Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,410

Re: Welcome Tyrese Maxey! 

Post#881 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:48 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:I do. Trying to avoid all the smoke and mirrors and evaluate this thing properly so to make sure setting the correct expectations. If I was seeing exponential growth, I'd be getting hype to. But the metrics say we're just seeing the same player with more minutes.

You’re ignoring the increased efficiency. His PER has gone from 14.5 to 19.4.

I happy for the efficiency increase. Especially because he's a great free throw shooter and he's increased his free throw rate. But his average shot distance is in the 11 foot range. He should be efficient with that low degree of difficulty.

If he's taking defenders off the dribble and getting into that mid range area along with drawing fouls and scoring at a 50% clip then he's more than doing his job. You can't expect him to ever become a prime Lillard or a Jamaal Murray. If he was any better of an outside shooter, he would have gone top five in the draft. It's a work in progress and I think the outside shooting will come. I agree that it's a little concerning in terms of what to expect from him in the future, but if he stays healthy, there's no reason to think he can't get better from beyond the arc. Obviously we want hall of fame talent at the position, but if his ceiling is Tony Parker/Lou Williams then that's pretty damn good if you ask me. He didn't have a single turnover last night in a game where you would expect him to press the issue, in a game where Portland really dialed it up on the defensive end. Crazy I know, but Portland defended very well last night. They were locked in, Billups has them working with a new identity on that side of the ball.

You want a 4th quarter player? Maxey scored 15 points in the final quarter last night and had us in a position to really make it a ball game towards the end. Tobias got hurt, we had a few bad calls go our way, we had a few mishaps on defense and both Lillard and Powell hit a few 40 foot bombs against us just for the fun of it. Doc also went with his small ball lineup which I don't understand and we got killed on the boards. Maxey isn't the type of player that's going to just win a game for you all by himself. Those players are far and few between. But he can be a mainstay on a team that already has a superstar in Joel Embiid.

I also agree about avoiding all smoke and mirrors, but from what I have seen, there isn't too much. The only thing I have a question about is...Is he a closer type of player? As of right now, I don't see that. If he's attacking late in the game and trying to win us a ball game, then he has to be able to make the right decision in terms of giving up the ball to an open shooter OR finding Embiid/Tobias. He doesn't seem scared of the moment though like Tobias is, and he doesn't seem like a turnover waiting to happen in the moment the way it usually goes with Embiid. He just has to be able to hit a clutch shot. Last night he missed a three late in the game that would have brought us to within one point and shifted the momentum in our favor. I felt like if he would have hit that three, we would have won the game. That was the ONLY thing he missed on last night, but it was big in my opinion. He's got to hit those shots when we need him to.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#882 » by Kobblehead » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:56 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:You’re ignoring the increased efficiency. His PER has gone from 14.5 to 19.4.

I happy for the efficiency increase. Especially because he's a great free throw shooter and he's increased his free throw rate. But his average shot distance is in the 11 foot range. He should be efficient with that low degree of difficulty.

If he's taking defenders off the dribble and getting into that mid range area along with drawing fouls and scoring at a 50% clip then he's more than doing his job. You can't expect him to ever become a prime Lillard or a Jamaal Murray. If he was any better of an outside shooter, he would have gone top five in the draft. It's a work in progress and I think the outside shooting will come. I agree that it's a little concerning in terms of what to expect from him in the future, but if he stays healthy, there's no reason to think he can't get better from beyond the arc. Obviously we want hall of fame talent at the position, but if his ceiling is Tony Parker/Lou Williams then that's pretty damn good if you ask me. He didn't have a single turnover last night in a game where you would expect him to press the issue, in a game where Portland really dialed it up on the defensive end. Crazy I know, but Portland defended very well last night. They were locked in, Billups has them working with a new identity on that side of the ball.

You want a 4th quarter player? Maxey scored 15 points in the final quarter last night and had us in a position to really make it a ball game towards the end. Tobias got hurt, we had a few bad calls go our way, we had a few mishaps on defense and both Lillard and Powell hit a few 40 foot bombs against us just for the fun of it. Doc also went with his small ball lineup which I don't understand and we got killed on the boards. Maxey isn't the type of player that's going to just win a game for you all by himself. Those players are far and few between. But he can be a mainstay on a team that already has a superstar in Joel Embiid.

I also agree about avoiding all smoke and mirrors, but from what I have seen, there isn't too much. The only thing I have a question about is...Is he a closer type of player? As of right now, I don't see that. If he's attacking late in the game and trying to win us a ball game, then he has to be able to make the right decision in terms of giving up the ball to an open shooter OR finding Embiid/Tobias. He doesn't seem scared of the moment though like Tobias is, and he doesn't seem like a turnover waiting to happen in the moment the way it usually goes with Embiid. He just has to be able to hit a clutch shot. Last night he missed a three late in the game that would have brought us to within one point and shifted the momentum in our favor. I felt like if he would have hit that three, we would have won the game. That was the ONLY thing he missed on last night, but it was big in my opinion. He's got to hit those shots when we need him to.

Great post. Fair points and I agree. The biggest shoe to drop that I'm waiting for is for Maxey to leverage his newfound three point accuracy into an exponential increase in shooting volume. Once he has that Jordan Clarkson epiphany.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,667

Post#883 » by rzzzzz » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:56 pm

So maybe he’s developing into a good point guard. The kid is a scholar of the practice court. But I got to ask whether he’s more a natural born scorer. At this point he needs to deliver the ball and worry about keeping other guys active. Which are good skills to have for any player. But there are a lot of times I watch him and wished he would be a little more selfish throughout the game, and not just let’m fly at the end. So I wouldn’t mind him playing next to Haliburton, etc. But he’ll handle it OK if we end up returning Grant.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#884 » by Kobblehead » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:06 pm

I think he's an inoffensive teammate. He plays like he's mindful of not being overly aggressive and annoying his peers. Which is the conundrum I see too that I described as him floating around doing nothing.

I want him to eventually fill those instances of floating with catch and shoot threes and more facilitating. That way, he can continue picking his spots and being sporadically aggressive, but still be useful from a spacing and passing perspective when he's not attacking.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,707

Post#885 » by Sixersftw » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:30 pm

Kobblehead wrote:I think he's an inoffensive teammate. He plays like he's mindful of not being overly aggressive and annoying his peers. Which is the conundrum I see too that I described as him floating around doing nothing.

I want him to eventually fill those instances of floating with catch and shoot threes and more facilitating. That way, he can continue picking his spots and being sporadically aggressive, but still be useful from a spacing and passing perspective when he's not attacking.

I generally agree with the inoffensive teamate thing but some of that floating around may have to do with the ball never returning to him in certain situations too. The Curry-Tobi DHO almost always results in Curry trying to penetrate if someone closes out at 3 or Curry immediately passing to Tobi for a post up on a more favorable match up. Either way, big time blackhole energy. W/the bench Maxey seems way more active spacing to the corners and generally making himself more available.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,410

Post#886 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:22 pm

I will say this about him. He's got to quit looking so hesitant on his spot up threes. If the shot is there and he's wide open then he needs to just let it fly.
DCasey91
General Manager
And1: 5,261

Post#887 » by DCasey91 » Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:30 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:I do. Trying to avoid all the smoke and mirrors and evaluate this thing properly so to make sure setting the correct expectations. If I was seeing exponential growth, I'd be getting hype to. But the metrics say we're just seeing the same player with more minutes.

You’re ignoring the increased efficiency. His PER has gone from 14.5 to 19.4.

Fox is 12 foot range for his career and he has bogus tier shooting splits. We don’t need Fox at all when Maxey is right there in front of us blossoming as we speak.

Maxey is the last person to be critical of and the least of our problems.

His TS is 61%! In a time where players like him are strugggling to epic proportions.

But sure Kobble he’s the same player.... whatever you say I remind myself that it’ll end being wrong 95% of the time lol. The only hit you’ve ever had is Cole literally 50 other things are disaster outcomes or just flat out wrong like KD can’t iso or something like that.

NAW sucks

Curry and Harris do have hesitant triggers btw.

His PG skills and shooting are coming along rapidly. His defense has a lot left or be desired but maybe it’s taking on more responsibility on offense or maybe not who knows.

But Maxey is legit no chance I’m trading him for Grant yuck.

Dude doesn’t turn the ball over ever because his handle is elite as heck and so is his finishing. It’s basically an old man Rose game in a young man’s body. That’s exactly what we need and not to just give away.

18+ points on 13+ FGA is far beyond my expectations. Was looking for around 15/12 split and a 34% 3 ball.

A+ in my eyes and the only one besides Minivan
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 9,784

Post#888 » by Murray_17 » Mon Nov 22, 2021 5:22 pm

Kobblehead wrote:I happy for the efficiency increase. Especially because he's a great free throw shooter and he's increased his free throw rate. But his average shot distance is in the 11 foot range. He should be efficient with that low degree of difficulty.

So you hate Fox now too? :lol:
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,339

Post#889 » by 76ciology » Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:04 pm

I didnt write the article

https://sixerswire.usatoday.com/2021/11/18/sixers-guard-tyrese-maxey-draws-comparison-to-spurs-legend-tony-parker/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0LLEyGG9qNshzZJdV6kdQdTTEZprnBDOOlibf0tU6YP1fQXiEkIAy8U3E

Per John Hollinger of The Athletic:

Maxey still depends to an unusual extent on difficult running bankers, and that makes you a little nervous projecting his future. But his first-step burst is undeniable and unteachable. If he can leverage tricks like the catch-and-go and tweaks to his off-the-dribble game to get to the rim just a bit more often, and if the basketball gods sprinkle in some stardust, you can start imagining a career trajectory that doesn’t look all that different from Tony Parker’s.
Parker is a guy who developed into one of the top point guards in the league and he won a finals MVP in 2007 and if Maxey can continue his current developmental track, it would go a long way in helping the Sixers continue to compete at a high level.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
strotorious
Ballboy
And1: 51

Post#890 » by strotorious » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:22 pm

As impressed as I've been with his overall play, there was one bad action he did several times against Sacramento last night that he can't make a habit of. There were probably at least five possessions in that game where he had the ball, the defense was set, the shot clock was around five, and he passed it to a noticeably weaker shot creator who was in no position to score and had to make something out of nothing. The results were exactly what you'd expect from a Drummond drive or Niang deep contested three.

I hadn't noticed that previously so maybe he was simply acknowledging that he was having an off night shooting from distance, but if he's going to be the lead guard he needs to be the one taking those shots unless he can find someone a better one.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,664

Post#891 » by Kolkmania » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:24 pm

strotorious wrote:As impressed as I've been with his overall play, there was one bad action he did several times against Sacramento last night that he can't make a habit of. There were probably at least five possessions in that game where he had the ball, the defense was set, the shot clock was around five, and he passed it to a noticeably weaker shot creator who was in no position to score and had to make something out of nothing. The results were exactly what you'd expect from a Drummond drive or Niang deep contested three.

I hadn't noticed that previously so maybe he was simply acknowledging that he was having an off night shooting from distance, but if he's going to be the lead guard he needs to be the one taking those shots unless he can find someone a better one.

Well this is a recurring theme right? He's only shooting within the rhythm of the offense, his usage rate is actually lower than last year. It will certainly hurt his efficiency, but I think the time has come that he has to be more assertive when the offense stalls. Not sure whether it is an intrinsic or Doc Rivers thing though.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#892 » by Kobblehead » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:53 pm

Murray_17 wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:I happy for the efficiency increase. Especially because he's a great free throw shooter and he's increased his free throw rate. But his average shot distance is in the 11 foot range. He should be efficient with that low degree of difficulty.

wuchoo talmbout, fox good
Murray_17
RealGM

Post#893 » by Murray_17 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:02 am

Kobblehead wrote:
Murray_17 wrote:

And what does Fox does outside 11 foot range?
Locrian
Freshman
And1: 79

Post#894 » by Locrian » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:41 am

strotorious wrote:As impressed as I've been with his overall play, there was one bad action he did several times against Sacramento last night that he can't make a habit of. There were probably at least five possessions in that game where he had the ball, the defense was set, the shot clock was around five, and he passed it to a noticeably weaker shot creator who was in no position to score and had to make something out of nothing. The results were exactly what you'd expect from a Drummond drive or Niang deep contested three.

I rather throw the ball out of bound than to Drummond in this situation
Sofia wrote:Oh dear OP. Goodnight.

4 weeks ago:
Kyrie trade thread
Old Celtics wrote:We wouldn't trade Brown for Irving straight up, never mind for Isaiah also. lol lol lol
76ciology
RealGM

Post#895 » by 76ciology » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:34 am

Kolkmania wrote:

Well this is a recurring theme right? He's only shooting within the rhythm of the offense, his usage rate is actually lower than last year. It will certainly hurt his efficiency, but I think the time has come that he has to be more assertive when the offense stalls. Not sure whether it is an intrinsic or Doc Rivers thing though.

Its the contrary. He’s doing it for his efficiency.

Its also a Doc Rivers/Cassell coaching thing.

Its also not bad because Maxey is not Dame Lillard, he’s like Tobias (scoring built by Doc’s coaching) in terms of scoring where he’s better off knowing when to pick his spots while their efficiency drops if they force it because they’re not one of those gifted scorers like KD or Steph.

OG coaching like Doug Collins of “know your role and star in your role” with a mix of new school stuff of how the game is played
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#896 » by 76ciology » Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:36 am

^ here’s something to look at in our next games

When the shotclock is running down, Maxey also likes to call for a screen play rather than create off the dribble on ISO. Where you’d see star scorers would choose the later.

He also seems money on the right elbow which is great given Embiid likes operating on the left baseline.
Kobblehead
RealGM

Post#897 » by Kobblehead » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:22 pm

Murray_17 wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:
Murray_17 wrote:

deefence and pazzing
Murray_17
RealGM

Post#898 » by Murray_17 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:08 pm

Kobblehead wrote:
Murray_17 wrote:
Kobblehead wrote:wuchoo talmbout, fox good

deefence and pazzing

He's averaging just one assist more than "average, second year, distributor" Tyrese Maxey and his defence is a joke.
blargh
Pro Prospect
And1: 580

Post#899 » by blargh » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:17 pm

76ciology wrote:^ here’s something to look at in our next games

When the shotclock is running down, Maxey also likes to call for a screen play rather than create off the dribble on ISO. Where you’d see star scorers would choose the later.

He also seems money on the right elbow which is great given Embiid likes operating on the left baseline.

He’s got limited iso options right now. You can tell he’s working on the stepback three, and i think with his work ethic it’ll get there. There’s nothing mechanically wrong with it, its just not ready yet.

He doesn’t have the burst from a standstill of great iso scorers: he’s not a 0-60mph guy, he’s more of a 30-90mph guy. He’s really fast accelerating into a gap or around a screen. He also doesn’t have tricky ballhandling, but obviously he has really solid ballhandling- he doesn’t give the ball up, even in traffic.

All of these are why i think the Tony Parker analogy is pretty apt. He can be an extremely effective scorer, but he will need a screen or two to unlock it. That’s not necessarily a dealbreaker in crunchtime situations. Most end-of-game drawn-up plays do involve a screen. Honestly, I used to hate the old AI end-of-game possessions where we used to flatten it out and let him dance for a low-efficiency jumper.
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,369

Post#900 » by Eyeamok » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:23 pm

76ciology wrote:I didnt write the article

https://sixerswire.usatoday.com/2021/11/18/sixers-guard-tyrese-maxey-draws-comparison-to-spurs-legend-tony-parker/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR0LLEyGG9qNshzZJdV6kdQdTTEZprnBDOOlibf0tU6YP1fQXiEkIAy8U3E

Per John Hollinger of The Athletic:

Maxey still depends to an unusual extent on difficult running bankers, and that makes you a little nervous projecting his future. But his first-step burst is undeniable and unteachable. If he can leverage tricks like the catch-and-go and tweaks to his off-the-dribble game to get to the rim just a bit more often, and if the basketball gods sprinkle in some stardust, you can start imagining a career trajectory that doesn’t look all that different from Tony Parker’s.
Parker is a guy who developed into one of the top point guards in the league and he won a finals MVP in 2007 and if Maxey can continue his current developmental track, it would go a long way in helping the Sixers continue to compete at a high level.

You know Maxey and Embiid are the 2 guys on this team that seem to be able to develop new wrinkles to their game and improve very quickly. I have no doubt that Maxey will continue to improve and work on his flaws. No doubt at all.
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo

Return to Philadelphia 76ers