ImageImageImageImageImage

The Washington Football Team Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Re: The Washington Football Team Thread 

Post#1101 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:06 pm

gambitx777 wrote:If we run the table the rest of the season we could finish 10 and 6 that's something. Good enough for a wild card? Doubtful

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app

17 game season this year. And yes, with three WC teams, if we run the table we’re absolutely in.

We won’t run the table, but a 5-2 finish is within the realm of possibilities. That gets us to 9-8 which very well could land a WC spot.
In Rizzo we trust
lastemp3ror
Junior
And1: 107

Post#1102 » by lastemp3ror » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:45 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Even if you're right, losing big doesn't guarantee anything except more losing. The first 3 picks in the 2021 draft were so-called franchise QB's, but the best QB in the draft might very well be Mac Jones - picked 15th. He's 7-4 with 14 TD's and 8 ints. None of the top 3 guys have done anything good. 2 of them are flailing with 2-8 teams. One's on a 5-5 team - but he hasn't done anything. Who knows if any of the top 3 will ever win, and if they do - how long will it take?

Sounds like you're just impatient to win, and I get it.

I just don't believe in being just an "okay" football team.

Yeah, we COULD find a stud QB outside of the top 10-12 (Aaron Rodgers, Lamar Jackson) but selecting high as possible maximizes our chances of finding that guy.

True that I'm not willing to give up 5 more years to have a better chance to find and develop a talented QB

And the reason you had to wait 30 years for another super bowl caliber team is due to this train of thought. Snyder has never fully committed to a rebuild. Rebuilds don't happen in one year or two years sometimes. If you listen to Rivera in his first season, we were rebuilding until halfway into the season. Then suddenly we were not anymore. Then this season, he again has said both. This team never puts both feet into rebuilding and thus, we are where we are. Perennially either mediocre and make the playoffs or just plain bad.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#1103 » by Wizardspride » Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:15 pm

lastemp3ror wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:

Yeah, we COULD find a stud QB outside of the top 10-12 (Aaron Rodgers, Lamar Jackson) but selecting high as possible maximizes our chances of finding that guy.

True that I'm not willing to give up 5 more years to have a better chance to find and develop a talented QB

And the reason you had to wait 30 years for another super bowl caliber team is due to this train of thought. Snyder has never fully committed to a rebuild. Rebuilds don't happen in one year or two years sometimes. If you listen to Rivera in his first season, we were rebuilding until halfway into the season. Then suddenly we were not anymore. Then this season, he again has said both. This team never puts both feet into rebuilding and thus, we are where we are. Perennially either mediocre and make the playoffs or just plain bad.

Thank you.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1104 » by Ruzious » Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:10 pm

lastemp3ror wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:

That's not true. There's one reason they've failed the last 30 years - and that's simply terrible leadership - with the owner being behind it all. Whether or not there were rebuilds, the results would have been the same. And they did have 2 top 3 picks as QB's that both ended up failing miserably - Heath Schuler and RG3 - not to mention other 1st rounders like Patrick Ramsey and Jason Campbell. If you have poor leadership, you are destined for failure regardless of the strategy.

Again, there are other ways of getting a franchise QB - actually doing your homework when drafting - which good organizations do - or signing a quality veteran QB - or trading for a quality veteran QB. All of those strategies fail with poor leadership. And with 22 starters on a football team - not including special teams - getting a QB doesn't guaranteee you anything. Matt Stafford has generally been regarded as a franchise QB - how did Detroit do for the 12 years he was there? I'm guessing they had the single worst record in the NFL over that time-span. Challeged by the Jets - who had Sanchez, Darnold,and now Zach Wilson (2-8, so far).
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
lastemp3ror
Junior

Post#1105 » by lastemp3ror » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:03 pm

Ruzious wrote:
lastemp3ror wrote:
Ruzious wrote:True that I'm not willing to give up 5 more years to have a better chance to find and develop a talented QB

That's not true. There's one reason they've failed the last 30 years - and that's simply terrible leadership - with the owner being behind it all. Whether or not there were rebuilds, the results would have been the same. And they did have 2 top 3 picks as QB's that both ended up failing miserably - Heath Schuler and RG3 - not to mention other 1st rounders like Patrick Ramsey and Jason Campbell. If you have poor leadership, you are destined for failure regardless of the strategy.

Again, there are other ways of getting a franchise QB - actually doing your homework when drafting - which good organizations do - or signing a quality veteran QB - or trading for a quality veteran QB. All of those strategies fail with poor leadership. And with 22 starters on a football team - not including special teams - getting a QB doesn't guaranteee you anything. Matt Stafford has generally been regarded as a franchise QB - how did Detroit do for the 12 years he was there? I'm guessing they had the single worst record in the NFL over that time-span. Challeged by the Jets - who had Sanchez, Darnold,and now Zach Wilson (2-8, so far).

Rebuilding properly and having a good owner are not mutually exclusive. I agree that you need a good front office and owner. If you don't have that, then yes, you will fail year over year, as shown with Snyder being the owner. But also under Snyder, he has not committed fully to rebuild, ever.

Also, a rebuild isn't just about getting a solid QB in the draft, it is about getting a solid core group of players in the draft. But history has shown that without a solid QB you are not likely to be a top-caliber team and the odds are that this QB will be drafted in round 1.

Anyhow, in summary, both your take and my take fail miserably without good leadership. The difference though is that your take (sticking with what we have and getting people via free agency) versus my take (rebuilding properly by sticking to it for a few years) is that one has been done several times by this leadership, while the other has never been done. I don't think I need to rehash the results.....
lastemp3ror
Junior

Post#1106 » by lastemp3ror » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:08 pm

I will say one more thing. I am not guaranteeing that this franchise will do well with a full rebuild, done properly. As mentioned, without a good owner, it is very likely not to work either. However, the point is, let's try something new, something that has shown proven results as a whole (yes exceptions like Detroit can happen). Instead of going down a path, we go down every time, that has yielded absolutely nothing.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1107 » by Ruzious » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:40 pm

Giving our current QB a year to prove himself would be something new and I think something worthwhile - rather than going for a pure tank - which would damage the organization and leave it the laughingstop it's been, imo. And if he fails, there will still be ways to get a top QB - partly because the org has been building its reputation back up.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#1108 » by gambitx777 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:54 pm

Ruzious wrote:Giving our current QB a year to prove himself would be something new and I think something worthwhile - rather than going for a pure tank - which would damage the organization and leave it the laughingstop it's been, imo. And if he fails, there will still be ways to get a top QB - partly because the org has been building its reputation back up.
I like taking the wait and see aproch is he makes the play offs this year and does the same or better than he did last year I'd say giving him a year works. Draft a kid in the second or first round maybe and see where it goes and give hinikie time and see if he can do something.if he misses the play offs this year it's what ever imo after that.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using RealGM mobile app
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1109 » by Wizardspride » Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:01 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=dNTJhCsQSqEGl73Z8ZCCQg&s=19
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#1110 » by Illuminaire » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:18 pm

I have no issues with Taylor running the show for another season. Scouting reports don't seem too high on this year's draft class for QBs, and Taylor is a reasonably talented young man who is doing about a league average job. And that's while navigating an offensive line riddled with injuries, and a revolving door of skill players to throw to.

I'm 90% convinced that Taylor tops out as the 12-15th best QB in the league, even with the team at full power. That's just good enough to be a playoff contender if the rest of your team rocks. I just don't see him ever being better than that, and he might end up a fair bit worse. Not to mention that his playstyle exposes him to more injury risk than the average QB.

To bring this ramble home, I think of Heinicke a lot like I think of a Jeff Green or Tobias Harris type player in the NBA. Someone who has real ability, but is also clearly *not* a star. When you have that player coming off the bench or on a cheap contract, they're awesome and you love them. But as soon as they're the center of your team, or get that big payday, your team is in for a world of hurt.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1111 » by Wizardspride » Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:15 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=kJiep9Qg3owco3Gku2TdRQ&s=19
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,883

Post#1112 » by TGW » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:08 am

I’m watching this cowboys-raiders game and the league definitely gave these refs the phone call. Two bs flags on The Raiders in the last two minutes that cost them potential first downs.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,044

Post#1113 » by queridiculo » Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:30 am

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter

In keeping with tradition, it'll be an embarrassment.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#1114 » by Dark Faze » Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:39 pm

What we're seeing has been a "true" rebuild. We drafted a QB1, an entire defensive line damn near, drafted a RB1 and WR1....not sure what exactly the team has to do for it to define itself as "doing it the right way". Unfortunately, we're still not good. That can change, but sometimes it isn't the process. Sometimes you just miss in the draft, or the guys you thought would be great are mediocre.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#1115 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:32 pm

Dark Faze wrote:What we're seeing has been a "true" rebuild. We drafted a QB1, an entire defensive line damn near, drafted a RB1 and WR1....not sure what exactly the team has to do for it to define itself as "doing it the right way". Unfortunately, we're still not good. That can change, but sometimes it isn't the process. Sometimes you just miss in the draft, or the guys you thought would be great are mediocre.

Agreed. But this is what you get when you are an incompetent little barstid who has screwed it up over and over. His back was against the wall so he kind of had to hire a good, not great coach and give him too much power.

I like RR and he is a necessary reformer and unyielding straight up guy. Just not sure he’s up to the task of player evaluation, culture change and high level coaching. That’s a tall task for anyone not named Belicheck
In Rizzo we trust
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#1116 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:47 pm

This is a must-win game against Seattle and I expect them to win big
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1117 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:10 pm

queridiculo wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter

Like it or not, I figure it's going to be Red Wolves. And people will point out that it's interesting that we chose a nearly extinct animal that has no history in the DC area for our name.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,044

Post#1118 » by queridiculo » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:14 pm

Ruzious wrote:
queridiculo wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter

Like it or not, I figure it's going to be Red Wolves. And people will point out that it's interesting that we chose a nearly extinct animal that has no history in the DC area for our name.

Extinct, damn near like the fanbase left still willing to put up with Dan Snyder's crap.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1119 » by Wizardspride » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:27 pm

Ruzious wrote:
queridiculo wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter

Actually, Red Wolves populated the entire DMV at one time.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1120 » by Ruzious » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:49 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
queridiculo wrote:

Actually, Red Wolves populated the entire DMV at one time.

I could be wrong, but what I was told is that the closest to the DC area that they were ever plentiful is North Carolina,

Return to Washington Wizards