ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Frank Ntilikina Thread

Moderators: Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, K-DOT, Thugger HBC, Jeff Van Gully, GONYK, King of Canada, j4remi, Capn'O, mrpoetryNmotion, mpharris36

TheScout31
Freshman
Posts: 77
And1: 151
Joined: May 06, 2019

Re: Official Frank Ntilikina Thread 

Post#1901 » by TheScout31 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:57 pm

spree2kawhi wrote:Did anyone follow Frank's play in those friendly games?


Yes. Fat Kat posted my Twitter threads earlier.
User avatar
Fat Kat
RealGM
Posts: 25,360
And1: 14,694
Joined: Apr 19, 2004
     

Re: Official Frank Ntilikina Thread 

Post#1902 » by Fat Kat » Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:58 pm

spree2kawhi wrote:Did anyone follow Frank's play in those friendly games?


Yep. Here are some highlights



All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
Thugger HBC
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 48,297
And1: 16,978
Joined: Jan 14, 2011
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?
       

Re: Official Frank Ntilikina Thread 

Post#1903 » by Thugger HBC » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:04 pm

K-DOT wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:
Imo, it makes no sense to compare what the Knicks are doing to other teams actions. We're clearly rebuilding and have all tools available. This shouldnt be rushed, but rather carefully executed no matter how long it takes.

This is the thing though

Would you rather we A: establish a culture from day one, hold guys accountable for not playing defense, and instill an offensive system based on passing the ball

Or B: just throw guys out there and let them do whatever for 48 minutes a game because we're not gonna be good anyways.

My point in using the Nets is to show that teams that do the first option have a higher chance of successfully pulling off a rebuild than teams that do the second option, which is what we're doing

We saw both. Phil had his culture before the players. Everyone and their mama knew we were running the triangle. The team was absolute garbage, with such system. What role did Phil system provide, when the team itself and opponent hated it?

Now we have a primarily young team, that I do feel should have a system, but also needs to get in games regardless. I don't have any major qualms with what Fiz did last season. Sure I'd like to see a set system, but I also wanted the young guns to get the bulk of minutes.....the latter I favored way over the former. Besides I wanted a hard tank so whether there was a system or not I didn't care, just at the least compete, and mostly they did that.

As for what the team has currently, you have to allow these youngsters to actually play. I think a guy like Knox can see the hand writing, he wont have a long leash this season, he's got guys that can play his position this year, guys that can score some and defend, so i think accountability with naturally arrive through that aspect alone. In honesty, Knox controls his fate better than any coach will. Even Mitch has guys that can hold his position down. He aint safe either. He can't be reckless with his court time either. Trier fits in that mold as well.

And now with another influx of young talent, the "show what you can do" process is rebooted again somewhat. Imagine benching your 3rd pick of the draft because of his defense. That kid just turned 19, let him cook out there. I didnt see any mass uproar about Ayton, Trae or Luka either and none of those guys defense is on nba par. They're young it's not expected to be, but they were allow to play, and undoubtably played through some **** moments.

As for the Nets, I just dont see it. I dont see success, at least not yet. I see a team that likely wont win anytime soon, but likely wont be a bottom dweller either any time soon. I like their coach though. I also see disaster ensuing with Kyrie as well.
If winning matters, the role shouldn't.....the results should.

The ...02% of the fanbse be like...http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1542565&start=140#start_here
User avatar
thebuzzardman
RealGM
Posts: 33,381
And1: 24,644
Joined: Jun 24, 2006
Location: IGNOMANIA

Re: Official Frank Ntilikina Thread 

Post#1904 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:04 pm

malik959 wrote:Why do people demand to tank, but than complain about not running plays and bad rotations? :dontknow:


No one is complaining about that. The point is that that stuff was bad, it had BETTER be because they were tanking. I'm glad they tanked. Now we see if Fiz can actually coach.

Same as the KP trade. How would the FO act after, and after a year of taking on 1 year contracts. Would they blow it "Ok" free agents and squander the cap space? Would they land the star, and if not, not compromise future cap space, but remain flexible, like they said? Well, they didn't land the "star" but that's ok, as long as they didn't waste the cap space on longer term, not worth a max cat salary but paid mas, free agents.
And they did that. Wish they would have landed a pick instead of signing a few guys, but that' ok.
User avatar
K-DOT
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 10,783
And1: 13,445
Joined: Nov 25, 2016
         

Re: Official Frank Ntilikina Thread 

Post#1905 » by K-DOT » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:22 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:
Imo, it makes no sense to compare what the Knicks are doing to other teams actions. We're clearly rebuilding and have all tools available. This shouldnt be rushed, but rather carefully executed no matter how long it takes.

This is the thing though

Would you rather we A: establish a culture from day one, hold guys accountable for not playing defense, and instill an offensive system based on passing the ball

Or B: just throw guys out there and let them do whatever for 48 minutes a game because we're not gonna be good anyways.

My point in using the Nets is to show that teams that do the first option have a higher chance of successfully pulling off a rebuild than teams that do the second option, which is what we're doing

We saw both. Phil had his culture before the players. Everyone and their mama knew we were running the triangle. The team was absolute garbage, with such system. What role did Phil system provide, when the team itself and opponent hated it?

Now we have a primarily young team, that I do feel should have a system, but also needs to get in games regardless. I don't have any major qualms with what Fiz did last season. Sure I'd like to see a set system, but I also wanted the young guns to get the bulk of minutes.....the latter I favored way over the former. Besides I wanted a hard tank so whether there was a system or not I didn't care, just at the least compete, and mostly they did that.

As for what the team has currently, you have to allow these youngsters to actually play. I think a guy like Knox can see the hand writing, he wont have a long leash this season, he's got guys that can play his position this year, guys that can score some and defend, so i think accountability with naturally arrive through that aspect alone. In honesty, Knox controls his fate better than any coach will. Even Mitch has guys that can hold his position down. He aint safe either. He can't be reckless with his court time either. Trier fits in that mold as well.

And now with another influx of young talent, the "show what you can do" process is rebooted again somewhat. Imagine benching your 3rd pick of the draft because of his defense. That kid just turned 19, let him cook out there. I didnt see any mass uproar about Ayton, Trae or Luka either and none of those guys defense is on nba par. They're young it's not expected to be, but they were allow to play, and undoubtably played through some **** moments.

As for the Nets, I just dont see it. I dont see success, at least not yet. I see a team that likely wont win anytime soon, but likely wont be a bottom dweller either any time soon. I like their coach though. I also see disaster ensuing with Kyrie as well.

But there's no reason not to instill culture and a system from day one

Even by your logic, the worst case scenario for doing that is the same as the best case scenario for standing pat and just allowing players to do whatever. And I highly disagree with your point on Knox, we spent an entire year reinforcing his bad habits, even if he sees the writing on the wall, they're still that much harder to break even if he's trying to break them. It's like getting someone addicted to cigarettes and going, well sure it's bad for them now, but we can always get them off them, they can see the writing on the wall. Like, just don't get them addicted in the first place

And you know as well as I do that I didn't mean bench RJ because his defense is worse than say, Bullock. You know what I mean is, if he's in a game and takes a play off, he needs to be held accountable.

Doing what we did is the lazy way of rebuilding, and yeah it can work out, but why take the risk when there's really no reward? Like, you've given no reason not to do what I said, the best you can say is there's no difference, which isn't a reason not to do something
BAF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Jalen Lecque
Cam Johnson/Malik Monk
Keita Bates-Diop
Darius Bazley/Juan Hernangomez
Goga Bitadze/Dwight Howard

Reserves: Pat McCaw, Isaac Bonga, Melvin Frazier, Gorgui Dieng
IR: Josh Jackson's contract (rip)
Thugger HBC
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 48,297
And1: 16,978
Joined: Jan 14, 2011
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?
       

Re: Official Frank Ntilikina Thread 

Post#1906 » by Thugger HBC » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:45 pm

K-DOT wrote:But there's no reason not to instill culture and a system from day one


I've agreed I'd like to see a system, but I have stated why there wasn't one that was instilled......the youngsters needed to play, pretty much unbridled and unfiltered. The same way Mitch was allowed to make silly fouls, sometimes just being reckless out there and learn through mistakes, Knox was given same opportunity, and should have been given that. The youth should be the priority, especially when the team has been given the keys to actually do a complete rebuild.

As I stated before, I don't think either of these two in particular will have those keys in similar fashion, they'll have guys who actually can hold down those spots when they botch it up, so that accountability should happened based on roster composition at minimum

K-DOT wrote:Even by your logic, the worst case scenario for doing that is the same as the best case scenario for standing pat and just allowing players to do whatever. And I highly disagree with your point on Knox, we spent an entire year reinforcing his bad habits, even if he sees the writing on the wall, they're still that much harder to break even if he's trying to break them. It's like getting someone addicted to cigarettes and going, well sure it's bad for them now, but we can always get them off them, they can see the writing on the wall. Like, just don't get them addicted in the first place


Nah, the team let Knox in particular play as they should have. Now he has to play with purpose,while growing, but being a viable contributor as well.

K-DOT wrote:And you know as well as I do that I didn't mean bench RJ because his defense is worse than say, Bullock. You know what I mean is, if he's in a game and takes a play off, he needs to be held accountable.


You don't expect a19 year old rookie to take plays off? You're in for a long season if you think otherwise. He's not gonna get benched for it either, nor should he.

K-DOT wrote:Doing what we did is the lazy way of rebuilding, and yeah it can work out, but why take the risk when there's really no reward? Like, you've given no reason not to do what I said, the best you can say is there's no difference, which isn't a reason not to do something


The team tanked last year, it was blatant too. The reward was the worst record. They did their part. the lottery balls just didnt fall competely their way.

I seriously doubt the team tanks lke it did last season. I dont think the coaches nor the players will alow it. They have enough talent to win some games that they toss to the curb last year.
If winning matters, the role shouldn't.....the results should.

The ...02% of the fanbse be like...http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1542565&start=140#start_here
User avatar
Clyde_Style
RealGM
Posts: 34,372
And1: 22,194
Joined: Jul 12, 2009
Location: Free Candy Van
 

Re: Official Frank Ntilikina Thread 

Post#1907 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:47 pm

K-DOT wrote:
malik959 wrote:Why do people demand to tank, but than complain about not running plays and bad rotations? :dontknow:

Jesus f*cking Christ on a cheesecake

Because we didn't want a tank, we wanted development. Those are different things. And Fiz isn't handling the development part particularly well, that's why we're complaining. Which you would have known had you actually read my post

I'm tired of explaining this every f*cking time it comes up


Store please or GTFO
User avatar
thebuzzardman
RealGM
Posts: 33,381
And1: 24,644
Joined: Jun 24, 2006
Location: IGNOMANIA

Re: Official Frank Ntilikina Thread 

Post#1908 » by thebuzzardman » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:48 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
malik959 wrote:Why do people demand to tank, but than complain about not running plays and bad rotations? :dontknow:

Jesus f*cking Christ on a cheesecake

Because we didn't want a tank, we wanted development. Those are different things. And Fiz isn't handling the development part particularly well, that's why we're complaining. Which you would have known had you actually read my post

I'm tired of explaining this every f*cking time it comes up


Store please or GTFO


The Cheesuscake Factory
User avatar
Clyde_Style
RealGM
Posts: 34,372
And1: 22,194
Joined: Jul 12, 2009
Location: Free Candy Van
 

Re: Official Frank Ntilikina Thread 

Post#1909 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:49 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:In the period of our most recent drafts we've had wo different front offices with two different visions. Phil wanted a hybrid rebuild, with some youth, but also known established players to compete with. Melo D- Rose and Noah were on the same team establishes this.

KP was a good pick by Phil, Frank not so much, but I wouldnt close the book just yet. Phil pretty much whiffed on all his other selections whether 2nd rounder, undrafted, whatever. Overall he was subpar as a talent evaluator. Phil also forced a system on the team as well, and that didn't work out either.

Comparatively this regime has done decent with their building primarily drafting. Knox still has opportunity and RJ certainly has opportunity. Our 2nd round picks have been good as well as undrafted guys g-leaguers etc. We dont have high end talent yet, but there's no reason to think not a single one wouldnt develop into that, unless two years is all they should be given.

Imo, it makes no sense to compare what the Knicks are doing to other teams actions. We're clearly rebuilding and have all tools available. This shouldnt be rushed, but rather carefully executed no matter how long it takes.


Yeah, comparing the Phil Jackson Knicks to the Nets is way different than the Scott Perry Knicks. That's just two years and some of the time was spent undoing Phil's mistakes (and Mills THJr signing).
Thugger HBC
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 48,297
And1: 16,978
Joined: Jan 14, 2011
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?
       

Re: Official Frank Ntilikina Thread 

Post#1910 » by Thugger HBC » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:49 pm

Last season was glorious btw. I wanted a tank and got it nightly. I was damn near pissed after some wins. :rofl:
If winning matters, the role shouldn't.....the results should.

The ...02% of the fanbse be like...http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1542565&start=140#start_here
Thugger HBC
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 48,297
And1: 16,978
Joined: Jan 14, 2011
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?
       

Re: Official Frank Ntilikina Thread 

Post#1911 » by Thugger HBC » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:54 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:In the period of our most recent drafts we've had wo different front offices with two different visions. Phil wanted a hybrid rebuild, with some youth, but also known established players to compete with. Melo D- Rose and Noah were on the same team establishes this.

KP was a good pick by Phil, Frank not so much, but I wouldnt close the book just yet. Phil pretty much whiffed on all his other selections whether 2nd rounder, undrafted, whatever. Overall he was subpar as a talent evaluator. Phil also forced a system on the team as well, and that didn't work out either.

Comparatively this regime has done decent with their building primarily drafting. Knox still has opportunity and RJ certainly has opportunity. Our 2nd round picks have been good as well as undrafted guys g-leaguers etc. We dont have high end talent yet, but there's no reason to think not a single one wouldnt develop into that, unless two years is all they should be given.

Imo, it makes no sense to compare what the Knicks are doing to other teams actions. We're clearly rebuilding and have all tools available. This shouldnt be rushed, but rather carefully executed no matter how long it takes.


Yeah, comparing the Phil Jackson Knicks to the Nets is way different than the Scott Perry Knicks. That's just two years and some of the time was spent undoing Phil's mistakes (and Mills THJr signing).

Ironically, Phil's Knicks had a system his entire time here. The triangle. Outside of KP and to an extent Frank, Phil really didn't acquire anything notable at all. His prized pick skipped his exit meeting, basically f u and your system. :rofl:
If winning matters, the role shouldn't.....the results should.

The ...02% of the fanbse be like...http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1542565&start=140#start_here
User avatar
K-DOT
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 10,783
And1: 13,445
Joined: Nov 25, 2016
         

Re: Official Frank Ntilikina Thread 

Post#1912 » by K-DOT » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:55 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:
K-DOT wrote:But there's no reason not to instill culture and a system from day one


I've agreed I'd like to see a system, but I have stated why there wasn't one that was instilled......the youngsters needed to play, pretty much unbridled and unfiltered. The same way Mitch was allowed to make silly fouls, sometimes just being reckless out there and learn through mistakes, Knox was given same opportunity, and should have been given that. The youth should be the priority, especially when the team has been given the keys to actually do a complete rebuild.

As I stated before, I don't think either of these two in particular will have those keys in similar fashion, they'll have guys who actually can hold down those spots when they botch it up, so that accountability should happened based on roster composition at minimum

K-DOT wrote:Even by your logic, the worst case scenario for doing that is the same as the best case scenario for standing pat and just allowing players to do whatever. And I highly disagree with your point on Knox, we spent an entire year reinforcing his bad habits, even if he sees the writing on the wall, they're still that much harder to break even if he's trying to break them. It's like getting someone addicted to cigarettes and going, well sure it's bad for them now, but we can always get them off them, they can see the writing on the wall. Like, just don't get them addicted in the first place


Nah, the team let Knox in particular play as they should have. Now he has to play with purpose,while growing, but being a viable contributor as well.

K-DOT wrote:And you know as well as I do that I didn't mean bench RJ because his defense is worse than say, Bullock. You know what I mean is, if he's in a game and takes a play off, he needs to be held accountable.


You don't expect a19 year old rookie to take plays off? You're in for a long season if you think otherwise. He's not gonna get benched for it either, nor should he.

K-DOT wrote:Doing what we did is the lazy way of rebuilding, and yeah it can work out, but why take the risk when there's really no reward? Like, you've given no reason not to do what I said, the best you can say is there's no difference, which isn't a reason not to do something


The team tanked last year, it was blatant too. The reward was the worst record. They did their part. the lottery balls just didnt fall competely their way.

I seriously doubt the team tanks lke it did last season. I dont think the coaches nor the players will alow it. They have enough talent to win some games that they toss to the curb last year.

This is just gonna keep coming back to a fundamental disagreement

You think it's okay to allow guys to do what they want and reinforce bad habits, cause they're just gonna naturally break them on their own in the future. I think we shouldn't reinforce those bad habits, so that when we're actually trying to win, we don't have to break them, they just won't be there

We need to be development first, not draft position first. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. And we should be active in developing our guys, not passive
BAF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Jalen Lecque
Cam Johnson/Malik Monk
Keita Bates-Diop
Darius Bazley/Juan Hernangomez
Goga Bitadze/Dwight Howard

Reserves: Pat McCaw, Isaac Bonga, Melvin Frazier, Gorgui Dieng
IR: Josh Jackson's contract (rip)
User avatar
Clyde_Style
RealGM
Posts: 34,372
And1: 22,194
Joined: Jul 12, 2009
Location: Free Candy Van
 

Re: Official Frank Ntilikina Thread 

Post#1913 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:58 pm

With the guys we signed plus Mitch, Frank and hopefully RJ if we don't hear chants of DEEEEE-FENSE! something is seriously wrong.
Galou
Junior
Posts: 355
And1: 203
Joined: Dec 16, 2017
Location: Brooklyn
     

Re: Official Frank Ntilikina Thread 

Post#1914 » by Galou » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:02 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
spree2kawhi wrote:Did anyone follow Frank's play in those friendly games?


Yep. Here are some highlights





Highlights? That's it?

Mannnnn
Do i seem like a nerd to you? Save your essays, your sneak disses, and stats. I tell it like it is B
I'm The Realist 8-)
User avatar
K-DOT
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 10,783
And1: 13,445
Joined: Nov 25, 2016
         

Re: Official Frank Ntilikina Thread 

Post#1915 » by K-DOT » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:02 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:With the guys we signed plus Mitch, Frank and hopefully RJ if we don't hear chants of DEEEEE-FENSE! something is seriously wrong.

I predict we're bottom 5 defense again. At best, bottom 10

So, there will be chants, but it'll be more like a plea than anything
BAF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Jalen Lecque
Cam Johnson/Malik Monk
Keita Bates-Diop
Darius Bazley/Juan Hernangomez
Goga Bitadze/Dwight Howard

Reserves: Pat McCaw, Isaac Bonga, Melvin Frazier, Gorgui Dieng
IR: Josh Jackson's contract (rip)
Thugger HBC
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 48,297
And1: 16,978
Joined: Jan 14, 2011
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?
       

Re: Official Frank Ntilikina Thread 

Post#1916 » by Thugger HBC » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:04 pm

K-DOT wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:
K-DOT wrote:But there's no reason not to instill culture and a system from day one


I've agreed I'd like to see a system, but I have stated why there wasn't one that was instilled......the youngsters needed to play, pretty much unbridled and unfiltered. The same way Mitch was allowed to make silly fouls, sometimes just being reckless out there and learn through mistakes, Knox was given same opportunity, and should have been given that. The youth should be the priority, especially when the team has been given the keys to actually do a complete rebuild.

As I stated before, I don't think either of these two in particular will have those keys in similar fashion, they'll have guys who actually can hold down those spots when they botch it up, so that accountability should happened based on roster composition at minimum

K-DOT wrote:Even by your logic, the worst case scenario for doing that is the same as the best case scenario for standing pat and just allowing players to do whatever. And I highly disagree with your point on Knox, we spent an entire year reinforcing his bad habits, even if he sees the writing on the wall, they're still that much harder to break even if he's trying to break them. It's like getting someone addicted to cigarettes and going, well sure it's bad for them now, but we can always get them off them, they can see the writing on the wall. Like, just don't get them addicted in the first place


Nah, the team let Knox in particular play as they should have. Now he has to play with purpose,while growing, but being a viable contributor as well.

K-DOT wrote:And you know as well as I do that I didn't mean bench RJ because his defense is worse than say, Bullock. You know what I mean is, if he's in a game and takes a play off, he needs to be held accountable.


You don't expect a19 year old rookie to take plays off? You're in for a long season if you think otherwise. He's not gonna get benched for it either, nor should he.

K-DOT wrote:Doing what we did is the lazy way of rebuilding, and yeah it can work out, but why take the risk when there's really no reward? Like, you've given no reason not to do what I said, the best you can say is there's no difference, which isn't a reason not to do something


The team tanked last year, it was blatant too. The reward was the worst record. They did their part. the lottery balls just didnt fall competely their way.

I seriously doubt the team tanks lke it did last season. I dont think the coaches nor the players will alow it. They have enough talent to win some games that they toss to the curb last year.

This is just gonna keep coming back to a fundamental disagreement

You think it's okay to allow guys to do what they want and reinforce bad habits, cause they're just gonna naturally break them on their own in the future. I think we shouldn't reinforce those bad habits, so that when we're actually trying to win, we don't have to break them, they just won't be there

We need to be development first, not draft position first. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. And we should be active in developing our guys, not passive


I don't have an issue with a system being in place. I do have an issue that such system prevents the youth from playing maximum minutes. I want the youth to play regardless, and let them learn while they play.

And btw, Fiz does have a system. He wants a certain style of play. The team played it pretty much all last year.
If winning matters, the role shouldn't.....the results should.

The ...02% of the fanbse be like...http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1542565&start=140#start_here
Thugger HBC
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 48,297
And1: 16,978
Joined: Jan 14, 2011
Location: Defense+efficient offense=titles...what do you have?
       

Re: Official Frank Ntilikina Thread 

Post#1917 » by Thugger HBC » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:11 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:With the guys we signed plus Mitch, Frank and hopefully RJ if we don't hear chants of DEEEEE-FENSE! something is seriously wrong.

They'll chant defense regardless if the score is close definitely in latter parts of the game. They chanted defense even when Jose Calderon was on the floor. :lol:
If winning matters, the role shouldn't.....the results should.

The ...02% of the fanbse be like...http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1542565&start=140#start_here
User avatar
K-DOT
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 10,783
And1: 13,445
Joined: Nov 25, 2016
         

Re: Official Frank Ntilikina Thread 

Post#1918 » by K-DOT » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:14 pm

Thugger HBC wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
Thugger HBC wrote:
I've agreed I'd like to see a system, but I have stated why there wasn't one that was instilled......the youngsters needed to play, pretty much unbridled and unfiltered. The same way Mitch was allowed to make silly fouls, sometimes just being reckless out there and learn through mistakes, Knox was given same opportunity, and should have been given that. The youth should be the priority, especially when the team has been given the keys to actually do a complete rebuild.

As I stated before, I don't think either of these two in particular will have those keys in similar fashion, they'll have guys who actually can hold down those spots when they botch it up, so that accountability should happened based on roster composition at minimum



Nah, the team let Knox in particular play as they should have. Now he has to play with purpose,while growing, but being a viable contributor as well.



You don't expect a19 year old rookie to take plays off? You're in for a long season if you think otherwise. He's not gonna get benched for it either, nor should he.



The team tanked last year, it was blatant too. The reward was the worst record. They did their part. the lottery balls just didnt fall competely their way.

I seriously doubt the team tanks lke it did last season. I dont think the coaches nor the players will alow it. They have enough talent to win some games that they toss to the curb last year.

This is just gonna keep coming back to a fundamental disagreement

You think it's okay to allow guys to do what they want and reinforce bad habits, cause they're just gonna naturally break them on their own in the future. I think we shouldn't reinforce those bad habits, so that when we're actually trying to win, we don't have to break them, they just won't be there

We need to be development first, not draft position first. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. And we should be active in developing our guys, not passive


I don't have an issue with a system being in place. I do have an issue that such system prevents the youth from playing maximum minutes. I want the youth to play regardless, and let them learn while they play.

And btw, Fiz does have a system. He wants a certain style of play. The team played it pretty much all last year.

You know what they're learning while they play in Fiz's "system?"

Don't pass the ball. If you do, you're not getting it back. Take whatever shot you want, it doesn't have to go in, doesn't have to be a good shot, as long as you're shooting, you're good. Also, make sure the most complex play you run is a high PnR. Don't try anything more difficult than that, cause if you run actual plays, that means you're taking less shots which means your play time is gonna go down

But somehow they're just gonna miraculously flip a switch and know how to play team ball when we want, right?
BAF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Jalen Lecque
Cam Johnson/Malik Monk
Keita Bates-Diop
Darius Bazley/Juan Hernangomez
Goga Bitadze/Dwight Howard

Reserves: Pat McCaw, Isaac Bonga, Melvin Frazier, Gorgui Dieng
IR: Josh Jackson's contract (rip)
User avatar
Clyde_Style
RealGM
Posts: 34,372
And1: 22,194
Joined: Jul 12, 2009
Location: Free Candy Van
 

Re: Official Frank Ntilikina Thread 

Post#1919 » by Clyde_Style » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:16 pm

K-DOT wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:With the guys we signed plus Mitch, Frank and hopefully RJ if we don't hear chants of DEEEEE-FENSE! something is seriously wrong.

I predict we're bottom 5 defense again. At best, bottom 10

So, there will be chants, but it'll be more like a plea than anything


You seem to know the future. I don't. Just hoping like the eternal homer that I am.
User avatar
K-DOT
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Posts: 10,783
And1: 13,445
Joined: Nov 25, 2016
         

Re: Official Frank Ntilikina Thread 

Post#1920 » by K-DOT » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:25 pm

Clyde_Style wrote:
K-DOT wrote:
Clyde_Style wrote:With the guys we signed plus Mitch, Frank and hopefully RJ if we don't hear chants of DEEEEE-FENSE! something is seriously wrong.

I predict we're bottom 5 defense again. At best, bottom 10

So, there will be chants, but it'll be more like a plea than anything


You seem to know the future. I don't. Just hoping like the eternal homer that I am.

I mean, sure, I hope we're better than that.

But, looking at our projected starters and minutes, I don't think so. In our starting lineup, our second best defensive player is DSJ. Which I mean, he's alright, he doesn't hurt but doesn't help. RJ I'm not counting on to be a positive on defense right away. Rookies rarely are, and he's gonna be 19 all year, plus he wasn't the best in college. Can get there, but probably not his first year. Mitch is Mitch. Knox was one of if not the worst defensive player in the league last year, but I have some hope based on SL (where he looked, not the worst player in the league), and the fact that opposing 3s performed worse against him than 4s last year (though I don't know about team defense, just one on one). Randle, well his defense is pretty bad. He's one of those guys who people say "when engaged, he's good," but he rarely is.

Then, Trier tries so I can't knock him but he isn't good defensively. Kadeem, Bullock, and Ellington are alright. Morris is good and will see heavy minutes so he can pad his stats for his next payday. Portis is bad, Gibson is good but old, Dot is good but I wonder how much we're actually gonna play him, and Frank's our best perimeter guy but you know as well as I do, he ain't getting many minutes

Doesn't seem likely we're gonna be even average defensively
BAF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Jalen Lecque
Cam Johnson/Malik Monk
Keita Bates-Diop
Darius Bazley/Juan Hernangomez
Goga Bitadze/Dwight Howard

Reserves: Pat McCaw, Isaac Bonga, Melvin Frazier, Gorgui Dieng
IR: Josh Jackson's contract (rip)

Return to New York Knicks