ImageImageImageImageImage

Stein: OKC trade Hasheem Thabeet to Philly

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Scarface844
Banned User
And1: 7,859

Re: Stein: OKC trade Hasheem Thabeet to Philly 

Post#41 » by Scarface844 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:42 am

bondom34 wrote: :lol: They traded Harden. I'll give you that...3 years ago. They let Martin walk after a poor playoffs for him and the fact that Minnesota gave him a contract he isn't really worth. Thabo was awful last season by anyone's standards, I'm not gonna debate you because you've shown in the past you've got an agenda, and I don't care for it. My bad, I shouldn't have quoted you in the first place. You believe what you want, no matter how clueless it may be.

Amazing. I responded to you respectfully and said nothing insulting to you and yet i'm the clueless one. Your a OKC bandwagoner. You've admitted your only a OKC fan because of Durant and Westbrook.

I don't have an agenda. Only a delusional OKC fan would tell someone, OKC isn't cheap and they haven't gutted there roster.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,214

Post#42 » by bondom34 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:47 am

Scarface844 wrote:
bondom34 wrote: :lol: They traded Harden. I'll give you that...3 years ago. They let Martin walk after a poor playoffs for him and the fact that Minnesota gave him a contract he isn't really worth. Thabo was awful last season by anyone's standards, I'm not gonna debate you because you've shown in the past you've got an agenda, and I don't care for it. My bad, I shouldn't have quoted you in the first place. You believe what you want, no matter how clueless it may be.

Amazing. I responded to you respectfully and said nothing insulting you and yet i'm the clueless one. Your a OKC bandwagoner. You've admitted your only a OKC fan because of Durant and Westbrook.

I don't have an agenda. Only a delusional fan would tell someone, OKC isn't cheap and they haven't gutted there roster. Keep your bandwagoning on the GB.

Sorry, I shouldn't have said that, and apologize. This was, in no way, a cheap move. You're looking at one move 3 years ago and basing everything off of that single move. And they haven't gutted the roster, they've got more talent now than a year ago at the same time.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Scarface844
Banned User

Post#43 » by Scarface844 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:56 am

bondom34 wrote:Sorry, I shouldn't have said that, and apologize. This was, in no way, a cheap move. You're looking at one move 3 years ago and basing everything off of that single move. And they haven't gutted the roster, they've got more talent now than a year ago at the same time.

We're just having a heated debate. I was trying to make a point. You and others thought I was "trolling" and "had a agenda" on GB but I never did. What I said above was "hateful" not the stuff before. I hate on OKC but that doesn't mean I can't see right from wrong.

I think OKC has regressed since 2012. A lot of people seem to feel that way. They went from Harden to Martin to having neither. Martin is no game changer but OKC needs a lot more then it has to win a title or even get to the finals and OKC doesn't have that.

I disagree with the talent part. I think they stayed the same as last year. Lost Thabo and added Morrow. It was a lateral move at best. For the most part besides the prospect C you guys will be signing soon (or might have already) OKC is no better then last year.

Me calling OKC cheap has more to do with what OKC ownership/managment has done overall then just the Harden trade. You have moves like refusing to amnesty Perkins or fire Brooks because of the money that's going to have to be paid. You have OKC ownership making it a priority to stay under the luxury tax.

Things like that kinda show they're cheap. My take on the whole thing is, this may sound crazy but OKC ownership is more profitable staying competitive and making the WCF rather then making the finals and winning a ring. Reason being, it goes back to the roster.

OKC is gonna need a lot more to win a ring. A new, experienced coach, better depth all things which require a team most of the time to go into the luxury tax which OKC ownership doesn't want to do. It's ridicolous how a team doesn't want to go into the luxury tax when you have Durant and Westbrook.

Personally I think OKC is in trouble. If you guys don't win a ring, the team won't survive imo. Way to small a market and without a superstar, the team won't remain profitable and I could see it relocating if Durant decides to leave (which he will if OKC doesn't win a ring).
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#44 » by bondom34 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:03 am

Scarface844 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Sorry, I shouldn't have said that, and apologize. This was, in no way, a cheap move. You're looking at one move 3 years ago and basing everything off of that single move. And they haven't gutted the roster, they've got more talent now than a year ago at the same time.

We're just having a heated debate. I was trying to make a point. You and others thought I was "trolling" and "had a agenda" on GB but I never did. What I said above was "hateful" not the stuff before. I hate on OKC but that doesn't mean I can't see right from wrong.

I think OKC has regressed since 2012. A lot of people seem to feel that way. They went from Harden to Martin to having neither. Martin is no game changer but OKC needs a lot more then it has to win a title or even get to the finals and OKC doesn't have that.

I disagree with the talent part. I think they stayed the same as last year. Lost Thabo and added Morrow. It was a lateral move at best. For the most part besides the prospect C you guys will be signing soon (or might have already) OKC is no better then last year.

Me calling OKC cheap has more to do with what OKC ownership/managment has done overall then just the Harden trade. You have moves like refusing to amnesty Perkins or fire Brooks because of the money that's going to have to be paid. You have OKC ownership making a priority to stay under the luxury tax.

Things like that kinda show they're cheap. My take on the whole thing is, this may sound crazy but OKC ownership is more profitable staying competitive and making the WCF rather then making the finals and winning a ring. Reason being, it goes back to the roster.

OKC is gonna need a lot more to win a ring. A new, experienced coach, better depth which means the team is gonna have to go into the luxury tax, all things OKC ownership doesn't want to do.

I think we're seeing the same stuff, but from different angles. First, Harden. To me, he wanted his own team, to be the man, and be a first option, where he woulda been 3rd on OKC forever. There are stories of problems w/ him off court in OKC and I think they played in too. He's a talent sure, but we've seen lately not a great locker room guy. When they traded him, Martin was always going to be a stopgap, Lamb was/is supposed to replace him. Adams is moving in for Perk, and I've done the explanation elsewhere, but an amnesty of Perk does nothing but keep the team capped out and mean you have to sign a starting big for under 5 mil per year, which you're likely to get a guy of similar quality for (they'd only have the MLE). OKC is a franchise built like the Spurs and requires internal growth. I'm hopeful they get there, we will see. As for Brooks, an offensive assistant would help, but TBH some continuity is needed w/ a coach, and the players love him and have grown with him. He's not perfect, but there's plenty worse out there.

Again, sorry this debate got heated, and best to you and the Raps. :D I see some of the internal growth in them that makes OKC the team I enjoy watching grow together too.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
ballislife
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,005

Post#45 » by ballislife » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:03 am

Risk101 wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/KDTrey5/status/504376777460809728[/tweet]

I honestly don't know how someone can be a #2 pick behind Griffin and never pan out. He was great in college, I thought he'd be a nice defender in the NBA... but the guy is crap. He's worse than Aaron Gray.

I think there's still something left in him though... it's going to take a lot of work by the coaching staff, but I do think he can be a decent backup C in the NBA with his size and timing on D. I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him.
Scarface844
Banned User

Post#46 » by Scarface844 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:10 am

bondom34 wrote:I think we're seeing the same stuff, but from different angles. First, Harden. To me, he wanted his own team, to be the man, and be a first option, where he woulda been 3rd on OKC forever. There are stories of problems w/ him off court in OKC and I think they played in too. He's a talent sure, but we've seen lately not a great locker room guy. When they traded him, Martin was always going to be a stopgap, Lamb was/is supposed to replace him. Adams is moving in for Perk, and I've done the explanation elsewhere, but an amnesty of Perk does nothing but keep the team capped out and mean you have to sign a starting big for under 5 mil per year, which you're likely to get a guy of similar quality for (they'd only have the MLE). OKC is a franchise built like the Spurs and requires internal growth. I'm hopeful they get there, we will see. As for Brooks, an offensive assistant would help, but TBH some continuity is needed w/ a coach, and the players love him and have grown with him. He's not perfect, but there's plenty worse out there.

Again, sorry this debate got heated, and best to you and the Raps. :D I see some of the internal growth in them that makes OKC the team I enjoy watching grow together too.

I like heated debates. It's why I like coming on realgm because people actually know what they're talking about even if I disagree with them (most of the time at least)

To start off with Harden. I think OKC made a good move by trading Harden. My issue with that deal is when/why they did it. More then anything, I just think Harden wanted to get paid and he was okay with his role as long he got his 6/80 million or whatever he was asking,

OKC would of been better off letting him go to FA if they were gonna get the return they got. That Harden trade had big impact on the Raptors. We have Lowry because of that trade. Other stuff I agree mostly. Martin was always a stop gap but they didn't replace him (in my opinion)

Adams is a solid prospect so he'll be much more valuable then Perkins. Idk I just feel like OKC had the perfect oppurtunity to take the next step and they never did because of financial reasons.

You can attribute injuries as well but idk. I don't think they beat the Spurs this year or last whether or not they had Westbrook/Ibaka healthy. Brooks is terrible. I mean a lot of us on here think Casey is terrible on the offensive side of the floor but Brooks makes Casey seem like a offensive mastermind.

Brooks is the type of coach that can build and develop an up and coming team but he can't take you to the next level. Another coach is required.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by bondom34 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:14 am

Scarface844 wrote:
bondom34 wrote:I think we're seeing the same stuff, but from different angles. First, Harden. To me, he wanted his own team, to be the man, and be a first option, where he woulda been 3rd on OKC forever. There are stories of problems w/ him off court in OKC and I think they played in too. He's a talent sure, but we've seen lately not a great locker room guy. When they traded him, Martin was always going to be a stopgap, Lamb was/is supposed to replace him. Adams is moving in for Perk, and I've done the explanation elsewhere, but an amnesty of Perk does nothing but keep the team capped out and mean you have to sign a starting big for under 5 mil per year, which you're likely to get a guy of similar quality for (they'd only have the MLE). OKC is a franchise built like the Spurs and requires internal growth. I'm hopeful they get there, we will see. As for Brooks, an offensive assistant would help, but TBH some continuity is needed w/ a coach, and the players love him and have grown with him. He's not perfect, but there's plenty worse out there.

I like heated debates. It's why I like coming on realgm because people actually know what they're talking about even if I disagree with them (most of the time at least)

To start off with Harden. I think OKC made a good move by trading Harden. My issue with that deal is when/why they did it. More then anything, I just think Harden wanted to get paid and he was okay with his role as long he got his 6/80 million or whatever he was asking,

OKC would of been better off letting him go to FA if they were gonna get the return they got. That Harden trade had big impact on the Raptors. We have Lowry because of that trade. Other stuff I agree mostly. Martin was always a stop gap but they didn't replace him (in my opinion)

Adams is a solid prospect so he'll be much more valuable then Perkins. Idk I just feel like OKC had the perfect oppurtunity to take the next step and they never did because of financial reasons.

You can attribute injuries as well but idk. I don't think they beat the Spurs this year or last whether or not they had Westbrook/Ibaka healthy. Brooks is terrible. I mean a lot of us on here think Casey is terrible on the offensive side of the floor but Brooks makes Casey seem like a offensive mastermind.

Brooks is the type of coach that can build and develop an up and coming team but he can't take you to the next level. Another coach is required.

Fair enough, think we just differ in views on it all. Statistically, OKC was best the season after Harden left (WB injured in the playoffs). Brooks, we'll see, I'm still hopeful. Adams to me is key. He and Lamb to me are worth Harden, b/c now I know who's getting Perk's spot, for less money, and likely is a better player. He's only 20 and improving rapidly. We shall see I suppose. :D
Rapsalot
Head Coach
And1: 1,646

Post#48 » by Rapsalot » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:29 am

H T would be a good fit for us if we just go with vet min and don't give up anything. I would rather go after Zaza but bucks just sent a C to Clippers in Dudley deal.

We would need to find a location for Tyler and Chuck? Not sure why we signed J Hamilton? He is useful but we have lots of SF now.
IMAN5
General Manager
And1: 5,666

Post#49 » by IMAN5 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:17 pm

Sixers should keep him it's worth taking a flyer on him. I actually liked him in OKC he proved that he was a hardworker and could swat some shots and be a big body off the bench. Surprising because I thought he worked hard for OKC and is still a work in progress, still young, but learning. For a man that big to not be injury prone as well is credit to his conditioning and health.

It's a business though and the Thunder are yet again pinching every penny. Wonder where Thabeet ends up, I think he has a place in this league. Would've liked him in Philly.
instagram.com/510movement
daswunderboy
Analyst
And1: 2,141

Post#50 » by daswunderboy » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:34 pm

Kibago wrote:
daswunderboy wrote:
HEDOBALL wrote:

I stand corrected.

Second overall.

And now Philly will waive him and he'll likely be out of the league. He was always a bad draft pick and a candidate to be a bust. Not a shock.

Yeah, this was a terrible draft pick as it was happening. No hindsight required. Memphis throwing away the 2nd overall pick and still ending up with a half-decade of pseudo-contention was pretty crazy

It's similar to how Detroit did it. Darko...Hasheem...that number 2 overall pick seems cursed. Or teams are just stupid...
Romaniano
Banned User
And1: 611

Post#51 » by Romaniano » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:37 pm

THA6 wrote:Power Shift! Jordan's lucky Thabeet didn't play in his era

Aren't you the kid who said LeBron faces toughter defence than Jordan & his era?

Thought I'd make that huge font so everyone knows who you are. :banghead:
THA6
Banned User
And1: 69

Post#52 » by THA6 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:04 pm

Romaniano wrote:

Aren't you the kid who said LeBron faces toughter defence than Jordan & his era?

I didn't mention anything about Lebron. So naw bro. Come again
RaptorJ
Banned User
And1: 2,054

Post#53 » by RaptorJ » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:20 pm

Thabeet, what a colossal bust.

Unreal to think Memphis could've picked Harden, Curry, DD or even Tyreke Evans and been a real contender for many years. SG was always their "weak" position and they missed out on 2 awesome SGs and Tyreke who can play the position as well. One bad draft can ruin a franchise.
Romaniano
Banned User

Post#54 » by Romaniano » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:31 pm

THA6 wrote:
Romaniano wrote:

Oh really? http://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=1342746

Just. Stop. Posting.
pharring
Sixth Man
And1: 352

Post#55 » by pharring » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:31 pm

It is baffling to me that with almost unlimited access to training and coaching, not to mention money, Thabeet cannot be turned into a serviceable NBA player. I get that you cannot just pluck any 7ft+ guy off of the street, throw an NBA jersey on him, and expect him to just "get it" eventually. But Thabeet went to a good program at UConn, was scouted repeatedly, went through all the workouts, got drafted high (which warrants a high investment in his training/coaching), but then never became something. And you can't say the Griz do not know how to train and use big men.

I suppose it's the same frustration I have with Bargnani. Though with Bargs, it was his heart and motor. With Thabeet, I just feel like he should be better.
THA6
Banned User

Post#56 » by THA6 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:35 pm

Romaniano wrote:
THA6 wrote:
Romaniano wrote:

Just. Stop. Posting.

And where in that post did i mention Lebron? :crazy:
Romaniano
Banned User

Post#57 » by Romaniano » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:39 pm

THA6 wrote:
Romaniano wrote:
THA6 wrote:

Just. Stop. Posting.

I am not going to read through your 12 page thread, but I am sure you would mention him if you think today's NBA comes even close to the 90s and early 2000s. That's when they had the highest ratings EVER.

Go watch Pistons / Bulls or Stockton/Malone vs Bulls... this era is complete dog ****. Also players didnt play for money back then, it was all passion & loyalty towards their teams.
THA6
Banned User

Post#58 » by THA6 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:45 pm

Romaniano wrote:
THA6 wrote:
Romaniano wrote:

Just. Stop. Posting.

I am not going to read through your 12 page thread, but I am sure you would mention him if you think today's NBA comes even close to the 90s and early 2000s. That's when they had the highest ratings EVER.

Go watch Pistons / Bulls or Stockton/Malone vs Bulls... this era is complete dog ****. Also players didnt play for money back then, it was all passion & loyalty towards their teams.

Then stop watching, and dip the forum bro
ontnut
RealGM
And1: 8,069

Post#59 » by ontnut » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:53 pm

Romaniano wrote:

Sadly, the huge font also prominently displays your inability to spell "tougher".
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,268

Post#60 » by djsunyc » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:01 pm

dballislife wrote:philly is like over 20m under min salary mark, can u even start the season like that? or do u just gotta pay like a penalty? how they gonna add that much salary

i think they just have to meet the minimum before july 1st of next year to count as salary for the 14/15 season. the rumor is that the knicks will deal them amare at some point this season.

Return to Toronto Raptors