ImageImageImageImageImage

Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,338

Re: Team Canada Basketball Thread V3.0 

Post#81 » by aminiaturebuddha » Fri Apr 2, 2021 7:13 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:
How someone is regarded as defensively comes 95+% from fan comments and from media members. You have to rate how good someone is on defense from actual analysis. Pierre is no way close to being one of the best defenders in EuroLeague. He's an adequate OK defender. Doornekamp is a way better defender, and it's not even close.

I'm curious how you're doing your analysis. Are you using advanced stats? And if it's just your observation, how is this different from observations from media members and other fans?

I don't really have a dog in this fight. I haven't seen either of them enough over the past two years to have an informed opinion as to who is better. I'm just wondering, since you insist that evaluation has to come from "actual analysis" - what your analysis is based on.
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant

Post#82 » by aminiaturebuddha » Fri Apr 2, 2021 7:28 pm

mojo13 wrote:
aminiaturebuddha wrote:Totally random hypothetical. Let's say someone came back from 25 years in the future and told you that one of the Canadians currently playing in the NBA joined Steve Nash and James Naismith as the only Canadians in the Hall of Fame. Who would you think that would be? And how would you see the best-case scenario of their career turning out to have that happen.

SGA for me (easily). He is just doing so many things at a truly elite level already and still improving at a quick pace. He may be on a path to being a Top 5 player in the NBA - I really think he will be an all-NBA caliber player. I don't quite see that ceiling with Murray or Barrett (could happen). Both easily could become allstars (Murray is pretty much already), but SGA has the potential to be another tier up for them.

I think you're probably right, and he seems like the obvious choice. But I posed the question because I could see a scenario where Murray gets there as well. Team success is a big factor in Hall of Fame selections, and Murray is clearly on the superior team at the moment (and who knows when or if OKC's draft pick bonanza team building strategy will pay off).

If Denver improves into a solid contender for the next 6-8 years, and Murray becomes more consistently the guy that he's been for the past couple of months (or better yet, playoff-Murray), and perhaps Denver wins a couple of championships over that time period, that could be a path to get him there, as the second banana on a top championship team, with maybe 3 or 4 All-Star appearances thrown in. He'd probably still need to play for another 12 years or so, and get his totals up so he's above the 20,000 career points mark (he's at 5600 right now), but I think it's possible. Probably about a 20% chance.

But yeah, SGA seems to be on a more likely path right now. I just hope OKC is done selling for the future, and can now start building around him so we can see what he can do on a good team. His playoff performance last year wasn't great, and I'd like to see him get back there sooner rather than later to get a better sense of how he handles the post-season.
Kenter16
Junior
And1: 91

Post#83 » by Kenter16 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 9:40 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Hopefully he is at the OQT. He has really improved his game. Would be is my starting lineup for a full strength squad.

Sent from my SM-G973W using RealGM mobile app
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,465

Post#84 » by Mirotic12 » Sat Apr 3, 2021 7:43 am

aminiaturebuddha wrote:I'm curious how you're doing your analysis. Are you using advanced stats? And if it's just your observation, how is this different from observations from media members and other fans?

I don't really have a dog in this fight. I haven't seen either of them enough over the past two years to have an informed opinion as to who is better. I'm just wondering, since you insist that evaluation has to come from "actual analysis" - what your analysis is based on.

Just by watching games, paying attention to the players on defense and also understanding what the coaches want the players to do and what the assignments and responsibilities are. He's fine on defense, but he's definitely not anything like one of the best defenders in EuroLeague.
Kenter16
Junior

Post#85 » by Kenter16 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 1:13 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20

I can almost guarantee at this point that we will not be playing the OQT in Victoria. Vancouver and BC are in tough shape with this new variant. From what I understand, there is a province wide lock down right now. It would be a real stretch for the Federal Government to allow teams into the country even with a 14 day quarantine. As the tweet says, this was a break out in a highly structured environment. This may be the example the government needs to say no.
Not sure where they decide to play it. Maybe Seattle, Tampa, Houston? I would like to see us play it in Denver, make it harder for Murray to say no.
Kenter16
Junior

Post#86 » by Kenter16 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 1:22 am

Kenter16 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

I can almost guarantee at this point that we will not be playing the OQT in Victoria. Vancouver and BC are in tough shape with this new variant. From what I understand, there is a province wide lock down right now. It would be a real stretch for the Federal Government to allow teams into the country even with a 14 day quarantine. As the tweet says, this was a break out in a highly structured environment. This may be the example the government needs to say no.
Not sure where they decide to play it. Maybe Seattle, Tampa, Houston? I would like to see us play it in Denver, make it harder for Murray to say no.

To add to this, I don't think this is the worst thing for Team Canada. We were not going to see fans in the stands anyways. So, when the move it to the US, it makes it easier for players to commit because they won't have to quarantine for 14 days before the tourney. That takes two weeks off of the summer commitment for these guys. That's may be big.
mojo13
Veteran
And1: 1,880

Post#87 » by mojo13 » Sun Apr 4, 2021 3:54 pm

At this point I think you are right.

Maximizing player participation should be the goal. Players love Vegas....

Maybe we can get in on the prelim tournament if we Qualify. Summer training session in Vegas under Nick Nurse - Canadians only.
aminiaturebuddha
Lead Assistant

Post#88 » by aminiaturebuddha » Wed Apr 7, 2021 3:43 pm

A new write-up on the best players in the recent US high school nationals, which were won by Monteverde Academy. Two Canadians were mentioned, both of whom starred on the championship team - Caleb Houstan and Ryan Nembhard. Particularly encouraging is how the article describes the advanced nature of Houstan's defence. Great defence and great shooting is a pretty attractive combination for any prospect.

Caleb Houstan | Sr. | SF | Montverde Academy
No. 8 in ESPN Class of 2021

The Michigan-bound Houstan earned a spot on the all-tournament team by leading Montverde in scoring and coming up with several clutch baskets in both the semifinals and finals, something that has become routine for him over the years. He made a name for himself early in his career for his perimeter shooting ability and backed that up by making 41% of his 3-pointers and 82% of his free throws in the 25 games this season for which we have data (per Synergy Sports Technology).

Where Houstan really shined most vividly was with his work on the defensive end, where he displays the maturity, technique and awareness of a player in his late 20s rather than someone who just turned 18. With the size to defend guards, wings and forwards alike, Houstan covers ground extremely well, plays with strong intensity and shows an excellent understanding of his team's schemes, particularly with the rotations he makes off the ball.

While not quite the same player, Houstan will remind Michigan fans of Franz Wagner with the pace, efficiency and approach he brings to the table. Due to his role and the amount of star power on Montverde, Houstan doesn't see all that many opportunities to create for himself or others out of a ball screen or in one-on-one situations, something scouts will want to see more of as his career moves on.

Ryan Nembhard | Sr. | PG | Montverde Academy
Unranked in ESPN Class of 2021

Nembhard had a similar showing to what we saw in January at the St. James NIBC Invitational, posting 22 assists against just 9 turnovers in 3 games, and going 5-of-6 on 3-pointers to earn MVP honors at the Geico Nationals.

He rarely puts up big scoring numbers but always somehow ends up making big, winning plays on both ends of the floor that help decide games, helping Montverde finish the season 24-1 with a national championship under its belt.

Considered a streaky shooter earlier in his career, Nembhard made major progress in that area this season. He converted 46% of his 3-pointers in 25 games, according to Synergy, mostly in catch-and-shoot situations. His 3.7-to-1 assist-to-turnover ratio on the season is another accurate reflection of the role he plays, as he's incredibly sure-handed with the ball and takes his responsibility of getting the many stars on his team involved very seriously. He's also an outstanding defender thanks to his toughness getting after opponents on the ball and the awareness he shows off it.

While Nembhard doesn't ooze NBA upside and will surely be winning games at Creighton for quite some time, it would be a mistake to rule him out as a prospect entirely. We've seen players in his mold -- think Monte Morris, Tyus Jones or Jordan McLaughlin -- find ways to make an impact with similar attributes.
TrueNorth31
Senior
And1: 356

Post#89 » by TrueNorth31 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 1:20 am

Here's an article by CBC on the Olympic team. Plans are still full steam ahead. Training camp to open mid June which would give them a week to bring in players after the first round of the playoffs which end on June 7/21. They play a CEBL all star team in an exhibition scheduled for June 18/21. They anticipate a very high turnout. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Read on Twitter
BilboBanginz
Pro Prospect
And1: 655

Post#90 » by BilboBanginz » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:52 pm

Read on Twitter

Now we're down to 17 Canadians in the league!
mojo13
Veteran

Post#91 » by mojo13 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:58 pm

TrueNorth31 wrote:Here's an article by CBC on the Olympic team. Plans are still full steam ahead. Training camp to open mid June which would give them a week to bring in players after the first round of the playoffs which end on June 7/21. They play a CEBL all star team in an exhibition scheduled for June 18/21. They anticipate a very high turnout. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

This is encouraging of course. But we have heard it before....so yes... we shall see.

Besides Iggy getting waived, it looks like Khem Birch is going to be waived as well, but his intent is to sign with the Raptors. Yet another encouraging sign to see him in the Nick Nurse fold.

There was also a little exchange on Twitter yesterday with Jevohn Shepperd implying Kelly Olynyk might be playing despite being a FA. Shep should have inside knowledge - so this is yet another good sign. KO would be huge to have on the team. Still top three for me with SGA and Murray.
Kenter16
Junior

Post#92 » by Kenter16 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:24 pm

mojo13 wrote:
TrueNorth31 wrote:Here's an article by CBC on the Olympic team. Plans are still full steam ahead. Training camp to open mid June which would give them a week to bring in players after the first round of the playoffs which end on June 7/21. They play a CEBL all star team in an exhibition scheduled for June 18/21. They anticipate a very high turnout. I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

This is encouraging of course. But we have heard it before....so yes... we shall see.

Besides Iggy getting waived, it looks like Khem Birch is going to be waived as well, but his intent is to sign with the Raptors. Yet another encouraging sign to see him in the Nick Nurse fold.

There was also a little exchange on Twitter yesterday with Jevohn Shepperd implying Kelly Olynyk might be playing despite being a FA. Shep should have inside knowledge - so this is yet another good sign. KO would be huge to have on the team. Still top three for me with SGA and Murray.

He also has Lu Dort in his starting 5. That's big news too. Lu has never played for Canada or has publicly stated that he was going to play. Lu is a big get, he is the first guy off the bench in my full strength squad.
frumble
Bench Warmer
And1: 710

Post#93 » by frumble » Fri Apr 9, 2021 1:52 pm

Thanks for the updates (re Birch, Olynyk, and Dort). Those are encouraging signs (if anyone would play for Canada without a contract it would be Olynyk).
Hair Canada
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,484

Post#94 » by Hair Canada » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:18 pm

A couple of Canadians changed teams just before the trade deadline. So far, the change of scenery seems to be a positive development despite playing a similar amount of minutes:

Olynyk: 17.5 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 block, and 1 steal per game, shooting 60%, 42%, and 96% from the field, 3-point, and line respectively. Compare this to his 10, 6, and 2 numbers, on 43%, 32%, and 78%.

CoJo: 12 points (6.5 in Sac), 5 assists (2.5), 3 rebounds (2), shooting 54% (44), 33% (33), and 93% (77). and Detroit won half of its games since he came.

Let's hope Birch has a similar bump when moving back to Canada.

Add to this the steady improvement of NAW (had the best stretch of his young career before his injury) and Barrett (up to 38% from 3 now), Wiggins giving his best season in terms of shooting (57% true shooting; first time in his career he's over 55%), and even Brooks looking good as of late (19ppg in his last 10 games, shooting 42% from 3 and 50% from the field). Oh, and Bouhcer with 38 and 19 yesterday...

All in all seems like many of the guys will be getting to Victoria in good shape (if they come).
“If every basketball player worked as hard as I did, I’d be out of a job.”
— Steve Nash
TrueNorth31
Senior

Post#95 » by TrueNorth31 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:02 pm

Canada Basketball themed story in the New York Times about how the Victoria organizers have bought the the floor from the Warriors from the old Oracle arena on which the Raptors won their championship and are busy installing it in the Victoria arena. Let's hope they have a little money left over to help pay for some insurance on some of the NBA players who are looking at unresolved contract issues.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/11/sports/basketball/canada-basketball-olympics-raptors.html
Kenter16
Junior

Post#96 » by Kenter16 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:40 pm

TrueNorth31 wrote:Canada Basketball themed story in the New York Times about how the Victoria organizers have bought the the floor from the Warriors from the old Oracle arena on which the Raptors won their championship and are busy installing it in the Victoria arena. Let's hope they have a little money left over to help pay for some insurance on some of the NBA players who are looking at unresolved contract issues.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/11/sports/basketball/canada-basketball-olympics-raptors.html

What I learnt from this, maybe I am the only one who didn't know, but we have a billionaire on the board. Scott Lake is the co founder of Spotify. So, makes sense we had the financial backing to host the qualifiers. Hopefully this helps financially going forward.
mojo13
Veteran

Post#97 » by mojo13 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:36 pm

Kenter16 wrote:
TrueNorth31 wrote:Canada Basketball themed story in the New York Times about how the Victoria organizers have bought the the floor from the Warriors from the old Oracle arena on which the Raptors won their championship and are busy installing it in the Victoria arena. Let's hope they have a little money left over to help pay for some insurance on some of the NBA players who are looking at unresolved contract issues.

What I learnt from this, maybe I am the only one who didn't know, but we have a billionaire on the board. Scott Lake is the co founder of Spotify. So, makes sense we had the financial backing to host the qualifiers. Hopefully this helps financially going forward.

Shopify.

So this is new to me as well. Did anyone know? This matters... and we've heard whispers a while back that there was some unknown Canadian tech entrepreneur that may be stepping in to help fund the insurance issues (I think Drake was mentioned as well). So Scott Lake must be the mystery man... hopefully those whispers are true.

I'm honestly feeling pretty good about guys like Birch, Olynyk and CoJo playing without contracts. If there was anyone to be FAs and still play - it is those three. And with each of them in their new team situations they all could get some sort of handshake that they will be taken care of. CoJo is playing well enough for DET to exercise him. I hear HOU really wants to keep KO. And it sure seems like there is intent for the Raps to sign Birch.

Edit: I looked around and there is hardly a blurb about Scott Lake on the BoD of Canada Basketball (elected June 2020). This is about it:
https://www.basketball.ca/news/brian-cooper-elected-chair-of-canada-basketball-board-of-directors

Pretty under the radar....
Kenter16
Junior

Post#98 » by Kenter16 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:56 pm

mojo13 wrote:
Kenter16 wrote:

Shopify.

So this is new to me as well. Did anyone know? This matters... and we've heard whispers a while back that there was some unknown Canadian tech entrepreneur that may be stepping in to help fund the insurance issues (I think Drake was mentioned as well). So Scott Lake must be the mystery man... hopefully those whispers are true.

I'm honestly feeling pretty good about guys like Birch, Olynyk and CoJo playing without contracts. If there was anyone to be FAs and still play - it is those three. And with each of them in their new team situations they all could get some sort of handshake that they will be taken care of. CoJo is playing well enough for DET to exercise him. I hear HOU really wants to keep KO. And it sure seems like there is intent for the Raps to sign Birch.

Edit: I looked around and there is hardly a blurb about Scott Lake on the BoD of Canada Basketball (elected June 2020). This is about it:
https://www.basketball.ca/news/brian-cooper-elected-chair-of-canada-basketball-board-of-directors

Right. Shopify.
Shopify, spotify. I get those mixed up all the time.

It's great if he is going to back Canada Basketball long term. It doesn't sound like he has anything to do with Shopify now, but he must own stock. So it sounds like he has money and time.
TrueNorth31
Senior

Post#99 » by TrueNorth31 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:17 pm

mojo13 wrote:
Kenter16 wrote:

Shopify.

I think a little clarification is required - I was behind the tech entrepreneur rumors about the man behind the scene in terms of financially backing the tournament. I'd heard the scuttlebutt , but did not think it was appropriate given my source to put Lake's actual name out there at the time. Now it's become public knowledge due to this story.

Also Lake's role has been primarily to help provide support to the Friends of Victoria organizing committee to run this tournament ( I.E. the $3.1 hosting fee and buying the floor ). In terms of covering the insurance needs of Canada Basketball that's me speculating how he should spend his money. I've heard nothing that this is actually going to happen and who knows how much it would cost ? As far as Drake goes he's given money in the past to Canada Basketball. It remains to be seen if money will be given to run the team by any benefactors - that's jumping to a conclusion. My hope is that if you go to all this much trouble to get this thing off the ground, you might as well go all the way to ensure the product on this much storied floor is successful.
Yeezus_
RealGM
And1: 13,735

Post#100 » by Yeezus_ » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:36 am

Hoping Murray is okay :(

Read on Twitter
Yeezy SZN approaching

Return to Toronto Raptors