ImageImageImage

Is there any plausible scenario in which Schroeder is an important part of the Cs' future?

Moderators: bisme37, djFan71, sully00, Froob, snowman, ParticleMan, canman1971, The Comedian, Parliament10

TH15
Ballboy
Posts: 41
And1: 71
Joined: Jun 18, 2021

Re: Is there any plausible scenario in which Schroeder is an important part of the Cs' future? 

Post#41 » by TH15 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:54 am

Ok, I’ve figured this out. Fans organize a massive online petition to convince some major local brand like Dunkin’ to sign Schroder to a huge sponsorship deal that’s contingent on him playing in Boston next year. The amount of goodwill this would earn that brand from this fan base would pay off big I’d think if we got like a million people who pledge to support them in the petition…. Is this covered in the cba? Lol

This would just be a stopgap until we are able sign him to a legit deal, which I think we could do a year from now but maybe I’m wrong.
Jammer
General Manager
Posts: 7,501
And1: 1,594
Joined: Mar 06, 2001
Contact:
 

Re: Is there any plausible scenario in which Schroeder is an important part of the Cs' future? 

Post#42 » by Jammer » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:36 pm

TH15 wrote:Ok, I’ve figured this out. Fans organize a massive online petition to convince some major local brand like Dunkin’ to sign Schroder to a huge sponsorship deal that’s contingent on him playing in Boston next year. The amount of goodwill this would earn that brand from this fan base would pay off big I’d think if we got like a million people who pledge to support them in the petition…. Is this covered in the cba? Lol

This would just be a stopgap until we are able sign him to a legit deal, which I think we could do a year from now but maybe I’m wrong.


Nice try, but the minute the money is "team specific" I suspect that would be circumventing the salary cap per the CBA.
User avatar
greenroom31
Head Coach
Posts: 7,466
And1: 10,018
Joined: Nov 06, 2004

 

Post#43 » by greenroom31 » Sun Dec 5, 2021 5:09 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:Chris Forsberg sees it the same way, but provides some more specific numbers.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/what-dennis-schroders-future-celtics-weighing-bostons-options


Revisiting this subject as Schroder continues to grow in the system and demonstrate how valuable (and destructive to opposing defenses) he can be. Assuming Schroder isn't willing to stick around for MLE money, the key part from the article Fencer linked above is as follows:

Boston’s path to cap space is loaded with obstacles. Essentially, to get to even $20 million in cap space next summer the Celtics have to trim to bare bones of Tatum, Brown, Rob Williams, Marcus Smart, Aaron Nesmith and Payton Pritchard. That would mean having to get off the final year of Al Horford’s partially guaranteed contract, moving the recently extended Josh Richardson, and also dealing Romeo Langford and Grant Williams along the way. All this without bringing back salary that would linger on the 2022-23 books.

The Celtics could move Smart as his four-year, $77 million extension kicks in but, again, would need to limit salary coming back if they desire to get an even bigger chunk of cap space. And even if Boston did all that, would it want to use its one remaining swing of the bat on a shoot-first guard with a streaky 3-point shot who will turn 29 before the start of next season? There would likely be better options to pursue even if the Celtics did open cap space.


Next year's payroll currently looks like this:

Tatum - $30.4M
Jaylen - $28.7M
Al - $26.5M
Smart - $17.2M
Richardson - $12.2M
RW3 - $10.7M
Juancho - $7.4M
Romeo - $5.6M
Grant - $4.3M
Nesmith - $3.8M
Pritchard - $2.2M

That's 11 guys at $149M.

As much as I've loved Al's contribution this year it's hard to see him as a long-term solution, and if we had to sacrifice him to keep Schroder I'd do it. Richardson has been good but Nesmith should be able to step up and fill his shoes. Juancho is an easy decision, though Romeo and Grant are a bit tougher... especially Grant.

Wonder if we could keep Tatum, Jaylen, Smart, RW3, Grant, and Nesmith and still have ~$20M to pay Schroder? By my math those 6 guys would collectively cost $95.1M which should put us about $24M under the cap. Can any cap experts tell me if this possible or would it really require moving Jaylen or something to be realistic financially?
User avatar
Larry_Russell
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,421
And1: 968
Joined: Jun 23, 2021

Re: Is there any plausible scenario in which Schroeder is an important part of the Cs' future? 

Post#44 » by Larry_Russell » Sun Dec 5, 2021 5:13 pm

Schroder is not getting 20 mill a season.

Thats how you financially ruin a team.

Denis needs 20ppg in order to be a positive on the court. Less than that hebis neutral to negative.

He needs to be traded by deadline to a team going on a push to nab a young player/picks
SHOOTERS, SHOOTERS, SHOOTERS
Someone coach Ime Udoka on how to coach
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
Posts: 30,327
And1: 16,958
Joined: Oct 25, 2006

Re: Is there any plausible scenario in which Schroeder is an important part of the Cs' future? 

Post#45 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Dec 6, 2021 5:36 am

Larry_Russell wrote:Schroder is not getting 20 mill a season.

Thats how you financially ruin a team.

Denis needs 20ppg in order to be a positive on the court. Less than that hebis neutral to negative.

He needs to be traded by deadline to a team going on a push to nab a young player/picks


How do you think Schroeder's value compares to that of various taller scorers -- Fourier, the Bogdanovics, Bertans, etc.?
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
Posts: 30,327
And1: 16,958
Joined: Oct 25, 2006

Re: Is there any plausible scenario in which Schroeder is an important part of the Cs' future? 

Post#46 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Dec 6, 2021 5:37 am

By the way -- unless I'm terribly mistaken, the Celtics can NOT get under the cap to re-sign Schroeder and then use their TPEs. The TPEs would have to be renounced first.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
User avatar
Larry_Russell
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,421
And1: 968
Joined: Jun 23, 2021

Re: Is there any plausible scenario in which Schroeder is an important part of the Cs' future? 

Post#47 » by Larry_Russell » Mon Dec 6, 2021 10:35 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:
Larry_Russell wrote:Schroder is not getting 20 mill a season.

Thats how you financially ruin a team.

Denis needs 20ppg in order to be a positive on the court. Less than that hebis neutral to negative.

He needs to be traded by deadline to a team going on a push to nab a young player/picks


How do you think Schroeder's value compares to that of various taller scorers -- Fourier, the Bogdanovics, Bertans, etc.?


Fournier is grossly overpaid bit conparable
Same with bertrans

Lower than the bogdans
SHOOTERS, SHOOTERS, SHOOTERS
Someone coach Ime Udoka on how to coach
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
Posts: 19,212
And1: 10,962
Joined: Feb 12, 2010
Location: Somewhere in Boston
     

Re: Is there any plausible scenario in which Schroeder is an important part of the Cs' future? 

Post#48 » by FlatearthZorro » Tue Dec 7, 2021 3:28 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:
Larry_Russell wrote:Schroder is not getting 20 mill a season.

Thats how you financially ruin a team.

Denis needs 20ppg in order to be a positive on the court. Less than that hebis neutral to negative.

He needs to be traded by deadline to a team going on a push to nab a young player/picks


How do you think Schroeder's value compares to that of various taller scorers -- Fourier, the Bogdanovics, Bertans, etc.?


Fournier is grossly overpaid bit conparable
Same with bertrans

Lower than the bogdans


I like the Bogdans more than Fournier, too. But Fournier's deal is only guaranteed for 3 years and the guy is a very, very decent 3rd option for 25 mils a year? He can create his own and he can create for others and he's not afraid of the big shot. He's not great on defense, but I do not think defense is as important as it used to be.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
User avatar
Larry_Russell
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,421
And1: 968
Joined: Jun 23, 2021

Re: Is there any plausible scenario in which Schroeder is an important part of the Cs' future? 

Post#49 » by Larry_Russell » Tue Dec 7, 2021 4:20 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
Larry_Russell wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:
How do you think Schroeder's value compares to that of various taller scorers -- Fourier, the Bogdanovics, Bertans, etc.?


Fournier is grossly overpaid bit conparable
Same with bertrans

Lower than the bogdans


I like the Bogdans more than Fournier, too. But Fournier's deal is only guaranteed for 3 years and the guy is a very, very decent 3rd option for 25 mils a year? He can create his own and he can create for others and he's not afraid of the big shot. He's not great on defense, but I do not think defense is as important as it used to be.



17 mill, and he has sucked bigtime in NYK
SHOOTERS, SHOOTERS, SHOOTERS
Someone coach Ime Udoka on how to coach
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
Posts: 19,212
And1: 10,962
Joined: Feb 12, 2010
Location: Somewhere in Boston
     

Re: Is there any plausible scenario in which Schroeder is an important part of the Cs' future? 

Post#50 » by FlatearthZorro » Tue Dec 7, 2021 11:30 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
Larry_Russell wrote:
Fournier is grossly overpaid bit conparable
Same with bertrans

Lower than the bogdans


I like the Bogdans more than Fournier, too. But Fournier's deal is only guaranteed for 3 years and the guy is a very, very decent 3rd option for 25 mils a year? He can create his own and he can create for others and he's not afraid of the big shot. He's not great on defense, but I do not think defense is as important as it used to be.



17 mill, and he has sucked bigtime in NYK


I haven't followed him in NYK, tbh, but he showed some pretty good flashes of being a Gordon Hayward-esque on offense. The unfortunate covid situation messed him up here.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.

Return to Boston Celtics