ImageImageImage

Is there any plausible scenario in which Schroeder is an important part of the Cs' future?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

TH15
Freshman
And1: 95

Re: Is there any plausible scenario in which Schroeder is an important part of the Cs' future? 

Post#41 » by TH15 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:54 am

Ok, I’ve figured this out. Fans organize a massive online petition to convince some major local brand like Dunkin’ to sign Schroder to a huge sponsorship deal that’s contingent on him playing in Boston next year. The amount of goodwill this would earn that brand from this fan base would pay off big I’d think if we got like a million people who pledge to support them in the petition…. Is this covered in the cba? Lol

This would just be a stopgap until we are able sign him to a legit deal, which I think we could do a year from now but maybe I’m wrong.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,868

Re: Is there any plausible scenario in which Schroeder is an important part of the Cs' future? 

Post#42 » by Jammer » Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:36 pm

TH15 wrote:Ok, I’ve figured this out. Fans organize a massive online petition to convince some major local brand like Dunkin’ to sign Schroder to a huge sponsorship deal that’s contingent on him playing in Boston next year. The amount of goodwill this would earn that brand from this fan base would pay off big I’d think if we got like a million people who pledge to support them in the petition…. Is this covered in the cba? Lol

This would just be a stopgap until we are able sign him to a legit deal, which I think we could do a year from now but maybe I’m wrong.

Nice try, but the minute the money is "team specific" I suspect that would be circumventing the salary cap per the CBA.
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#43 » by greenroom31 » Sun Dec 5, 2021 5:09 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:Chris Forsberg sees it the same way, but provides some more specific numbers.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/what-dennis-schroders-future-celtics-weighing-bostons-options

Revisiting this subject as Schroder continues to grow in the system and demonstrate how valuable (and destructive to opposing defenses) he can be. Assuming Schroder isn't willing to stick around for MLE money, the key part from the article Fencer linked above is as follows:

Boston’s path to cap space is loaded with obstacles. Essentially, to get to even $20 million in cap space next summer the Celtics have to trim to bare bones of Tatum, Brown, Rob Williams, Marcus Smart, Aaron Nesmith and Payton Pritchard. That would mean having to get off the final year of Al Horford’s partially guaranteed contract, moving the recently extended Josh Richardson, and also dealing Romeo Langford and Grant Williams along the way. All this without bringing back salary that would linger on the 2022-23 books.

The Celtics could move Smart as his four-year, $77 million extension kicks in but, again, would need to limit salary coming back if they desire to get an even bigger chunk of cap space. And even if Boston did all that, would it want to use its one remaining swing of the bat on a shoot-first guard with a streaky 3-point shot who will turn 29 before the start of next season? There would likely be better options to pursue even if the Celtics did open cap space.

Next year's payroll currently looks like this:

Tatum - $30.4M
Jaylen - $28.7M
Al - $26.5M
Smart - $17.2M
Richardson - $12.2M
RW3 - $10.7M
Juancho - $7.4M
Romeo - $5.6M
Grant - $4.3M
Nesmith - $3.8M
Pritchard - $2.2M

That's 11 guys at $149M.

As much as I've loved Al's contribution this year it's hard to see him as a long-term solution, and if we had to sacrifice him to keep Schroder I'd do it. Richardson has been good but Nesmith should be able to step up and fill his shoes. Juancho is an easy decision, though Romeo and Grant are a bit tougher... especially Grant.

Wonder if we could keep Tatum, Jaylen, Smart, RW3, Grant, and Nesmith and still have ~$20M to pay Schroder? By my math those 6 guys would collectively cost $95.1M which should put us about $24M under the cap. Can any cap experts tell me if this possible or would it really require moving Jaylen or something to be realistic financially?
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,795

Post#44 » by Larry_Russell » Sun Dec 5, 2021 5:13 pm

Schroder is not getting 20 mill a season.

Thats how you financially ruin a team.

Denis needs 20ppg in order to be a positive on the court. Less than that hebis neutral to negative.

He needs to be traded by deadline to a team going on a push to nab a young player/picks
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,623

Post#45 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Dec 6, 2021 5:36 am

Larry_Russell wrote:Schroder is not getting 20 mill a season.

Denis needs 20ppg in order to be a positive on the court. Less than that hebis neutral to negative.

He needs to be traded by deadline to a team going on a push to nab a young player/picks

How do you think Schroeder's value compares to that of various taller scorers -- Fourier, the Bogdanovics, Bertans, etc.?
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,623

Post#46 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Dec 6, 2021 5:37 am

By the way -- unless I'm terribly mistaken, the Celtics can NOT get under the cap to re-sign Schroeder and then use their TPEs. The TPEs would have to be renounced first.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Larry_Russell
General Manager

Post#47 » by Larry_Russell » Mon Dec 6, 2021 10:35 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:

How do you think Schroeder's value compares to that of various taller scorers -- Fourier, the Bogdanovics, Bertans, etc.?

Fournier is grossly overpaid bit conparable
Same with bertrans

Lower than the bogdans
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,900

Post#48 » by FlatearthZorro » Tue Dec 7, 2021 3:28 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:

Same with bertrans

Lower than the bogdans

I like the Bogdans more than Fournier, too. But Fournier's deal is only guaranteed for 3 years and the guy is a very, very decent 3rd option for 25 mils a year? He can create his own and he can create for others and he's not afraid of the big shot. He's not great on defense, but I do not think defense is as important as it used to be.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
Larry_Russell
General Manager

Post#49 » by Larry_Russell » Tue Dec 7, 2021 4:20 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:
Larry_Russell wrote:

Same with bertrans

Lower than the bogdans

I like the Bogdans more than Fournier, too. But Fournier's deal is only guaranteed for 3 years and the guy is a very, very decent 3rd option for 25 mils a year? He can create his own and he can create for others and he's not afraid of the big shot. He's not great on defense, but I do not think defense is as important as it used to be.

17 mill, and he has sucked bigtime in NYK
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,900

Post#50 » by FlatearthZorro » Tue Dec 7, 2021 11:30 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:
Larry_Russell wrote:
Same with bertrans

Lower than the bogdans

17 mill, and he has sucked bigtime in NYK

I haven't followed him in NYK, tbh, but he showed some pretty good flashes of being a Gordon Hayward-esque on offense. The unfortunate covid situation messed him up here.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.

Return to Boston Celtics