Foul-baiting rule change is ON

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,722

Re: Foul-baiting rule change is ON 

Post#101 » by Ayt » Tue Oct 5, 2021 11:30 pm

jazzfan1971 wrote:Yeah, I can't imagine the refs will keep this up for long.

I don't like the foul hunting and I would have sent Curry to the line there.

That shouldn't be a defensive foul at any level of basketball.
DaPessimist
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,474

Post#102 » by DaPessimist » Tue Oct 5, 2021 11:31 pm

That shot was so unnatural he actually shoots it with his left hand. :lol:

I think we can all agree this is a good change.
mang121
Sophomore
And1: 157

Post#103 » by mang121 » Tue Oct 5, 2021 11:43 pm

It was a blatant travel too. Steph slides his pivot foot (left foot) about 1 foot backwards before elevating for his 'shot.' Refs are terrible.
SUPERVILLAIN
Analyst
And1: 12,237

Post#104 » by SUPERVILLAIN » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:21 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Young Stapler wrote:Completely off topic but SUPERVILLAIN got a crazy post/And1 ratio O_O

Just an observation. Carry on :usa:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2135964&p=94616946#p94616946
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,410

Post#105 » by FlyingArrow » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:07 am

SUPERVILLAIN wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

I dunno. On the 2nd one, glad that wasn't a defensive foul, but seems like it should be a no-call. It's kind of like a blocking foul on the guy with the ball. But at the same time, the dribbler was fast enough to get in front of him. Still, offensive foul is better than defensive foul on that play so at least it's an improvement.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,033

Post#106 » by queridiculo » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:21 am

FlyingArrow wrote:I dunno. On the 2nd one, glad that wasn't a defensive foul, but seems like it should be a no-call. It's kind of like a blocking foul on the guy with the ball. But at the same time, the dribbler was fast enough to get in front of him. Still, offensive foul is better than defensive foul on that play so at least it's an improvement.

I kind of agree and disagree at the same time.

The contact seems marginal, but the offensive player gains an advantage for his team by not allowing the defender to get back in transition.

To me that's the correct call because it's not a natural basketball move at that part of the court and no different than what the NBA is trying to accomplish on offense with freedom of movement.

Although we are talking about the ball handler here, this seems akin to a moving pick.
Statlanta
RealGM
And1: 9,097

Post#107 » by Statlanta » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:30 am

The rule change won't be considered on to me until they call that on Harden in Barclays and Trae in State Farm Arena.
East #1 Draft Picks: Fultz, Banchero, Wiggins, Cuninigham
West #1 Draft Picks: Edwards, WIlliamson, Ayton, Towns
naabzor
Analyst
And1: 2,715

Post#108 » by naabzor » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:03 am

queridiculo wrote:
FlyingArrow wrote:I dunno. On the 2nd one, glad that wasn't a defensive foul, but seems like it should be a no-call. It's kind of like a blocking foul on the guy with the ball. But at the same time, the dribbler was fast enough to get in front of him. Still, offensive foul is better than defensive foul on that play so at least it's an improvement.

I kind of agree and disagree at the same time.

The contact seems marginal, but the offensive player gains an advantage for his team by not allowing the defender to get back in transition.

To me that's the correct call because it's not a natural basketball move at that part of the court and no different than what the NBA is trying to accomplish on offense with freedom of movement.

Although we are talking about the ball handler here, this seems akin to a moving pick.

This does not make any sense. The guy with the ball is entitled to get everywhere on the court if it is not charging someone that has position so he can just put his body in front of the defender, there is no way it is an offensive foul. So when PGs blow past the defender and put them behind them, in "jail" as they said, that is now a foul? It is a pretty common move everyone is doing for the past 10 years and now it is a foul?
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,033

Post#109 » by queridiculo » Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:18 am

naabzor wrote:This does not make any sense. The guy with the ball is entitled to get everywhere on the court if it is not charging someone that has position so he can just put his body in front of the defender, there is no way it is an offensive foul. So when PGs blow past the defender and put them behind them, in "jail" as they said, that is now a foul? It is a pretty common move everyone is doing for the past 10 years and now it is a foul?

The ball handler isn't exactly getting in front of the defender here, he changes direction and initiates contact in mid court without making any attempt at a legit basketball play.

What was the end game of that move? It certainly wasn't to make a play at the basket, it wasn't to get a clear lane to the basket either, nor was it intended to seal the defender or to protect the ball.

The ball handler was either trying to draw a foul or to impede the progress of the defender, and the rule changes have been put in place to address precisely that.

What the ball handler is doing here isn't exactly much different from an offensive foul.
SUPERVILLAIN
Analyst
And1: 12,237

Post#110 » by SUPERVILLAIN » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:50 am

No call for Westbrook in Staples Center.

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Young Stapler wrote:Completely off topic but SUPERVILLAIN got a crazy post/And1 ratio O_O

Just an observation. Carry on :usa:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2135964&p=94616946#p94616946
MrPerfect1
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,425

Post#111 » by MrPerfect1 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:54 am

Hilarious response by Westbrook. Is he usually that funny?
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,206

Post#112 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:22 am

SUPERVILLAIN wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

wtf? What was unnatural about Harden's first shot? Unless he hooked him and I missed it due to angle. Otherwise that's not what the new rule is about.

The second one, glad that wasn't a defensive foul but....that seems like an obvious no call.
evilpimp972
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,755

Post#113 » by evilpimp972 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:26 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
SUPERVILLAIN wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

wtf? What was unnatural about Harden's first shot? Unless he hooked him and I missed it due to angle. Otherwise that's not what the new rule is about.

The second one, glad that wasn't a defensive foul but....that seems like an obvious no call.

He clearly tried to create contact, which is part of the new rule
Tinseltown wrote:
True Story wrote:KD is the best player in the NBA.

Kevin Durant is a better scorer than Jordan

MJ was never this efficient
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#114 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:36 am

evilpimp972 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
SUPERVILLAIN wrote:1

He took a shot while someone was MAKING contact. At least from what I see it looks like he's driving, the guy has an arm or hand or something on Harden, so he pulls up. Can a defender now just make contact to prevent a shot because it's unnatural to pull up when you're being fouled?
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,237

Post#115 » by John Murdoch » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:38 am

They learned from fiba refs this summer
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
KingDavid
Forum Mod - Heat
Forum Mod - Heat
And1: 39,616

Post#116 » by KingDavid » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:23 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
evilpimp972 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

He took a shot while someone was MAKING contact. At least from what I see it looks like he's driving, the guy has an arm or hand or something on Harden, so he pulls up. Can a defender now just make contact to prevent a shot because it's unnatural to pull up when you're being fouled?

You just described handchecking. Interesting.
#HEATLifer

Long Live Kobe Bryant. My idol's idol.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#117 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:30 am

KingDavid wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
evilpimp972 wrote:He clearly tried to create contact, which is part of the new rule

You just described handchecking. Interesting.

I don't recall handchecking being allowed when someone was pulling up for a shot. Otherwise man...jordan would have just held everyone's hand/arm when the pulled up.
jehosafats
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,577

Post#118 » by jehosafats » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:41 am

Now more players will huddle up with the refs between possessions just to brainstorm when/how they get those calls.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#119 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:43 am

I wonder what happens if the player takes a step in and pulls up. This prevents the "unnatural" issue but it moves these from 3 to 2 shot fouls. Seems like a reasonable counter...also could get defenders jumping stupidly hurt.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,487

Post#120 » by OkcSinceSGA » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:12 pm

Please please stick with this rule. It will give the fans nonstop comedy highlights and improve the game. Next address the moving screens. Then we will see defenders truly have a shot.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.

Return to The General Board