playing against weaker players in D-League. After all, he played in Europe, and that didn't prepare him adequately for the NBA. As he said, he gets to practice with the best center in the NBA every day. We also have a pretty good big man coach. The rapid improvement of Brian Cook shows that one can learn a lot not playing for the Magic.
User avatar
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
Posts: 6,196
And1: 1,678
Joined: Jan 11, 2007
   

 

Post#23 » by DiplomaticMagic » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:06 pm

I don't know why..Gortat always outplayed Auggie in summer league. I guess it's that 1 year of playing the bench.
Don't trade AG
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 27,155
And1: 4,162
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

 

Post#24 » by drsd » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:08 pm

prorl wrote:Why wont they send him to an extended stay in the D-league?


Because if so then the Magic would just have left Gortat in K
Gerhalt11
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,883
And1: 827
Joined: Dec 04, 2004
     

 

Post#25 » by Gerhalt11 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:17 pm

magicmamma wrote:-= original quote snipped =-



Because they think he will learn more practicing with the team than playing against weaker players in D-League. After all, he played in Europe, and that didn't prepare him adequately for the NBA. As he said, he gets to practice with the best center in the NBA every day. We also have a pretty good big man coach. The rapid improvement of Brian Cook shows that one can learn a lot not playing for the Magic.


You have to wonder how much time Ewing is spending with Magic big men not named Dwight, though.
User avatar
magicmamma
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,250
And1: 30
Joined: Feb 01, 2006
 

 

Post#26 » by magicmamma » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:30 pm

Gerhalt11 wrote: You have to wonder how much time Ewing is spending with Magic big men not named Dwight, though.


Even if he worked exclusively with Dwight, Dwight's got to be playing against somebody, and he has to tell those somebodies what to do. I've not been to practice, but I assume that his primary duty is Dwight, but that is less than a full-time job.
User avatar
Furinkazan
Head Coach
Posts: 6,998
And1: 3,012
Joined: May 11, 2005
       

 

Post#27 » by Furinkazan » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:31 pm

magicmamma wrote:-= original quote snipped =-



Because they think he will learn more practicing with the team than playing against weaker players in D-League. After all, he played in Europe, and that didn't prepare him adequately for the NBA. As he said, he gets to practice with the best center in the NBA every day. We also have a pretty good big man coach. The rapid improvement of Brian Cook shows that one can learn a lot not playing for the Magic.


Well Gortat started his journey with basketbal a lil late Id say >> 17-18 year old so everywhere he played he was kinda raw and he was still learning basics....
This few years in europe coudnt prepare him for the NBA..thats why I never belived he will make it to the roster.
Toyman7777
Junior
Posts: 272
And1: 1
Joined: Jun 04, 2003

 

Post#28 » by Toyman7777 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:32 pm

sorry, I disagree with some of you. I like Foyle as much as anyone, but if you played gortat the same minutes adonal got he could get the same rebounds and stats. I feel certain of it. Now he would probably get into foul trouble quicker, but that can only be corrected from learning from actual playing time. and Auggie is a scrub, SO if Gortat is more of a scrub than that, he should not be on the roster.

and to the one poster, I say scrub in the everything is relative way. I am not comparing me to him. I am comparing him to everyone else in the NBA.


Just my two cents
Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
User avatar
mhectorgato
RealGM
Posts: 29,446
And1: 574
Joined: Jan 11, 2005
Location: Finals Baby!
 

 

Post#29 » by mhectorgato » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:52 pm

Toyman7777 wrote:sorry, I disagree with some of you. I like Foyle as much as anyone, but if you played gortat the same minutes adonal got he could get the same rebounds and stats. I feel certain of it. Now he would probably get into foul trouble quicker, but that can only be corrected from learning from actual playing time. and Auggie is a scrub, SO if Gortat is more of a scrub than that, he should not be on the roster.

and to the one poster, I say scrub in the everything is relative way. I am not comparing me to him. I am comparing him to everyone else in the NBA.


Just my two cents


What have you seen of Gortat to make you "certain" that he could provide the production of what a tested, crafty and respected vet does?
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
User avatar
DiplomaticMagic
Head Coach
Posts: 6,196
And1: 1,678
Joined: Jan 11, 2007
   

 

Post#30 » by DiplomaticMagic » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:54 pm

I saw Ewing work with Gortat duing warm-ups vs. Houston.
Don't trade AG
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 27,155
And1: 4,162
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

 

Post#31 » by drsd » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:56 pm

Toyman7777 wrote:sorry, I disagree with some of you. I like Foyle as much as anyone, but if you played gortat the same minutes adonal got he could get the same rebounds and stats. I feel certain of it. Now he would probably get into foul trouble quicker, but that can only be corrected from learning from actual playing time. and Auggie is a scrub, SO if Gortat is more of a scrub than that, he should not be on the roster.

and to the one poster, I say scrub in the everything is relative way. I am not comparing me to him. I am comparing him to everyone else in the NBA.


Just my two cents



Gortat might have similar rebounding stats; but his guarded opponent would shoot 65%+ and average 10+ more. That's a losing formula.
Toyman7777
Junior
Posts: 272
And1: 1
Joined: Jun 04, 2003

 

Post#32 » by Toyman7777 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:34 pm

drsd wrote:-= original quote snipped =-




Gortat might have similar rebounding stats; but his guarded opponent would shoot 65%+ and average 10+ more. That's a losing formula.



thats ridiculous, you have no support for that claim
Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
User avatar
mhectorgato
RealGM
Posts: 29,446
And1: 574
Joined: Jan 11, 2005
Location: Finals Baby!
 

 

Post#33 » by mhectorgato » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:36 pm

Toyman7777 wrote:thats ridiculous, you have no support for that claim


What support do you have Gortat to make you "certain" that he could provide the production of what a tested, crafty and respected vet does?
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
Toyman7777
Junior
Posts: 272
And1: 1
Joined: Jun 04, 2003

 

Post#34 » by Toyman7777 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:39 pm

mhectorgato wrote:-= original quote snipped =-



What have you seen of Gortat to make you "certain" that he could provide the production of what a tested, crafty and respected vet does?


foyle had 0 points 3 rebs, in 7 minutes. If the 6'11" gortat could not duplicate that in 7 minutes than he should not be in the league, I am sorry it's just the way I feel.
Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
Toyman7777
Junior
Posts: 272
And1: 1
Joined: Jun 04, 2003

 

Post#35 » by Toyman7777 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:42 pm

Look, I am not saying the guy is great or even good, hell I dont even know. All I am saying is why have a healthy guy on the roster that is told for sure he wont play this year, thats all.
Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
User avatar
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 12,327
And1: 98
Joined: Mar 01, 2005
Location: Retire #25!
 

 

Post#36 » by TheGlyde » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:45 pm

Toyman7777 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-



foyle had 0 points 3 rebs, in 7 minutes. If the 6'11" gortat could not duplicate that in 7 minutes than he should not be in the league, I am sorry it's just the way I feel.


Hence, he isn't going to play this year because he wouldn't be able to match that, and as drsd said, in the 7mins even if he could grab 3rebs, he would not have played D anywhere close to Foyle, if he's in foul trouble in D-League he might foul out in 7mins but thats about it.

He's on our roster because a) we don't have more than the min to grab anyone else, b) not much better out there for the min so may as well keep him around and c) he is very raw and hasn't been playing long and one day may be able to contribute.
Orlando Magic Historian
User avatar
mhectorgato
RealGM
Posts: 29,446
And1: 574
Joined: Jan 11, 2005
Location: Finals Baby!
 

 

Post#37 » by mhectorgato » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:45 pm

Toyman7777 wrote:foyle had 0 points 3 rebs, in 7 minutes. If the 6'11" gortat could not duplicate that in 7 minutes than he should not be in the league, I am sorry it's just the way I feel.


Foyle is a role player for us. He provides energy and defense when Dwight is resting. To view him with just stats in mind is just plain ridiculous with no support.

Why are you "certain" that Gortat could do better against one of the best East Conf. team for several seasons running?
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
User avatar
drsd
RealGM
Posts: 27,155
And1: 4,162
Joined: Mar 16, 2003
     

 

Post#38 » by drsd » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:21 pm

(Foyle is one of the 100 best bigs in the world; Gortat should not be compared here)

Let's go back to positives. Gortat is extremely active. He has a nose for the offensive boards. And he has an OK 5-10 foot jumper. Add some fundamentals for team defense, and the kid has a real shot!

Most importantly, Marcin Gortat is very coach friendly. He is a listener who does what he can to do what he's told. That's an emotional value many in the NBA seem to lack. Gortat can get better, and he will get better.

Long term, my hope is that Marcin Gortat brings what Bo Outlaw brought. Energy, heart, rug burns, and a tough match against Howard in the practice squad.

Return to Orlando Magic