BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 8,442

Re: Ron Holland - G League Ignite - 2024 NBA Draft 

Post#121 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri Apr 5, 2024 4:36 am

Diop wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
Diop wrote:sounds a bit like Crash as well, which does get my juices flowing

I don't think he's got that kind of size.

crash was more elite athlete as well

Ya Crash was an absurd athlete. IDK if anyone in this draft is even close to him athletically.

Dunn may be closest and he is like 85% the athlete Crash was.
QMemphis
Senior
And1: 308

Post#122 » by QMemphis » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:52 pm

I believe Ron has the ability to be the best player in the draft. Wouldn’t be upset if the Grizz drafted him.
JustBuzzin
RealGM
And1: 8,986

Post#123 » by JustBuzzin » Sat Apr 13, 2024 2:32 pm

QMemphis wrote:I believe Ron has the ability to be the best player in the draft. Wouldn’t be upset if the Grizz drafted him.

Grizz will be loaded next season.
Pattycakes
General Manager
And1: 1,662

Post#124 » by Pattycakes » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:03 pm

As a Blazer fan - two things… wow y’all really aren’t high on Scoot. That’s okay, I see the same stats you do.. def see a lot of potential though, esp after the final stretch.

I’m also bullish on us trying to get Holland this year.

I like him and Scoot a lot for what I want to see the Blazers grow into. All things considered, there’s upside. Think we target him hard at 3-5 wherever we fall. No one else excites me at that position.
QMemphis
Senior
And1: 308

Post#125 » by QMemphis » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:43 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:
QMemphis wrote:I believe Ron has the ability to be the best player in the draft. Wouldn’t be upset if the Grizz drafted him.

Grizz will be loaded next season.

We will be the deepest team in the league.
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach
And1: 3,234

Post#126 » by SelfishPlayer » Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:31 pm

Ron Holland has the best combination of size, athleticism, and skill in the draft. With his 3.5 steal rate he's a Jaylen Brown, Jimmy Butler, Michael Finley, or even Kobe Bryant type that's going to potentially give you big production on both ends of the court, a #1 scorer and two way player.
SelfishPlayer wrote:The Mavs won playoff games without Luka

The Mavs missed the playoffs without Brunson.
bucknut
Junior
And1: 191

Post#127 » by bucknut » Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:12 am

i see lots of mixed opinions on his athleticism/explosiveness

to me i see kawhi athletically more than brown and that is who he should be modeling his game after. From the high socks, to the limited amount of flash - holland needs to just use fundamentals on offense to score - he isn't breaking anyones ankles.

problem is kawhi shot 37 percent from 3 as a rookie and holland is 24 percent and in 60s on free throws.

If holland can't shoot i'm taking a plethora of guys over him like a josh minott who was a later round pick for example
bucknut
Junior

Post#128 » by bucknut » Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:28 am

His g league coach compares him to eddie jones/sprewell mix. i guess i can see it if he can develop how to shoot
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach

Post#129 » by SelfishPlayer » Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:56 am

bucknut wrote:His g league coach compares him to eddie jones/sprewell mix. i guess i can see it if he can develop how to shoot

I can see that comparison with his 3.5 steal rate. People don't understand that Holland is only 18 years old and spent an entire season going against players that have NBA athleticism, so when he out athletes them it means MORE than when a college player does that against other college players. Holland is running circles around G League players with a 3.5 steal rate. One G League game announcer said "He reminds me of a poor man's Russell Westbrook." That's right in line with the Sprewell comparison. Super fast guys with loads of energy generating steals.

SNPA
General Manager
And1: 7,680

Post#130 » by SNPA » Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:49 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:
Diop wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:I don't think he's got that kind of size.

crash was more elite athlete as well

Ya Crash was an absurd athlete. IDK if anyone in this draft is even close to him athletically.

Always must…

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 15,381

Post#131 » by babyjax13 » Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:08 am

SNPA wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:
Diop wrote:crash was more elite athlete as well

Always must…

Holland reminds me of Jeff Green, I think that's his trajectory. Body type, athletecism, skill level, all pretty similar.

6-7 // 7-1.5 wingspan // 38" max vert vs.
6-6.5 // 6-10.75 ws // 38" max vert

Green had a bit better measurements, but similar. Green shot better from 3 in college, but only 70 percent from the line and is a below average but passable shooter. He is career 34 percent from 3 but hovered around 31 percent his first 5 years. Holland shot 68 percent from the line.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach

Post#132 » by SelfishPlayer » Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:46 am

babyjax13 wrote:
SNPA wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:

Always must…

Holland reminds me of Jeff Green, I think that's his trajectory. Body type, athletecism, skill level, all pretty similar.

Green had a bit better measurements, but similar. Green shot better from 3 in college, but only 70 percent from the line and is a below average but passable shooter. He is career 34 percent from 3 but hovered around 31 percent his first 5 years. Holland shot 68 percent from the line.

The college three point line was of a shorter distance when Jeff Green played his three seasons in college. 18 year old Ron Holland is shooting his threes at a greater distance against professional basketball players at a weight of 196 lbs. Jeff Green weighed 228 lbs. Holland is more skilled and nimble as a prospect.

babyjax13
RealGM

Post#133 » by babyjax13 » Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:07 am

SelfishPlayer wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
SNPA wrote:Always must…

The college three point line was of a shorter distance when Jeff Green played his three seasons in college. 18 year old Ron Holland is shooting his threes at a greater distance against professional basketball players at a weight of 196 lbs. Jeff Green weighed 228 lbs. Holland is more skilled and nimble as a prospect.

Jeff Green was also 3 years older when drafted. His freshman year of college he was listed at 215, though I doubt he was quite that big. I also highly disagree that Holland is more nimble, Green was a fantastic athlete as a young player which is why he is still effective at 37 years old. I think Green is a pretty reasonable comp, they move eerily similarly. Pre heart surgery Jeff Green was one of the most violent dunkers of that era with Jason Richardson and Desmond Mason, he was absolutely violent if he had any runway. But he has also always been very fluid, but not an overwhelming athlete without space - which is what I see in Holland. I do think Ron has more potential with the ball in his hands, but if he turns into a similar player to Green over his career, that's very worthy of a pick on that 5-10 range in most drafts.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach

Post#134 » by SelfishPlayer » Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:38 am

babyjax13 wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:Holland reminds me of Jeff Green, I think that's his trajectory. Body type, athletecism, skill level, all pretty similar.

Jeff Green was also 3 years older when drafted. His freshman year of college he was listed at 215, though I doubt he was quite that big. I also highly disagree that Holland is more nimble, Green was a fantastic athlete as a young player which is why he is still effective at 37 years old. I think Green is a pretty reasonable comp, they move eerily similarly. Pre heart surgery Jeff Green was one of the most violent dunkers of that era with Jason Richardson and Desmond Mason, he was absolutely violent if he had any runway. But he has also always been very fluid, but not an overwhelming athlete without space - which is what I see in Holland. I do think Ron has more potential with the ball in his hands, but if he turns into a similar player to Green over his career, that's very worthy of a pick on that 5-10 range in most drafts.

Jeff Green has played 55% of his career minutes at PF and ZERO minutes at guard. People consistently have weird takes on this kind of prospect (Ron Holland). Jaylen Brown as a prospect was similarly erroneously labeled a PF by Draft Express. Jaylen Brown has only played 4% of his career NBA minutes at PF.

SeattleJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,489

Post#135 » by SeattleJazzFan » Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:17 pm

bucknut wrote:i see lots of mixed opinions on his athleticism/explosiveness

to me i see kawhi athletically more than brown and that is who he should be modeling his game after. From the high socks, to the limited amount of flash - holland needs to just use fundamentals on offense to score - he isn't breaking anyones ankles.

problem is kawhi shot 37 percent from 3 as a rookie and holland is 24 percent and in 60s on free throws.

If holland can't shoot i'm taking a plethora of guys over him like a josh minott who was a later round pick for example

at holland's age, kawhi was a 20% 3pt shooter from the college line.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#136 » by babyjax13 » Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:38 pm

SelfishPlayer wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:

Jeff Green has played 55% of his career minutes at PF and ZERO minutes at guard. People consistently have weird takes on this kind of prospect (Ron Holland). Jaylen Brown as a prospect was similarly erroneously labeled a PF by Draft Express. Jaylen Brown has only played 4% of his career NBA minutes at PF.

Green played mostly power forward in OKC for because he was next to Durant, otherwise his prime years he played like 70/30 at small forward. IMO, on most teams Holland is going to be a 3, though he's athletic enough to play at the 2. As he fills out I would not be surprised if he plays some power forward, too. Brown was also listed as a shooting guard - small forward at the combine (what he has played in the NBA). I think Draft Express listed where players played in college because their video scouting report called him a sg/sf.

JColl
SelfishPlayer
Head Coach

Post#137 » by SelfishPlayer » Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:03 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
SelfishPlayer wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:Jeff Green was also 3 years older when drafted. His freshman year of college he was listed at 215, though I doubt he was quite that big. I also highly disagree that Holland is more nimble, Green was a fantastic athlete as a young player which is why he is still effective at 37 years old. I think Green is a pretty reasonable comp, they move eerily similarly. Pre heart surgery Jeff Green was one of the most violent dunkers of that era with Jason Richardson and Desmond Mason, he was absolutely violent if he had any runway. But he has also always been very fluid, but not an overwhelming athlete without space - which is what I see in Holland. I do think Ron has more potential with the ball in his hands, but if he turns into a similar player to Green over his career, that's very worthy of a pick on that 5-10 range in most drafts.

Green played mostly power forward in OKC for because he was next to Durant, otherwise his prime years he played like 70/30 at small forward. IMO, on most teams Holland is going to be a 3, though he's athletic enough to play at the 2. As he fills out I would not be surprised if he plays some power forward, too. Brown was also listed as a shooting guard - small forward at the combine (what he has played in the NBA). I think Draft Express listed where players played in college because their video scouting report called him a sg/sf.

Draft Express clearly lists Jaylen Brown as a SF/PF on his profile page, it is still up util this very day. Jeff Green has played the majority of his career minutes at PF, in no way can he be defined by any of the minutes he has played at SF and certainly can not be speculated to be slated to play MORE minutes at SF just because another player occupied minutes at SF. At one point in time Lauri Markkanen was a starting SF, that doesn't alter the fact that he has played 60% of his minutes at PF. Jeff Green went to the Finals as a starting PF and spent some time with a losing Boston franchise at SF. So what?

elias808
Junior
And1: 337

Post#138 » by elias808 » Mon Jun 17, 2024 5:32 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:

Additionally, Kawhi shot that 37% on 1.7 attempts per game, so not exactly a large sample size. Tankathon also has Hollands free throw % at 73%, not in the 60s.
bucknut
Junior

Post#139 » by bucknut » Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:31 am

SelfishPlayer wrote:
bucknut wrote:His g league coach compares him to eddie jones/sprewell mix. i guess i can see it if he can develop how to shoot

I can see that comparison with his 3.5 steal rate. People don't understand that Holland is only 18 years old and spent an entire season going against players that have NBA athleticism, so when he out athletes them it means MORE than when a college player does that against other college players. Holland is running circles around G League players with a 3.5 steal rate. One G League game announcer said "He reminds me of a poor man's Russell Westbrook." That's right in line with the Sprewell comparison. Super fast guys with loads of energy generating steals.

i think holland can be more than a energy/rim runner. if you look close you can really see the eddie jones - the short choppy quick footwork - and he has moments where he is getting jumper separation with that footwork. i actually see alot more eddie jones then sprewell the way he moves - that is what gives him all star potential - scary potential if his shot improves
QingJames
Sixth Man
And1: 2,319

Post#140 » by QingJames » Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:25 pm

SeattleJazzFan wrote:

Kawhi has one of the rarest development curves in the NBA, along with Jaylen Brown who people are also throwing around in this thread. The odds are overwhelming that a guy who is a terrible shooter before the NBA is likely to be a bad-to-terrible shooter in the NBA. Almost no-one has the Kawhi development leap.
eyeatoma wrote:You guys still dont' get it. Playoff accomplishment don't matter when you're up for your 1st MVP. When you're up for your 3rd in a row, damn straight it matters, as the only ones who done it are top 15 players of all time who have won rings.

Return to NBA Draft