ImageImageImageImageImage

is Klay done?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,275

Re: is Klay done? 

Post#1141 » by wco81 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:07 am

No, I think the people here who want to get rid of Klay or vastly reduce his minutes believe the team will be BETTER without Klay or without him having as big a role, with all those shots and touches that they design their offense for him to get.

So do these people have an actual plan to make the team BETTER without Klay or they're just hating and blaming him for the team's shortcomings?

In the East they'd have been #5 or #6 with 46 wins.

So I just want to hear how the Warriors will will 46 games again next season, or even more, without Klay.

From all the BB geniuses here who've been calling for the team to dump him.

But I'm not hearing this brilliant alternative plan to make the team BETTER without Klay.

Just oh well, "Klay holds us back" and "Klay is washed" and "Get rid of him!"

It's put up or shut up time.

But we know how this works, they'll keep yakking about how how Klay is the reason the team sucks, how the team will be better off without him.

But they won't actually say how other than vaguely "oh better defense."

Right, but the game requires you to score baskets. Wiggins is a much better defender than Klay but he was unplayable this game, either bricking shots, not able to exploit mismatches down on the block, getting picked by Fox, not able to really defend as Fox and Murray just snake dribbled around the Sabonis handoffs and got easy 5-10 foot looks.

Moody shows signs of being a better shooter but when he got extended minutes this season, he wasn't always a positive.

But those are inconvenient facts. The BB geniuses here still won't say how the team replaces Klay's scoring and becomes a better team without him.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,306

Post#1142 » by Onus » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:09 am

You realize the team has had a substantially better record without Klay than with Klay since his return from injury. 3 different teams that all performed vastly better without Klay.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,666

Post#1143 » by Coxy » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:15 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
Coxy wrote:
Hoopstar23 wrote:
overpay

If he only plays 15 minutes per game as the 3rd guard off the bench, corner 3 man?

You really think kerr is going to limit him to 15 minutes? Not a chance.

But what if he did, and that was the agreed contract and involvement from both sides.
migya
Head Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#1144 » by migya » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:17 am

Klay really isn't a starter anymore, especially with Moody looking ready to take the starting job. He stunk it like he did against Lakers last playoffs.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,096

Post#1145 » by DonaldSanders » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:20 am

wco81 wrote:No, I think the people here who want to get rid of Klay or vastly reduce his minutes believe the team will be BETTER without Klay or without him having as big a role, with all those shots and touches that they design their offense for him to get.

So do these people have an actual plan to make the team BETTER without Klay or they're just hating and blaming him for the team's shortcomings?

So I just want to hear how the Warriors will will 46 games again next season, or even more, without Klay.

But I'm not hearing this brilliant alternative plan to make the team BETTER without Klay.

But we know how this works, they'll keep yakking about how how Klay is the reason the team sucks, how the team will be better off without him.

Right, but the game requires you to score baskets. Wiggins is a much better defender than Klay but he was unplayable this game, either bricking shots, not able to exploit mismatches down on the block, getting picked by Fox, not able to really defend as Fox and Murray just snake dribbled around the Sabonis handoffs and got easy 5-10 foot looks.

Moody shows signs of being a better shooter but when he got extended minutes this season, he wasn't always a positive.

But those are inconvenient facts. The BB geniuses here still won't say how the team replaces Klay's scoring and becomes a better team without him.

The "inconvenient facts" are that we went undefeated with Klay out. Klay shot 0/10 tonight and was terrible in the playoffs last year.

Time to let him go. I love classic Klay, but that player is gone. Moody isn't our 2nd best scorer, but he's better than Klay -- Moody was + on court and + on/off, where Klay was negative in both this season. That should be a sign of how much work this team needs -- cut Klay, get a real 2nd scorer to pair with Curry.
1993Playoffs
Analyst
And1: 3,558

Post#1146 » by 1993Playoffs » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:23 am

That was rough
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,399

Post#1147 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:29 am

DonaldSanders wrote:
wco81 wrote:No, I think the people here who want to get rid of Klay or vastly reduce his minutes believe the team will be BETTER without Klay or without him having as big a role, with all those shots and touches that they design their offense for him to get.

The "inconvenient facts" are that we went undefeated with Klay out. Klay shot 0/10 tonight and was terrible in the playoffs last year.

Time to let him go. I love classic Klay, but that player is gone. Moody isn't our 2nd best scorer, but he's better than Klay -- Moody was + on court and + on/off, where Klay was negative in both this season. That should be a sign of how much work this team needs -- cut Klay, get a real 2nd scorer to pair with Curry.

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask?q=warriors+record+klay+thompson+does+not+play+2021-22+to+2023-24
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant

Post#1148 » by DonaldSanders » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:36 am

My god that is more brutal than I expected. So tired of being "The Golden State Klays"

Please let him go Mike, it's time to move on.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,807

Post#1149 » by floppymoose » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:37 am

Frozzy
Starter
And1: 2,023

Post#1150 » by Frozzy » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:39 am

migya wrote:Klay really isn't a starter anymore, especially with Moody looking ready to take the starting job. He stunk it like he did against Lakers last playoffs.

I agree that Klay is not a starter but I can't be the only one who doesn't trusts Moody's jumper yet. 3 years in and he's still either on or OFF

Guess we won't know until he gets consistent minutes.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#1151 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:48 am

Unfortunately, because we held onto him past the deadline, we are stuck either letting him walk for nothing in return or having to sign him for more than we want.
wco81
RealGM

Post#1152 » by wco81 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:54 am

DonaldSanders wrote:

My god that is more brutal than I expected. So tired of being "The Golden State Klays"

So addition by subtraction, no need to attempt to replace some of his scoring at all, the answer is all in the roster!

OK, I'll be looking for predictions on 47 or greater wins if they let him walk away.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant

Post#1153 » by DonaldSanders » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:55 am

wco81 wrote:So addition by subtraction, no need to attempt to replace some of his scoring at all, the answer is all in the roster!

OK, I'll be looking for predictions on 47 or greater wins if they let him walk away.

Well Moody scored 16 points in half the minutes, think we can let Klay and his donut + crap defense go.

But hey you do you bro.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#1154 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:58 am

wco81 wrote:
DonaldSanders wrote:

So addition by subtraction, no need to attempt to replace some of his scoring at all, the answer is all in the roster!

By letting klay go, it doesn mean we have to play 4 vs 5. There will be a new 5th member be it on the current roster or from a transaction. We may not get someone who will get the same amount of volume 3s, but its a guarantee we will get someone that does everything else better.
wco81
RealGM

Post#1155 » by wco81 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:36 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
wco81 wrote:
DonaldSanders wrote:

By letting klay go, it doesn mean we have to play 4 vs 5. There will be a new 5th member be it on the current roster or from a transaction. We may not get someone who will get the same amount of volume 3s, but its a guarantee we will get someone that does everything else better.

Depends on their cap situation doesn't it? If they get below the second apron from letting Klay go and maybe also CP, maybe they can sign someone to a full MLE.

Here are the free agents:

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/

A lot of them like OG, PG, LBJ are likely to get extended by their own teams.

OK, here's a better list, filtered to show only UFA wings. Some of the RFAs are likely not available.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/ufa/wing/

Some cap guru can tell us how big a contract the Warriors can sign a player for, depending on whether Klay walks, CP3 walks or both walk.

I don't believe replacing Klay with someone on the roster or some lower-level FA is going to make the team better. I hope it works out that way, because I"m a fan of the team, not any individual player.

Or for that matter, someone whose BBIQ ego depends on certain players working out as opposed to the team benefitting overall.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#1156 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:42 am

wco81 wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:
wco81 wrote:

Depends on their cap situation doesn't it? If they get below the second apron from letting Klay go and maybe also CP, maybe they can sign someone to a full MLE.

Here are the free agents:

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/

A lot of them like OG, PG, LBJ are likely to get extended by their own teams.

OK, here's a better list, filtered to show only UFA wings. Some of the RFAs are likely not available.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/ufa/wing/

Some cap guru can tell us how big a contract the Warriors can sign a player for, depending on whether Klay walks, CP3 walks or both walk.

I don't believe replacing Klay with someone on the roster or some lower-level FA is going to make the team better. I hope it works out that way, because I"m a fan of the team, not any individual player.

Or for that matter, someone whose BBIQ ego depends on certain players working out as opposed to the team benefitting overall.

If klay walks, we can use the cp3 contract as a salary ballast.

We don't have to go dumpster diving.
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,399

Post#1157 » by svart » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:58 am

stolen from GB

might be shtposting, don't know, still funny af

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1780508777248338016%7Ctwgr%5E64ae9f2bd03b6142df79ee9bcf92aa198133ec30%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.realgm.com%2Fboards%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D2371553start%3D720
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,666

Post#1158 » by Coxy » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:54 am

Klay might retire.

Looks like he was soaking it up, 1 last time.

Read on Twitter
wco81
RealGM

Post#1159 » by wco81 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:55 am

Well if there are people in the organization who want to let him walk, they’re not speaking up.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39960100/klay-thompson-held-scoreless-play-loss-kings-warriors-lobby-return

But the fact that the team and Klay haven’t negotiated at all during the season suggests that some at least want to let him walk because they let him hit free agency.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,174

Post#1160 » by watch1958 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:24 am

wco81 wrote:Well if there are people in the organization who want to let him walk, they’re not speaking up.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/39960100/klay-thompson-held-scoreless-play-loss-kings-warriors-lobby-return

But the fact that the team and Klay haven’t negotiated at all during the season suggests that some at least want to let him walk because they let him hit free agency.
Wanting him to return has to be linked with $$$$. He wants more than they offered.

How much is Lacob willing to pay for a team that can't compete? What is the path to being competitive, that might convince Lacob to pony up more?
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.

Return to Golden State Warriors