Built vs Bought Spurs? I remember them trolling the heat about that

Moderators: cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77

WD
RealGM
And1: 3,234

Re: Built vs Bought Spurs? I remember them trolling the heat about that 

Post#21 » by WD » Sat Jul 4, 2015 7:15 pm

LMA is going to play for his home state, he gets a pass from me.
#HEATLifer
Star-Lord
Starter
And1: 1,325

Post#22 » by Star-Lord » Sat Jul 4, 2015 7:20 pm

They also tanked harder than pretty much any team in recent memory to get Duncan, too. But it's okay when the Spurs do it, not so much when the other 29 teams in the league try it.

Trying to make for higher moral ground when discussing professional sports in this context is rather silly. There isn't a single NBA fan who would've turned their back on their favorite team had they been able to put three of the top ten players currently together, just like there isn't a single NBA fan who would've turned their back on their team had they been able to do what the Spurs just did. And that's okay.
VeKKtorious
Sophomore
And1: 321

Post#23 » by VeKKtorious » Sat Jul 4, 2015 7:23 pm

It's times like these that make me wish we had a -1 button/tech button.
69longbois
Concrete Jungle
Sixth Man
And1: 1,084

Post#24 » by Concrete Jungle » Sat Jul 4, 2015 7:34 pm

"Man sit yo a** down"
:banghead:
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,323

Post#25 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Jul 4, 2015 7:40 pm

ITT: Hypocrites reaching for reasons to justify their inconsistent views.
Cmon_Son-_-
Head Coach
And1: 8,738

Post#26 » by Cmon_Son-_- » Sat Jul 4, 2015 7:40 pm

All of y'all are saying its just one guy, but if he went to Lakers...
| ̶G̶̶̶i̶̶̶a̶̶̶n̶̶̶n̶̶̶i̶̶̶s̶̶̶ ̶̶̶2̶̶̶0̶̶̶2̶̶̶1̶̶̶ ̶̶̶ ̶H̶̶̶a̶̶̶r̶̶̶d̶̶̶e̶̶̶n̶̶̶ ̶̶̶2̶̶̶0̶̶̶2̶̶̶0̶̶̶ ̶ ̶B̶e̶a̶l̶/̶L̶a̶v̶i̶n̶e̶/̶L̶i̶l̶l̶a̶r̶d̶/̶I̶r̶v̶i̶n̶g̶/̶M̶i̶t̶c̶h̶e̶l̶l̶ ̶2̶0̶2̶3 ̶L̶i̶l̶l̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶2̶.̶0̶ ̶2̶0̶2̶4̶ Jesus 2024| :pray:|
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,177

Post#27 » by PaulieWal » Sat Jul 4, 2015 7:44 pm

Who cares?

The whole "Built vs Bought" is lowest common denominator fan thinking to feel better about "their" team. No players play for free, all teams have to 'buy' their services whether you get them through the draft or in free agency.

And if back in 2010 Wade, LeBron or Bosh told the Spurs they wanted to play for the Spurs the Spurs would be doing every thing in their power to make it happen.
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.
Cubbies2120
Head Coach
And1: 8,750

Post#28 » by Cubbies2120 » Sat Jul 4, 2015 7:48 pm

pewing33ny wrote:duncan - draft
manu - draft
parker - draft
leonard - draft

guys like green, pmills, belineli, diaw were all guys who didn't do anything before and the spurs made them who they are.

i still don't like them after they beat us in '99 but you have to respect them

To be fair Diaw was pretty good w/ the Suns. He sucked w/ Charlotte due to being unmotivated there.
NBAfan3024
RealGM
And1: 7,035

Post#29 » by NBAfan3024 » Sat Jul 4, 2015 7:54 pm

Bought? They have signed one guy
ChosunX
Banned User
And1: 692

Post#30 » by ChosunX » Sat Jul 4, 2015 7:55 pm

JDizzel3000 wrote:It's funny seeing fans trying to rationalize their inconsistencies :lol:

Instead of just saying ...yeah we're clearly hypocritical ...were out here buying up chances to win just like everyone else ...and if we could buy MORE players we would ...its "Ohhh but it's only one guy"

Lmao ....it's just the silliness that's irritating ....that whole "built v bought" mantra was so damn corny and pathetic and now it looks even more ridiculous considering the way the Spurs were out here wining and dining LMA like a person wooing a love interest .... :nonono:

But who cares about rationality ....after all we're FANatics

Building is more difficult, so it's a source of pride, but there is nothing wrong with buying.
DarthDiggler69
General Manager
And1: 2,368

Built vs Bought Spurs? I remember them trolling the heat about that 

Post#31 » by DarthDiggler69 » Sat Jul 4, 2015 7:56 pm

Stupid topic, not even comparable

Spurs are a championship team with cap space and added a big time player

Heat who weren't good, had 3 franchise players from three different teams collude several years before so all signed on one team during their free agency.
JDizzel3000
Analyst
And1: 1,043

Post#32 » by JDizzel3000 » Sat Jul 4, 2015 8:06 pm

ChosunX wrote:
JDizzel3000 wrote:It's funny seeing fans trying to rationalize their inconsistencies :lol:

Instead of just saying ...yeah we're clearly hypocritical ...were out here buying up chances to win just like everyone else ...and if we could buy MORE players we would ...its "Ohhh but it's only one guy"

Lmao ....it's just the silliness that's irritating ....that whole "built v bought" mantra was so damn corny and pathetic and now it looks even more ridiculous considering the way the Spurs were out here wining and dining LMA like a person wooing a love interest .... :nonono:

Building is more difficult, so it's a source of pride, but there is nothing wrong with buying.

Is building really more difficult when you're gifted one of the all time great players in the history of the game due to a draft lottery? :-?

Now with that said ..I mean of course on its face there's nothing wrong with building either way ....if you're a rationale person .....but too often were not dealing with rationale people

When "buying players" benefits their team it's "okay" ...it's "just one guy" it's ...."ohh he just wants to go back to Texas" it's .....whatever rationalization you want it to be

When another team does it ...it's "Ohhh you had to buy a ring" ...."we build over here in SA" ..."you had to form a super team"

:crazy:

It's comically hypocritical ....but as I said when your a FANatic ...rationality isn't a primary concern
JDizzel3000
Analyst

Post#33 » by JDizzel3000 » Sat Jul 4, 2015 8:21 pm

DarthDiggler69 wrote:Stupid topic, not even comparable

Spurs are a championship team with cap space and added a big time player

Heat who weren't good, had 3 franchise players from three different teams collude several years before so all signed on one team during their free agency.

Lol this has nothing to do with nothing... The rationalizations are hilarious

And smh at grown adults using words like collude yet having no idea what the word even means :noway:

Wow
JDizzel3000
Analyst

Re: 

Post#34 » by JDizzel3000 » Sat Jul 4, 2015 8:23 pm

NBAfan3024 wrote:Bought? They have signed one guy

How is that it buying a player? Is he not expected to help them win a championship?

The heat "only" signed 2 players lol ...that didn't stop the Spurs from getting on their high horse
PTPaQ
Pro Prospect
And1: 430

Post#35 » by PTPaQ » Sat Jul 4, 2015 8:25 pm

This was a reach that even Mr. Fantastic would be jealous of.
mateo82
Rookie
And1: 727

Re: Re: 

Post#36 » by mateo82 » Sat Jul 4, 2015 8:26 pm

RaptorKenny wrote:RSN

And no, I am not too interested in watching the royals live :lol:

The Heat colluded and took below market value salaries. LMA is getting the max. No one has ever said signing free agents was bad.
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#37 » by PaulieWal » Sat Jul 4, 2015 8:30 pm

mateo82 wrote:

The Heat colluded and took below market value salaries. LMA is getting the max. No one has ever said signing free agents was bad.

Duncan has been taking below market value salaries for years now. And they are signing LMA by giving Duncan another pay cut. I have nothing against the Spurs or Duncan but with the salary cap many players have to take pay cuts to field contenders. Dirk took one too to remain a playoff team.
JordansBulls wrote:The Warriors are basically a good college team until they meet a team with bigs in the NBA.
PaulieWal
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: 

Post#38 » by PaulieWal » Sat Jul 4, 2015 8:31 pm

NBAfan3024 wrote:Bought? They have signed one guy

They are all bought.....

No one plays for free as far as I know.
JDizzel3000
Analyst

Post#39 » by JDizzel3000 » Sat Jul 4, 2015 8:32 pm

mateo82 wrote:

You mean like what Tim Duncan has been doing the past few years ...lol
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 28,265

Post#40 » by Domejandro » Sat Jul 4, 2015 8:33 pm

This pretty much sums up my thoughts of the concept at hand. Though there are clear inconsistencies between the two situations, people are simply accepting the rational for one whilst completely disregarding any sense for the other. Most comments in the thread are laced with defensive hypocrisy.

As a Minnesota fan, I could only dream of buying a successful team, so I simply have to sit and watch like an infant that desperately clings to his stuffed bear, clamoring for any new toys to come his way, but even with that said, I cannot get mad at other teams for having success in signing free-agents. I guarantee anyone aggravated at the Miami situation would have found no issue with it had LeBron decided to go to their favourite team, the denial of this is simply silly.

I will edit in that the first post (of the thread) is absolutely laced with defensiveness and I cannot get behind it, but the thought behind the post is not completely misguided.

Return to The General Board