ImageImageImage

Around the NBA (4.0) *Non-Celtics Talk*

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

NuckyPowell
General Manager
And1: 9,533

Re: Around the NBA (4.0) *Non-Celtics Talk* 

Post#1701 » by NuckyPowell » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:40 pm

djFan71 wrote:
NuckyPowell wrote:
djFan71 wrote:Good deal for MIL, if you ask me. If he gives them even anything close to Mirotic level production you & Crum will look like geniuses. I really like the way MIL has done everything since last summer, with the one big exception being Bledsoe instead of Brogdon.

I definitely did not want the kid in his draft class (I think it was Jaylen's), and I think he's been a bust since he's been in the league, but now, though, for really short money, it's definitely worth a swing. They risk nothing to fill a 15th slot.

Yep. I didn't want him in the draft, either. I was a Murray guy who is happy with Brown. But the kid is still 21, bigs take a while, his role will be simplified (if he has one), so why the heck not?

I liked Hield, and sort of liked Brown. Your guy looks like he's the best of who was available at 3 so far. I was never high on Ingram, and I'm a Duke fan.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#1702 » by djFan71 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:01 am

NuckyPowell wrote:
djFan71 wrote:
NuckyPowell wrote:I definitely did not want the kid in his draft class (I think it was Jaylen's), and I think he's been a bust since he's been in the league, but now, though, for really short money, it's definitely worth a swing. They risk nothing to fill a 15th slot.

Yep. I didn't want him in the draft, either. I was a Murray guy who is happy with Brown. But the kid is still 21, bigs take a while, his role will be simplified (if he has one), so why the heck not?

I liked Hield, and sort of liked Brown. Your guy looks like he's the best of who was available at 3 so far. I was never high in Ingram, and I'm a Duke fan.

I'm not a college guy at all, I rely on all the draft sites to tell me what a guy is good at and go from there based on what I like in players. I was infatuated with shooting at that point, so Murray was "my pick". For whatever reason I bought it more with him than Hield. Buddy's better than I expected already. And to be fair, I was also high on Chriss cuz I can't resist me an ahtletic big with potential. File under "Claxton, Nic - djFan71 obsession". :)

Brown shooting as well as he has and playing on a more veteran stacked team makes it close and hard to compare, but those 2 are definitely my favorites after Simmons in the top of that draft, without insanely unfair hindsight (Siakam).
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#1703 » by Andrew McCeltic » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:11 am

djFan71 wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:
NuckyPowell wrote:Andrew? Imagine poor Curmudgeon. Hide the sharp objects.

Looks like I’m in the dunk tank today, take your best shots

Good deal for MIL, if you ask me. If he gives them even anything close to Mirotic level production you & Curm will look like geniuses. I really like the way MIL has done everything since last summer, with the one big exception being Bledsoe instead of Brogdon.

I don’t think he stayed in on Bender.. and yeah, a better defending Mirotic would be great - worst case is that he gives them Thon Maker production. But cheap, good basic skill set, upside, strength/bulk as major variable, a change of scenery, patience and pumping up his confidence, he could end up decent to good.

Tyson Chandler and I think Kwame Brown had put up more sporadic big games at this point in their careers, but they were both considered “busts”, and one ended up a DPOY and the other a good defensive 5.. Low risk, high upside.
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,600

Post#1704 » by Green89 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:26 am

24istheLAW wrote:
Green89 wrote:Nike execs don't seem to know basketball too well. They just gave Zion a bigger deal than they gave a rookie Lebron. Lebron had little chance of failure and was about as automatic as it gets in having a star career. Zion is such an unknown with his health and weight. Wow, Nike. This may end up being a major loss for them if Zion doesn't pan out.

So there's this thing called inflation...

The inflation equation does not match how much more of a guaranteed superstar Lebron was opposed to the prospect Zion is now.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 10,060

Post#1705 » by Slartibartfast » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:45 am

NuckyPowell wrote:
djFan71 wrote:
NuckyPowell wrote:I definitely did not want the kid in his draft class (I think it was Jaylen's), and I think he's been a bust since he's been in the league, but now, though, for really short money, it's definitely worth a swing. They risk nothing to fill a 15th slot.

I liked Hield, and sort of liked Brown. Your guy looks like he's the best of who was available at 3 so far. I was never high in Ingram, and I'm a Duke fan.

Phoenix is so lame. Drafted two massive long-term projects in Chriss and Bender and gave up on both of them during their rookie deals.

My beef with Bender was that it would take him forever to reach a relatively low ceiling, but Phoenix had plenty of time.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#1706 » by djFan71 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:19 am

Andrew McCeltic wrote:
djFan71 wrote:
Andrew McCeltic wrote:
Looks like I’m in the dunk tank today, take your best shots

Good deal for MIL, if you ask me. If he gives them even anything close to Mirotic level production you & Curm will look like geniuses. I really like the way MIL has done everything since last summer, with the one big exception being Bledsoe instead of Brogdon.

I don’t think he stayed in on Bender.. and yeah, a better defending Mirotic would be great - worst case is that he gives them Thon Maker production. But cheap, good basic skill set, upside, strength/bulk as major variable, a change of scenery, patience and pumping up his confidence, he could end up decent to good.

Tyson Chandler and I think Kwame Brown had put up more sporadic big games at this point in their careers, but they were both considered “busts”, and one ended up a DPOY and the other a good defensive 5.. Low risk, high upside.

Worst thing to me about Bender was losing ryanningf. He wrote volumes in praise of Bender and Ball and hasn’t been back much since. Not necessarily great takes on those 2, so far, but i always liked his posts.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,849

Post#1707 » by 24istheLAW » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:40 pm

Bender is 21, 7 feet tall, and he has the lateral agility defending the perimeter to stay on the court in the playoffs. Easy decision to give him a tryout imo.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#1708 » by MagicBagley18 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:44 pm

beal has'n't signed the extension and financially it makes sense to wait until next year to sign an extension but i don't think he will. in fact i expect within 2 weeks to see a report that say's ''both sides agreed they have different vision for which is the pathway forward and have amicably decided to find trade partners''
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#1709 » by Darth Celtic » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:59 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:beal has'n't signed the extension and financially it makes sense to wait until next year to sign an extension but i don't think he will. in fact i expect within 2 weeks to see a report that say's ''both sides agreed they have different vision for which is the pathway forward and have amicably decided to find trade partners''

I'm guessing it will be less than 2 weeks. They offer it today. If he accepts it, it's announced soon. If he doesn't, somebody will let it slip he's on the block from one of the teams the wiz call.

I think boston might be call number 1. We have a stud who is underrated in JB who is on a rookie deal still, a starting pg/sg defensive first team that matches salary, and a lotto pick from the terrible griz in the next 2 years.

Nobody in the NBA can beat that. Will Danny offer that? For Beal? I'm not sure he does.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
MagicBagley18
RealGM

Post#1710 » by MagicBagley18 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:08 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:beal has'n't signed the extension and financially it makes sense to wait until next year to sign an extension but i don't think he will. in fact i expect within 2 weeks to see a report that say's ''both sides agreed they have different vision for which is the pathway forward and have amicably decided to find trade partners''

I'm guessing it will be less than 2 weeks. They offer it today. If he accepts it, it's announced soon. If he doesn't, somebody will let it slip he's on the block from one of the teams the wiz call.

I think boston might be call number 1. We have a stud who is underrated in JB who is on a rookie deal still, a starting pg/sg defensive first team that matches salary, and a lotto pick from the terrible griz in the next 2 years.

Nobody in the NBA can beat that. Will Danny offer that? For Beal? I'm not sure he does.

yea david aldridge already said he won't be signing it now or potentially at all but the 2 sides will have continued amicable discussions next week......that is when i think you'll hear both decide they are on separate time lines.

watch out for denver. i know they are interested....pelicans also
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,013

Post#1711 » by Darth Celtic » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:12 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:

yea david aldridge already said he won't be signing it now or potentially at all but the 2 sides will have continued amicable discussions next week......that is when i think you'll hear both decide they are on separate time lines.

He is buddies with Tatum, and he is a star. But i'm not sure Danny wants a guy who is that bad on defense while trading 2 much better and longer defenders. On top of the griz pick. I could see JB/Smart/Semi and the bucks pick offered maybe. Danny holds JB in high regard and it sounds like teams keep calling about him too. The average Jo on realgm seems to undervalue him, c's and other fans alike.

Raptors fans saying OG and Powell plus a mid round pick from them beats the Celtics offer of smart/JB. Like.. what?
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
MagicBagley18
RealGM

Post#1712 » by MagicBagley18 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:18 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:I'm guessing it will be less than 2 weeks. They offer it today. If he accepts it, it's announced soon. If he doesn't, somebody will let it slip he's on the block from one of the teams the wiz call.

He is buddies with Tatum, and he is a star. But i'm not sure Danny wants a guy who is that bad on defense while trading 2 much better and longer defenders. On top of the griz pick. I could see JB/Smart/Semi and the bucks pick offered maybe. Danny holds JB in high regard and it sounds like teams keep calling about him too. The average Jo on realgm seems to undervalue him, c's and other fans alike.

Raptors fans saying OG and Powell plus a mid round pick from them beats the Celtics offer of smart/JB. Like.. what?

yea tbh i've been all aboard the get beal train but i also understand there's a heavy cost and get not going after him. i'm one of the guys who undervalues brown's ceiling but i see the potential and why he is so highly valued. i just question if he ever really get's there. also scared of his price tag that is most def coming.

i also don't think beal's defense is as bad as everyone makes it out to be but again we would be losing an all nba 1st team defender for him and putting him with kemba so there has to be reservation an it makes sense.

i just think kemba/beal/hayward/tatum with stevens would be deadly and given an offseason next summer to add depth and defensive dogs with heart and toughness they would have a chance to win it all.
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1713 » by Slartibartfast » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:04 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:

yea tbh i've been all aboard the get beal train but i also understand there's a heavy cost and get not going after him. i'm one of the guys who undervalues brown's ceiling but i see the potential and why he is so highly valued. i just question if he ever really get's there. also scared of his price tag that is most def coming.

i also don't think beal's defense is as bad as everyone makes it out to be but again we would be losing an all nba 1st team defender for him and putting him with kemba so there has to be reservation an it makes sense.

i just think kemba/beal/hayward/tatum with stevens would be deadly and given an offseason next summer to add depth and defensive dogs with heart and toughness they would have a chance to win it all.

I think that line-up would be a big mistake. Four guys whose primary claim to stardom is their ability to create and score. Putting them all together is taking stardom away from at least one of them and probably two. If Kemba is scoring 19ppg as a 2nd/3rd option is he worth his backed up Brinks truck?

It's a great offensive group, but the whole would be less than the sum - four 20+ppg talents are not gonna average 20+ppg on the same roster. And none of those guys is a star without averaging 20+ except for maybe Tatum if his man D makes a leap.

The gold plated championship foundation is a pair of top 10 stars or a superstar big man with dynamite supporting casts. MJ/Pippen, Hakeem, Kobe/Shaq, Duncan, Pierce/KG, Kobe/Gasol, Dirk, LBJ/Wade, Curry/KD, etc.

Stacking All-Star reserve talents only works when the talent fit and balance is awesome, like the 04 Pistons (Chauncey/Rip/Sheed/Ben) or the 14 Spurs (TP/Manu/young Kawhi/TD).

Tatum might be the best long-term talent on the roster, but it might be best to plan short-term contending with Kemba in mind.

Kemba's presence diminishes the value of another 25+ scoring guard. What you want next to Kemba is 16-20 ppg secondary weapons with defensive and playmaking strengths as well as off-ball comfort on offense. With Kemba so limited postionally and size wise, you'd like those support pieces to be on the bigger end too. Something like the 2012 editions of Pierce and KG.

I think Tatum's a decent fit for this model. He's a very good off-ball shooter. A very good 2nd option scorer. He's a plus defender (though not quite as versatile as you want next to Kemba). He's big for the wing. His playmaking is limited (especially when playing off a volume shooter like Kemba, you want your 2nd banana to be pretty good at setting other people up).

Jaylen is a decent fit too. Good off-ball. Has some potential as a 2nd option guy in the right set-ups. Good man defender with a lot of versatility. But even more of a playmaking problem than Tatum.

A most of the way back Hayward is the best fit offensively - a jack of all trades offensively, including high-quality secondary playmaking, but sketchy defensively.

I think Jaylen and Tatum could work as contender grade Kemba wingmen if you put a combo defensive/playmaking force like Draymond (or Giannis!) behind them.

I think Hayward (again, if he recovers) could work if you put a primo defensive frontcourt behind him (something like what Toronto had last year with Siakam/Gasol/Ibaka).

So I think we've got the wing covered. We just need to pick which wing(s) work best next to Kemba, and then use the surplus to get the right kind of championship grade big(s).
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#1714 » by Roddy » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:40 am

Read on Twitter
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,318

Post#1715 » by Triple7 » Thu Aug 1, 2019 11:09 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

:lol:
g5781
Freshman
And1: 133

Post#1716 » by g5781 » Sat Aug 3, 2019 3:12 pm

Read on Twitter
Slartibartfast
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1717 » by Slartibartfast » Sat Aug 3, 2019 3:54 pm

Time to trade for Draymond
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#1718 » by Roddy » Sat Aug 3, 2019 3:56 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:Time to trade for Draymond

zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,859

Post#1719 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Aug 3, 2019 4:25 pm

Read on Twitter
Zaschrona
Sixth Man
And1: 1,324

Post#1720 » by Zaschrona » Sat Aug 3, 2019 5:03 pm

I expect Warriors to trade Russell this season for the best package of role players and picks. They will need to retool and avoid the tax for at least a year.

Or can they make work longterm a line-up of Curry - Russell - Thompson - Looney - Draymond?

Return to Boston Celtics