Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

suns12345
Starter
And1: 1,612

Re: Welcome Aron Baynes! 

Post#61 » by suns12345 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:47 pm

timetoshinebaby wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
jcsunsfan wrote:Not sure why not. Ayton could play some pf and give Baynes some more time at C. Is Saric playing FIBA?

Baynes can not put those numbers in the NBA on a regular basis. He does not have the skills to score that much game in and game out. That is why he never did it during the seven years that he has been in the league.

It is an small sample size. Just FIVE games.

What I like about his performances is that he is showing that he is in great basketball shape and his 3p shooting is a bit improved.

Saric is not playing.

I think Baynes is showing more consistency in his 3 ball. Look at his stats in 2018-19 and his percentage started to increase. He has always been a reasonable shooter from the line and I just wonder whether he has genuinely improved his 3 point shot over time and now is getting more opportunities because of that. His Boston result was relatively low usage but you have to consider his previous years where he didn't shoot the 3 at all.

I think Baynes' shooting may surprise some. Not sure he has much scoring besides that but I think his role might be a little different to what many envisage. I also note he spends most of his time on the court with a Centre for Australia so nothing would shock me. I'd be very happy to have a big who can set screens when needed and is confident to hit a three. Has the possibility to create space especially if Ayton starts to develop his range (which is likely).

He has been playing only centre for Australia. He more or less splits minutes with Andrew Bogut in each game.

Baynes starts at the 5 with Jock Landale (who plays in europe) at the 4
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,799

Post#62 » by Saberestar » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:39 pm

Read on Twitter
Qwigglez
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 13,637

Post#63 » by Qwigglez » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:11 am

Might be a little early for this, but I hope Baynes sticks around. Hope he retires as a Sun in five years.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#64 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:12 pm

I knew this dude was a good screen setter but I never really appreciated how good until watching these past 3 games. I hope Ayton is watching him closely because he can learn a thing or two from baynes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
jcsunsfan
Head Coach
And1: 4,822

Post#65 » by jcsunsfan » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:45 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:I knew this dude was a good screen setter but I never really appreciated how good until watching these past 3 games. I hope Ayton is watching him closely because he can learn a thing or two from baynes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app

“Aron Baynes is the best screener in the NBA and it’s not close.” — Stan Van Gundy
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,365

Post#66 » by bwgood77 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:34 pm

Qwigglez wrote:Might be a little early for this, but I hope Baynes sticks around. Hope he retires as a Sun in five years.

Yeah, that would be nice.....I always thought he'd want to go to a contender, but maybe we will be! I think the vibe around the team seems really good.

So early to decide on what we should do with all of our players being 3 games in. It largely depends on how ready Jerome is, and how much Carter wants in FA. And then same with Saric but I might prefer Kaminsky anyway, especially if Saric commands more than $14 or so....maybe even more than $12 or even $10.

BUT, depth is good....and it's really WAY too early to make such judgements.
timetoshinebaby
Junior
And1: 309

Post#67 » by timetoshinebaby » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:21 pm

bwgood77 wrote:
Qwigglez wrote:Might be a little early for this, but I hope Baynes sticks around. Hope he retires as a Sun in five years.

Yeah, that would be nice.....I always thought he'd want to go to a contender, but maybe we will be! I think the vibe around the team seems really good.

So early to decide on what we should do with all of our players being 3 games in. It largely depends on how ready Jerome is, and how much Carter wants in FA. And then same with Saric but I might prefer Kaminsky anyway, especially if Saric commands more than $14 or so....maybe even more than $12 or even $10.

BUT, depth is good....and it's really WAY too early to make such judgements.

I think Baynes has bought in and while it may be unusual for a backup C to be a team leader, I get the vibe he is in the locker room. He hard, no crap, type of guy - which to be honest is probably what half these guys need. No offence to Jamal Crawford but not sure the loving father is what they need.
matt131
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,758

Post#68 » by matt131 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:36 pm

Read on Twitter

This might be my favorite play from the game. Baynes looks HUGE setting that pick and Lou can't get around it and is so frustrated that he legit just pushes him because he's so mad (then of course, holds his hands out like he didn't do anything wrong). I love Baynes setting the tone like this.
darmani
Sixth Man
And1: 2,728

Post#69 » by darmani » Sat Nov 2, 2019 9:18 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
"Can’t talk basketball with everybody" - Devin Booker
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#70 » by Spin Move » Sun Nov 3, 2019 3:20 am

He is doing what I expected, working hard and bringing a culture of toughness. You can't rely on his scoring, that is a bonus, it's the other things he does that make him valuable. Great start to the season for him.
nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#71 » by nevetsov » Tue Nov 5, 2019 4:07 am

If Baynes keeps up his current production, he is going to get PAID.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#72 » by Saberestar » Tue Nov 5, 2019 4:44 am

nevetsov wrote:If Baynes keeps up his current production, he is going to get PAID.

I don't know if he can play that great for 82 games. Teams probably will adjust better, they didn't expect that production on offense.

He is playing the best basketball of his career, really happy for him and the Suns. He looks a nice guy.

He is gonna get paid for sure, we will see how much next summer. Hopefully we can retain him.
ATTL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,482

Post#73 » by ATTL » Tue Nov 5, 2019 5:00 am

He's a huge part of the suns this year, there should be money to pay the key free agents, including aron.
hollywood6964
Analyst
And1: 1,397

Post#74 » by hollywood6964 » Tue Nov 5, 2019 5:19 am

hollywood6964 wrote:
RaisingArizona wrote:Jones going to waste more cap space cutting guys so they can go to contenders. Brilliant

Wtf. I actually liked the idea of getting him. Jesus Christ, fn sonned again.

Haha, I told you all I was going to be pissed if we cut cut him.
nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#75 » by nevetsov » Tue Nov 5, 2019 5:51 am

Maybe he gets a bit of TyJo's money, and TyJo gets closer to Baynes money.
Pipp33
Rookie
And1: 642

Post#76 » by Pipp33 » Tue Nov 5, 2019 9:54 pm

No matter if he keeps this production up for another 20 games, he will still do what the coaching staff and head office wanted him for - He'll bring toughness and leadership to a previously anchor less team.

He was a GREAT acquisition for the Suns, especially for Ayton. He is a very SMART player who defends well, despite his lack of quickness, and also communicates as good as any player in the league on D. It's been a common trait for a few Australian bigs in the NBA, Bogut was one of the best Defensive organisers in the league during his career, especially at the Warriors.

It's no coincidence that when Baynes was on the floor with the Celtics, they had their best defensive rating. Now that he has added a consistent 3 Point shot over the last season, it only makes his screening more dangerous.

I hope he has a great season at the Suns and they can build on this great start
Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#77 » by Saberestar » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:37 am

ATTL wrote:He's a huge part of the suns this year, there should be money to pay the key free agents, including aron.

I am wondering about his next contract... with his great production this season but being 33 years old, how much he will get and for how many years?

A lot of time until the summer yet, and everything can change or happen during the season so this is just an idea or feeling about his value as a FA.

I would say that $25M / 3 years ($8.3M per year) looks good for both sides. He would get a guaranteed third year (36 years old) but I think he is gonna be healthy, he is so durable.

What do you think?
lilfishi22
Forum Mod - Suns
Forum Mod - Suns
And1: 21,613

Post#78 » by lilfishi22 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:41 am

I think he'll get pair fairly well. I feel like he's going to get something in the $10-12m range if he keeps this up. He's a bit older but a guy his size that can protect the paint but also shoot 3's is pretty valuable. Probably something a less than what Dedmon got.
lilfishi22 wrote:More than ever....we are in the championship or bust endgame
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,365

Post#79 » by bwgood77 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:46 am

lilfishi22 wrote:I think he'll get pair fairly well. I feel like he's going to get something in the $10-12m range if he keeps this up. He's a bit older but a guy his size that can protect the paint but also shoot 3's is pretty valuable. Probably something a less than what Dedmon got.

I'd be surprised, given the few teams that have cap space and what other Cs are signing for. The Kings overpaid a few players.

He's certainly worth it relatively speaking if you want to compare him to certain other Cs but I don't know that he gets that much...MAYBE low end since he can hit 3s and is a tough defender. The thing is, most of the teams that would REALLY want him that he would consider don't likely have the money....though I guess the MLE is getting higher.
Saberestar
RealGM

Post#80 » by Saberestar » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:54 am

bwgood77 wrote:
lilfishi22 wrote:I think he'll get pair fairly well. I feel like he's going to get something in the $10-12m range if he keeps this up. He's a bit older but a guy his size that can protect the paint but also shoot 3's is pretty valuable. Probably something a less than what Dedmon got.

I'd be surprised, given the few teams that have cap space and what other Cs are signing for. The Kings overpaid a few players.

He's certainly worth it relatively speaking if you want to compare him to certain other Cs but I don't know that he gets that much...MAYBE low end since he can hit 3s and is a tough defender. The thing is, most of the teams that would REALLY want him that he would consider don't likely have the money....though I guess the MLE is getting higher.

Yeah, I don't believe that he will receive $10M+ multi-year offers.

Return to Phoenix Suns