Image ImageImage Image

Bears talk 2.0; Fields era begins for real for real

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

sco
RealGM
And1: 7,616

Re: Bears talk 2.0; Fields era begins for real for real 

Post#1541 » by sco » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:15 pm

TheFinishSniper wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:
sco wrote:https://www.sportsmockery.com/chicago-bears/chicago-bears-rumors/wild-rumor-reignites-idea-chicago-bears-may-soon-have-new-owner/

Goodness I want the McCaskey family gone, but Bezos already owns most of my life, I’m not sure I want him owning my teams too lol. I guess it’s inevitable, you know the team would be better run for sure, logistics is his thing. He will have a service where Amazon trucks pick you up and deliver you to the game or maybe the drones will. Just imagine looking up in the sky and seeing a bunch of drunk bears fans after a game being dropped off by drones. Totally stupid but the image is making me chuckle.

I already put part of my savings into Amazon. At least he can do for me is make Bears great franchise once again.

He could start by sending Nagy into space!
:clap:
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,896
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Post#1542 » by MalagaBulls » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:47 pm

DT & Mack done for the year. As bad as this sounds we may need to start rebuilding the O first & cut bait with Mack, Quinn, DT, & Jackson if we can get good draft capital.
We can probably get a 3rd & 4th for Mack, a 3rd for Quinn if he continues to play better, & maybe a 3rd for Jackson. Use our 2nd & 3rd for more O pieces (WR & C).
Then sign one good O piece. Start building the D back up around Smith & JJ.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,135

Post#1543 » by Michael Jackson » Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:59 pm

MalagaBulls wrote:DT & Mack done for the year. As bad as this sounds we may need to start rebuilding the O first & cut bait with Mack, Quinn, DT, & Jackson if we can get good draft capital.
We can probably get a 3rd & 4th for Mack, a 3rd for Quinn if he continues to play better, & maybe a 3rd for Jackson. Use our 2nd & 3rd for more O pieces (WR & C).

Pace buys himself some more time doing that and Nagy can hang. Pace gets to rebuild. If he could do that, it would redeem him from his blunders.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,429

Post#1544 » by Susan » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:22 pm

Michael Jackson wrote:
MalagaBulls wrote:DT & Mack done for the year. As bad as this sounds we may need to start rebuilding the O first & cut bait with Mack, Quinn, DT, & Jackson if we can get good draft capital.

Pace buys himself some more time doing that and Nagy can hang. Pace gets to rebuild. If he could do that, it would redeem him from his blunders.

I'd keep Mack because I'd fear stripping the D of too much talent at once and he's been a superstar - those guys typically are good until their mid 30s (look at Julius Peppers, Bruce Smith, Reggie White, Terrell Suggs).

Let Hicks, Robinson, Dalton and whatever free agents that will count towards the compensatory pick formula in 2023 walk, cut dead weight so there's a lot of dead cap in 2022 but ample cap room in 2023 (Ejax, Foles, Danny T, Cohen, Goldman?) and Trade Quinn for whatever draft capital you can get.

Extend Roquan, James Daniels and Nichols. Avoid free agency this year to game the comp pick formula.

2023 you're loaded with cap space, draft capital because you had lots of guys walk and didn't spend in FA and that's what makes the compensatory pick formula work and a team that's ready to contend. You burn it too far down you turn into the Lions, completely devoid of talent and a perennial loser.
micromonkey
Starter
And1: 627

Post#1545 » by micromonkey » Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:39 pm

dougthonus wrote:
I don't know if I know what a single one of these stats mean. Hopefully they are indicative of something, because the Bears offense still blows, Fields has three TDs (2 passing, 1 rushing) vs 2 INTs and 2 Fumbles (0 lost) over that time and has averaged a paltry, by modern NFL standards, 233 yards per game over that stretch. Both games were Bears losses.

I'm not deep into football stats like I am basketball stats, and I got to be honest, I was watching the Bulls on MNF, so missed that game in its entirety. I've been on the throw Fields into the fire and see what you got camp from day 1, but it sure doesn't seem like a whole lot so far. Not panic worthy in his rookie year, maybe these are are signs of real growth from him, but I'd say my confidence went from about 50/50 on whether the Bears solved their QB problem to about 35/65 so far this season. Though statistically, it does look like that last game was his best of the year, and I missed it (no regrets given the Bulls game).

If you take his box stats --yes they are bad--but after the past 2 games - I'm slightly more Bullish on Fields maybe 60/40 (bears googles) but I truly think that coaching/scheme/organization is still a huge part. Again we need a bigger sample size but these stats show he is at least effective in running "hero ball", longer passes, effective running/scrambles. His run vs the 49ers was elite--I didn't know he was that good at running honestly. Who else in the NFL QB could possibly make that run? Lamar, Murray....and....??

But this is not the real way to win games consistently. Those skills should be reserved for comeback wins, last minute drives, broken plays etc. And you really don't want that many broken plays. Part of that problem is that we are asking/gameplanning a lot of hero ball--longer passes--that inherently are lower completion percentage, higher risk, more time in pocket plays. The aDOT and Big time throw stats are proof of that--and so are the sacks and consequent fumbles.

The managing the game part is what I want to see next. While the term "game manager" is typically used in a derogatory manner to describe a Kirk Cousins-ish type--that is not what I'm talking about. When its there you take the easy stuff--sometimes taking a shot long if its open. Its the full package--like when we saw Rodgers play us last. I saw a lot of screens and short reads--but also some strikes when needed. That balance is what makes a true franchise QB. Getting rid of it quick frustrates D's, limits sack exposure and moves the sticks if done well. It also sets up the big play--now they don't blitz and they sit on the short route---boom hit them long. So far its something that Nagy is unable to orchestrate with any regularity.

And I don't think the managing side should be taken as the easier skill. Its easier arm wise for sure. But it amounts to quick reads and getting rid of the ball quickly. Out of the rooks we know Mac Jones definitely has THAT. I would not underestimate that skill. Looking at Fields release time in "nextgen" stats he doesn't hold the ball that long--he gets rid of it the same time as Mahomes and actually slightly faster than Murray. So he's not hopelessly outclassed. For reference Mac Jones is already ranked 5th best, a hair trigger faster than Rodgers--so he's already elite in that regard. In any case Fields is not an extreme outlier in that regard--so its not a red flag. FYI Zach Wilson is dead last and this might be a red flag for him. Its not an end all be all-Tua is 3rd fastest but he hasn't been tearing it up either.

This is also on the coach/team, etc. What we have seen is the flash and sizzle-make the kid throw 15 yard deep routes all day is what they have been doing. No one else is doing that--not Brady or Rodgers. I'm not saying Fields is better at it--just we are asking him to do it and he's doing it. But these are inherently "worse" plays conversion wise plays, hence his efficiency is still mediocre. Its high risk / reward--and I'm not sure I want to be "building" a gambler. This happens a lot on bad teams and it becomes a doom cycle for young QBs forced to make less than optimal plays because of poor gameplan and getting behind and needing/trying to make the big play. This is why I want Nagy outta here.

The "steak" is if he can minimize mistakes and consistently convert 3rd downs, avoid turnovers and march down the field keeping our defense off the field. Not that I don't want the sizzle--but you also need to be efficient--a lot that is on the scheme. We simply don't pass to RB's or run almost any behind the line passes. Its 90% run or long pass only--which he's been acing if you grade on that curve --which is what those stats are showing.

I still have major scheme and playcalling issues--but the kid looks like under the right coaching and scheme he has something--but with all the bad we saw early he will need to show more good now to really be 100% confident.
Susan
RealGM

Post#1546 » by Susan » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:00 pm

Looks like Lamar is really sick today, no idea if he's going to play.

Gunna be a weird game.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,206

Post#1547 » by fleet » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:02 pm

The best outcome would be if the Bears lost 50-49 and Fields throws for 480 yards and 7 touchdowns. Lamar needs to tough this thing out.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Susan
RealGM

Post#1548 » by Susan » Sun Nov 21, 2021 4:28 pm

fleet wrote:The best outcome would be if the Bears lost 50-49 and Fields throws for 480 yards and 7 touchdowns. Lamar needs to tough this thing out.

We don't have our pick next year, there's no tanking and it's clear Nagy is outta here after the season. I'm excited to watch and completely indifferent towards the outcome of the game.

Read on Twitter

Lamar is out.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1549 » by fleet » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:00 pm

Did they flex this game?
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,059

Post#1550 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:19 pm

Santos new kicking streak. 2 misses in a row
biggestbullsfan
RealGM
And1: 1,879

Post#1551 » by biggestbullsfan » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:26 pm

Fields throwing that ball away might be my most favorite play by him this year. We need him to recognize that and not take the loss. That’s growth
Susan
RealGM

Post#1552 » by Susan » Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:28 pm

Damn, Robert Quinn is gunna have some trade value this offseason.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1553 » by fleet » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:23 pm

Welp.

Huntley 102 yards first half first game
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#1554 » by TheFinishSniper » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:28 pm

Matt Nagy's special - going scoreless in 1st half. How the f do you still have a job??????
Susan
RealGM

Post#1555 » by Susan » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:29 pm

fleet wrote:Welp

Don't think we're gunna see a Nagy extension after today.

Roquan is a monster. He's gunna get 20 tackles today.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1556 » by fleet » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:31 pm

TheFinishSniper wrote:Matt Nagy's special - going scoreless in 1st half. How the f do you still have a job??????

I don’t think futility out of the bye its just a Nagy thing. It was grandfathered in
bad knees
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#1557 » by bad knees » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:34 pm

Tyler Huntley outplaying Justin Fields. Did not anticipate that.
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant

Post#1558 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:57 pm

Where are those type of play calls when Fields is in there?
Susan
RealGM

Post#1559 » by Susan » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:00 pm

IliketheBullsNBearstoo wrote:Where are those type of play calls when Fields is in there?

They figured out how to run a screen play finally. lmao.
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant

Post#1560 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:02 pm

Susan wrote:
IliketheBullsNBearstoo wrote:Where are those type of play calls when Fields is in there?

They figured out how to run a screen play finally. lmao.

It just baffles me….

Return to Chicago Bulls