Dario Saric news and highlights

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,910

Re: Welcome Dario Saric! 

Post#41 » by Fo-Real » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:14 pm

Crives wrote:
Saberestar wrote:High basketball IQ and great passing ability. His skillset as an all-around-PF is gonna give us a lot of options on offense. This player is underrated, hopefully he will have an increased usage on the Suns.

Read on Twitter

I really hope he works out and we resign him on a reasonable long term deal.

I want to see his production and fit first!
hollywood6964
Analyst
And1: 1,397

Post#42 » by hollywood6964 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:19 pm

Fo-Real wrote:
Crives wrote:
Saberestar wrote:High basketball IQ and great passing ability. His skillset as an all-around-PF is gonna give us a lot of options on offense. This player is underrated, hopefully he will have an increased usage on the Suns.

Read on Twitter

I'm hoping this is just a start of building a team and many upgrades along on the way. If they sign the bulk of this team long term, there will be a lot of very disappointed people watching 35-40 win seasons, year in n year out.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,797

Post#43 » by Saberestar » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:42 pm

Read on Twitter
Moochthemonkey
Sixth Man
And1: 1,579

Post#44 » by Moochthemonkey » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:15 am

hollywood6964 wrote:
Fo-Real wrote:
Crives wrote:

I'm hoping this is just a start of building a team and many upgrades along on the way. If they sign the bulk of this team long term, there will be a lot of very disappointed people watching 35-40 win seasons, year in n year out.

well that's a huge improvement from watching 20-25 win seasons year in n year out.
Crives
General Manager
And1: 7,054

Post#45 » by Crives » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:27 am

I hope we get a Saric press conference
sunsbg
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,016

Post#46 » by sunsbg » Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:29 am

20 - I hate this number on a Suns jersey and hope Dario is not the next underachiever to wear it.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,797

Post#47 » by Saberestar » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:56 am

It seems that he is in very good shape.

One thing that Saric needs to avoid at all costs is being overweight. Some players can absorb extra pounds on their bodies (like PJ Tucker) but Saric needs to be agile enough to be a playmaker on offense and defend current PFs...they are really fast.
nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#48 » by nevetsov » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:17 am

Saberestar wrote:

It seems that he is in very good shape.

One thing that Saric needs to avoid at all costs is being overweight. Some players can absorb extra pounds on their bodies (like PJ Tucker) but Saric needs to be agile enough to be a playmaker on offense and defend current PFs...they are really fast.

Boris Diaw says "hold my crepes"
Jarlaxle0204
Sixth Man
And1: 2,091

Post#49 » by Jarlaxle0204 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:45 pm

Our most slept on addition this offseason. He's going to surprise people this year I have a feeling.
sasquatchBob
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,449

Post#50 » by sasquatchBob » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:04 am

Jarlaxle0204 wrote:Our most slept on addition this offseason. He's going to surprise people this year I have a feeling.

I have no doubt that he'll be good offensively but the defense is what worries me. If Ayton is still the same as last year in that aspect, then we're in for some bad time.
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,634

Post#51 » by Qwigglez » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:19 pm

We need Saric to drastically improve his FG%. I thought maybe he'd shoot around 44%, I didn't think he'd shoot under 40%, that's just terrible for a big man. This is his worst FG% he's posted in his entire career. It's only been 8 games, but man this is a brutal start to his Phoenix Suns career.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,611

Post#52 » by lilfishi22 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:17 pm

Qwigglez wrote:We need Saric to drastically improve his FG%. I thought maybe he'd shoot around 44%, I didn't think he'd shoot under 40%, that's just terrible for a big man. This is his worst FG% he's posted in his entire career. It's only been 8 games, but man this is a brutal start to his Phoenix Suns career.

He's been wildly inconsistent and very frustrating. And it's hard to tell what the issue is. Are we using him wrong? Are we not setting him up right? I mean, his biggest contribution so far this season might be his surprising defense
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
RiRuHoops
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,812

Post#53 » by RiRuHoops » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:06 pm

Let's have more discussion about this guy. So he doesn't look good or at least he's very inconsistent. He may get better with time. But I don't see how he fits as a starter long term next to Ayton. He's clearly not a sharp shooter and defense is average. He can't hang with athletic bigs like AD and smaller quicker SF/PFs will take him off the dribble. He's solid as bench guy but he's too similar to Kaminsky in this regard. I see him as very redundant so far, though at least useful while Ayton is out.
darmani
Sixth Man
And1: 2,728

Post#54 » by darmani » Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:11 pm

RiRuSuns wrote:Let's have more discussion about this guy. So he doesn't look good or at least he's very inconsistent. He may get better with time. But I don't see how he fits as a starter long term next to Ayton. He's clearly not a sharp shooter and defense is average. He can't hang with athletic bigs like AD and smaller quicker SF/PFs will take him off the dribble. He's solid as bench guy but he's too similar to Kaminsky in this regard. I see him as very redundant so far, though at least useful while Ayton is out.

What? He looks very good in every aspect of the game (passing, defense, boxing out and rebounding) besides scoring and even that is getting better with every game. In the last 8 games he's averaging 11 ppg on 46% FG, 42% 3P, 59% TS in 28 mpg
"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#55 » by lilfishi22 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:36 pm

I think overall he's been below average in my eyes. I would say maybe slightly below my expectations but I was quite high on him when we traded for him. Only thing that stood out was his defense which I always thought was slightly below avearge but he's looked decent even though he's not very athletic. He's smart defensively, knows how to use his body and tries to use good defensive fundamentals over relying on what athletic gifts he has (or does not have).

As for the long term fit next to Ayton, I'll need more than 1 game to really have an opinion. But so far he hasn't really woah'd me in anyway shape or form.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#56 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:52 am

lilfishi22 wrote:I think overall he's been below average in my eyes. I would say maybe slightly below my expectations but I was quite high on him when we traded for him. Only thing that stood out was his defense which I always thought was slightly below avearge but he's looked decent even though he's not very athletic. He's smart defensively, knows how to use his body and tries to use good defensive fundamentals over relying on what athletic gifts he has (or does not have).

As for the long term fit next to Ayton, I'll need more than 1 game to really have an opinion. But so far he hasn't really woah'd me in anyway shape or form.
Below average is fair considering how poor he played for some of those early games but I think he's been a little more impactful than his numbers would indicate. He's playing within the system and making quick decisions on o and keeps the ball moving all things that Monty wants out of the 4 spot. I think he could see a spike in his offense as teams start to respect baynes more from outside, teams could start cheating off him more to help.

Defensively I was higher on him than most before the season because he's smart and plays hard and that's really over half the battle with NBA defense. He's actually been better than I expected both from the eye test and defensive metrics. Sure he will have some freaks like AD who will give him trouble but you can say that about 80% of PFs.

Really if the suns do want to resign him then he's kind of having the perfect year for that since his counting stats won't wow anyone or likely get him some big offer but he has value. Now with that said I'm certainly not opposed to upgrading the PF spot over the next 9 months if opportunity arises.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#57 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:18 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:I think overall he's been below average in my eyes. I would say maybe slightly below my expectations but I was quite high on him when we traded for him. Only thing that stood out was his defense which I always thought was slightly below avearge but he's looked decent even though he's not very athletic. He's smart defensively, knows how to use his body and tries to use good defensive fundamentals over relying on what athletic gifts he has (or does not have).

Below average is fair considering how poor he played for some of those early games but I think he's been a little more impactful than his numbers would indicate. He's playing within the system and making quick decisions on o and keeps the ball moving all things that Monty wants out of the 4 spot. I think he could see a spike in his offense as teams start to respect baynes more from outside, teams could start cheating off him more to help.

Defensively I was higher on him than most before the season because he's smart and plays hard and that's really over half the battle with NBA defense. He's actually been better than I expected both from the eye test and defensive metrics. Sure he will have some freaks like AD who will give him trouble but you can say that about 80% of PFs.

Really if the suns do want to resign him then he's kind of having the perfect year for that since his counting stats won't wow anyone or likely get him some big offer but he has value. Now with that said I'm certainly not opposed to upgrading the PF spot over the next 9 months if opportunity arises.

He's certainly been more impactful than the numbers suggest but I think I just had too high expectations and perhaps it's unfair to him. I expected he would be more than what he's shown us so far and that could still prove to be the case but thus far, he hasn't really done anything to interest me in terms of keeping him long term.

Maybe the fact that we have two high usage playmakers in Booker and Rubio meant that he hasn't been able to show off his playmaking as much and so he's relegated to a 3rd playmaker/scoring role which isn't really maximising the player he is. In a way, I almost think his playmaking could be further amplified if he played more with the bench squad that is lacking high level playmaking.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#58 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:34 am

lilfishi22 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:

He's certainly been more impactful than the numbers suggest but I think I just had too high expectations and perhaps it's unfair to him. I expected he would be more than what he's shown us so far and that could still prove to be the case but thus far, he hasn't really done anything to interest me in terms of keeping him long term.

Maybe the fact that we have two high usage playmakers in Booker and Rubio meant that he hasn't been able to show off his playmaking as much and so he's relegated to a 3rd playmaker/scoring role which isn't really maximising the player he is. In a way, I almost think his playmaking could be further amplified if he played more with the bench squad that is lacking high level playmaking.
Yeah I agree his playmaking hasn't really been on display and I like the idea of him playing with that second unit more. Maybe a little more cam at the 4 with the starters.

Another reason his playmaking is down is he's pretty good passing from the high post but the suns really don't run much of anything in that part of the court.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns

Post#59 » by lilfishi22 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:28 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Below average is fair considering how poor he played for some of those early games but I think he's been a little more impactful than his numbers would indicate. He's playing within the system and making quick decisions on o and keeps the ball moving all things that Monty wants out of the 4 spot. I think he could see a spike in his offense as teams start to respect baynes more from outside, teams could start cheating off him more to help.

Yeah I agree his playmaking hasn't really been on display and I like the idea of him playing with that second unit more. Maybe a little more cam at the 4 with the starters.

Another reason his playmaking is down is he's pretty good passing from the high post but the suns really don't run much of anything in that part of the court.

Offensively, Cam's shooting would make sense but I think we'll see a bit of a drop off on the defensive end and also in terms of passing even though Dario's passing hasn't really been on full display. The offense/defense balance we have in our current starting 5 would probably fall wayside. I think I see Cam with 4 of our starters as more of an all-offense line up rather than a starting line up. Like if we needed to put points up real quick or we needed to bring our offense back from stagnation for a 5min stretch, he would be in that line up with Rubio running the show and Book, Oubre, Cam and Baynes bombing away.

Ideally, my bench unit would then consist of TJ, Oubre, Cam, Dario, Kaminsky. That's 5 guys who can all shoot and 5 guys who can create either for themselves or for the team at an average level at the very least. Probably not the most athletic/defensive 5-man unit but there's a good bit height there lol.

Dario would really help TJ in the playmaking department because right now our bench unit is almost reliant on TJ to create for the team or Frank to create his own shot. Adding Oubre as a guy who can create for himself and Dario to help out with the playmaking would balance out the shot creation more.

Also just realised that Frank, Oubre and Booker were all drafted in 2015
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,363

Post#60 » by bwgood77 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:40 pm

It's 10 games on a new team and system. I think he's playing fairly well. Nothing he is really bad at. Obviously not a great defender (but more adequate than I expected) and not a great shot blocker and rebounder, but as an offensive guy I'd probably put him above avg. Trying to assess average is tough though....you even see rookies like PJ Washington with great games (but of course we probably don't hear/notice the bad one as much) but then you have a lot of teams with someone not so good at all.

I'd give more time to completely assess but he's been fine. Any 4 who is a good passer and shooter and hasn't beeen a complete liability in D (it doesn't seem to me he has) is ok. He doesn't feel really athletic or light on his feet..but he is effective enough. Not sure if I want to keep him long term, and again, wish we would have focused on this in draft instead of another wing, but obviously I think people know that and it's probably been said enough.

Return to Phoenix Suns