MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Who is your pick for the 2019-20 MVP?

Giannis
61%
James
25%
Harden
3%
Leonard
0%
Doncic
4%
Jokic
1%
Tatum
1%
Davis
1%
Butler
1%
Siakam/Westbrook
2%

Total votes: 430

Infinite Llamas
General Manager
And1: 21,245

Re: MVP Discussion [19/20] [part II] - voting opened 

Post#641 » by Infinite Llamas » Fri Feb 7, 2020 1:04 am

greekbuck34 wrote:
Infinite Llamas wrote:
SeniorWalker wrote:I need some convincing that Jokic is the better offensive player. He may very well be more skilled in some areas but that alone does not mean he is more effective offensively. Giannis commands 5 players everytime he steps in the paint and still scores anyway at a very high clip. PER isnt a great modern stat but it is indicative of overall raw offensive contributions and Giannis right now has the highest of all time.

Just my opinion. Giannis may become the better offensive player but I see some flaws when I watch him. No I’m between game. Poor free throw shooter. Bad shot mechanics. Good but not great court vision. I still sense some hesitation in him at times too.

I’m not saying that he isn’t a fantastic player because he is, but these are just my observations. Jokic has no real weaknesses on offense. He can beat you in so many ways and not just with his shot but his vision.

What was that Sean Bean line from the first show of Game of Thrones? “A mad man sees what he sees”. Maybe I’m mad, but this is just what I see.

If Jokic has no real weaknesses and is unstoppable why then he doesn't average 30 points per 30 minutes on better efficiency and/or lead a top 2 offense in the NBA with his passing, presence and gravity?

He is 20ppg player for the second season in a row and the Nuggets have the 10th best offense and he doesn't even give 1/4 of the effort of Giannis on defense on top of that.

I never used the word unstoppable. The thing is, Jokic is a pass first guy and that means he will trust his teammates no matter what. Gary Harris shot 0-13 last night and Jokic kept feeding him. He doesn’t call his own number unless he sees it as the biggest advantage for his team. Of course Giannis will have higher per 30 numbers. His Usage % is over ten points higher than Jokic...and yes, Giannis makes efficient work with these possessions but he’s also cramming about 35-38 minutes of a workload into 30 minutes. He gets hacked a lot, relies on a lot of quick moves to get to the rim...he takes a pounding every game and it’s logical to wonder if he will wear down with more minutes in a tough playoff matchup. Jokic paces himself because that’s how he can play big minutes and still be so effective.

Call me a fool all you like, but these discourse posts of y’all explaining why Giannis is mvp are a lot more worthwhile than the usual “let’s call it now” “Giannis and the rest ain’t even close” “Giannis just running away with it”...
Gerald Green Loves LLamas!
Jazz9
Analyst
And1: 6,482

Post#642 » by Jazz9 » Fri Feb 7, 2020 3:21 am

Honestly there's no need for this thread anymore.
The MVP is Giannis and that's it.
Young gun 6
Analyst
And1: 6,004

Post#643 » by Young gun 6 » Fri Feb 7, 2020 3:26 am

This should end up being a unanimous MVP when the votes come in.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,672

Post#644 » by jimmybones » Fri Feb 7, 2020 3:34 am

Yeah, at this point “discussion” is almost a kinda silly title. It’s Giannis.
The Lazy Potato
Pro Prospect
And1: 300

Post#645 » by The Lazy Potato » Fri Feb 7, 2020 3:47 am

At this point i will say that for those who didn't vote Giannis for MVP i want their names. They deserve some recognition as trolls.
Jurassic_Park
Pro Prospect
And1: 777

Post#646 » by Jurassic_Park » Fri Feb 7, 2020 3:50 am

The Lazy Potato wrote:At this point i will say that for those who didn't vote Giannis for MVP i want their names. They deserve some recognition as trolls.

they're called lebron fans... apparently he deserves the mvp every year..
Infinite Llamas
General Manager

Post#647 » by Infinite Llamas » Fri Feb 7, 2020 4:00 am

The Lazy Potato wrote:At this point i will say that for those who didn't vote Giannis for MVP i want their names. They deserve some recognition as trolls.

Lol.

30/20/10 vs Gobert is a lot more impressive than 36/20/6 vs Embiid.
The Lazy Potato
Pro Prospect
And1: 300

Post#648 » by The Lazy Potato » Fri Feb 7, 2020 4:03 am

Infinite Llamas wrote:

Lol.

You still don't want to get it. It's about the whole season not just one or few games. Giannis is playing historically amazing the whole season so far, you can't say the same thing for anyone else..
Infinite Llamas
General Manager

Post#649 » by Infinite Llamas » Fri Feb 7, 2020 4:08 am

The Lazy Potato wrote:
Infinite Llamas wrote:

Lol.

You still don't want to get it. It's about the whole season not just one or few games. Giannis is playing historically amazing the whole season so far, you can't say the same thing for anyone else..

I’ve seen worse hills to die on tbh
HotRocks34
RealGM
And1: 17,577

Post#650 » by HotRocks34 » Fri Feb 7, 2020 5:57 am

Young gun 6 wrote:This should end up being a unanimous MVP when the votes come in.

Looks like we're heading to that ending.

You never know, though. There's always the person or people who want to be clowns. Like the person who denied Jeter the unanimous Hall Of Fame entry.
** Embiid is the only MVP in NBA history to never make a conference final
** Philly won multiple playoff games without MVP Embiid, including a 2nd-round game on the road
** LeBron missed the playoffs with Davis
** Steph missed the playoffs without Klay
Jurassic_Park
Pro Prospect
And1: 777

Post#651 » by Jurassic_Park » Fri Feb 7, 2020 6:02 am

who has a bigger lead, morant for ROY, or Giannis for MVP? both races are done.
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#652 » by LikeABosh » Fri Feb 7, 2020 7:14 am

Jurassic_Park wrote:

they're called lebron fans... apparently he deserves the mvp every year..

Big LeBron fan. Haven't voted for him since his last MVP season
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#653 » by LikeABosh » Fri Feb 7, 2020 7:14 am

Infinite Llamas wrote:

Lol.

Why?
BMatt07
Starter
And1: 2,138

Post#654 » by BMatt07 » Fri Feb 7, 2020 8:10 am

Infinite Llamas wrote:

Lol.

Obviously the transitive property doesn't apply to the NBA, but Giannis did put up 43/14/8/2 on Gobert last year in March, just saying. Lol.

Jokic a better offensive player than Giannis.... come on man.

Fico92
Sixth Man
And1: 2,361

Post#655 » by Fico92 » Fri Feb 7, 2020 9:16 am

The Lazy Potato wrote:
Infinite Llamas wrote:

Lol.

Assuming the Bucks stay healthy, anything short of a championship would be a MASSIVE disappointment, especially if Giannis is unanimous MVP. Agree?
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,879

Post#656 » by Jez2983 » Fri Feb 7, 2020 9:41 am

Fico92 wrote:
The Lazy Potato wrote:
Infinite Llamas wrote:
Lol.

Assuming the Bucks stay healthy, anything short of a championship would be a MASSIVE disappointment, especially if Giannis is unanimous MVP. Agree?

As a Bucks fan, I can say a definite yes. If we don't win I'll be disappointed.

What I am not saying is that I expect us to win. There's a long way to go this season, and a number of very good teams in the NBA. No one is ever handed a championship. The West contain a number of teams that can be unstoppable. The Celtics and Raptors are very good teams too, saying nothing of whether the Sixers figure it out.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
GusT15
Bench Warmer
And1: 3,269

Post#657 » by GusT15 » Fri Feb 7, 2020 9:58 am

Fico92 wrote:

To chime in,anything short of a trip to the Finals would be a MASSIVE disappointment for the Bucks this year.

Clippers are still the favorite though,the team to beat,even if Giannis is unanimous MVP.
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,684

Post#658 » by Pachinko_ » Fri Feb 7, 2020 10:24 am

Infinite Llamas wrote:Just my opinion. Giannis may become the better offensive player but I see some flaws when I watch him. No I’m between game. Poor free throw shooter. Bad shot mechanics. Good but not great court vision. I still sense some hesitation in him at times too.

I’m not saying that he isn’t a fantastic player because he is, but these are just my observations. Jokic has no real weaknesses on offense. He can beat you in so many ways and not just with his shot but his vision.

What was that Sean Bean line from the first show of Game of Thrones? “A mad man sees what he sees”. Maybe I’m mad, but this is just what I see.

I get what you're saying and I agree.
I think the piece of the puzzle you're missing is Gianni's motor which allows him to have a higher intensity over long stretches, which is essentially where he catches up to jokic offensively. Just the way he pushes the ball off the rebound catches defenses unorganized and then he powers through them and basically destroys them bit by bit. It's basically everything that is good about Westbrook and Simmons in a bigger package.

You are right, when everybody's had time to set up? I'd take Jokic too. But basketball is not played like that all the time.
Perseus1966
Veteran
And1: 1,159

Post#659 » by Perseus1966 » Fri Feb 7, 2020 10:53 am

Cant teach height cant beat the refs ,so no dissapointment.
I want RoLo to be my son in law!
Infinite Llamas
General Manager

Post#660 » by Infinite Llamas » Fri Feb 7, 2020 1:00 pm

Pachinko_ wrote:
Infinite Llamas wrote:Just my opinion. Giannis may become the better offensive player but I see some flaws when I watch him. No I’m between game. Poor free throw shooter. Bad shot mechanics. Good but not great court vision. I still sense some hesitation in him at times too.

I get what you're saying and I agree.
I think the piece of the puzzle you're missing is Gianni's motor which allows him to have a higher intensity over long stretches, which is essentially where he catches up to jokic offensively. Just the way he pushes the ball off the rebound catches defenses unorganized and then he powers through them and basically destroys them bit by bit. It's basically everything that is good about Westbrook and Simmons in a bigger package.

You are right, when everybody's had time to set up? I'd take Jokic too. But basketball is not played like that all the time.

Best analysis I’ve seen, thank you

Return to The General Board