Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Re: Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread 

Post#901 » by BJK1 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:08 pm

MotownMadness wrote:

Lots of Okoro mocked to Detroit lately. I think the Stanley Johnson experience is what scares me as well in the back of my mind like the article states.

Okoro does have a decent looking jumper though so maybe he gets better.

The other player referenced as a possibility at #7 by The Athletic is Pat Williams. He’s not a guy that gets mentioned much (if at all) on this forum. He’ll be one of the youngest players in this draft (I think maybe the second youngest) and is considered pretty raw offensively from what I’ve been reading, but he’s being viewed as a “modern” NBA forward, in that he’s a highly athletic, big bodied guy who has some shot creation ability and is switchable (and vocal) on defense. And he shot at over 80% from the FT line this past season. Like with Vassell, not a huge usage guy, as Leonard Hamilton’s system leans towards load management (22 per for Williams). I recently heard an interview with Hamilton, in which he just raved about Williams for his skill set, maturity, humility, and work ethic.

For a team that’s clearly in a rebuild/restore and that needs talent period, I’m curious what people’s thoughts are on Williams and the potential fit?
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#902 » by rmfc » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:08 pm

Manocad wrote:
rmfc wrote:

If Minny goes with LaMelo with the #1 overall, the Pistons should do their best to go get that the #2 from GSW.

Why? And I mean that in the sense of "Lay out the plan as to why getting the #2 pick this year is a critical move on the path to a championship."

Looks like a trollish post.

Do you have a plan where staying at #7 becomes a critical move on the path to a championship?
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#903 » by MotownMadness » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:18 pm

BJK1 wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:

Lots of Okoro mocked to Detroit lately. I think the Stanley Johnson experience is what scares me as well in the back of my mind like the article states.

The other player referenced as a possibility at #7 by The Athletic is Pat Williams. He’s not a guy that gets mentioned much (if at all) on this forum. He’ll be one of the youngest players in this draft (I think maybe the second youngest) and is considered pretty raw offensively from what I’ve been reading, but he’s being viewed as a “modern” NBA forward, in that he’s a highly athletic, big bodied guy who has some shot creation ability and is switchable (and vocal) on defense. And he shot at over 80% from the FT line this past season. Like with Vassell, not a huge usage guy, as Leonard Hamilton’s system leans towards load management (22 per for Williams). I recently heard an interview with Hamilton, in which he just raved about Williams for his skill set, maturity, humility, and work ethic.

For a team that’s clearly in a rebuild/restore and that needs talent period, I’m curious what people’s thoughts are on Williams and the potential fit?

Yeah I like him and have watched a bit of him. I wouldn't take him at 7 but like him in the range he's usually mocked at at in the 10-14 range.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#904 » by Manocad » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:40 pm

rmfc wrote:
Manocad wrote:
rmfc wrote:
If Minny goes with LaMelo with the #1 overall, the Pistons should do their best to go get that the #2 from GSW.

Why? And I mean that in the sense of "Lay out the plan as to why getting the #2 pick this year is a critical move on the path to a championship."

Do you have a plan where staying at #7 becomes a critical move on the path to a championship?

My post was a simple question. No, I don’t have a plan saying that staying at 7 is part of a calculated path to a championship. But I also am not envisioning a path in which it’s critical for the Pistons to move from 7 to 2 in this draft, which obviously means giving up asset(s) to do so.

You posted it with no context. Don’t get your panties in a bunch just because someone asked for some detail. The only reason I threw the caveat out there about a plan was to hopefully avoid a “Because 2 is better than 7, duh!” (or similar) response.
rmfc
Assistant Coach

Post#905 » by rmfc » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:52 pm

Manocad wrote:
rmfc wrote:
Manocad wrote:Why? And I mean that in the sense of "Lay out the plan as to why getting the #2 pick this year is a critical move on the path to a championship."

My post was a simple question. No, I don’t have a plan saying that staying at 7 is part of a calculated path to a championship. But I also am not envisioning a path in which it’s critical for the Pistons to move from 7 to 2 in this draft, which obviously means giving up asset(s) to do so.

You posted it with no context. Don’t get your panties in a bunch just because someone asked for some detail. The only reason I threw the caveat out there about a plan was to hopefully avoid a “Because 2 is better than 7, duh!” (or similar) response.

#2 can get you Anthony Edwards - the one player that can clearly create offense off the dribble and can score in multiple ways in this draft class. I thought that was obvious for anyone who had been talking about the 2020 draft.

Your question was ridiculously stupid and/or trollish. You could have just asked why I'd prefer the #2 pick instead of whatever garbage you typed up.

Don't get your panties in a bunch if I ask you exactly the same/similar question you'd asked.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#906 » by Manocad » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:24 pm

rmfc wrote:
Manocad wrote:
rmfc wrote:

#2 can get you Anthony Edwards - the one player that can clearly create offense off the dribble and can score in multiple ways in this draft class. I thought that was obvious for anyone who had been talking about the 2020 draft.

Your question was ridiculously stupid and/or trollish. You could have just asked why I'd prefer the #2 pick instead of whatever garbage you typed up.

Don't get your panties in a bunch if I ask you exactly the same/similar question you'd asked.

You still haven’t defined “whatever they can do to get the #2 pick” is and how getting Anthony Edwards after losing whatever assets it takes to get him is a path to a championship. But at least you named the player; I’ll give you that.

You made the assertion. It’s pretty much understood that “What’s the plan with that pick?” (which pretty much translates to “Who do you prefer and why?”) doesn’t qualify as a “ridiculously stupid” question. It seems the “How does this lead to a championship?” part is what’s bothering you and I don’t see how that’s a ridiculously stupid question either.

I’ll accept the answer “Always get the best player available.” Granted, it’s not a plan for a championship but that’s the answer you gave.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,442

Post#907 » by Canadafan » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:25 pm

Read on Twitter
BJK1
Senior

Post#908 » by BJK1 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:32 pm

Canadafan wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yikes!! That doesn’t look good.
rmfc
Assistant Coach

Post#909 » by rmfc » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:33 pm

Manocad wrote:
rmfc wrote:
Manocad wrote:My post was a simple question. No, I don’t have a plan saying that staying at 7 is part of a calculated path to a championship. But I also am not envisioning a path in which it’s critical for the Pistons to move from 7 to 2 in this draft, which obviously means giving up asset(s) to do so.

You still haven’t defined “whatever they can do to get the #2 pick” is and how getting Anthony Edwards after losing whatever assets it takes to get him is a path to a championship. But at least you named the player; I’ll give you that.

You made the assertion. It’s pretty much understood that “What’s the plan with that pick?” (which pretty much translates to “Who do you prefer and why?”) doesn’t qualify as a “ridiculously stupid” question. It seems the “How does this lead to a championship?” part is what’s bothering you and I don’t see how that’s a ridiculously stupid question either.

I’ll accept the answer “Always get the best player available.” Granted, it’s not a plan for a championship but that’s the answer you gave.

You are correct in thinking this is what made no sense in your question..
“How does this lead to a championship?”

It doesn't make any sense because all you are hoping for is to pick the best player available ..and if possible, trade up to get that one player that you think has great potential. How does that one move translate to winning a championship? And even if that was a possibility, wouldn't you want to grab that player in the draft as quickly as possible?
BJK1
Senior

Post#910 » by BJK1 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:46 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
BJK1 wrote:
MotownMadness wrote: Lots of Okoro mocked to Detroit lately. I think the Stanley Johnson experience is what scares me as well in the back of my mind like the article states.

Yeah I like him and have watched a bit of him. I wouldn't take him at 7 but like him in the range he's usually mocked at at in the 10-14 range.

Here’s an interview of Leonard Hamilton regarding Patrick Williams for a Kings website. Obviously it’s his college coach, so take it with a grain of salt, but his assessment of Williams and his skill set is intriguing.

https://www.sactownroyalty.com/2020/9/28/21492766/kings-patrick-williams-fsu-2020-nba-draft
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,666

Post#911 » by Invictus88 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:54 pm

rmfc wrote:
Manocad wrote:
rmfc wrote:

It doesn't make any sense because all you are hoping for is to pick the best player available ..and if possible, trade up to get that one player that you think has great potential. How does that one move translate to winning a championship? And even if that was a possibility, wouldn't you want to grab that player in the draft as quickly as possible?

Nobody is willing to give up something for nothing. Attempting to trade up is usually framed as a team being desperate for a specific player. As such it's more often a losing proposition in terms of value given by the ascending team vs. value received.

We have very little resources to bargain with. So if you are suggesting we potentially overpay and expend those resources we'd better be making significant strides as a franchise as a result.

It's not clear to me that anyone in this draft year will end up accomplishing that. That's the motivation behind the asking of "How does this lead to a championship?" If the answer isn't clear then you probably shouldn't make that move.
BJK1
Senior

Post#912 » by BJK1 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:20 pm

Another write up about Patrick Williams (this time from a Knicks dedicated website) that includes comments from Leonard Hamilton. I’m not advocating for Williams (yet), but he’s an interesting prospect.

https://empiresportsmedia.com/new-york-knicks/new-york-knicks-why-fsus-sixth-man-patrick-williams-is-a-potential-lottery-pick/
rmfc
Assistant Coach

Post#913 » by rmfc » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:28 pm

Invictus88 wrote:
rmfc wrote:
Manocad wrote:You still haven’t defined “whatever they can do to get the #2 pick” is and how getting Anthony Edwards after losing whatever assets it takes to get him is a path to a championship. But at least you named the player; I’ll give you that.

Nobody is willing to give up something for nothing. Attempting to trade up is usually framed as a team being desperate for a specific player. As such it's more often a losing proposition in terms of value given by the ascending team vs. value received.

We have very little resources to bargain with. So if you are suggesting we potentially overpay and expend those resources we'd better be making significant strides as a franchise as a result.

It's not clear to me that anyone in this draft year will end up accomplishing that. That's the motivation behind the asking of "How does this lead to a championship?" If the answer isn't clear then you probably shouldn't make that move.

So if you are suggesting we potentially overpay and expend those resources we'd better be making significant strides as a franchise as a result.

Not sure what overpay means from your perspective. I wouldn't give up next year's first round pick, Wood, Sekou and Rose - only including Rose in this little list because he may get us more value down the road. Everyone else should be expendable in my opinion. For some, even giving up average players with no real future with the Pistons (unless we overpay for the said average players in terms of a new contract) is "overpay". So, again, it's all about perspective.

This again? Was Anthony Davis worth trading up (not comparing AD's potential at draft time vs Anthony Davis' potential here because there was no one even remotely as good as him in this class)? Everyone would say yes to that question. Did he lead the Pels to a championship?

It's obvious that so many other things have to fall in place for a team to win a ring. Why would this one move have to lead the team to a championship? All we should be trying to do is get the best player possible using any movable trade assets. For me (and looking at what most analysts are saying), that player Anthony Edwards in this draft. For others, it may be some other player.

It's probably better to just rephrase the "How does this lead to a championship?" question.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#914 » by Manocad » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:06 pm

rmfc wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:
rmfc wrote:

So if you are suggesting we potentially overpay and expend those resources we'd better be making significant strides as a franchise as a result.

Not sure what overpay means from your perspective. I wouldn't give up next year's first round pick, Wood, Sekou and Rose - only including Rose in this little list because he may get us more value down the road. Everyone else should be expendable in my opinion. For some, even giving up average players with no real future with the Pistons (unless we overpay for the said average players in terms of a new contract) is "overpay". So, again, it's all about perspective.

This again? Was Anthony Davis worth trading up (not comparing AD's potential at draft time vs Anthony Davis' potential here because there was no one even remotely as good as him in this class)? Everyone would say yes to that question. Did he lead the Pels to a championship?

It's obvious that so many other things have to fall in place for a team to win a ring. Why would this one move have to lead the team to a championship? All we should be trying to do is get the best player possible using any movable trade assets. For me (and looking at what most analysts are saying), that player Anthony Edwards in this draft. For others, it may be some other player.

It's probably better to just rephrase the "How does this lead to a championship?" question.

Good lord...just give an answer as to how landing Anthony Davis, relative to whatever still undefined assets it takes to move from 7 to 2 to get him, forges to a path to a championship.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#915 » by Manocad » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:42 pm

rmfc wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:
rmfc wrote:

Let's try this again...YOU'RE the one who said the Pistons "should do whatever it takes" to get the #2 pick. FINE. Why?

You've admitted that taking Anthony Davis is only a "I like him" move and not part in any way of a grand plan to win a championship other than "He's good."

Cool. That's fine. JUST SAY IT. No biggie. I'm ok with that answer. Just don't berate me for forcing you to answer a question you apparently feel guilty about answering.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#916 » by MotownMadness » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:54 pm

Its definitely something to explore if the price is right and Edwards is there. Highest I would go is something like

Rose, Kennard and #7
For
Whatever matching salaries and #2

I dont really care about Rose and Kennard being swapped for Edwards moving forward is fine. Could backfire but wouldn't be too much loss if he bust. His upside is just really good and the type of gamble that could be a game changer moving forward rebuilding if he works out.
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#917 » by Crymson » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:07 pm

BJK1 wrote:Another write up about Patrick Williams (this time from a Knicks dedicated website) that includes comments from Leonard Hamilton. I’m not advocating for Williams (yet), but he’s an interesting prospect.

https://empiresportsmedia.com/new-york-knicks/new-york-knicks-why-fsus-sixth-man-patrick-williams-is-a-potential-lottery-pick/

Seems destined to be a role player on offense. Not what the Pistons need right now, I'd say.
rmfc
Assistant Coach

Post#918 » by rmfc » Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:58 pm

Manocad wrote:
rmfc wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:

Let's try this again...YOU'RE the one who said the Pistons "should do whatever it takes" to get the #2 pick. FINE. Why?

You've admitted that taking Anthony Davis is only a "I like him" move and not part in any way of a grand plan to win a championship other than "He's good."

Cool. That's fine. JUST SAY IT. No biggie. I'm ok with that answer. Just don't berate me for forcing you to answer a question you apparently feel guilty about answering.

Jeez..

Instead of typing the same thing over and over and over again, may be, just spend time on reading the response that was posted several hours ago?

To help you out, I am reposting the response:

Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#919 » by Pharaoh » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:05 pm

Williams is one of those guys likely to go 10-20 that could have a long, productive career.

People keep saying this Draft is weak when the more clips I watch it seems it's full of young, flawed but full of potential guys.

Giving up assets to move up isn't something I'd do. I see very little difference between the "top 3", the next 6, then the next 6 players.

If anything I'm looking to move guys like Luke, Rose and Snell, take back longer money in order to acquire additional picks in this Draft

Roll out a very young team & focus on player development.

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#920 » by Pharaoh » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:07 pm

Canadafan wrote:
Read on Twitter
Now saying that tweet is unavailable

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app

Return to Detroit Pistons