ImageImageImage

Karl-Anthony Towns' Position

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Primarily, where would you play Karl-Anthony Towns?

PF
36%
C
64%

Total votes: 14

Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,247

Karl-Anthony Towns' Position 

Post#1 » by Baseline81 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 6:40 pm

Found the following tweet interesting:
Read on Twitter

I recall several posters stating the same, and thus wanting Wiseman in the draft.

Based on the poll results from the Jaden McDaniels' Position thread, the height/length would be vastly different than the current 3-4-5 of Edwards, McDaniels and Towns.

I'm willing to give it a try, at the very least.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,087

Re: Karl-Anthony Towns' Position 

Post#2 » by TheZachAttack » Mon Apr 5, 2021 7:30 pm

I am not sure that we have learned that KAT can defend the perimeter capably yet. I think Dane is overstepping that statement a little bit... especially because we have not really seen him do it against some of the more elite 4's.

There's a lot of 4's like Durant/Giannis/Zion/etc/etc. that I really am not confident in saying that we have seen KAT capably guard yet.

This means that KAT will have to play 5 in certain matchups even if we do play him more at the 4. I am open to getting a more capable rim protecting C and playing KAT more often at the 4, but I do not think he's a full-time 4.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,583

Post#3 » by Klomp » Mon Apr 5, 2021 7:37 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:I am not sure that we have learned that KAT can defend the perimeter capably yet. I think Dane is overstepping that statement a little bit... especially because we have not really seen him do it against some of the more elite 4's.

There's a lot of 4's like Durant/Giannis/Zion/etc/etc. that I really am not confident in saying that we have seen KAT capably guard yet.

This means that KAT will have to play 5 in certain matchups even if we do play him more at the 4. I am open to getting a more capable rim protecting C and playing KAT more often at the 4, but I do not think he's a full-time 4.

He would not necessarily be asked to guard those players, even if they played him at PF.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#4 » by Norseman79 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 8:06 pm

Let's be honest, no one actually guards those players. At least Towns would negate one of their biggest advantages which is size/length. Maybe work out a trade with the Pacers for Turner and let's see.

DLo
Edwards
Mcdaniels
Towns
Turner

That would be fun.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer

Post#5 » by TheZachAttack » Mon Apr 5, 2021 8:43 pm

Klomp wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:I am not sure that we have learned that KAT can defend the perimeter capably yet. I think Dane is overstepping that statement a little bit... especially because we have not really seen him do it against some of the more elite 4's.

He would not necessarily be asked to guard those players, even if they played him at PF.

Who would he guard then? An SF or a SG? PG? We'd ask the center we bring in to guard them? Think it through the downstream impacts of that decision.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer

Post#6 » by TheZachAttack » Mon Apr 5, 2021 8:44 pm

Norseman79 wrote:Let's be honest, no one actually guards those players. At least Towns would negate one of their biggest advantages which is size/length. Maybe work out a trade with the Pacers for Turner and let's see.

DLo
Edwards
Mcdaniels
Towns
Turner

That would be fun.

It could be true... I think it's worth exploring. I guess the only thing is I'm not sure that I want Towns having to work that hard on defense. I don't think he can take that assignment and also such a heavy load offensively as well. It's similar to the fact that not many wings outside of a few elite ones can take the #1 primary defensive assignment and be the #1 on offense.
gandlogo
Junior
And1: 363

Post#7 » by gandlogo » Mon Apr 5, 2021 8:53 pm

Big.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Klomp » Mon Apr 5, 2021 10:02 pm

TheZachAttack wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Who would he guard then? An SF or a SG? PG? We'd ask the center we bring in to guard them? Think it through the downstream impacts of that decision.

This isn't 2k. PFs don't always guard PFs. Cs don't always guard Cs. That's all I'm saying.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer

Post#9 » by TheZachAttack » Mon Apr 5, 2021 11:53 pm

Klomp wrote:
TheZachAttack wrote:
Klomp wrote:He would not necessarily be asked to guard those players, even if they played him at PF.

This isn't 2k. PFs don't always guard PFs. Cs don't always guard Cs. That's all I'm saying.

I would say that when you're a center you're playing in a much different position on the court than the rest of the 4 players generally. It doesn't always happen, but it changes where Towns is positioned on 80% of the possessions. It means that you're asking Towns to guard PFs like that and wings. I am fine with Towns against a lot of PFs. However, in those matchups against more dynamic players... I'd rather shift Towns up.

Plenty of teams do that. The Spurs did that with Duncan. The Lakers do that with Davis all the time.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,444

Post#10 » by Foye » Tue Apr 6, 2021 9:49 am

You know what the most depressing about this thread is?
That its still all just speculation.

Through all these losing years nobody in the whole Timberwolves organization ever even had the guts of trying KAT at the PF position for a stretch of games. Probably afraid of hurting KATs feelings or whatever.

There were plenty of meaningless games in recent years to give this a try and imho it would work quite well.
Wolveswin
Head Coach
And1: 2,403

Post#11 » by Wolveswin » Tue Apr 6, 2021 11:32 am

Norseman79 wrote:Let's be honest, no one actually guards those players. At least Towns would negate one of their biggest advantages which is size/length. Maybe work out a trade with the Pacers for Turner and let's see.

DLo
Edwards
Mcdaniels
Towns
Turner

That would be fun.

I think Turner is just too much player. Meaning finding the rotation and minutes game to game based on matchup would be too difficult with a player of Turner’s caliber.

I think the idea and mold here is Dirk in Dallas with Chandler at C. Find an all defensive center that can protect the rim, not needs huge minutes overall, and can be rotated out when Towns needs center minutes due to matchups.
TheZachAttack
Bench Warmer

Post#12 » by TheZachAttack » Tue Apr 6, 2021 2:54 pm

Watching KAT with Naz a little bit more closely and for a more extended period last night has made me believe that it can work. I would go as far to say that I want KAT to at least play SOME PF. However, I still think that Towns will also always play some C.

If we could get something similar to a Jarret Allen type player at C or a guy that's a mid-level player but can stick within a role and play ~25ish MPG, I think that's what I'd prefer. I think McDaniels should be getting some of his minutes at PF as well.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Klomp » Wed Apr 7, 2021 2:53 pm

Read on Twitter

thinktank
Analyst
And1: 1,625

Post#14 » by thinktank » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:59 pm

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

That pairing passes the eye test too.

That leads me to believe that a pairing with KAT at PF and a defensive-plus unicorn would work.
What would you pay a guy putting up 18 and 11 in the playoffs?
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,003

Post#15 » by shrink » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:11 pm

I am very excited about the concept here. I never expected Towns to be willing to move out of his beloved center position, but perhaps he sees this as a way to help the team win more and help his reputation. It is certainly easier for a team to find a center than a PF. The trick will be to have a big man who can defend underneath, but also be a credible three point shooter, so we don’t lose the mismatch advantage Towns creates as a center.

Naz is fine for now, but his defense needs to take a quantum leap forward. You know who I’d have liked to see, for a cheaper alternative? Bringing back Dieng. He can’t run with the team, but his three point shooting is now credible, he knows how to run Vanterpoole’s system (which was 3rd in defense when Gorgui replaced KAT), and he knows how to play with both KAT and Rubio.

Unlike relationship-builder Ryan Saunders, Finch is getting players to do things they don’t prefer (Towns at PF, DLo at SG). If these can be locked down, this team suddenly becomes a lot better, and much more interesting.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Klomp » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:21 pm

shrink wrote:I am very excited about the concept here. I never expected Towns to be willing to move out of his beloved center position, but perhaps he sees this as a way to help the team win more and help his reputation. It is certainly easier for a team to find a center than a PF. The trick will be to have a big man who can defend underneath, but also be a credible three point shooter, so we don’t lose the mismatch advantage Towns creates as a center.

Naz is fine for now, but his defense needs to take a quantum leap forward. You know who I’d have liked to see, for a cheaper alternative? Bringing back Dieng. He can’t run with the team, but his three point shooting is now credible, he knows how to run Vanterpoole’s system (which was 3rd in defense when Gorgui replaced KAT), and he knows how to play with both KAT and Rubio.

Unlike relationship-builder Ryan Saunders, Finch is getting players to do things they don’t prefer (Towns at PF, DLo at SG). If these can be locked down, this team suddenly becomes a lot better, and much more interesting.

I believe the "what they don't prefer" narrative is fan-driven and not based 100% on reality.

I also don't think Reid is given enough credit around here. Is he a great defender? Maybe not, but he's proving he can still be an integral part of positive lineups. From a reserve big, that's all we really need. I don't think Dieng would be overly interested in a return. Call them PFs or Cs, but Dieng would still likely be behind both Towns and Reid in the pecking order and I doubt he's overly interested in doing that.

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,003

Post#17 » by shrink » Wed Apr 7, 2021 4:33 pm

Klomp wrote:
shrink wrote:I am very excited about the concept here. I never expected Towns to be willing to move out of his beloved center position, but perhaps he sees this as a way to help the team win more and help his reputation. It is certainly easier for a team to find a center than a PF. The trick will be to have a big man who can defend underneath, but also be a credible three point shooter, so we don’t lose the mismatch advantage Towns creates as a center.

I believe the "what they don't prefer" narrative is fan-driven and not based 100% on reality.

I also don't think Reid is given enough credit around here. Is he a great defender? Maybe not, but he's proving he can still be an integral part of positive lineups. From a reserve big, that's all we really need. I don't think Dieng would be overly interested in a return. Call them PFs or Cs, but Dieng would still likely be behind both Towns and Reid in the pecking order and I doubt he's overly interested in doing that.

For KAT, do you remember what a big deal he made of winning the skills contest “as a center” and this was a victory for “all us centers?” He also campaigned to keep the center position for all star voting, rather than have fans vote for two guards and three forwards.

For DLo, we saw him just stand around when he got stuck playing SG next to Rubio in the first part of the season, and he was very public about wanting the ball in his hands.

I think Gorgui is much better than Naz defensively, and he has made a strong push to increase the range of his already reliable jump shot out to three point range. This season, he is shooting 48% 3P%.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by Klomp » Wed Apr 7, 2021 6:50 pm

shrink wrote:
Klomp wrote:

For KAT, do you remember what a big deal he made of winning the skills contest “as a center” and this was a victory for “all us centers?” He also campaigned to keep the center position for all star voting, rather than have fans vote for two guards and three forwards.

For DLo, we saw him just stand around when he got stuck playing SG next to Rubio in the first part of the season, and he was very public about wanting the ball in his hands.

I think Gorgui is much better than Naz defensively, and he has made a strong push to increase the range of his already reliable jump shot out to three point range. This season, he is shooting 48% 3P%.

1. He is a big. Whether you call him a PF or C really isn't a huge deal. Whether he plays in the frontcourt next to another big or two wings really isn't a huge deal.

2. The Saunders offense proved to be very stagnant. It wasn't only the players. That has proved itself out over the past month or so.

3. I know what Dieng has done. I will always be a fan of his. I just think they will favor the offensive versatility of Reid over Dieng.

wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,935

Post#19 » by wolves_89 » Wed Apr 7, 2021 9:53 pm

I've never gotten the impression that Towns really cares all that much about playing center. I honestly think he'd be happy if the Wolves could find a 260-270 pound guy to soak up the pounding from the more physical centers in the league.

I've thought for a while that one of the Wolves biggest weaknesses was matching up against the really big centers in the NBA (I really do miss Pek). While I still expect Towns to be primarily a center, I think it would be advantageous to everyone to have a real bruiser type of center on the team. I think there are quite a few matchups where Towns is capable of playing 20 minutes a night at PF while letting somebody else take (or maybe give) a beating in the lane.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves