Tank watch

Moderator: ijspeelman

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Re: Tank watch 

Post#121 » by Stillwater » Mon May 3, 2021 4:48 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:When Sexton gets 8 dimes with no DG zero people on here show respect.

That's your job ... the rest of us understand context.

you mean the context you have drummed up in your imagination I guess right ? gtfo you are absolutely the epitome of clueless about how much more difficult it is to do what Sexton has done in the NBA compared to what DG does. Of course teams hope Sexton passes more
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,371

Post#122 » by JonFromVA » Mon May 3, 2021 5:39 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
Stillwater wrote:When Sexton gets 8 dimes with no DG zero people on here show respect.

That's your job ... the rest of us understand context.

you mean the context you have drummed up in your imagination I guess right ? gtfo you are absolutely the epitome of clueless about how much more difficult it is to do what Sexton has done in the NBA compared to what DG does. Of course teams hope Sexton passes more

Nah, I'm referring to those pesky facts you pay no attention to ... like how Collin is coming back from an injury and playing without any other PG's on the roster, so we're trying not to be too harsh on him for being -21 in the Heat blowout loss or pointing out the fact that Cedi managed to dish out 3 more assists.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#123 » by JonFromVA » Mon May 3, 2021 5:54 pm

LivingLegend wrote:I think a lot of it is the offense. I have said on here 1000 times that at the beginning of the year the Cavs actually ran a movement offense with emphasis on passing and cutting. Since that Allen trade that offense no longer exists.

They have been running slow, boring, stand around offense for months now. That needs to chance if we want to get the best out of this team. The current offense only play is high P&R.

The offense changed and team got crappier and now everyone hates everyone. I dont care how many injures you have or what competition your playing your offense should be your offense. Also, this team also reverted back to playing with zero effort on defense--which was a staple of this team the first 2 months.

I think everyone is just burnt out and is mentally checked out waiting for the offseason.

The injuries have been devastating, continuity non-existent, and the floor spacing has been tragic. I'm having a hard time getting past those issues to dig any deeper in to anything else at the moment, but you're not wrong.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#124 » by Stillwater » Mon May 3, 2021 6:40 pm

or maybe they just suck
LivingLegend
Head Coach
And1: 7,745

Post#125 » by LivingLegend » Mon May 3, 2021 7:01 pm

Stillwater wrote:or maybe they just suck

They suck, but Im blaming at bare minimum 60% of their suckage on the coaching staff. The Cavs have FAR too much talent on thsi roster to be losing to some of the teams they are losing to.

That OKC loss? The one last week against the Magic? IDGAF who the Cavs have injured--I can only name 1 player on the Magic roster and he is a rookie. And you lose? At Home? with a bunch of top 10 draft picks + Love + Jarrett Allen on your team?

No. no no. That should never happen. They Cavs are bad--but have for a large part of the year have been underachieving relative to their talent level.

To be honest, this team should be further along than they currently are. The fact that they are not is a incitement on the coaching staff. Hire Nate McMillian and see how much better this team looks immediately.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#126 » by JonFromVA » Mon May 3, 2021 7:31 pm

LivingLegend wrote:

They suck, but Im blaming at bare minimum 60% of their suckage on the coaching staff. The Cavs have FAR too much talent on thsi roster to be losing to some of the teams they are losing to.

That OKC loss? The one last week against the Magic? IDGAF who the Cavs have injured--I can only name 1 player on the Magic roster and he is a rookie. And you lose? At Home? with a bunch of top 10 draft picks + Love + Jarrett Allen on your team?

No. no no. That should never happen. They Cavs are bad--but have for a large part of the year have been underachieving relative to their talent level.

To be honest, this team should be further along than they currently are. The fact that they are not is a incitement on the coaching staff. Hire Nate McMillian and see how much better this team looks immediately.

Well, it won't be long until we see whether the organization is happy with all the losing and what it's doing for our draft position; or whether they'd rather hit the plunger and fire Altman and Bickerstaff for failing to achieve anything close to a competitive level of play.

I'm not sure why Altman doesn't permit more media access/interviews. In a vacuum of information, there are still plenty of reporters willing to fill in the blanks even for a crappy team without a star. If the team can't communicate a vision to the fans, can they communicate one to the organization?

Signing Jarrett Allen this off-season is another big test for the organization. If they can get that done at a decent price without drama, it would be a very good sign that things are running better behind the scenes than they appear.
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#127 » by LivingLegend » Mon May 3, 2021 7:57 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

Well, it won't be long until we see whether the organization is happy with all the losing and what it's doing for our draft position; or whether they'd rather hit the plunger and fire Altman and Bickerstaff for failing to achieve anything close to a competitive level of play.

I'm not sure why Altman doesn't permit more media access/interviews. In a vacuum of information, there are still plenty of reporters willing to fill in the blanks even for a crappy team without a star. If the team can't communicate a vision to the fans, can they communicate one to the organization?

Signing Jarrett Allen this off-season is another big test for the organization. If they can get that done at a decent price without drama, it would be a very good sign that things are running better behind the scenes than they appear.

Agreed, there doesnt seem to be any sort of direction right now in terms of roster and on-court performance. Every night is like a roller coaster. Thats why I loved the first 2 months of the season because you could see the coaching working--you could see a identity being established. Thats why Im so mad it all came crashing down after that Allen trade, Nance Injury and Drummond drama.

They are literally just floating dead in the water right now when they should be building and showing improvement with the young guys and developing.

I will say: Cedi needs to be off this roster next year. Kevin Love needs to be dumped for a ham sandwich or buyout and they need to have a talk with Sexton about 6th man.

You do those 3 things, you are going to be off to a good start.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#128 » by Stillwater » Tue May 4, 2021 12:04 am

LivingLegend wrote:

Here are the facts as I see them some on here will call it speculation and nothing more I digress...
1 nobody on this team short of DG and Sexton and maybe Okoro who are the young core leaders would have any reasonable aspirations to play hard now especially if they have guaranteed contracts past this season.
2 although I agree the rotations have not been effective, I am not sold it would matter against anyone who is fighting for jobs like g leaguers in OKC or ORL for example. Its all about motivation.
3 If the Cavs still had a healthy IH and played Kabengele, Thomas and others fighting for jobs etc heavy minutes they would probably win a couple of these games to close the season.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,083

Post#129 » by jbk1234 » Tue May 4, 2021 12:53 am

LivingLegend wrote:I think a lot of it is the offense. I have said on here 1000 times that at the beginning of the year the Cavs actually ran a movement offense with emphasis on passing and cutting. Since that Allen trade that offense no longer exists.

They have been running slow, boring, stand around offense for months now. That needs to chance if we want to get the best out of this team. The current offense only play is high P&R.

The offense changed and team got crappier and now everyone hates everyone. I dont care how many injures you have or what competition your playing your offense should be your offense. Also, this team also reverted back to playing with zero effort on defense--which was a staple of this team the first 2 months.

I think everyone is just burnt out and is mentally checked out waiting for the offseason.
Prior to the West Coast trip, the offense was Drummond and Sexton taking a lot of shots against mediocre teams. It didn't seem very dynamic to me. Prince, who has been a very streaky shooter his entire career, was knocking down threes. That's really the only change I've seen.

But that West Coast trip showed us who this team is. They're too reliant on scoring in the paint. The floor spacing sucks. Our three point shooting has to be bottom five in the NBA.

I'd legitimately considering letting Allen go in a S&T depending on what type of offers he gets because I think Hartenstein might be a better option for the starting unit long term. This is even more so the case if Mobley is on the board when we're picking. Love needs to go to bench. Sexton needs to be traded before his contract becomes an issue. But mostly this team needs a wing who is a pure shooter. I guy like Huerter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using RealGM mobile app
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#130 » by JonFromVA » Tue May 4, 2021 3:22 pm

jbk1234 wrote:

Prior to the West Coast trip, the offense was Drummond and Sexton taking a lot of shots against mediocre teams. It didn't seem very dynamic to me. Prince, who has been a very streaky shooter his entire career, was knocking down threes. That's really the only change I've seen.

But that West Coast trip showed us who this team is. They're too reliant on scoring in the paint. The floor spacing sucks. Our three point shooting has to be bottom five in the NBA.

I'd legitimately considering letting Allen go in a S&T depending on what type of offers he gets because I think Hartenstein might be a better option for the starting unit long term. This is even more so the case if Mobley is on the board when we're picking. Love needs to go to bench. Sexton needs to be traded before his contract becomes an issue. But mostly this team needs a wing who is a pure shooter. I guy like Huerter.

There's a case to be made that Love or Nance should be seeing a lot more minutes at C, but if we ever want to run an effective defense we will need to pay Allen. I like what we've seen from Hartenstein who is like 20 days younger, but I think Allen has a lot more upside on defense that we haven't seen or unleashed yet thanks to his combination of length, timing, and ability to cover ground.

With these young players we always have to look forward to what they might do when their 25/26/27/etc. It's tricky in this day and age to be investing in the Center position, but I think there's a good chance we will get a pay off from investing in both of them.

We've seen this playout with Andy and Tristan who both continued to improve up to a point where they fell off. Andy due to injuries and Tristan due to reality TV. If Allen can avoid those pitfalls, I think his upside is much-much higher and Hartenstein's not too shabby either. IH is at nearly 17/13/5 per 36 at 22years which is way ahead of TT/Andy and not far behind Jokic.

So, yeah, there's a chance we could let Allen walk, sign IH and not regret it *if* when given more minutes he can keep up his level of production; but I'd much rather hold on to the few assets we have at this point.
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#131 » by LivingLegend » Tue May 4, 2021 6:26 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

There's a case to be made that Love or Nance should be seeing a lot more minutes at C, but if we ever want to run an effective defense we will need to pay Allen. I like what we've seen from Hartenstein who is like 20 days younger, but I think Allen has a lot more upside on defense that we haven't seen or unleashed yet thanks to his combination of length, timing, and ability to cover ground.

Nance/Allen as the starting PF/C next year would be wonderful. Neither clogs the lane, Nance can step out to 3, Allen showed he can too if hes forced to, they both play energetic defense, they both are still growing and they both are GOOD TEAMMATES>
With these young players we always have to look forward to what they might do when their 25/26/27/etc. It's tricky in this day and age to be investing in the Center position, but I think there's a good chance we will get a pay off from investing in both of them.

We've seen this playout with Andy and Tristan who both continued to improve up to a point where they fell off. Andy due to injuries and Tristan due to reality TV. If Allen can avoid those pitfalls, I think his upside is much-much higher and Hartenstein's not too shabby either. IH is at nearly 17/13/5 per 36 at 22years which is way ahead of TT/Andy and not far behind Jokic.

So, yeah, there's a chance we could let Allen walk, sign IH and not regret it *if* when given more minutes he can keep up his level of production; but I'd much rather hold on to the few assets we have at this point.

I mean gettting rid of Allen just to create another massive hole and spend another high draft pick on filling that position seems less than ideal. They already dug themselves a deep one by getting rid of KPJ prematurely.

Allen is 23 years old. He is already one of the elite rim protectors in the NBA and is more than competent enough as a finisher/lob threat. He has also shown some touch stepping out. He is the type of player you invest in, not dump. Dumping Allen just to draft Mobely seem like a good way to elongate a rebuild.

Not to mention--hes a high charictor guy. Something I actually value now considering the Cavs have more locker room instability over the past 5 years than any other team in the NBA.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#132 » by jbk1234 » Tue May 4, 2021 9:05 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:Prior to the West Coast trip, the offense was Drummond and Sexton taking a lot of shots against mediocre teams. It didn't seem very dynamic to me. Prince, who has been a very streaky shooter his entire career, was knocking down threes. That's really the only change I've seen.

Nance/Allen as the starting PF/C next year would be wonderful. Neither clogs the lane, Nance can step out to 3, Allen showed he can too if hes forced to, they both play energetic defense, they both are still growing and they both are GOOD TEAMMATES>

I mean gettting rid of Allen just to create another massive hole and spend another high draft pick on filling that position seems less than ideal. They already dug themselves a deep one by getting rid of KPJ prematurely.

Allen is 23 years old. He is already one of the elite rim protectors in the NBA and is more than competent enough as a finisher/lob threat. He has also shown some touch stepping out. He is the type of player you invest in, not dump. Dumping Allen just to draft Mobely seem like a good way to elongate a rebuild.

Not to mention--hes a high charictor guy. Something I actually value now considering the Cavs have more locker room instability over the past 5 years than any other team in the NBA.
I'd play Mobley at the 4 off the bench his first season. I like Allen, but I am worried whether he limits the team offensively and he's about to get paid. I also worry about how the game is officiated when it comes to smaller guys being able to foul bigger guys.

cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#133 » by LivingLegend » Fri May 7, 2021 5:18 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I'd play Mobley at the 4 off the bench his first season. I like Allen, but I am worried whether he limits the team offensively and he's about to get paid. I also worry about how the game is officiated when it comes to smaller guys being able to foul bigger guys.

I think by playing Sexton/Garland together, the Cavs have pigeon holed themselves into having to keep Allen around for a long time strictly for his rim protection.
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Post#134 » by Harper4Ferry? » Fri May 7, 2021 5:24 pm

Minnesota still has games with Orlando and Detroit. Losing out could get us into a potential 3-4 way tie for #2 at 21 wins(135 or128 or 127 combos), which would make the coinflips very important. But it's imperative that we lose out. Any win likely locks us in at #6(90 combos)
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#135 » by Stillwater » Fri May 7, 2021 6:03 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:

I think by playing Sexton/Garland together, the Cavs have pigeon holed themselves into having to keep Allen around for a long time strictly for his rim protection.

This team is one high draft pick away from being competitive or completely overhauled. If they pick in the top 2 it stays as is in the short term imo unless they view Cade as a pg. I don't. So with one of Cade or Mobley being taken nothing changes with the smaller back court & if they pick in the 3-4 range and don't upgrade to Suggs or Green in the starting line up maybe moving down a couple spots then the time of development for Kuminga or Barnes or unknown other prospect will require another season of little spacing but maybe long term will be the best 2 way players and have to be taken, although neither would replace the small back court unless they use Barnes like they did for FLA ST. If there is any chance he can be a pg in the ben Simmons mold I would entertain the idea but I doubt that happens because the Cavs are going to be picking 10th after they beat the Mavs tonight and will walk away with the sleeper of the lottery: Josh Giddey the Lamelo of this draft.
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#136 » by LivingLegend » Fri May 7, 2021 6:47 pm

Stillwater wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:I'd play Mobley at the 4 off the bench his first season. I like Allen, but I am worried whether he limits the team offensively and he's about to get paid. I also worry about how the game is officiated when it comes to smaller guys being able to foul bigger guys.

This team is one high draft pick away from being competitive or completely overhauled. If they pick in the top 2 it stays as is in the short term imo unless they view Cade as a pg. I don't. So with one of Cade or Mobley being taken nothing changes with the smaller back court & if they pick in the 3-4 range and don't upgrade to Suggs or Green in the starting line up maybe moving down a couple spots then the time of development for Kuminga or Barnes or unknown other prospect will require another season of little spacing but maybe long term will be the best 2 way players and have to be taken, although neither would replace the small back court unless they use Barnes like they did for FLA ST. If there is any chance he can be a pg in the ben Simmons mold I would entertain the idea but I doubt that happens because the Cavs are going to be picking 10th after they beat the Mavs tonight and will walk away with the sleeper of the lottery: Josh Giddey the Lamelo of this draft.

Love it, I love any and every idea that would move Sexton to being a super 6th man and getting rid of Love.
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,913

Post#137 » by tundraknight » Fri May 7, 2021 7:40 pm

LivingLegend wrote:I love any and every idea that would move Sexton to being a super 6th man and getting rid of Love.

We used to have our super 6th man in Jordan Clarkson, who is currently a PERFECT FIT on the Jazz.

If the Cavaliers get lucky in the draft lottery, another direction they could take is to draft Jalen Green to start along side Garland in the backcourt.

And Sexton could be that energetic, scoring machine, super 6th man off the bench.

Those types of players are very important for teams with contender aspirations.
LivingLegend
Head Coach

Post#138 » by LivingLegend » Fri May 7, 2021 8:57 pm

tundraknight wrote:
LivingLegend wrote:I love any and every idea that would move Sexton to being a super 6th man and getting rid of Love.

We used to have our super 6th man in Jordan Clarkson, who is currently a PERFECT FIT on the Jazz.

If the Cavaliers get lucky in the draft lottery, another direction they could take is to draft Jalen Green to start along side Garland in the backcourt.

And Sexton could be that energetic, scoring machine, super 6th man off the bench.

Agreed, problem is convincing Sexton in a contract year to come off the bench. I dont think that will end well. The Cavs need to trade him because if the 2nd half of this season has taught me anything its that 1) Garland is the superior player to build around and 2) Kevin Love is beyond washed and needs to stop being a diva every 2 weeks.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#139 » by Stillwater » Fri May 7, 2021 9:25 pm

LivingLegend wrote:
tundraknight wrote:

Agreed, problem is convincing Sexton in a contract year to come off the bench. I dont think that will end well. The Cavs need to trade him because if the 2nd half of this season has taught me anything its that 1) Garland is the superior player to build around and 2) Kevin Love is beyond washed and needs to stop being a diva every 2 weeks.

Hate to break it too you but Green is not any more proven than Sexton as a rookie by any means and Green would be the 6th man if that his rookie season.
Having a couple inches of head height and needing to add a significant amount of muscle to compete effectively in the nba is not moving your best player to the bench.
Garland has done well this season to run the sets and make plays but you cannot convince me outside of his handles and court vision that he is getting much better than he is being a sub par athlete beyond up'n his shot attempts and hopefully shot completion rate.
Suggs and Mitchell are immediate DG upgrades
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#140 » by jbk1234 » Sat May 8, 2021 2:50 am

LivingLegend wrote:
tundraknight wrote:

I think the decision on whether you trade Sexton is going to be closely tied to what you can get for him. The important thing is not to extend him early and ruin his trade value by poison pilling him.

cbosh4mvp wrote:

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers