ImageImageImage

No one in Boston wants Jimmy Butler

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

burgerplex
Junior
And1: 41

Re: No one in Boston wants Jimmy Butler 

Post#201 » by burgerplex » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:04 am

Asking price is too high for Butler. Wait the Bulls out and see if they panic. Maybe they'll take the LAC and MEM picks instead.
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,709

Post#202 » by Green89 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:11 am

OFWGKTA wrote:
Leprechaun18 wrote:NESN is reporting http://nesn.com/2017/06/nba-rumors-either-celtics-cavs-will-acquire-jimmy-butler-boston-had-offer-rejected/ that Danny has offered the #3 pick for Butler, but was declined. What does chicago want? Butler only has two years left on his contract?

Their source is the Chicago article earlier, and the NESN guy can't cite his source properly. Boston said no to Butler for #3.

First mistake: using NESN as a source for anything basketball related.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,876

Post#203 » by Curmudgeon » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:13 am

"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
BigTrade92
General Manager
And1: 10,685

Post#204 » by BigTrade92 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:16 am

Is there a bigger front office joke than the Bulls?

Those guys are the most indecisive, stubborn, thickhead bunch of jokes.

I hope they hang onto Butler and get absolutely nothing for him at the deadline.
Marley2Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 2,427

Post#205 » by Marley2Hendrix » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:44 am

BigTrade92 wrote:Is there a bigger front office joke than the Bulls?

I hope they hang onto Butler and get absolutely nothing for him at the deadline.

No doubt. I 'member when this was a thing:

You gotta make it sexy! Hips and nips, otherwise I'm not eating.
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#206 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:20 am

Marley2Hendrix wrote:
BigTrade92 wrote:Is there a bigger front office joke than the Bulls?

No doubt. I 'member when this was a thing:

sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#207 » by sully00 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:29 am

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
soxfan2003 wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
Let's make it 2 bets then.
1) I will bet you $20 that Paul George won't be a Celtic this season.
2) I will bet you another $20 that LeBron and George are Lakers in 2018-19.

No I will only do the bet that if Ainge has the guts to trade for George that he stays in Boston. Many players including Ainge have pointed out when players that didn't even like Boston at first are traded to the Celtics, they tend to like it.

That's the thing though - Ainge doesn't have the guts because he sees the writing on the wall. George wanted to be a Laker when they had garbage. Now they're going to be able to get LeBron as well.

While I agree that if George was in LAL it might be more attractive to Lebron. James is going to be 34 years old at some point who cares? It isn't a power move it is a get knocked out in the second round move.

I don't necessarily understand George's play here. It isn't a issue of guts it is price. Without the LAL nonsense George is a one year rental nothing besides a new contract is going to change that. IND should have traded him at the deadline, probably the same with Butler the price only goes down in these situations I don't think either player will get a top 5 pick in this draft. 7 with Minn for Butler maybe. I think LAL's offer for George will be insulting and it will only get worse from there.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690

Post#208 » by GoCeltics123 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:49 am

Read on Twitter
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#209 » by sully00 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:44 am

I think that Boston wants Butler and CHI is ready to deal. The issue is that Ainge is not willing to include #3. We need to keep in mind that Ainge thinks whoever he is getting at #3 is the best player in a deep draft. Ainge still has lots of assets to deal and more than CHI will likely see from anyone else I just don't think #3 is an option.

It would seem that '18 BRK pick is off the table as well. But the '18 Laker pick is a hell of an option and Boston can give up more picks as far as their own picks and the LAC and MEM picks.
BullsFTW
Head Coach
And1: 1,893

Post#210 » by BullsFTW » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:51 am

I'd be fine with #3 & Brown + Filler for Butler
ArtistNBA
Junior
And1: 98

Post#211 » by ArtistNBA » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:55 am

We don't need bulter, all depend if we can sign Hayward, the #3 pick tomorrow is off the table
Stay Classy my friend
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#212 » by Spin Move » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:07 am

So Butler is a really good player and #3 is a very reasonable price for him, but I don't think we are building for now I think we are building for 4 or 5 years from now when the GS window is closing. So as tempting as it is to upgrade now, we know we are not winning the tittle this year or next so why sacrifice future picks. Sign Hayward makese sense. I would trade some of the lesser picks and Smart/Rozier etc for him, but not any of the Brooklyn or LA /Sac picks if we are not going all in.
ajones9219
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,588

Post#213 » by ajones9219 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:14 am

Spin Move wrote:So Butler is a really good player and #3 is a very reasonable price for him, but I don't think we are building for now I think we are building for 4 or 5 years from now when the GS window is closing. So as tempting as it is to upgrade now, we know we are not winning the tittle this year or next so why sacrifice future picks. Sign Hayward makese sense. I would trade some of the lesser picks and Smart/Rozier etc for him, but not any of the Brooklyn or LA /Sac picks if we are not going all in.

That’s way more risky in my opinion. You have a bunch of teams that are up and coming. There’s always going to be a super team in the way so you might as well build now while you have two all stars and the assets to grab two more
drs123310
Sophomore
And1: 241

Post#214 » by drs123310 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:18 am

Have gone back and forth on this plenty of times in my head. I think my conclusion is if we can finagle this without #3 or BK18 included, get it done. I would have to imagine that even withholding those, we would easily be able to beat anything CLE offers with our plethera of youth and picks.

I would have to run the contract numbers and think over the value, but some mix of:

Brown (if we are confident in Hayward, and drafting Jackson helps), AB, Jae, LAC pick, MEM pick, LAL/SAC pick. Again, not all of these, but some combo that our FO asses as fair. The bulls would be setup nicely for a rebuild
The Truth hurts
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#215 » by Spin Move » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:20 am

ajones9219 wrote:
Spin Move wrote:So Butler is a really good player and #3 is a very reasonable price for him, but I don't think we are building for now I think we are building for 4 or 5 years from now when the GS window is closing. So as tempting as it is to upgrade now, we know we are not winning the tittle this year or next so why sacrifice future picks. Sign Hayward makese sense. I would trade some of the lesser picks and Smart/Rozier etc for him, but not any of the Brooklyn or LA /Sac picks if we are not going all in.

That’s way more risky in my opinion. You have a bunch of teams that are up and coming. There’s always going to be a super team in the way so you might as well build now while you have two all stars and the assets to grab two more

No there is not always a team like the Warriors they are possibly the greatest team of all time (certainly the best shooting team of all time) the gap between them and us is soo huge that 2 all stars does not bridge it. Lets pretend we were talking about The lakers Pau teams or the Mavericks who won it, those were good teams but they were not true super teams, The Warriors are soo much better then everyone else its not funny. Even if we got Butler and signed Hayward we would still lack the rebounding and shotblocking to compete with them, we would not be good enough defensively. Yes it is risky but it is safer then throwing all your chips in when there are 3 Aces on the board you think the other guy has one and you don't. Don't get me wrong I think about it long and hard if I know a 2nd all star is coming, but in that case we can't just trade 3 for butler due to salary cap issues.
ajones9219
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,588

Post#216 » by ajones9219 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:22 am

Spin Move wrote:
ajones9219 wrote:

No there is not always a team like the Warriors they are possibly the greatest team of all time (certainly the best shooting team of all time) the gap between them and us is soo huge that 2 all stars does not bridge it. Lets pretend we were talking about The lakers Pau teams or the Mavericks who won it, those were good teams but they were not true super teams, The Warriors are soo much better then everyone else its not funny. Even if we got Butler and signed Hayward we would still lack the rebounding and shotblocking to compete with them, we would not be good enough defensively. Yes it is risky but it is safer then throwing all your chips in when there are 3 Aces on the board you think the other guy has one and you don't. Don't get me wrong I think about it long and hard if I know a 2nd all star is coming, but in that case we can't just trade 3 for butler due to salary cap issues.

I disagree. I think that teams hangs with golden state and you still have a ton of future assets
Novocaine
Veteran
And1: 1,584

Post#217 » by Novocaine » Wed Jun 21, 2017 6:16 am

Why arent' you trading Thomas/Horford/Crowder/Bradley right now then? At least a couple of them?

Seems like Ainge is trying to just stay competitive as long as possible. Be a quasi-contender now, be a quasi-contender later.

Should pick a window and maximize chances in that one.
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#218 » by Tiny ball » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:21 am

BullsFTW wrote:I'd be fine with #3 & Brown + Filler for Butler

I would be fine with saying no way.. I would not give up Brown even for Butler.. filler and a some low level first round pick guys like Mickey and Jackson and I would take him off your hands.
Tiny ball
Veteran
And1: 840

Post#219 » by Tiny ball » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:34 am

drs123310 wrote:Have gone back and forth on this plenty of times in my head. I think my conclusion is if we can finagle this without #3 or BK18 included, get it done. I would have to imagine that even withholding those, we would easily be able to beat anything CLE offers with our plethera of youth and picks.

I would have to run the contract numbers and think over the value, but some mix of:

Brown (if we are confident in Hayward, and drafting Jackson helps), AB, Jae, LAC pick, MEM pick, LAL/SAC pick. Again, not all of these, but some combo that our FO asses as fair. The bulls would be setup nicely for a rebuild

No way do you trade a upside three pick for a wore out bottom of the first round pick.

He has bad back and knee problems.. He takes whole games off even important games. He is not a star. Brown gets more time on nba tv than he does.
patman52
Lead Assistant
And1: 848

Post#220 » by patman52 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:21 am

I think 90% of celtic fans want him but as the other posters said at what price? We can't get Butler and Hayward and I rather have hayward costing 10 mill more and the assets than Butler and 10 mill in space. With the 10 mill in space you can't get much more than a MLE player anyway.

Return to Boston Celtics