How many players does the Thunder have under roster now?

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,506

Re: How many players does the Thunder have under roster now? 

Post#21 » by Kizz Fastfists » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:04 am

I'm not worried about them being able to unload Kanter. I'm more concerned about them being able to maximize Ilyasova's contract into a quality player. That move has to be done on July 1st and it is unlikely a team will know for a fact that they are landing their top FA choice before they would have to pull the trigger than release him to clear the space. So it will have to be a team that knows that without rolling the dice they are stuck as a first round exit.

Sending Ilyasova and McGary to Memphis for Randolph would make some sense. Memphis could try to keep Conley and bring in someone like Horford to play next to Gasol or go for multiple 3&D wings like Bazemore and Courtney Lee and a cheaper PF like David Lee, who will be an undervalued FA. There are some other teams who also make sense. We could also end up just releasing him to clear space because we couldn't find a taker.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#22 » by Andre Roberstan » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:18 am

Kizz Fastfists wrote:I'm not worried about them being able to unload Kanter. I'm more concerned about them being able to maximize Ilyasova's contract into a quality player. That move has to be done on July 1st and it is unlikely a team will know for a fact that they are landing their top FA choice before they would have to pull the trigger than release him to clear the space. So it will have to be a team that knows that without rolling the dice they are stuck as a first round exit.

Sending Ilyasova and McGary to Memphis for Randolph would make some sense. Memphis could try to keep Conley and bring in someone like Horford to play next to Gasol or go for multiple 3&D wings like Bazemore and Courtney Lee and a cheaper PF like David Lee, who will be an undervalued FA. There are some other teams who also make sense. We could also end up just releasing him to clear space because we couldn't find a taker.

I think we keep Ilyasova unless Presti has a replacement lined up. He's not that bad.
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#23 » by spearsy23 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:45 am

dbrandon wrote:
Kizz Fastfists wrote:I'm not worried about them being able to unload Kanter. I'm more concerned about them being able to maximize Ilyasova's contract into a quality player. That move has to be done on July 1st and it is unlikely a team will know for a fact that they are landing their top FA choice before they would have to pull the trigger than release him to clear the space. So it will have to be a team that knows that without rolling the dice they are stuck as a first round exit.

I think we keep Ilyasova unless Presti has a replacement lined up. He's not that bad.

He was 88th among pf's in rpm and 602nd overall in rapm. He's Perkins level bad at this point in his career.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,211

Post#24 » by bondom34 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:12 am

spearsy23 wrote:
dbrandon wrote:

He was 88th among pf's in rpm and 602nd overall in rapm. He's Perkins level bad at this point in his career.

Agree, I just don't know what they do. I really don't see them players in free agency. I think it could be an issue tbh. Unless of course they just start Robes at 4.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,506

Post#25 » by Kizz Fastfists » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:34 am

bondom34 wrote:Agree, I just don't know what they do. I really don't see them players in free agency. I think it could be an issue tbh. Unless of course they just start Robes at 4.

They either trade him with McGary to a team trying to shed payroll for a decent role player. Taj Gibson, Gortat, Tyreke, Zach Randolph, Ariza, Terrence Ross, etc. The other option is to release him and have more to spend in FA after moving Kanter and Singler. Right now just cutting Ilyasova puts them $2M under the cap. Find a taker for Kanter and Singler and release Morrow and they are $27M under. That is almost a max contract if not there. I think they'd have to give away McGary also. Then resign KD and get your MLE and bi-yearly players and you are set.

Assume they go the add a max player route:

Russ/Payne
Roberson/Oladipo
KD/MLE/Huestis
Horford/Sabonis/Collison
Adams/bi-yearly

They would also still have the trade exception from Kanter to use. Maybe they would have something worked out to help a team clear space or maybe Presti would be holding it for during the season or next off-season to help someone clear room. In this scenario I like Joe Johnson as the MLE and Cole Aldrich as the bi-yearly. David West would be a good vet minimum ring chaser.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,211

Post#26 » by bondom34 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:38 am

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
bondom34 wrote:Agree, I just don't know what they do. I really don't see them players in free agency. I think it could be an issue tbh. Unless of course they just start Robes at 4.

They either trade him with McGary to a team trying to shed payroll for a decent role player. Taj Gibson, Gortat, Tyreke, Zach Randolph, Ariza, Terrence Ross, etc. The other option is to release him and have more to spend in FA after moving Kanter and Singler. Right now just cutting Ilyasova puts them $2M under the cap. Find a taker for Kanter and Singler and release Morrow and they are $27M under. That is almost a max contract if not there. I think they'd have to give away McGary also. Then resign KD and get your MLE and bi-yearly players and you are set.

Assume they go the add a max player route:

Russ/Payne
Roberson/Oladipo
KD/MLE/Huestis
Horford/Sabonis/Collison
Adams/bi-yearly

They would also still have the trade exception from Kanter to use. Maybe they would have something worked out to help a team clear space or maybe Presti would be holding it for during the season or next off-season to help someone clear room. In this scenario I like Joe Johnson as the MLE and Cole Aldrich as the bi-yearly. David West would be a good vet minimum ring chaser.

Possible, I just don't know who or if Presti moves anyone.

And I hate to say it but for the first time I'm not as confident in KD. I don't know why, and honestly I hate he's taking these meetings after how he spoke after the season, but its weird. I just don't trust it. I'm starting to wonder, and I don't think the other teams are better options but he doesn't sound committed.

Edit; Also as said below not sure about the TPE, and I didn't check the numbers but they may be off, I haven't checked Smitty's sheets. I feel like they're further over the cap.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#27 » by Pillendreher » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:00 am

Don't all those exceptions count against the cap as well? I don't think you can use your cap space and then use MLE afterwards.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Pillendreher
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#28 » by Pillendreher » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:04 am

spearsy23 wrote:
dbrandon wrote:

Let's be real: Starting him would basically be the same as starting Channing Frye. Everybody would laugh at you for doing that on a contender. There's a reason this guy is on his 3rd team in 12 months. Not once did he crack the Top 30 for his position in RPM over the last 3 seasons. J.E.'s Multiyear RAPM has him at -1.51 ORAPM|-1.63 DRAPM|-3.14 RAPM - that's 602nd out of 658 players. Let me tell you who's 600th: Perry Jones.

This is why I firmly believe that Presti is not done, not by a long shot.
"I don't know of any player that, when the shot goes up, he doesn't want it to go in," Donovan said
Andre Roberstan
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,623

Post#29 » by Andre Roberstan » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:26 pm

Pillendreher wrote:Don't all those exceptions count against the cap as well? I don't think you can use your cap space and then use MLE afterwards.

Yeah, they do. All available exceptions, including TPEs.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder