ImageImageImage

Welcome to the Celtics Org, JVG!

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

celticgreenie
Junior
And1: 273

Re: Welcome to the Celtics Org, JVG! 

Post#81 » by celticgreenie » Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:30 pm

Playoffs are no joke. I hope Brad Stevens has van gundy on the bench for the playoffs. I don't just want van gundy providing insight to the team after a playoff loss, he should be there in real time to formulate strategies throughout the game especially at halftime.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 95,076

Post#82 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:55 pm

Read on Twitter
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 95,076

Post#83 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Jun 2, 2024 8:57 pm

Read on Twitter
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,463

Post#84 » by Hal14 » Mon Jun 3, 2024 12:51 pm

Do it. Hire him. He knows the game, has plenty of experience. And should be a smooth transition since had this season in a consulting role to bridge the gap (get to know the org, the players, the coaches, etc) so will be ready to join the staff next season.

62 yrs old so getting up there but could have a few years in him to help out as an assistant (Pop is 75, D'Antoni was an assistant till he was like 71, Larry Brown was a college assistant when he was like 80.

Make the hire. We have to fill Lee's spot..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,494

Post#85 » by djFan71 » Mon Jun 3, 2024 9:09 pm

Hal14 wrote:Do it. Hire him. He knows the game, has plenty of experience. And should be a smooth transition since had this season in a consulting role to bridge the gap (get to know the org, the players, the coaches, etc) so will be ready to join the staff next season.

62 yrs old so getting up there but could have a few years in him to help out as an assistant (Pop is 75, D'Antoni was an assistant till he was like 71, Larry Brown was a college assistant when he was like 80.

I assume it's more on JVG's end that's the hold up. Cs would do it, but he'll probably wanna look for a HC position first. ESPN canned him too late last year for this season - all the positions were filled (according to SVG interview the other day). He'll want to explore that before committing to be an assistant. But, I also don't think anyone's going to give him a new HC gig. When he comes up empty handed, hopefully he joins the Cs staff.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 26,409

Post#86 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Jun 3, 2024 9:23 pm

celticgreenie wrote:Playoffs are no joke. I hope Brad Stevens has van gundy on the bench for the playoffs. I don't just want van gundy providing insight to the team after a playoff loss, he should be there in real time to formulate strategies throughout the game especially at halftime.

So far, he's done very little of that.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Hal14
RealGM

Post#87 » by Hal14 » Mon Jun 3, 2024 10:00 pm

djFan71 wrote:
Hal14 wrote:Do it. Hire him. He knows the game, has plenty of experience. And should be a smooth transition since had this season in a consulting role to bridge the gap (get to know the org, the players, the coaches, etc) so will be ready to join the staff next season.

I assume it's more on JVG's end that's the hold up. Cs would do it, but he'll probably wanna look for a HC position first. ESPN canned him too late last year for this season - all the positions were filled (according to SVG interview the other day). He'll want to explore that before committing to be an assistant. But, I also don't think anyone's going to give him a new HC gig. When he comes up empty handed, hopefully he joins the Cs staff.

Yeah, you might be right. But I figure he won't get a HC offer since he's so old and hasn't been a HC in so long..

I figured they were just waiting till the end of the NBA finals to either announce JVG's hiring or complete the hiring/decision making process.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
redslastlaugh
Junior
And1: 280

Post#88 » by redslastlaugh » Mon Jun 3, 2024 10:03 pm

Dude, lol, JVG is sixty two years old, he’s not “so old” … not in 2024, lol.

I mean Tom Cruise is 62 and he’s flying fighter jets into battle…

Hal14 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:

Yeah, you might be right. But I figure he won't get a HC offer since he's so old and hasn't been a HC in so long..

I figured they were just waiting till the end of the NBA finals to either announce JVG's hiring or complete the hiring/decision making process.
Hal14
RealGM

Post#89 » by Hal14 » Mon Jun 3, 2024 10:28 pm

redslastlaugh wrote:Dude, lol, JVG is sixty two years old, he’s not “so old” … not in 2024, lol.

I mean Tom Cruise is 62 and he’s flying fighter jets into battle…

Hal14 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:I assume it's more on JVG's end that's the hold up. Cs would do it, but he'll probably wanna look for a HC position first. ESPN canned him too late last year for this season - all the positions were filled (according to SVG interview the other day). He'll want to explore that before committing to be an assistant. But, I also don't think anyone's going to give him a new HC gig. When he comes up empty handed, hopefully he joins the Cs staff.

It's certainly on the older side to be hired as an NBA head coach. You look at the last 10 or 15 or so guys to get an NBA head coaching job. You've got Doc (age 62) and then I believe all the others were quite a bit younger than 62. Most are in the 36-55 range.

Teams seem to be going for younger guys more and more (Willie Green, Mazzulla, Hardy, Charles Lee, Mosley, Daigneault, the Raptors coach, etc.

And Doc didn't go 17 years without being an NBA coach like JVG has done..
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,599

Post#90 » by snowman » Today 3:28 am

So, I guess JVG is going to replace Charles Lee as lead asst. coach. (I hope) How convenient to have JVG waiting in the wings for an oopening.
OCCelticsfan33
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#91 » by OCCelticsfan33 » Today 1:51 pm

This is a very underrated part of our success this series. I’m assuming Brad Steven,JVG, along with our coaching staff devised a defensive game plan to completely stymie the Dallas offense.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 14,952

Post#92 » by BK_2020 » Today 2:03 pm

OCCelticsfan33 wrote:This is a very underrated part of our success this series. I’m assuming Brad Steven,JVG, along with our coaching staff devised a defensive game plan to completely stymie the Dallas offense.

I'm pretty sure Brad and JVG have the good sense to not meddle with the coaching staff.

Return to Boston Celtics