ImageImageImageImage

Magic re-sign F James Ennis to a 1-year contract

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Re: Magic re-sign F James Ennis to a 1-year contract 

Post#21 » by The Effect » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:05 am

Oh my **** God, we really are just going run back the same exact team for the 5th year in a row and expect a different result

Literally makes me sick how little of a plan these guys have. League mins scrubs added to a 38 win team is clearly the way to fix this joke of a team
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Post#22 » by fendilim » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:11 am

Love James’ toughness on the court. I think he can help spread the floor for us.

Sucks to see the same team back again tho.
The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#23 » by The Effect » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:19 am

fendilim wrote:Love James’ toughness on the court. I think he can help spread the floor for us.

After seeing his play in the bubble, I'd seriously rather have Mane start at sf than ennis.
Bigmagicfan82
Starter
And1: 343

Post#24 » by Bigmagicfan82 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:55 am

I don't think that they are running it back as much as just a matter of the circumstances.

a) This is a compresses free agency market.
b) There is still alot of uncertainty around the league.
c) The Magic don't have any cap room.
d) The Magic are not contenders and attracting big names.

Even if look at it right now most of the big names are returning back to their old teams. Also most of the contracts are short ones. It seems like teams are just trying to get through this crazy time with as little financial burden as possible. The only team that seems to be the exception to this are the Warriors. This doesn't mean that there won't be trades. I don't think they will happen now but I do think that at least one of (maybe more) Gordon, Fournier, and Vuc will be traded by the trade deadline.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#25 » by MoMM » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:24 am

Good move. Ennis played well last season, so we gave him one more year. He is cheap and won't impact our cap space next season. Also, having an expiring player earning 3M is good to march salaries in a possible deal during trade deadline.
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 7,063

Post#26 » by The Real Dalic » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:37 am

Howard Mass wrote:I am glad James Ennis is returning.

It's a one-year deal for more money to likely start again

The options are limited this free agency and given the money have committed to Vucevic and Fultz and Issac restricted free agents after the season, it's best to not tie up money long-term.

Who do you all want The Magic to sign?

The big moves this season if any were always going to come via Trade.

I think it's a good deal. I said I wish he would've picked up his option the first time. However, as for who they should've signed, I probably would've preferred nobody, honestly. My reasoning is that I'd want Okeke to have a chance to start. Or at least get more time. Now, he's likely not going to get much time. We now have a depth chart of:

Fultz/Anthony
Fournier/Bacon
Ennis/Ross
Gordon/Aminu
Vucevic/Bamba

Where are the minutes going to come from for Okeke?
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,530

Post#27 » by SOUL » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:39 am

The Real Dalic wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:I am glad James Ennis is returning.

It's a one-year deal for more money to likely start again

The options are limited this free agency and given the money have committed to Vucevic and Fultz and Issac restricted free agents after the season, it's best to not tie up money long-term.

Who do you all want The Magic to sign?

I think it's a good deal. I said I wish he would've picked up his option the first time. However, as for who they should've signed, I probably would've preferred nobody, honestly. My reasoning is that I'd want Okeke to have a chance to start. Or at least get more time. Now, he's likely not going to get much time. We now have a depth chart of:

Fultz/Anthony
Fournier/Bacon
Ennis/Ross
Gordon/Aminu
Vucevic/Bamba

Where are the minutes going to come from for Okeke?

We'll work him in slowly like we do everybody. Frustrating but it's what to expect.

To be fair though, even coming into last season everybody was saying how we had way too many big men but then we had injuries to Aminu/Gordon/Bamba/Vuc/Isaac all for varying lengths of time and had to play 12th-15th men for depth.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,908

Post#28 » by drsd » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:27 am

He made 1M for two-days work (the time from declining his player option to signing a new deal).

BRILLIANT!
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#29 » by Skin » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:20 am

I'm guessing Okeke averages 5-7 mpg. This front office is sooooooooo frustrating.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
fendilim
RealGM

Post#30 » by fendilim » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:27 am

The Effect wrote:
fendilim wrote:Love James’ toughness on the court. I think he can help spread the floor for us.

After seeing his play in the bubble, I'd seriously rather have Mane start at sf than ennis.

Ennis doesnt move a needle or isnt a really good player, but to start an untested 20-years old over him is absurd.

Mane isnt even built like an NBA player yet.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,815

Post#31 » by RookieStar » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:42 am

fendilim wrote:
The Effect wrote:

Ennis doesnt move a needle or isnt a really good player, but to start an untested 20-years old over him is absurd.

I think he was being sarcasric or what not. Well.. i would rather throw to the fire Okeke rather thab starting Ennis
fendilim
RealGM

Post#32 » by fendilim » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:01 am

RookieStar wrote:
fendilim wrote:
The Effect wrote:After seeing his play in the bubble, I'd seriously rather have Mane start at sf than ennis.

I think he was being sarcasric or what not. Well.. i would rather throw to the fire Okeke rather thab starting Ennis

Yeah. I’d love to see Okeke. I think he has a good chance to be a part of the rotation with Isaac put and Okeke plays defense and seems to have his game under control.
JBSouthpaw
Analyst
And1: 1,273

Post#33 » by JBSouthpaw » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:04 pm

If you are looking at it from a team pov, not having any real preseason camp to let new players jell and learn the playbook, then this is a good move, we'll start the season with the same starting line up we ended the regular season with.

I see these ancillary pieces either stay the same or change, it isn't a big deal. Every team has these pieces. I'm more interested in making changes to the core of players. We will get to see a bit of that with Cole and Okeke at least.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,186

Post#34 » by cedric76 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:11 pm

Chuma is gonna get plenty minutes, potential rookie of the year :-)
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,372

Post#35 » by PrimeThyme » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:34 pm

Howard Mass wrote:Who do you all want The Magic to sign?

My issue isn’t with the singings themselves. It’s with the fact that these signings more then likely signal in my eyes that they are content with this roster && will be going into another NBA season with virtually no changes to the “core” of this team.

From a player development standpoint, && a watchability standpoint as a fan, that’s a tough pill to swallow.

They have failed to address for another offseason any of the major issues with this roster and are basically accepting defeat before the season even starts and will finish another year as the 8th-11th seed in the East.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,648

Post#36 » by Howard Mass » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:53 pm

PrimeThyme wrote:

My issue isn’t with the singings themselves. It’s with the fact that these signings more then likely signal in my eyes that they are content with this roster && will be going into another NBA season with virtually no changes to the “core” of this team.

From a player development standpoint, && a watchability standpoint as a fan, that’s a tough pill to swallow.

They have failed to address for another offseason any of the major issues with this roster and are basically accepting defeat before the season even starts and will finish another year as the 8th-11th seed in the East.

Are there any moves you feel The Magic can make that would get them out of the 8-11 range?
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,921

Post#37 » by MagicMatic » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:33 pm

Howard Mass wrote:
PrimeThyme wrote:

Are there any moves you feel The Magic can make that would get them out of the 8-11 range?

Here’s an alternate question to your question.

Has the core of this team proven in 7 years that they aren’t mediocre?

Fans aren’t mad because we signed some glorified bench players. They are mad that they have to watch yet another season of the same boring roster. This FO has had many years to turn the ship into whatever they wanted. They never made an impactful decision to change the dynamics of the roster.

I care less about the FA signings because I’m realistic about Orlando’s draw. I care more that this FO is too scared to pick a direction and would rather treadmill despite taking a risk in either direction. Watching this team is painful. This year is a tank year and they refuse to cut bait on ANY of the mainstays.
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,935

Post#38 » by Last Guardian » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:58 pm

Why is this team so obsessed with having the same team all the time. It’s not that Ennis was bad for us, he wasn’t horrible or anything. But he’s not a difference maker either. It’s ok to check out other players, maybe younger and see what they got to offer. But no, let’s play this guy another season for 25mpg
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,091

Post#39 » by yoyojw17 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:13 pm

Lol... people are acting like they gave James ennis a jj redick one year bag. If okeke outplays aminu and ennis... he will get the minutes and eventual starting position. But you have to hedge your bets.

Happy about the Mane signing.... i had posted bout him in the draft thread.

https://ca.nba.com/news/nba-draft-2020-canadian-draft-prospect-who-is-karim-mane-scouting-report-strengths-weaknesses/1jyeatt1ya3i6157uinvn6ixea

Had offers to some decent US Colleges.... so that leaves some definite intrigue as well.

Electing to forgo his college eligibility, passing up scholarship offers from the likes of Kansas, Maryland, Marquette, Michigan State, Texas, Wake Forest and Xavier, Mane decided to shift his focus toward preparing for the 2020 NBA Draft.

He is a two-time winner of the Quebec Student Sports Federation (RSEQ) title and is looking to become the first player ever to come directly from the RSEQ without first attending an NCAA Division 1 school.

Hope he becomes a steal.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,648

Post#40 » by Howard Mass » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:08 pm

MagicMatic wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:
PrimeThyme wrote:My issue isn’t with the singings themselves. It’s with the fact that these signings more then likely signal in my eyes that they are content with this roster && will be going into another NBA season with virtually no changes to the “core” of this team.

Here’s an alternate question to your question.

Has the core of this team proven in 7 years that they aren’t mediocre?

Fans aren’t mad because we signed some glorified bench players. They are mad that they have to watch yet another season of the same boring roster. This FO has had many years to turn the ship into whatever they wanted. They never made an impactful decision to change the dynamics of the roster.

I care less about the FA signings because I’m realistic about Orlando’s draw. I care more that this FO is too scared to pick a direction and would rather treadmill despite taking a risk in either direction. Watching this team is painful. This year is a tank year and they refuse to cut bait on ANY of the mainstays.

I understand the frustration and it sucks to be in a position where The Magic are as in stuck.

WeltHam has improved things and they do need to make a deal but not force things.

I laid out the situation here. viewtopic.php?p=86525565#p86525565

Isaac's injury really has set this team back and this season, they need to decide the direction of this roster and I feel the pressure is going to be on if changes are not made along with a direction being decided by The Trading Deadline.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:

Return to Orlando Magic