Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,898

Re: GT: Nets vs. Blazers & The NBA Playoffs- Thurs. 8/13/20 9:00pm EST 

Post#241 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:29 pm

7footMONSTER wrote:
Read on Twitter

DMC is a Net for life as far as I'm concerned.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#242 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:31 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Prok, I'm totally with you on being skeptical that we will see this level of play from LeVert full time going forward.

However, comparing him to Marquis Teague is really bad bro. Come on man :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We know that LeVert can ball. Can he stay healthy? be consistent? become more efficient? these are valid concerns.

But Marquis Teague :lol: :lol: :lol:

He isnt Marquis teague. Marquis teague is a scrub. my point was people need to stop demanding he is an efficient scorer while post efficiency similar to what marquis teague posted.

I'm actually a levert fan. im the guy defending him when many hated him early on because they were pissed we traded thad young and levert turned it over a ton early.

the guy is an excellent role player, can step up for stretches, great teammate, and does have potential if healthy. but people put him on this pedestal as some fringe all-star and untraceable asset. which is tough to defend when the guys scores 18 points on 16 shots with a 51 TS%.

Levert would get a ton more universal love here if people didnt homer stan him like he is comporable to like siakim or tatum or one of the actual young all-star types

Yeah, I think overall there needs to be some patience because we don't know what to expect next season when he will be...the 3rd option at best.

GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#243 » by GTR11 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:34 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
The fact that LeVert benefiting right now with little tweaks in our style of play don't seem to be well comprehended among few. Take a look at his shot selections.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#244 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:38 pm

GTR11 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20
The fact that LeVert benefiting right now with little tweaks in our style of play don't seem to be well comprehended among few. Take a look at his shot selections.

He looks unstoppable in the mid range.

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#245 » by Prokorov » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:39 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
Read on Twitter

I would like to know who are the guys rumored in a trade that does this type play over an entire season other than Beal. [/quote]

The 3 guys we have seen rumored for levert are beal, lavine, and Holiday:

Lavine: 25/5/4 this year, 24/5/4 last year
Jrue: 21/8/6 last year while making All-NBA defensive team, 19/7/5 and likel all-nba defense this year
Beal: 30/6/4 this year, 26/5/5 last year

So beal and Lavine have both done what "Bubble Levert" has done over a full year. and Holiday is only short on the points but while taking 4 less shots a game than bubble levert and also making the all-nba defensive team.

We literally seen Levert lead this team , with 5 d league players as you like to call them, to probably the best run we've had all season. I just don't know how that doesn't excite you. Who would you rather us get for himm other than Beal or Jrue?

It does excite me. an 8 game sample just doesnt undo the 200+ games of inconsistent inefficient play. you can go micro or macro and look at samples and splits and its tough to find many 10+ game stretches where he is efficient. He is a volume scorer, and there is a place for that. Guys like clarkson for instance help alot of teams and i think he is better than clarkson. I'm excited with what he has done. its just hard to have a discussion about him when anytime he has a stretch of good games he is all of a sudden an all-star.

I think people need to look at the east all-stars the last 2 years or even the all-star snubs and realize that levert isnt on that level. which despite the response here, is not a knock on levert. levert can still be a really solid/good player without being an all-star.

Here is a list of guys who were NOT all-stars this year:
-Beal
-LAvine
-Jaylen Brown
-Malcolm Brogdon
-Donte Graham

Those guys all have significantly better resumes than levert. here are the actuall all-stars at G/W

-Trae Young
-Kemba Walker
-Siakim
-Tatum
-Butler
-Ben Simmons
-Kyle Lowry

I dont think it is some massive knock to say levert is not in the calibur of the guys who made the all-star team or to say his is not as good as the 4 top snubs. and if you want to point to injury there are several more guys you could add to this list like Kyrie, Oladipo, Wall,

What makes levert better than guys like TJ Warren or terry rozier?
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 659

Post#246 » by NetsJets » Fri Aug 14, 2020 1:51 pm

Good game good effort.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#247 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:39 pm

MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#248 » by MGrand15 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:06 pm

I was impressed by how we handled Portland's bigs. I thought we were going to get blown out because of their size. We got kinda lucky with our schedule and didn't have to deal with bigs that could destroy us inside. Our bench - with Rodi in foul trouble + possibly on a minutes limit since he hasn't gotten any rest - was just too small. But when all of our guys were in - Rodi and JA were battling and holding their own.

Collins did absolutely nothing. JV went with a weird strategy to put our PF on whoever their center was. I'm guessing it was to slow down the Dame/Nurk PNR and bait Portland into throwing it down into the low post. Worked pretty damn well until we had to start trapping Dame at half court.

I like the creativity though. I was worried that when Kenny left that JV would go with a more traditional way of defending. Starting in the bubble, we really stuck to man to man and switching a lot. Recently, we've played weird zones, trapped full court a bit, trapped Dame. I like it.

Toronto is pretty damn big with Siakam, Gasol, and Ibaka. Their guards are good enough so we can't let those bigs just feast inside. This was a good test. Scoring on them is gonna be a huge problem but if we can keep their front court in check, we should be able to compete.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#249 » by MGrand15 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:19 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Prok, I'm totally with you on being skeptical that we will see this level of play from LeVert full time going forward.

However, comparing him to Marquis Teague is really bad bro. Come on man :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We know that LeVert can ball. Can he stay healthy? be consistent? become more efficient? these are valid concerns.

But Marquis Teague :lol: :lol: :lol:

He isnt Marquis teague. Marquis teague is a scrub. my point was people need to stop demanding he is an efficient scorer while post efficiency similar to what marquis teague posted.

I'm actually a levert fan. im the guy defending him when many hated him early on because they were pissed we traded thad young and levert turned it over a ton early.

the guy is an excellent role player, can step up for stretches, great teammate, and does have potential if healthy. but people put him on this pedestal as some fringe all-star and untraceable asset. which is tough to defend when the guys scores 18 points on 16 shots with a 51 TS%.

Levert would get a ton more universal love here if people didnt homer stan him like he is comporable to like siakim or tatum or one of the actual young all-star types

This never happened. LeVert's been loved here since he played his first game. His nickname was LeSavior. You just started hating him when you saw how much love he was getting.

DLo was just as inefficient his first 4 years in the league and he got embarrassed in the playoffs. Never saw you get so worked up about people calling him a potential all star. It definitely didn't derail every single game thread when we were making a playoff push. And if you want to argue this is strictly about whether LeVert has been efficient or not - you've been having the same discussion with the same guy over and over about that.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#250 » by DarkXaero » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:29 pm

GTR11 wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:This 100%. Seriously, I don't get it, its been pointed out for like the last 4 game threads. Why is there so much insecurity? Everyone is (rightfully) praising Levert in the game thread for a great performance, and no one has mentioned anything about trade value or anything. As fans of the same team, do you think that it kills me inside every time Levert has a great game, just because of the silly arguments here? I don't feel the need to say "I told you so" every single time, and I don't know why these guys do either, when it has no place in the game thread. Nothing would make me happier to see a guy we drafted at the start of the Marks era to become the third star to our two established stars, and bring a championship to Brooklyn. This isn't a competition, my guy.

Its not about saying I told you so.

Its about dispelling a silly myth you guys keep spreading about LeVert being an "inefficient player" and not capable of being a Third Star. Hes proven it time and time again when healthy. Hes just has had injury problems.

The narrative is dying and now.

:lol: at this point you just rubbing it in. He refusing to admit the fact LeVert taking it to another level. I'm hard on Allen but if he'll show me something during this PO series I'll have to reconsider a lot of things and direction we should take.
Let him be, he's in denial right now. Doing best Prok impersonation.
No one's denying that Levert hasn't improved certain aspects of his game. But right now, we're seeing everything go through Levert, and all of the work is on high usage, primary ballhandling duties. There's nothing there to tell me that this will work next to Kyrie & KD.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#251 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:45 pm

MGrand15 wrote:I was impressed by how we handled Portland's bigs. I thought we were going to get blown out because of their size. We got kinda lucky with our schedule and didn't have to deal with bigs that could destroy us inside. Our bench - with Rodi in foul trouble + possibly on a minutes limit since he hasn't gotten any rest - was just too small. But when all of our guys were in - Rodi and JA were battling and holding their own.

Collins did absolutely nothing. JV went with a weird strategy to put our PF on whoever their center was. I'm guessing it was to slow down the Dame/Nurk PNR and bait Portland into throwing it down into the low post. Worked pretty damn well until we had to start trapping Dame at half court.

I like the creativity though. I was worried that when Kenny left that JV would go with a more traditional way of defending. Starting in the bubble, we really stuck to man to man and switching a lot. Recently, we've played weird zones, trapped full court a bit, trapped Dame. I like it.

Toronto is pretty damn big with Siakam, Gasol, and Ibaka. Their guards are good enough so we can't let those bigs just feast inside. This was a good test. Scoring on them is gonna be a huge problem but if we can keep their front court in check, we should be able to compete.

Whiteside gave us some issues last night but overall i thought we did well.

Toronto's size scares me, ngl. I am just hoping we can get 1 win out of this

Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,248

Post#252 » by Papi_swav » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:51 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:
Read on Twitter

I would like to know who are the guys rumored in a trade that does this type play over an entire season other than Beal.

The 3 guys we have seen rumored for levert are beal, lavine, and Holiday:

Lavine: 25/5/4 this year, 24/5/4 last year
Jrue: 21/8/6 last year while making All-NBA defensive team, 19/7/5 and likel all-nba defense this year
Beal: 30/6/4 this year, 26/5/5 last year

So beal and Lavine have both done what "Bubble Levert" has done over a full year. and Holiday is only short on the points but while taking 4 less shots a game than bubble levert and also making the all-nba defensive team.

We literally seen Levert lead this team , with 5 d league players as you like to call them, to probably the best run we've had all season. I just don't know how that doesn't excite you. Who would you rather us get for himm other than Beal or Jrue?

It does excite me. an 8 game sample just doesnt undo the 200+ games of inconsistent inefficient play. you can go micro or macro and look at samples and splits and its tough to find many 10+ game stretches where he is efficient. He is a volume scorer, and there is a place for that. Guys like clarkson for instance help alot of teams and i think he is better than clarkson. I'm excited with what he has done. its just hard to have a discussion about him when anytime he has a stretch of good games he is all of a sudden an all-star.

I think people need to look at the east all-stars the last 2 years or even the all-star snubs and realize that levert isnt on that level. which despite the response here, is not a knock on levert. levert can still be a really solid/good player without being an all-star.

Here is a list of guys who were NOT all-stars this year:
-Beal
-LAvine
-Jaylen Brown
-Malcolm Brogdon
-Donte Graham

Those guys all have significantly better resumes than levert. here are the actuall all-stars at G/W

-Trae Young
-Kemba Walker
-Siakim
-Tatum
-Butler
-Ben Simmons
-Kyle Lowry

I dont think it is some massive knock to say levert is not in the calibur of the guys who made the all-star team or to say his is not as good as the 4 top snubs. and if you want to point to injury there are several more guys you could add to this list like Kyrie, Oladipo, Wall,

What makes levert better than guys like TJ Warren or terry rozier?[/quote]
I feel like he can definitely put up Lavines numbers if he had his own team, and this stretch of games definitely proved that. You know it's easier to put up good numbers on a bad team when you have the ball most the time and can take all the shots you wanted. Granted, Lavine efficiency is better , and I hate to bring up the injuries Levert has suffered but that is a legit argument. It takes Levert a little while to shake the rust off coming back from injuries.. we seen how well he plays at the end of the season these past couple years.

Lavine puts up 25/5/4, Levert put up 19/4/4 this season. Lavine put up 25 points on 20 shots. Levert put up 19 points on 16 shots. I feel like if Levert put up 20 shots he will definitely be closer to Lavine, probably average 23 points a game or so. I think you can understand this part fairly well and you would probably agree with this.

Levert had to share the ball with Kyrie until they went down, then Din. Din had the ball most of the times. Lavine isn't sharing the ball with anybody really.

Look at the way he played this game, breaking down the defense so easily, getting to the rim at will, and the way he hits his mid range jumpers, that's all star level play IMO, that meets the eye test. He stood toe to toe with Dame Lilliard which is probably the best PG in the game. And this was a desperation game for Blazers. Levert has that "it" factor.

Now, it is going to be very tough for Levert when all these guys come back next year. I'm interested to see how he plays because we all know it's going to be tough for him to get the ball with KD/Kyrie here.

But you can make the same argument for Lavine or Beal. You don't think it's going to be hard for those guys to play 3rd fiddle ? We seen how John Wall effects Beals level of play, once Wall went down Beal had all the shots he wanted and his numbers jumped. Same with Lavine, he played ok with Towns but now in Chicago he is the man. Both those guys are the man on their own team, and led both of their teams to 20 something wins each. I think Levert can do the same had he had his own team, if not better.

This is what I mean when i tell you, stats and advanced numbers aren't the end all be all. There's more that goes into it then that and stats doesn't tell everything. I'm not saying Levert is better than those guys or if he's better than the all star guys, but I think his name can definitely be right up there with the fringe all star guys like Donte Graham, Brogdon, Lavine etc.. I think many guys here can agree to this.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#253 » by DarkXaero » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:52 pm

I thought Allen struggled in the first half and I felt that he needed to step up in the second half. And he absolutely did. He didn't have much help at all on the glass but he still grabbed a bunch of big rebounds down the stretch. 14 pts, 11 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 blocks, +16. That's a very good statline, and we struggled hard when he wasn't on the floor.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#254 » by TheNetsFan » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:50 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

He should be unstoppable in the mid range. When you're a PG that is at least 6'6", long, and has the elevation and hang time he has, he should be able to get a clean mid-range look over just about any opposing guard in the league (save for bigger freaks like Ben Simmons). We saw it with DLo last year, but LeVert is even longer & more athletic. The strict adherence to analytics, specifically 3s and layups, makes sense when you lack talent as it maximizes what you have. However, when you have height/athleticism advantages, you need to exploit them as much as possible. Those advantages are diminished behind the arc. Shooting 53% from 2 (especially with the increased likelihood of drawing fouls) is better than shooting 35% from 3.
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#255 » by Claud » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:36 pm

Reading the same people trash on Caris time and time again gets tiring af.

We get it, we've read the same thing for the last 3 years.

There's nothing wrong with having an opinion but at this point maybe the Mods need to step in and create a Levert vs Din vs trade thread or something because reading the same takes for the 1000th time in every thread feels like a waste of time.

I wish we could just enjoy one of our own guys finally becoming the player A LOT of us Nets fans thought he could be.

Can we just enjoy Caris becoming a killer in the league?
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

GT: Nets vs. Blazers & The NBA Playoffs- Thurs. 8/13/20 9:00pm EST 

Post#256 » by Paradise » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:40 pm

Claud wrote:Reading the same people trash on Caris time and time again gets tiring af.

There's nothing wrong with having an opinion but at this point maybe the Mods need to step in and create a Levert vs Din vs trade thread or something because reading the same takes for the 1000th time in every thread feels like a waste of time.

I wish we could just enjoy one of our own guys finally becoming the player A LOT of us Nets fans thought he could be.

Of course not.

We must complain and complain about him. Watch him get traded to a new team and then, complain about who’s replacing him when we lose two or three games in a row.

I should start bumping some of those hilarious D-Lo posts when he was dealt here, when he was developing and when he was scoring 52 for the Warriors while everyone got “tired” of Kyrie in 5 games.

Bi-poplar and clout level ****
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#257 » by DarkXaero » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:53 pm

Claud wrote:Reading the same people trash on Caris time and time again gets tiring af.

I'm not the one derailing every thread with this stuff. Every game thread, someone feels the need to say "Levert haters blah blah blah", when in fact no one is hating in the thread. It's seriously insecure and petty. So blame those people for doing that in every thread.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#258 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:56 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

He should be unstoppable in the mid range. When you're a PG that is at least 6'6", long, and has the elevation and hang time he has, he should be able to get a clean mid-range look over just about any opposing guard in the league (save for bigger freaks like Ben Simmons). We saw it with DLo last year, but LeVert is even longer & more athletic. The strict adherence to analytics, specifically 3s and layups, makes sense when you lack talent as it maximizes what you have. However, when you have height/athleticism advantages, you need to exploit them as much as possible. Those advantages are diminished behind the arc. Shooting 53% from 2 (especially with the increased likelihood of drawing fouls) is better than shooting 35% from 3.

Vaughn needs to be credited for opening up the floor and allowing him to do more than shoot threes and drive in for lay ups. Being able to do what he's doing may actually keep him on the floor for the bulk of next season because he isn't getting hammered on the way to rim and taking those hard falls any more.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#259 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:58 pm

DarkXaero wrote:I thought Allen struggled in the first half and I felt that he needed to step up in the second half. And he absolutely did. He didn't have much help at all on the glass but he still grabbed a bunch of big rebounds down the stretch. 14 pts, 11 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 blocks, +16. That's a very good statline, and we struggled hard when he wasn't on the floor.

a lot of points that Hasan Whiteside got was because Allen was rotating to help in the lane as well.

Allen has played with fire since the restart. You can't convince me that DeAndre Jordan is better than him right now. Allen's passing is sublime and now adds another weapon to his game.

All Jarrett needs to do now is develop a reliable shot from 12-15 feet.

DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#260 » by DarkXaero » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:01 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:I thought Allen struggled in the first half and I felt that he needed to step up in the second half. And he absolutely did. He didn't have much help at all on the glass but he still grabbed a bunch of big rebounds down the stretch. 14 pts, 11 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 blocks, +16. That's a very good statline, and we struggled hard when he wasn't on the floor.

a lot of points that Hasan Whiteside got was because Allen was rotating to help in the lane as well.

Allen has played with fire since the restart. You can't convince me that DeAndre Jordan is better than him right now. Allen's passing is sublime and now adds another weapon to his game.

All Jarrett needs to do now is develop a reliable shot from 12-15 feet.
I thought DJ was playing better than Allen (at the time) before the season got suspended. Since then DJ hasn't played, so I'm not gonna use that against him. I think Allen improving is great and introduces competition to challenge DJ to be better. If he's not accepting the challenge then he's not worthy of starting over Allen.

Return to Brooklyn Nets