Kings Hire Luke Bornn As VP Of Analytics And Strategy

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Kings Hire Luke Bornn As VP Of Analytics And Strategy 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:01 am

The Sacramento Kings have hired Luke Bornn as VP of Analytics and Strategy.

Bornn, 31, will replace Roland Beech who left the Kings' front office this offseason.

Bornn will leave soccer giant A.S. Roma as well as his positions as an assistant professor at Simon Fraser University and visiting scholar at Harvard University.

“We’ll be looking at more advanced modeling tools often with the player tracking data to try and get a deeper understanding of player performance,” Bornn told NBC Sports California. “There is a lot of what happens on the court that really is not picked up by the box score. A lot of players that make big contributions make it in ways that don’t appear. It’s not an assist, it’s not a rebound, it’s not a block.”

According to their site, “SportVU utilizes a six-camera system installed in basketball arenas to track the real-time positions of players and the ball 25 times per second. Utilizing this tracking data, STATS is able to create a wealth of innovative statistics based on speed, distance, player separation and ball possession.”

Bornn was introduced to the world of basketball data by Kirk Goldsberry while at Harvard in 2012.

“Kirk and I sort of hit it off,” Bornn said. “He had just gotten SportVU data and he basically said to me, ‘I have this data, but I have no idea what to do with it, I have the basketball side, but I don’t have the technical side.’ I had the technical side and so it started a long collaboration of working with player tracking data.”

Bornn will build a database that is accessible to players, coaches and the front office.

“My role with the Kings will be all encompassing,” Bornn said. “It’s player evaluation, opponent scouting, it’s performance - with the sports science group there. We’ll be looking at all aspects, from the basics of stats, all the way to the more advanced metrics.”

Via James Ham/NBC Sports California

Pedro
Senior
And1: 58

Re: Kings Hire Luke Bornn As VP Of Analytics And Strategy 

Post#2 » by Pedro » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:12 am

No computation will beat a set of eyes on someone with an understanding of the game and a high bball IQ.
mastermixer
Starter
And1: 2,975

Post#3 » by mastermixer » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:24 pm

Should have went with Lloyd Braun
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr
Yuri Vaultin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,280

Post#4 » by Yuri Vaultin » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:22 pm

What's the over/under before Ranadivé chases him off screaming about a cherry picker based offence that his kids' team utilizes quite well, analytics be damned.
Props to Turbo_Zone for the sig.

Return to Wiretap Discussion