ESPN's 'The Last Dance' -- ongoing discussion

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

ssang
Sophomore
And1: 355

Re: ESPN's 'The Last Dance' -- ongoing discussion 

Post#1101 » by ssang » Mon May 18, 2020 7:09 pm

lazybatman wrote:Scottie is ranked no. 21 on recently published NBA top 74 players. Salty much?

And he made 10 All defensive teams, not 6. My bad.

And before you start labelling Rodman as a chump look at these -
7 time rebounding champion and All NBA defensive team; 2 time DPOY; and I stress, a player who knew his role and was already a champion before he joined the Bulls
And Phil's resume only got further glorified in this doc.

Mike's not GOAT without any one of them and his supporting cast, and likely finishes his career getting swept out of first and second rounds.

In an alternate reality, Mike's not sticking to the 2010 Cavs under Dan Gilbert either, if indeed he sticks around till then.. Forget coming back to a 27 win team trying to win one for the Land. This is a guy who cared about Republicans buying shoes. That's 11 years of prime down the drain. He had problems with that Bulls front office. Imagine the meltdown/s he'd be having with his own Charlotte Hornets as a star player.

A lot of luck, help, effort and talent go into it. It's not freaking tennis or badminton, where you can win on your own.

Sent from my SM-G960W using RealGM mobile app

Real life evidence doesn't at all support this notion of yours that Jordan, under the same circumstances as LeBron, would've bolted Cleveland in 2010 under Dan Gilbert. In fact, it would suggest the opposite of what you opine to what Jordan would have done in this alternate universe you cite. Allow me to explain.

The LeBron James lead Cleveland Cavilers won 66 games in 2009 and 61 games in 2010 and had the #1 overall seed in the league above all other teams in both conferences. both seasons before getting upset in the postseason on both occasions; Orlando in 2009 in the ECF, who would go on to lose to the Lakers in the finals, and Boston in 2010, who would go on to lose to the Lakers in the finals. It was after the 2010 season that LeBron left Cleveland for what he felt were greener pastures in Miami in joining up with Wade and Bosh.

In 1988 Jordan's Bulls won 50 games and were seeded 3rd in the eastern conference. After beating the Cavs in rd 1 they lost to the eventual eastern conference champion #2 seeded Detroit Pistons in 5 games. The next season in 1989 the Bulls won 47 games and were the 6th seed in the eastern conf. They upset 3rd seeded Cleveland in round 1 and then went on to upset the the 2nd seeded NY Knicks in rd 2 before bowing out to the Pistons again, this time in the ECF, and this time with Detroit as the #1 seed, the same Pistons who would go on to win sweep the Lakers in the finals. Then the following season in 1990, the Bulls won 55 games, good for the 3rd seed in the east. After beating Milwaukee in rd 1 the Bulls took out the 2nd seeded Sixers. Then once again, for the 3rd straight season, the Bulls once again would go down to the Pistons, with Detroit again as the #1 seed and again in the ECF, this time in 7 games. I don't need to tell you what happened the next season beginning in 1991 and then all the seasons after that.

I provide this information to point out the poor logic to your hypothetical claim.

Because what your claim is, is that Jordan, had he been in LeBron's position in 2010, after leading his squad to the best record in the entire NBA with 66 wins in '09 and 61 in '10 for two consecutive seasons, before getting taken out both seasons to two non-title winning teams, he would have assuredly bolted Cleveland to join forces elsewhere just like LeBron had....

And you make this hypothetical claim in spite of the fact that the real Michael Jordan in real life, a guy who played on a squad who mustered up the 50 win 3rd seed, 47 win 6th seed, and 55 win 3rd seed in his own conference for three years running, losing to the same squad each time, a squad lost in the finals in 7 one year and crushed their western conference foe in the finals in the next two seasons; and yet in spite of not being able to breakthrough with the best record in the league in any of those seasons or anything close to it, and in spite of losing to the same damn team each time in the playoffs - and a dynastic team no less - not for 2 straight seasons with the Bulls anywhere near the #1 overall seed, but for three straight seasons with the Bulls nowhere near the #1 overall seed....the real life Michael Jordan, in spite of all of that working against him, stayed put, continued to go to work until he got over the hump

And you're going to tell me that this same Michael Jordan fella leaves Cleveland after 2010 after having won won 66 in '09 and 61 in '10 with the best record in the entire NBA both seasons, two years on a row, losing to good but not great non-title winning squads, in a conference landscape with no potential beasts or potential dynastic squads other than, I dunno, his own damn team, ya'know, the same squad who already had the best record in the NBA for two years running....just gets up and waives the white flag at that point and bolts his two-time 60+ win squad team he had shaped and the organization who had drafted him, to go and join up on some other team with other great players elsewhere!?

Do you see how foolish of a take this is on your part? Do you not know anything about Michael Jordan? Your hypothetical take is illogical sir. It's as if you disregard and ignore every actual thing that was a part of Michael Jordan's make-up. He was as stubborn of a fighter and competitor as there's ever been.

The general notion that the Cleveland situation as being some impossible situation to win in is preposterous. They had the #1 overall seed in the NBA for two consecutive years when LeBron left for Chrissakes. How can anyone believe that a team like never stood a chance to ever really compete for or win a title?? It's ridiculous.

Would Jordan have bolted Cleveland in 2010 under the same set of circumstances as LeBron? No, he would have done no such thing. No a shot in hell. Not in this world, not in that world, not in any.
Coco Costanza
Analyst
And1: 5,951

Post#1102 » by Coco Costanza » Mon May 18, 2020 7:37 pm

The Rodzilla wrote:
Coco Costanza wrote:To me a super team is a team that goes out and signs multiple all stars. The Warriors drafted three future stars fare and square. But then they went out and signed Kevin Durant, already a superstar, and later Boogie Cousins.

The Bulls, on the other hand, drafted just MJ and Pippen (technically Pippen was traded for on draft night). People talk about Pippen as if he was a savior who came to rescue the Bulls, and not a player who blossomed into a great player as he was playing for the Bulls.

Cartwright? Harper? Neither one of those guys were all stars. Neither was Kukoc, as good as he was.

The idea that the Bulls was the biggest super team, or a super team at all, is ludicrous.

why do the players need to be signed in order for it to be a super team?

Well, what is a super team? It's a team comprised of at least three superstars. It's players saying "Hey, I'm a superstar, and you're a superstar, let's team up!". The Warriors were fortunate enough to draft future star players like Steph and Clay (and to a lesser extent Draymond). But they also added superstars in Durant and Cousins, two already elite players.

The 90's Bulls didn't do that. They were great teams, but they weren't comprised of more than two superstars, and they weren't adding more superstars through trades or signings. Because if the Bulls are considered a superteam, then any team in the league that has two all stars is a superstar. Last seasons Raptors were a superteam, by this logic.
Antinomy wrote:Bucks are going to win the next 2 games (convincingly). This place is gonna be a wasteland :lol:

In the words of Charles Barkley: I Guar-RUN-tee.

You are all welcome to sig me.
dWadeOwnzYou
Pro Prospect
And1: 538

Post#1103 » by dWadeOwnzYou » Mon May 18, 2020 9:46 pm

I’m a long time Chicago resident since the early 90s as a kid and have grown to watching the Bulls through out the years. My take on Scottie Pippen is that he is neither underrated or overrated. He is what he is, a very good player that started out playing under a system that utilized his young talent really well. Eventually he became good enough as an all around player due to his versatility, height and wingspan.

He was a consistent player with great versatilities but my knock on him was that he rarely shows up in clutch moments and is not considered to be clutch overall. He was a front runner...does good things when the team is ahead but when the team starts to fall behind, he would disappear, letting Jordan and the role players bringing the team back. An example of this was his horrible free throw attempts in late game situation. I don’t even remember Phil Jackson drawing up any late game plays for him during the 94-95 season without Jordan. They actually had a pretty good record that year too. Lets not forget his disappearing act during the 4th quarter of the 2000 Finals where he was traded to the Portland Trail Blazers.

He was the perfect Robin to Jordan because of the intangibles that he brings to the team. That’s why he fit so well only to be strengthen by his great defense. As an individual player, he is good but not great, but he does excel playing under a team concept, to a point where he is playing better then what he really was. Playing along side Jordan where he gets all of the attention will do that to you. I believe the only people that overrates him are the ones that are trying to devalue Jordan as a player to make a claim that this X player is better when being compared to MJ. Mind you, Jordan probably wouldn’t win a lot of rings without Pippen. No super star in the league can win by themselves without another all-star caliber player at the minimum. I also blame the “Last Dance” doc for making the narratives that Pippen is this super star that is underpaid. While there is truth to this and that he IS underpaid yes, but just not in the same term relatively to other super star in the league of the 90s.
California Gold
Starter
And1: 2,683

Post#1104 » by California Gold » Mon May 18, 2020 9:56 pm

lazybatman wrote:
Lucky Clover wrote:
LoveMyRaps wrote:
Read on Twitter
/photo/1

ESPN is a joke...

What seems to be the problem? They polled 600 people for a topic that people seem to bring up 24/7 around this doc and social media sites like this one.

It's only a 600 person sample size but just emphasizes that the majority of people find MJ to be greater. It's all an opinion anyway regardless of which side you take. This is a lot better than the insecure LeBron fans that have tore this thread apart while most of us are just trying to discuss the documentary itself.
And Air Jordan sold more shoes last year - 2019, than the top 7 NBA current superstars who have signature shoes. It's a popularity contest, not facts.

Facts? What facts are you going to use in a segment like that which we don't already know?

It's not really a popularity contest -- I think it's just a random sample size of people who were asked who they found to be a better basketball player. The whole topic between LeBron, Magic, Kareem, Jordan, Russell, Wilt, etc comes down to opinion. All of these players are greats and you can put all of their "facts" on paper and they all have a great resume. This topic is always going to come down to opinion, so again I don't really see anything wrong with it. There's not much more they could've done short of not doing it at all.
ClutchUp
Junior
And1: 121

Post#1105 » by ClutchUp » Mon May 18, 2020 10:13 pm

Reinsdorf's explanation at the end was so cringe worthy. I felt bad for MJ just having to listen to that nonsense.
J___Av
Junior
And1: 454

Post#1106 » by J___Av » Mon May 18, 2020 10:28 pm

The Rodzilla wrote:
-TheDocOfDenial wrote:
The Rodzilla wrote:
don't worry about the Rodzilla, you should be more worried about the Jordan propaganda channel ESPN

Thats funny when ESPN hypes up what LeBron ate for breakfast and turns into a stat to prop him up. The LeBron fanbase melting down like Chernobyl has been the best part about this documantry.

ESPN is the worldwide leader in LeBron hate even after skip bayless left

btw I hate how people claim that opposition having a meltdown means something, like Nazi germany probably claimed that the decent people in the country at the time were having a meltdown about all the propaganda and government policies but of course they were correct to have a meltdown

LeBron fans are correct to have a meltdown about ESPN, the jordan industrial complex media outlet with talking heads to rival fox news

You are either Jordan (maybe Kobe?) fan trolling to make Lebron fans look stupid, or unbelievably insecure about Lebron
Mind_Odyssey
Analyst
And1: 4,957

Post#1107 » by Mind_Odyssey » Mon May 18, 2020 10:29 pm

Is it fair or unfair to say Scottie needing to get paid is what ended the Bulls dynasty?

I think if you keep him, MJ, and Rodman’s corpse, you win in 99’
J___Av
Junior
And1: 454

Post#1108 » by J___Av » Mon May 18, 2020 10:54 pm

lazybatman wrote:
Sprewell4Three wrote:
Mr.Raptorsingh wrote:I wonder if this doc will dissuade current and future players in the league to team up and form "Super Teams" in the name of legacy. I don't know, I just think the the arch of a great player's career seems far more interesting when they go through these trials and tribulations in reaching the mountain top, and out of it, a docuseries like this can emerge.

But, I'll say, that it depends on the organizations these players are in as well, in surrounding them with the right supporting cast to be able to reach that brass ring.

Exactly it’s more interesting when players finally get over the hump and reach the mountain top instead of taking the easy way out. I’m looking at you KD and Lebron!
That's so cute.. Ignorance is indeed bliss.

Chicago Bulls was the biggest super team of them all. Bigger than the KD+Warriors.

GOAT
An all time top 25 player as a sidekick. 6 time all defensive team. Top two MVP candidate in Mike's absence.
7 time rebounding Champion. DPOY. Already a champion, who, most importantly, knew his role.
Easily a top 3 all time coach, if not no. 1
Harper, Cartwright, Kukoc..

Bulls we're just built by an extremely competent Front Office, which Mike may not personally like, but that doesn't change facts.

Mike wins ZERO rings playing for his own Charlotte Hornets today. ZERO!!!

When you start lying to try prove a point, how do you expect anyone to take you seriously? In no **** way did Scottie EVER finish top 2 in MVP voting. He was 7th in 95 and his highest finish in 94 was way behind David Robinson for the #2 spot

And LOL at you saying that team is more talented that the team with

Two time MVP and greatest shooter ever
Best (or second) best player in the NBA, MVP, 4 time scoring champ
5 time All Star and second greatest shooter ever
DPOY, 3 time All Star, 3 time first all defensive team who most importantly, knew his role
2015 finals MVP and maybe the best 6th man in the league
And might as well add Cousins since you are counting 6PPG players for the Bulls

And Cartwright didn't even play with Rodman you dumb ****

STRIKE: Personal attack
Stop insulting other posters. If you're attacked, report the post and let the moderators handle it.
-Sammy
kingmalaki
Pro Prospect
And1: 119

Post#1109 » by kingmalaki » Mon May 18, 2020 11:21 pm

A team with:

- arguably the best player ever (HOF)
- a top 5 SF ever (HOF)
- one of the best rebounders and defenders in league history (HOF)
- guys like Kukoc and Harper taking lesser roles
- arguably the best coach ever (HOF)

is not a superteam, in an era where the 3rd bets players on their opponents are the likes of Jeff Hornacek or Byron Russell? That's pretty funny. The 96-98 Bulls were clearly a superteam, no matter how they were put together.
Tracymcgoaty
RealGM
And1: 16,158

Post#1110 » by Tracymcgoaty » Mon May 18, 2020 11:22 pm

Review of the last dance: I liked that we got to know about the security guard Gus.
Raul
“The other day I saw one of his games. He was running with the ball at a hundred per cent full speed, I don’t know how many touches he took, maybe five or six, but the ball was glued to his foot. It’s practically impossible.”
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,429

Post#1111 » by Repeat 3-peat » Mon May 18, 2020 11:39 pm

Tracymcgoaty wrote:Review of the last dance: I liked that we got to know about the security guard Gus.

Agreed. That was a good story. Also nice knowing that MJ paid for his medical expenses when he got sick.
twyzted
Sixth Man
And1: 2,182

Post#1112 » by twyzted » Tue May 19, 2020 12:41 am

I just finished watching the last 2 episodes.
For me this is the greatest sports documentary i have seen. Im not from america so i got nba action 1 a week and on sundays 1 cut down game from the week before and ofcourse semi finals and finals were shown live. I remember when in the spring most of the kids where showing up to school 2-3 hours after the 91-98 finals looking like ghosts because we stayed up all night.
So much of this was new to me outside of clips here and there i had never seen much of mj, phil, rodman or pippen outside of the court. I thought it was great to see my childhood hero as a human.
I had no idea that they had this much following where people gathered outside of their hotel to just see them.
Ohh do i miss those times. I loved it but i could have watched 10 more.
Pennebaker wrote:Jordan lacks LeBron's mental toughness.
lazybatman
Sixth Man
And1: 876

Post#1113 » by lazybatman » Tue May 19, 2020 1:21 am

J___Av wrote:
lazybatman wrote:
Sprewell4Three wrote:
Exactly it’s more interesting when players finally get over the hump and reach the mountain top instead of taking the easy way out. I’m looking at you KD and Lebron!
That's so cute.. Ignorance is indeed bliss.

Chicago Bulls was the biggest super team of them all. Bigger than the KD+Warriors.

GOAT
An all time top 25 player as a sidekick. 6 time all defensive team. Top two MVP candidate in Mike's absence.
7 time rebounding Champion. DPOY. Already a champion, who, most importantly, knew his role.
Easily a top 3 all time coach, if not no. 1
Harper, Cartwright, Kukoc..

Bulls we're just built by an extremely competent Front Office, which Mike may not personally like, but that doesn't change facts.

Mike wins ZERO rings playing for his own Charlotte Hornets today. ZERO!!!

When you start lying to try prove a point, how do you expect anyone to take you seriously? In no **** way did Scottie EVER finish top 2 in MVP voting. He was 7th in 95 and his highest finish in 94 was way behind David Robinson for the #2 spot So he was 3rd. I didn't check records.. boohoo.. It's definitely not as ridiculous as calling Iggy 6th man of the year when he didn't win it. And that finals MVP is easily the most bogus MVP ever in the history of all sports.

And LOL at you saying that team is more talented that the team with

Two time MVP and greatest shooter ever vs 2 time DPOY; 7 time rebounding Champ; Already a champion
Best (or second) best player in the NBA, MVP, 4 time scoring champvs the best player ever; 5X MVP; 6X finals MVP, without joining a 73 win team that he lost to last year after being up 3-1; 10X Scoring Champ; DPOY; 3X Steals Leader; 10X All NBA 1st Team; 9X All Defensive Team; need I go on.. Mike would've made your so called best player cry and quit basketball just taunting him to man the f*ck up
5 time All Star and second greatest shooter evervs Scottie Pippen - mad respect to Klay's shooting and defensive tenacity, but Scottie is a top 25 player, a better defender(10X All defensive team) and playmaker. They're not in the same league.
DPOY, 3 time All Star, 3 time first all defensive team who most importantly, knew his rolevs Toni Kukoc(that dude you listed is an 8-6-6 guy this season without the 2 greatest shooters & KD to pass the ball to
2015 finals MVP and maybe the best 6th man in the league haha.. whose lying now.. the best 6th man in the league, really.. He won MVP averaging 16-4-5 in that series cos they couldn't give it to Lebron out of convention, and the Splash Bros were **** their pants against Lebron & 6 ball boys(that included JR Smith. And before you run your mouth about Iggy's otherworldly defense, he contained Bron to 36-9-13.. OUCH!!!)
And might as well add Cousins since you are counting 6PPG players for the Bulls sure.. why not. Let's do Cousins vs Phil Jackson, the arguable GOAT of coaches

And Cartwright didn't even play with Rodman you dumb ****Neither did Harper.. What's your point dumdum? :lol: :lol:

Which one of these are you winning you dumb ignorant ****? Maybe Kukoc vs Draymond.. maybe..

The second 3-peat Bulls are the best team ever in every f*cking way. Bulls 3/3 vs Warriors 3/5(including the 2015 Cavs injuries; 2018 CP3 hamstring and 2016 KD & Russ choke). Bulls never went to game 7, remember.

Don't site meaningless crap to glorify Mike and disrespect his team mates or Lebron. He doesn't need it. He is the GOAT cos of what he did, and not stuff you make up. He wasn't the greatest human being, the greatest team mate, the greatest passer or GOD! Just the best, most accomplished basketball player ever.

Mike should focus on winning with the Hornets, rather than ordering documentaries be made cos the Cleveland Parade made him feel insecure(although I did enjoy every bit). It could've been called "Micheal Jordan - The Greatest Ever" or "His Royal Airness and friends" or "Mike>Lebron" more appropriately rather than "The last dance". And you lot should appreciate Lebron, cos there won't be another player like him again either.

STRIKE: Personal attack
Stop insulting other posters. If you're attacked, report the post and let the moderators handle it.
-Sammy
Sgt Major
Head Coach
And1: 14,967

Post#1114 » by Sgt Major » Tue May 19, 2020 1:39 am

Tracymcgoaty wrote:Review of the last dance: I liked that we got to know about the security guard Gus.
Read on Twitter
?s=19
Det. Frank Pembleton: You know, sometimes you're funny. Then there's now.
The Rodzilla
Starter
And1: 2,332

Post#1115 » by The Rodzilla » Tue May 19, 2020 2:07 am

Coco Costanza wrote:
The Rodzilla wrote:
Coco Costanza wrote:To me a super team is a team that goes out and signs multiple all stars. The Warriors drafted three future stars fare and square. But then they went out and signed Kevin Durant, already a superstar, and later Boogie Cousins.

The Bulls, on the other hand, drafted just MJ and Pippen (technically Pippen was traded for on draft night). People talk about Pippen as if he was a savior who came to rescue the Bulls, and not a player who blossomed into a great player as he was playing for the Bulls.

Cartwright? Harper? Neither one of those guys were all stars. Neither was Kukoc, as good as he was.

The idea that the Bulls was the biggest super team, or a super team at all, is ludicrous.

why do the players need to be signed in order for it to be a super team?

Well, what is a super team? It's a team comprised of at least three superstars. It's players saying "Hey, I'm a superstar, and you're a superstar, let's team up!". The Warriors were fortunate enough to draft future star players like Steph and Clay (and to a lesser extent Draymond). But they also added superstars in Durant and Cousins, two already elite players.

The 90's Bulls didn't do that. They were great teams, but they weren't comprised of more than two superstars, and they weren't adding more superstars through trades or signings. Because if the Bulls are considered a superteam, then any team in the league that has two all stars is a superstar. Last seasons Raptors were a superteam, by this logic.

dennis rodman was a superstar hall of famer and he was added to the team

but it doesn't matter how they are formed, if 3 ordinary role players have a great training session and suddenly improve to become hall of fame level players overnight then the team is a super team, it will just take longer for it to be recognised by the judges on espn and the fans
The Rodzilla
Starter

Post#1116 » by The Rodzilla » Tue May 19, 2020 2:12 am

also I think how it relates to other teams should be included, like in this era of team building a super team should be a higher standard

but in the 60's a super team was any team that had wilt chamberlain and 1 decent support player
Air Apparent
Rookie
And1: 1,239

Post#1117 » by Air Apparent » Tue May 19, 2020 3:27 am

rodman was never a "superstar" wth lol

is ben wallace a superstar too? because lebron added him as well :lol:
basketball is a team sport
The Rodzilla
Starter

Post#1118 » by The Rodzilla » Tue May 19, 2020 3:35 am

Air Apparent wrote:rodman was never a "superstar" wth lol

he has all the ingredients of a superstar, he banged the Madonna, he is in the movies, he is in the hall of fame, he grabs all the rebounds etc
Quattro
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,705

Post#1119 » by Quattro » Tue May 19, 2020 3:48 am

Just caught the final two episodes. Had a great time watching this series. Not only watching the basketball heroes of my youth again but the behind the scenes footage too. That MJ/Bird smack talking for example killed me.
prolific passer
Analyst
And1: 1,264

Post#1120 » by prolific passer » Tue May 19, 2020 3:59 am

Air Apparent wrote:rodman was never a "superstar" wth lol

Ummm how was Rodman and Ben Wallace not superstars?

Return to The General Board